282 - The Hobgoblin's Captives
281 - Setting the Wards: The Lower Cathedral
259 - The Crypt of Gerard Dryden
215 - The Cloven-Jaw Scourge: Blockade
214 - Home Sweet Sewer
170 - An Explosive Situation
158 - Endgame: Marguerite
74 - Kobold Assault

Isnt it about time you took a serious look at quest xp . The above is an extract regarding all level 3 quests in the game and the amount of xp that you gain per minute if you do the quest well . Making a quest like haverdasher 7 times as effective as kobold assault is plain silly .

The scary part about this request is that turbine will look at it and decide haverdasher is far too much xp per minute and should immediatly be nerfed .

What I would like to see done is the xp fixed so that it is more effecient to run every quest in the game once on normal ,hard and elite ( include travel time in the equation ) than it is to follow the star list as you speed up the levels ignoring 70% of the quests in the game .

Rebalance all these quests to give a base 300/350 xp a minute ( for these level 3 examples ,those that are far out of the way could be given a boost beyond that to compensate for travel time but start giving a lot bigger xp bonus for first time say x2 .
Additionally quests that are extreme challenge dungeons should again have a small bonus on top based on how complicated they are .

Additionally bonus xp should be looked at so that if an additionally objective would take you twice as long to complete as the original quest you should get twice as much xp for completing the quest .

This obviously isnt just an issue at level 3 and would need a complete sweep through the game .

But I for one hate that if I do certain quests that I enjoy doing I know I could be better off completeing a less fun quest 11 times if i want to hit level x before i go to bed .

The way I have suggested to fix this may not be the best but something should be done to make it a feasable effective leveling technique to do a variety of quests as a I level .

Dandonk
04-15-2011, 03:06 AM
And what about the 1000 or something xp for 15 minutes of pure hell in Eaast 3?

But yes; while all quests should not be equal, there should also not be this huge a difference - some quests are simply a waste of time as it is, which is silly.

herzkos
04-15-2011, 03:43 AM
And what about the 1000 or something xp for 15 minutes of pure hell in Eaast 3?

But yes; while all quests should not be equal, there should also not be this huge a difference - some quests are simply a waste of time as it is, which is silly.

qft.

seriously, that quest should be worth about 5k xp(base) and 5 favor per difficulty.
having it as less than 1000 and 3 favor means that whenever I do it, I'm recommending to the party
that we do it on casual because it takes the same amount of time and the xp/favor gain is an insult
compared to the difficulty and length of the quest.
on the good side, at least they fixed the freaking red alert problem that they had.

for those who don't know, it's threnal east 3. "Hold for reinforcements":
the infamous protect coyle quest.

mystafyi
04-15-2011, 03:46 AM
The scary part about this request is that turbine will look at it and decide haverdasher is far too much xp per minute and should immediatly be nerfed .

This will happen.... buffing xp in quests that have horrid xp isnt done.

sirgog
04-15-2011, 04:21 AM
This will happen.... buffing xp in quests that have horrid xp isnt done.

... except for Shadow Crypt and Bloody Crypt which got significant buffs a while back

TheDearLeader
04-15-2011, 04:30 AM
... except for Shadow Crypt and Bloody Crypt which got significant buffs a while back

Mmmm yes... ^^ Just got through doing these. Ransack in both now. Now I just need a Cursed Crypy opener...

bryanmeerkat
04-15-2011, 04:33 AM
Quests that have a particular problem I notice are under the following 2 categories .

1) Quests that have a "protect the bozo as he walks slowly through a dungeon " theme

2) Quests that have a "stay here for a while and make sure x dosent happen " mechanism

Which both boil down to the same thing . Quests where you cant control the pace of the quest due to the scripting of the quest tend to have terrible xp .

Magnyr_Delorn
04-15-2011, 05:46 AM
Personally, I like the fact that different quests are worth differing levels of xp. If I feel like powerleveling, I can and frequently do. If I feel like doing quests I don't do very often, I can do that too, and ignore the reduced xp.

bryanmeerkat
04-15-2011, 06:11 AM
Personally, I like the fact that different quests are worth differing levels of xp. If I feel like powerleveling, I can and frequently do. If I feel like doing quests I don't do very often, I can do that too, and ignore the reduced xp.

