PDA

View Full Version : Found a way to make Bound to Account items/weapons

cdemeritt
04-17-2011, 07:08 PM
So, today I accidentally stumbled onto a way to make the Bound shards Bound to Account...

http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae165/TomThumb_03/ScreenShot00012.jpg

Start with bound to account items, and when you disjunction them, like guild slots or base metal, the Bound to account blank remains Bound to account...

Don't yet know if this is intended, or even if this is known about..

WielderofGigantus
04-17-2011, 07:56 PM
So where do you get bound to account random items? I know of a couple of quest chains that give in bound to account end rewards for completing the entire chain, but as it's random stuff, you won't always get the nice metal or guild augment that you're looking for....

Tuney
04-17-2011, 08:05 PM
Best place to find "Bind to Account" items are quest(s) (chains) that give named "Bound to account" items. Sence you don't care about the 'quaility' of said item, best to start with the 'shorter' quick chains that you can solo on higher level charaters.

bkasavan
04-17-2011, 08:10 PM
The only place i can think oof that gives bta non-named equipment, is Sharn Syndicate. i didnt no they gave items with materials? do they?

MeliCat
04-17-2011, 08:42 PM
The only place i can think oof that gives bta non-named equipment, is Sharn Syndicate. i didnt no they gave items with materials? do they?

yes

and the lordsmarch plaza quest end rewards too.

cdemeritt
04-17-2011, 08:46 PM
I've pulled BtA non-named items from every quest chain (WW, STK, Sharns, Tangleroot, Delera's Co6, etc, etc) As well as occasionally from Irestone, Sharns, and others (sharns most often, but others as well...)

Always that I've seen, it has been an end reward.
just make sure it is a random and not named item.

Wurmwood
04-17-2011, 09:22 PM
WAI
Been this way as said earlier for a while. Makes it so you can have lowbie gear in the shared bank for another character when you make another. This better stay the way it is.

Matuse
04-17-2011, 10:36 PM

All quest chains have these items. Waterworks, STK, Catacombs, Threnal, etc.

ZaxisDakmorr
04-17-2011, 11:25 PM
I found A LOT of em in the Red Fens as quest reward.

Seventh
04-17-2011, 11:25 PM
WAI
Been this way as said earlier for a while. Makes it so you can have lowbie gear in the shared bank for another character when you make another. This better stay the way it is.

Do we have a dev post anywhere stating this is WAI? It seems odd, since we're supposedly getting a non-bound crafting system later to go with the bound one.

cdemeritt
04-18-2011, 12:30 AM
Do we have a dev post anywhere stating this is WAI? It seems odd, since we're supposedly getting a non-bound crafting system later to go with the bound one.

Yeah, it seemed odd to me as well... But do hope this is WAI, as it will make crafted gear for other at a lower crafter level....

Backley
04-18-2011, 12:43 AM
Sounds similar to the fact that the Stone of Change Bind/Attune ritual on BTA items maintains BTA. So, you can already get a BTA weapon from a chain and add Force Damage Ritual to it.

Alabore
04-18-2011, 01:03 AM
These aren't the BtA items you were looking for...

;)

TechNoFear
04-18-2011, 02:00 AM
Sounds like a bug.

As a guess....the code is checking for 'bound' not 'BtC', succeding, and so failing to update the 'BtA' to 'BtC'.

Sounds similar to the fact that the Stone of Change Bind/Attune ritual on BTA items maintains BTA. So, you can already get a BTA weapon from a chain add Force Damage Ritual to it.

Sounds like the same bug and possibly the source.

If a dev reused some 'altar of change' code in the new crafting devices.

Alabore
04-18-2011, 02:17 AM
I am inclined to suspect it is not a bug.
More like the logical application of a known feature.

Wouldn't dwell on it much further though.
You know what happens to beneficial features...

:rolleyes:

Seventh
04-18-2011, 02:43 AM
This seems iffy. I wouldn't count on this lasting long if it makes it to live.

EustaceTrevelyan
04-19-2011, 06:46 PM
WAI

The BtA-ness of the items in original form is WAI, but i'm not sure the CRAFTABILITY of BtA items at every level of crafting is. It'd be nice if they left it like that tho. BtC makes this GS lite (well, in some cases it's better; you don't need cleansing essences to wear more than one.)

