PDA

View Full Version : Idea: in-game cinematics

stille_nacht
04-19-2011, 08:52 PM
ok, i admit it, this is an IDEA, it is probably too much effort, and it will probably never happen.
BUT: i think itd be cool

so yeah, im a sucker for immersion, feeling like part of the events, caring about what happens, and for me, one of the primary ways that happens is the in game cinematic, which forces you to see the action at least for a short while.

EX: instead of little tiny lines of text in ToD, cut to a shrot cinematic (possibly with much higher graphics quality then normal ddo) which has horoth arguing with his generals (with good voice acting :D)

i feel like this would make me feal a lot more "into" the game.

of course, these would get tiresome after a while, so include a skip option, as long as 2/3 party agrees, the cinematic is skipped (at bottom of screen: click to skip)

NOTE: some people dont care about immersion- well then you probably wont care about this idea, move along to another thread :]

LoveNeverFails
04-19-2011, 08:55 PM
I like the idea. but after the first time, i don't ever want to have to see it again. and yet some idiot is gonna come along that insists on watching it EVERY FRACKING TIME!!!

That could get annoying...

shortdevils
04-19-2011, 08:56 PM
For me, just giving the characters voices is enough *missess crystal cove*

stille_nacht
04-19-2011, 08:56 PM
I like the idea. but after the first time, i don't ever want to have to see it again. and yet some idiot is gonna come along that insists on watching it EVERY FRACKING TIME!!!

That could get annoying...

hmmm, true, i would have expected everyone to not watch after time 1, maybe change it to 2/3 vote?

~jradnut
04-19-2011, 09:05 PM
Maybe the voice over actors who say, "Trust in the Shroud..." and the Reaver's Fate script would be free.

What else would they have to do after waiting for hours in a soup line? :p

AmatsukaIncarnate
04-19-2011, 09:16 PM
I know this idea has been brought up in the past.

And I, for one, am completely in for any kind of immersion because as it stands, DDO's immersion is not very good.

(Instanced, no voices...ect)

I think this would be an awesome idea. I also think that the way it should be implemented is that the party leader decides if they are gonna watch it or not. On that note, in case the PL accidently chooses to watch it, there should be a way for the party leader to skip it in the middle as well.

If the PL decides, the LFMs might start to include things like "Watching cinema" or of the like.

As long as they're epic and not too long, people might not get too annoyed with it.

stille_nacht
04-19-2011, 09:18 PM
I know this idea has been brought up in the past.

And I, for one, am completely in for any kind of immersion because as it stands, DDO's immersion is not very good.

(Instanced, no voices...ect)

I think this would be an awesome idea. I also think that the way it should be implemented is that the party leader decides if they are gonna watch it or not. On that note, in case the PL accidently chooses to watch it, there should be a way for the party leader to skip it in the middle as well.

If the PL decides, the LFMs might start to include things like "Watching cinema" or of the like.

As long as they're epic and not too long, people might not get too annoyed with it.

its mroe of a "click if you wanna skip" so no way to accidentally not click :]

also, ddo immersion is + for DM, - for instanced, so i think it sort of balances out compared to other games

knightgf
04-19-2011, 09:22 PM
I think in-game cinematics would certainly make a big twist in the current DDO realm, because it exposes users to the enviroment more and can possibly show us things that were never possible before. However, it is tricky to implement in this game, and I would most definitely say it MUST come with a option to vote-skip the cinematic, otherwise players will get annoyed by these cinematics.

Possible ideas of cinematics include:

The first time you enter a wilderness area.
When your characters arrives at korthos or at the airship "Heart of wind".
The first time you enter something magnificent, say, a raid with impressive detail?

There are plenty of ideas to juggle about. I also wouldn't mind being able to replay the cutscene, although in different ways, by having them put in a 'replay cinematics' button, which will include and replace the 'intro movie' button.

In a nutshell:

/signed under certain conditions

Teech
04-19-2011, 09:23 PM
Apply it to quest givers/completers as either backstory or you recounting the story of getting the quest done.
That way any individual can take as long as they like.

Yes, its not perfect as immersion would be more fun while in-quest, but its a simple way to ensure that noone is wasting another's time.

Yaskin_Forrit
04-20-2011, 02:38 PM
on a slightly different note, the old intro movie (now accessible from a button on the character selection screen)...

where is that quest?

I would love to try that quest

amethystdragon
04-20-2011, 02:54 PM
While I like the idea and am all for more immersion, I do not think it should be done while in a quest.

You would end up with someone who "accidently" triggers the movie while the rest of the party is off fighting a mob. Then a movie starts up one everyone's screen, and they can no longer fight, but the mob is still agro on them.

I also have concerns about it causing lag, if it is played in a quest.

Now if we could have some type of movie, when we pick up a quest or turn it in, I think that might work. It would be easier to have the skip option this way.

Aerendil
04-20-2011, 02:55 PM
I suggested this a LONG time ago.

For anyone who's ever played FFXI, you'll know what I'm thinking about when I was all for in-game cinematics.
It could make for absolutely phenomenal battles, as well as increasing the immersion factor exponentially.

Granted, they do exist in small portions in DDO. Weapons Shipment, for example, has a minor cinematic, as well as a few other games, but they're generally real-time and simply have the enemies untargetable while they act out their scripts.
The FFXI version fades to an actual cutscene, where something happens, and then when it fades back to the game suddenly you have to deal with a changed environment and/or new monsters, which I find is far more immersive. Imagine beating on those portals in part 1 of Shroud, and then it fading to a cinematic where you watch the portals collapse inward, but not before <insert boss> steps through and bellows a challenge to you.
When the game resumes, suddenly the boss is there in front of you and battle commences.

/shrug
The way the current system works is "ok" in my opinion. I obviously wouldn't be here if I didn't enjoy it. But it could be improved IMO, and cinematics would be a great way to do that.

BOgre
04-20-2011, 02:56 PM
In game cinematics shouldn't be difficult at all to implement. Well, sure, if you're going for high res prerendered fully shaded/lit cutscenes/movies. But I'd be perfectly happy with some basic machinima using the engine itself and a seperate camara, a la Warcraft III, (or pretty much any blizzard game), and some decent voice acting. It's not new technology, the engine already supports it, and would add some great immersion to the game. Specifically, the quest giver's speech could be animated/machinima'd, with maybe a short camera sweep of the dungeon, the principal actors running off with the package, the miners being abducted, what have you. And of course the quest ending too.

I'd bet that if the tools were released to the public you'd see a ton of great machinima popping up, just like it had for every great game over the past umpteen years.