The devil rang for you , he wants his advocate back .

You seriously beleive that its a good thing that if you want to do some quests you can only do them for pleasure and just accept taking the xp hit ?
I am in no way advocating that the leveling process be sped up , or an easy street be added . What Id like to see is the ability to choose which quests I do and be able to do a variety of those quests and not have to base that choice on which quest will get me the most xp for the time i have available to play .

All that time developing quests that never get played more than once because you get to the end of an hour quest and see "1000 xp" grats(haha)

From the point of view of turbine it also works out better if its more rewarding to play different quests , rather than 1 quest multiple times .( people buying all the different packs rather than just the good xp packs )

katana_one
04-15-2011, 06:19 AM
You seriously beleive that its a good thing that if you want to do some quests you can only do them for pleasure and just accept taking the xp hit ?

I've been doing this a lot lately. Just yesterday I ran a couple of the Attack on Stormreach quests for 0 xp, just because I think they're fun. (Kobold Assault falls into that category as well - I don't care how long it takes vs. the XP gained. I just like the quest.)

But really, yeah, I don't see how making the quest XP more consistent would be bad at all. Just thought I would put in my 2 cents as a player who doesn't even bother to look at the XP half the time. ;)

herzkos
04-15-2011, 06:35 AM
I've been doing this a lot lately. Just yesterday I ran a couple of the Attack on Stormreach quests for 0 xp, just because I think they're fun. (Kobold Assault falls into that category as well - I don't care how long it takes vs. the XP gained. I just like the quest.)

But really, yeah, I don't see how making the quest XP more consistent would be bad at all. Just thought I would put in my 2 cents as a player who doesn't even bother to look at the XP half the time. ;)

Reaalllly? you like kobold assault? well, i just lost all respect for you. . .
just kidding
the whole quest just bugs me:
kill 200 kobolds. but they come in very small waves.
seriously, if you're going to assault something, ASSAULT IT! have 40 or 50 kobolds at a time.
make the players use the chokepoints. Also, I'm not in favor of quests like the market version where
one enemy gets through and you fail. Seriously, I think Stormreach can handle 4 or 5 mobs sneaking
through into the market (plus it'd be fun to have random mobs showing up around the spire :) )

back to the topic though: after further review, I think all p2p content should get a boost in xp.
increasing the xp will encourage people to buy it (think pay for perq). Also many of the lower level
ones aren't run very much.

katana_one
04-15-2011, 06:50 AM
Reaalllly? you like kobold assault? well, i just lost all respect for you. . .
just kidding
the whole quest just bugs me:
kill 200 kobolds. but they come in very small waves.
seriously, if you're going to assault something, ASSAULT IT! have 40 or 50 kobolds at a time.
make the players use the chokepoints. Also, I'm not in favor of quests like the market version where
one enemy gets through and you fail. Seriously, I think Stormreach can handle 4 or 5 mobs sneaking
through into the market (plus it'd be fun to have random mobs showing up around the spire :) )

back to the topic though: after further review, I think all p2p content should get a boost in xp.
increasing the xp will encourage people to buy it (think pay for perq). Also many of the lower level
ones aren't run very much.

Sue me. I like it. :)

Of course, it all depends on how it's run. I only ever run it in PUGs, so that might have something to do with the entertainment value it provides me. Some runs, we're on top of it killing the kobolds faster than they can spawn. Others, it's a train wreck, with kobolds swarming everywhere and a steady "ding! ding! ding!" of party members dieing and rezzing at the shrine.

Magnyr_Delorn
04-15-2011, 07:28 AM
The devil rang for you , he wants his advocate back .

I am in no way advocating that the leveling process be sped up , or an easy street be added . What Id like to see is the ability to choose which quests I do and be able to do a variety of those quests and not have to base that choice on which quest will get me the most xp for the time i have available to play .