Bodic
04-19-2011, 06:54 PM
I have my +5 DD nml gear that dropd from WW for certain, and I wouldn't Decon those ever

Can you say a 10 Int rogue @lvl1 with a +22 DD skill add more w/ship buffs :)

Wurmwood
04-19-2011, 07:15 PM
Look at this in the long run. It will probably be a while before crafting BtA items will make it in live, but you never know. Now if you receive a bound randomly generated item from a quest, you should be able to use said bound item for crafting keeping the bound effect on it. It is a quest chain reward, you spent the time (real life time) to do the quest chain so as a reward you get said (random) item with a special property.
Choosing to craft said item into a +5 Holy/PG dagger is entirely up to you, it is your right as a subscriber/player to do so and have that item retain the BtA effect (That you spent your time to get as a special reward) so you can pass it along to another character of yours should you feel the need.
My best guess is that the ability to craft non BtC items will probably be very rare(costly?), being that you might have to level your schools very high or get BtA shards randomly from deconstruction. I foresee that a few BtA craftable items will probably make their way to the turbine store should you not want to take the long route to craft your special item(The trinket is already there). I know some people may have this false sense of duty, appeal to authority, or whatever it is that compels them to see crafting these BtA items as "wrong" but you are nipping yourself in the bud here. Don't force another "limit" to this game it will only frustrate you later. Many people pay money to play this game, others do not. But we all pay with the time we invest into it. So invest in more options that will be available to the player.

(There is still the bug where you can make items lose the minimum level, but this will be fixed so dreams of making BtA items with no minimum level will be quashed, as it should be)

cipherdawn
04-19-2011, 09:41 PM
Would be nice if a Dev confirmed this as WAI?

Gleep_Wurp
04-19-2011, 10:49 PM
too bad you posted about it. probably going to be a priority 1 fix now

KoboldTerror
04-20-2011, 09:58 AM
WAI

This is not intended. In this phase of crafting all crafted items should remain Bound to Character. A bug has been entered to fix this.

KoboldTerror
04-20-2011, 10:00 AM
(There is still the bug where you can make items lose the minimum level, but this will be fixed so dreams of making BtA items with no minimum level will be quashed, as it should be)

This bug will be fixed in the live update.

Thoon
04-20-2011, 10:11 AM

Yes, the Minimum Level bugs is fixed in the build that was put up on Lamannia today.

bryanmeerkat
04-20-2011, 10:28 AM
This is not intended. In this phase of crafting all crafted items should remain Bound to Character. A bug has been entered to fix this..

Few! for a very brief minute there there was actually going to be a use for crafting for non TR's .

bradleyforrest
04-20-2011, 10:40 AM
Few! for a very brief minute there there was actually going to be a use for crafting for non TR's .

Seriously. Can we also get a dev comment on if the bound crafting shards are supposed to be BtA or BtC? BtC just makes it a pointless system to have in the game. People will use it when it first comes out for the novelty, but will stop very quickly once the level of the grind is fully realized, coupled with the fact that you have to level crafting on ALL of your characters.

Just to be clear: I have no problem with the crafted items being BtC, but I think that the shards should be BtA so that you can level up a single crafting character to create the items for your account. That would be enough to get me to use the system. That, and the further release of more recipes and Unbound crafting.

stainer
04-20-2011, 10:46 AM
Seriously. Can we also get a dev comment on if the bound crafting shards are supposed to be BtA or BtC? BtC just makes it a pointless system to have in the game. People will use it when it first comes out for the novelty, but will stop very quickly once the level of the grind is fully realized, coupled with the fact that you have to level crafting on ALL of your characters.

Just to be clear: I have no problem with the crafted items being BtC, but I think that the shards should be BtA so that you can level up a single crafting character to create the items for your account. That would be enough to get me to use the system. That, and the further release of more recipes and Unbound crafting.

No Lam account, but I have been following this with interest. I would like to reiterate to the Devs that I am interested in working on crafting on a single character. I am not interested in doing it on 8 or 9 active characters. BtC crafting doesn't seem to be worth the investment. I hope that this is addressed before crafting is released.

Zzevel
04-20-2011, 11:05 AM
This is not intended. In this phase of crafting all crafted items should remain Bound to Character. A bug has been entered to fix this.

