PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: Hireling Distance

Cam_Neely
04-21-2011, 11:24 AM
In NWN I could interact with my hireling, and s/he gained level items ect. That is great an all, but I would give my right index finger for the ability to tell Haystack

"Hey man, this is going to get a bit nasty, lots of cleaving Orthons. As opposed to sticking your hand in my back pocket (which honestly is getting a bit creepy) and hanging right next to me, how about you stay about 20 feet behind me?"

Should not be to hard to set a distance on the hirelings.

Cam_Neely
04-21-2011, 11:25 AM
/signed. Best post ever Cam. Go Bruins.

redspecter23
04-21-2011, 11:28 AM
/signed 1000 times. Having a "stay" and "stay 2" from me" as the only options seems a bit limiting. Perhaps some middle ground options like "stay 5' away", "stay 25' away" etc could be added so I don't have to manually tell my hireling to move to me, then stay, then move to me, then stay...

TheDjinnFor
04-21-2011, 11:39 AM
In NWN I could interact with my hireling, and s/he gained level items ect. That is great an all, but I would give my right index finger for the ability to tell Haystack

"Hey man, this is going to get a bit nasty, lots of cleaving Orthons. As opposed to sticking your hand in my back pocket (which honestly is getting a bit creepy) and hanging right next to me, how about you stay about 20 feet behind me?"

Should not be to hard to set a distance on the hirelings.

Back when they didn't stick their hand in your back pocket... it really sucked when they would stand in a trap 10 feet behind you because you happen to be standing still fighting or whatever. A toggle would be nice (do nothing means stick to me like glue, defense means hang back a few steps), a move command even nicer (go there and stay, rather than me having to be there to tell you to stay put), but I'll take whatever I can get, really.

chodelord
04-21-2011, 11:43 AM
Hirelings smart enough to do their job at maximum distance, yet not stand in the fire are probably too much to ask for.

but /signed for what its worth

Cam_Neely
04-21-2011, 11:48 AM
Back when they didn't stick their hand in your back pocket... it really sucked when they would stand in a trap 10 feet behind you because you happen to be standing still fighting or whatever. A toggle would be nice (do nothing means stick to me like glue, defense means hang back a few steps), a move command even nicer (go there and stay, rather than me having to be there to tell you to stay put), but I'll take whatever I can get, really.

Yes it would be a branch off the follow me option in my mind. You tell them

"Please Follow me at X Distance"
1.) Right on me
2.) 5 Feet behind me
3.) 15 Feet behind me
4.) 30 Feet behind me

All the other command (ie stand your ground) are the same.

Templarion
04-21-2011, 11:56 AM
/signed

Talon_Moonshadow
04-21-2011, 12:12 PM
/signed. :mad:

I've had some luck telling them to protect a summoned monster, which seem to hesitate to enter combat.

Gnorbert
04-21-2011, 12:30 PM
on my melees I tell the hireling to "protect" the caster of the group. For whatever reason this would never trigger them to heal that caster on their own (being changed in this update) but would at least keep them out of melee range most of the time.

I would like to see the Hirelings have chat options. so you summon them, then interact with them and get several dialogue options including one to choose between 3 following distances and others perhaps to set other parameters such as;

"Please break any breakables you notice"

"Please heal others in the party" / "Please only heal me"

"Please use your intimidate whenever available"

"Please don't swing your apparently fragile weapon at oozes because you are too stupid to understand that it will break and you will be left useless for the rest of the dungeon."

Alexxander
04-21-2011, 01:10 PM
While were at it could you get my summons and my hireling summons to stand further away. They are always in the way when I try to click on things.

Marcus-Hawkeye
04-21-2011, 01:16 PM
/signed
I find myself saying the same thing. A distance setting would be fantastic.

danotmano1998
04-21-2011, 01:17 PM
/signed!!!!!

Yes, please. This would be nice.
Playing the devil's advocate though, you COULD do what I do....
1. Move to a safe location, tell the hireling "STAY!"
2. Go fight the big fight
3. Repeat as necessary

This works, but takes more clicking, I know..

Having the hirelings toggle on/off abilities, casting, etc.. would be nice as well.
Like...
Use skills whenever possible,
Use skills sparingly,
Don't use skills..

or...
Caster Nuke mode,
Caster scaled mode,
Caster off mode. (Use your staff, you lazy bugger! :))

Gnorbert
04-21-2011, 01:19 PM
/signed. Best post ever Cam. Go Bruins.

almost missed this...

Go Habs Go! :D