PDA

View Full Version : Raid Loot System

Nexx
04-21-2011, 10:58 AM
So for a very long time I've come across plenty threads about proxy rolling etc.

To be honest, the current raid loot system with rolling could be changed.

(And yes I already know this isn't WoW..so shhh!!)

But what I've come across in WoW is that the winning roll get the item automatically

transfered into the players bag. Now, I think that's the smartest way to prevent any

more people from rolling on loot they intend to pass to a guildie or sell to another player.

I dunno, I just think it'd take the headache away from the players of having to

constantly blacklist players for doing this, heh.

Would something like that be too difficult to implement??

redspecter23
04-21-2011, 11:01 AM
As good as that sounds in theory, it's still open for griefing. Say you put a +4 wis tome up for roll but only want monks, clerics and favored souls to roll on it. Nothing is stopping the barbarian from rolling and winning and they getting the loot autoassigned. It's possible he may just roll by accident as well. I've seen people roll on loot they already have but just don't know about, or just roll for kicks to see "if they would have won" if the roll counted.

Nexx
04-21-2011, 11:04 AM
As good as that sounds in theory, it's still open for griefing. Say you put a +4 wis tome up for roll but only want monks, clerics and favored souls to roll on it. Nothing is stopping the barbarian from rolling and winning and they getting the loot autoassigned. It's possible he may just roll by accident as well. I've seen people roll on loot they already have but just don't know about, or just roll for kicks to see "if they would have won" if the roll counted.

Hm that is very true. I never really think of the other what if's just the current issue as it stands, lol.

What would be cool is if some how you were able to choose from a list of who you would allow to roll for the item, thus the rest being unable to roll.

Ah.. I guess I could dream :P

redspecter23
04-21-2011, 11:11 AM
Perhaps just make it so once the item is assigned to another player, it goes right into their pack. So rolls would happen as they normally do, but if you win and are passed the item, it loots if for you automatically. Still you have the potential to misclick a name so a simple confirmation box would solve 99% of those issues as well.

Gnorbert
04-21-2011, 11:14 AM
Most often those loot drama threads are the result of one of two things.

1. The original owner of the item was not specific enough with their parameters when putting the item up for roll.

2. The person who won the roll was specifically trying to deceive the party.

I love that DDO puts the power of control into the hands of the players. An item in a chest does not leap magically into someone's pack. It is picked up by a player who specifically clicks on it. The system at how the person able to click on it is determined is an excellent social dynamic. The community has ways of dealing with offenders, generally by ostracizing them.

Khanyth
04-21-2011, 11:48 AM
First off..... I think turbine does a nice job of leaving the issue alone, so that people can solve their own issues of loots. IMHO, we don't need to be micromanaged in this way....

Also, I've never played WoW, so I don't know their method......

That being said, I could see the option of how it could be done. Hopefully, this makes sense:

1. Chest is popped.
2. A timer (20 seconds) starts
3. Players have 20 seconds to get their loot
4. Any items not taken, go public and up for grabs
5. A window pops up, saying "<Character name> has left this item in the chest. Would you like it?" with a yes/no option
6. If you choose yes, the computer autorolls a 1d100 for you. If you choose no, it goes to the next item and asks you the same question as in #5
7. Rinse and repeat #6 until all items are gone.

No results are public other than if players tell one another. Players get a message saying either they won the roll or lost the roll.

Loot drama threads still happen with a "Someone popped the chest while I was dead" or "Someone popped the chest and I was too late to get it" or "Why can't I know who won?" drama.

It might not be perfect, but no system will be and sure it needs some tweeking, but the premise is sound, imho

Gkar
04-21-2011, 11:55 AM
No, we don't need an autopass.

For one thing just because the 6chr barb rolls on that +4 chr tome doesn't mean I have any intention of letting him have it if that tome started in my name.

Templarion
04-21-2011, 12:01 PM
I don't want anything automatically shared to anyone.

I have my own methods how I give my loot to other players if I don't need it personally.

RangerOne
04-21-2011, 12:33 PM
The thing is, there is no "raid loot system."
Loot drops in a raid like every other quest. All the rolls, rules and conventions are not part of the game as devised by Turbine, they're "house rules" made by the players. So I would have to be against anything that automatically moves items to my inventory. We all reach a point where we leave things in the chest. I wouldn't want a mechanism that forces me to take things, or puts them in automatically.