Wow, 2 whole minutes to fix the bug when its something you want to look at. What about the 5000 reported bugs you don't evidently care about throughout the rest of the game? Another great idea with 1/2 the effort put behind making it worthwild, add it to the long list. I'm still waiting for the TWF nerf to fix lag.. lol, got 2 minutes to fix that?

Jastron
04-20-2011, 11:22 AM
I have one, and only one, of about 25 characters that I currently intend to craft with. The char has bound store-bought huge bags, and two extra purchased bank slots, and i dont quest with it so it's ideal to hold onto crafting stuff. With the amount of time and effort (TP or plat, you have to make a sacrifice in one of those ways) needed to get to useful levels in crafting, it would not be feasible for me to level up all of my chars in crafting. Therefore, BTC loot is about useless for me, while BTA would be incentive for me to levellup in crafting.
Bound to guild (not sure they could ever make that work as chars can leave a guild) would also be nice, so I could craft for guild members.

Totally unbound so it could be sold would be nice to try and recoup the plat loss from deconstructing all of my loot instead of selling it, but at least BTA is the essential thing. BTC crafting that takes this much effort is a non-starter in my personal opinion, even more of an issue than deconstruction of shards etc.

Seikojin
04-20-2011, 11:27 AM
Wow, 2 whole minutes to fix the bug when its something you want to look at. What about the 5000 reported bugs you don't evidently care about throughout the rest of the game? Another great idea with 1/2 the effort put behind making it worthwild, add it to the long list. I'm still waiting for the TWF nerf to fix lag.. lol, got 2 minutes to fix that?

Just because a dev posts that it is being fixed and then a little later lam is booted up with the fix does not mean it wasn't noted a while back and has gone through a full fix round.

Wurmwood
04-20-2011, 11:34 AM

Even if the item was (random) BtA when looted? This should be an incentive to run those quests that reward BtA items. Otherwise it is placing another limit on what we can do with this game. I do not see the harm in it other than the min lvl bug (which is fixed)

And people take it easy on the developers, they have their hands in multiple areas that need fixing and have a lot on their plate. I can send you some Ashwaghanda and Rhodiola to help ease your mental stress (just kidding, but seriously look for it at a vitamin store it helps)
Maybe I should apply for work there. You guys hire practitioners? Will work for TP

Iwinbyrollup
04-20-2011, 11:36 AM

First, not all bugs are created equal. Some bugs take longer to fix than others depending on the nature of the problem. I get the impression that bugs related to oversight (i.e., forgetting to check how a new system interacts with special cases like these BtA random weapons) are generally easier to fix than some other bugs. This is an assumption regarding this specific bug, but the initial statement (not all bugs are identical) is true. Some things are harder to fix than others.

Second, bugs where they're nerfing things are probably better to fix in advance than to wait to fix. For example, Update 9 sees a nerf to the Ornamental Daggers in that they become exclusive and people who made multiple daggers are forced to bank extras to use the clicky again. Considering that this nerf is occurring, do you think it would have been better for the nerf to have happened quicker than it is happening? For example, if the nerf was put in place before some people crafted a pile of daggers, do you think that would have been better? Cause I sure do (note that I created a single dagger, so I'm not looking at this from a position of being nerfed).

If a nerf is going to happen, it's better to do it before everyone gets in a position to be hurt by it.

PopeJual
04-20-2011, 09:15 PM

I really hope that "fixing" this bug won't break other BtA items in the game.

I can currently put a Carnifex in the stone of change to add Alchemical Force Damage to the weapon and still have a BtA Carnifex. If my Carnifexi all suddenly turned to BtC weapons, I'd be a very sad camper.

bradleyforrest
04-21-2011, 09:06 AM
I really hope that "fixing" this bug won't break other BtA items in the game.

I can currently put a Carnifex in the stone of change to add Alchemical Force Damage to the weapon and still have a BtA Carnifex. If my Carnifexi all suddenly turned to BtC weapons, I'd be a very sad camper.

That's not WAI. In order to use the eldritch rituals on an item, it has to be bound with Khyber shrds first, which makes it BTC. If it's still only BTA, then it's a bug.