All that time developing quests that never get played more than once because you get to the end of an hour quest and see "1000 xp" grats(haha)

From the point of view of turbine it also works out better if its more rewarding to play different quests , rather than 1 quest multiple times .( people buying all the different packs rather than just the good xp packs )

You don't believe it is rewarding to do a quest that gives great xp, simply because the xp is great? Bloody Crypt comes to mind. Shadow Knight comes to mind. You are talking about the positive qualities(IE. Raising xp on bad xp quests) but not the xp hit that good xp quests will take. I LIKE doing quests that give inexplicably good xp.

Lithic
04-15-2011, 07:29 AM
What I would like to see done is the xp fixed so that it is more effecient to run every quest in the game once on normal ,hard and elite ( include travel time in the equation ) than it is to follow the star list as you speed up the levels ignoring 70% of the quests in the game .

Lol the "Star list", I like that.

A while back I proposed that the devs create a system where the game automatically adjusts the exp of all quests (treating the different difficulties as seperate quests) so that the average player would get a certain predetermined xp/min. For this, the devs need to track completion time and xp gained for each player doing each quest. I'm not sure they do this already though. If they do, it shouldn't be too hard to come up with a formula that makes the average run by the average player of every quest and quest difficulty equal to a certain amount of xp/min.

Such a system should make it possible to run ANY quest you wish and still receive about the same xp for your time. Timed quests would now be worth massive amounts though (15mins at 400xp/min is 6k for kobold assault).

Travel time between quests is much harder to put in such an equation, but instead there could be a "Groan" factor where the less a quest is run, the more of a bonus it gets. This would mean both quests people hate and quests that have lots of travel time would be worth more exp/min than quests near the quest giver.

Anyway maybe its wishfull thinking, but I would have loved more options for fast TRing than the "star list" myself...

bryanmeerkat
04-15-2011, 07:34 AM
You don't believe it is rewarding to do a quest that gives great xp, simply because the xp is great? Bloody Crypt comes to mind. Shadow Knight comes to mind. You are talking about the positive qualities(IE. Raising xp on bad xp quests) but not the xp hit that good xp quests will take. I LIKE doing quests that give inexplicably good xp.

Well As I am talking about creating a base line from the best xp quests , so that all quests will give you the rewards you expect for the uber leveling quests .

(as someone mentioned as well this shouldnt apply to free content which should be set at about 75% of standard .

mystafyi
04-15-2011, 07:43 AM
Well As I am talking about creating a base line from the best xp quests , so that all quests will give you the rewards you expect for the uber leveling quests .

(as someone mentioned as well this shouldnt apply to free content which should be set at about 75% of standard .
Then turbine wouldnt make money from store bought xp pots....
but it would be nice if coyle type quests were boosted quite a bit.

Magnyr_Delorn
04-15-2011, 07:47 AM

Impossible. You are talking about bringing up the xp in all quests so that it rivals Tear of Dhakkan and Ringleader? And that it won't be easy mode? All quests aren't created equal.

bryanmeerkat
04-15-2011, 07:47 AM
Then turbine wouldnt make money from store bought xp pots....
but it would be nice if coyle type quests were boosted quite a bit.

Well they would , regardless of how fast you make leveling people will still want to do it faster .

Currently people can get from level 1-20 in x amounts of hours of running quests . All I want to see is people able to do that regardless of which quests(level appropriate) they decide to do .

Having an xp pot will still make it quicker . No need to change that .

bryanmeerkat
04-15-2011, 07:53 AM
All quests aren't created equal.

I know , thats what needs sorting out .

redspecter23
04-15-2011, 07:59 AM
I'm ok with some quests being worth less xp than others, IF there is some other reason to be there. For instance most Amrath quests are horrible xp/minute but they are still run for flagging and looking for boot ingredients. Would I be happy if Bastion was worth twice what it is now? Yup, but as it stands there is at least a reason to be there. One could make the argument that Kobold Assault has a secondary purpose as a proving ground for lowbies. I know I spent time in there when I started out just learning the basics of the game on easy to kill fodder.

There is another issue here and that's the extreme amount of lowbie quests that exist. With so many options, players eventually gravitate toward the best xp/minute quests just to get the job done. For high level content we just don't have those kind of options so content gets run because there aren't any better alternatives.