Backley
04-21-2011, 11:14 AM
That's not WAI. In order to use the eldritch rituals on an item, it has to be bound with Khyber shrds first, which makes it BTC. If it's still only BTA, then it's a bug.
But the bind/attune ritual on a BTA item maintains the item as BTA (not BTC). I see no reason this should be considered a bug necessarily. Where does it say that the Bind/Attune Ritual should make all items BTC (not just Bound of some type)?

PopeJual
04-21-2011, 11:29 AM

If you put a BtA item into the stone of change with the Khyber shards, that item remains BtA. It has worked that way for a very long time (possibly since BtA existed, but not sure).

Impaqt
04-21-2011, 11:35 AM
If you put a BtA item into the stone of change with the Khyber shards, that item remains BtA. It has worked that way for a very long time (possibly since BtA existed, but not sure).

Sounds like the same bug to me then.

PopeJual
04-21-2011, 11:56 AM
Sounds like the same bug to me then.

I would absoultely agree that it's the same bug if there were any indication of what the intended functionality was.

Since that feature has been in the game for years and since people have repeatedly spoken about it on these forums, I can't imagine that it's a complete surprise to Turbine.

Its certainly the same functionality, but bug or not is a mystery.

GreenGurgler
04-23-2011, 12:15 AM
BI see no reason this should be considered a bug necessarily. Where does it say that the Bind/Attune Ritual should make all items BTC (not just Bound of some type)?

Because Turbine wants to make it inconvenient for us, they would rather you spend the time on all of your alts to do all of this stuff to get all of these items you want.

They want their little hamsters to keep on running, keep on running, keep on running............;)

Don't stop little hamsters, don't stop! The longer you run, the more they get paid.
:rolleyes:

Alabore
04-23-2011, 01:43 AM
Don't stop little hamsters, don't stop!

This reminds of some short essay on MMOs I found a while ago, and how MMOs were effectively likened to an addiction or a bad habit to be knocked off.

GreenGurgler
04-23-2011, 10:06 AM
This reminds of some short essay on MMOs I found a while ago, and how MMOs were effectively likened to an addiction or a bad habit to be knocked off.

You mean this: 5-creepy-ways-video-games-are-trying-to-get-you-addicted (http://www.cracked.com/article_18461_5-creepy-ways-video-games-are-trying-to-get-you-addicted_p2.html) ???

Alabore
04-23-2011, 06:33 PM
You mean this: 5-creepy-ways-video-games-are-trying-to-get-you-addicted (http://www.cracked.com/article_18461_5-creepy-ways-video-games-are-trying-to-get-you-addicted_p2.html) ???

Yes.
Could be.

I recall another one about a guy who managed to kick the MMO habit - or he claimed.

The fun thing about DDO is, quests tend to be faster and action quite hectic; I often feel so charged up after playing, I need to pump some irons to release tension a bit - with moderation, I'm not that much of a man of action...

Maybe the closest thing to a typical MMO time sink in DDO used to be checking AH/brokers for bargains.

By comparison, I tried some LoTRO too: the place is quite expansive, but you could fall asleep harvesting/processing resources, and your character could go on mostly unattended while you thoroughly checked the insides of your eyelids for cracks...

:D

EustaceTrevelyan
04-25-2011, 05:09 AM

It's going to be useful for clickies, since they remain useful, and the caster boost clickies (say ardor) can be put on weapons with MLs net lower than you can get, since there's ALWAYS some useless +2 or something to pointlessly bump the ML of the effect (i.e. Superior Ardor VI seems to always come on at least a +2 or 3 weapon).

Other than that, you'll make weapons and items that are like GS (tho not quite as powerful), and higher ML. Same grind, and same level required to really be able to farm the mass amounts of plat/stuff you'll need.

Doxmaster
04-25-2011, 05:32 AM
Aww...This could have been the next mabar event!

darkrune
04-25-2011, 05:56 AM

Typical developer response...

Beneficial to the player base... Check!

Must be nerfed immediately!!!

Cheswick
04-26-2011, 08:07 AM
I'll stop running ShantoKor for the end-reward items which were bound to account and random. That was going to be my one and only way to have a dedicated crafter character for my account

EustaceTrevelyan
04-27-2011, 04:23 AM

That's not a bug; devs have (somewhere) stated such. BTA stays BTA for the eldrich stuff. New crafting is different.