PDA

View Full Version : Spears and Impale damage

Pehtis
04-14-2011, 12:01 PM
Having spears introduced into the game would be a wonderful addition. I would like to bring a different take to this by suggesting the Spear be designed as a DEFENSIVE weapon by introducing a special damage called IMPALE DAMAGE. This impale damage will only trigger when DEFENDING (re block) though and never triggered when attacking.

IMPALE damage could be anything from Double Damage (before crits), or maybe give it double crit multiplier (or variation).

I was thinking the spear would have to be on its own (re not with 2nd off hand weapon, or shield) regardless if its 1H or 2H weapon, because you are bracing yourself for impact (re Impale Damage trigger).

Heck maybe make it even more unique for Sword & Board builds designed to defend (re prestige line) by allowing them to keep a Shield and still get IMPALE Damage bonuses. That is one sure way to increase their damage output (especially with Intimidate on) without lag issues. That would bring a whole new aspect to the game especially when you need to turtle up.

Perhaps keep it simple and keep the impale damage concept open to everyone willing to defend with a spear.

Would that unbalance the game in favor of defensive fighting when you know the first thing the enemy does is lunge at you? Dunno. A trade-off of some sort perhaps.

Defensive DPS (re non guards) now that would be different :) . Imagine it.

P

elujin
04-14-2011, 12:08 PM
i would be happy with just a 2h spear :)

Cauthey
04-14-2011, 12:12 PM
Keep in mind that spears are a reach weapon, and are often useless against enemies that are immediately adjacent to you (mob swarm).

It could be designed to do guard-type damage when you are defending when someone enters the spear's threat reach. But after that, if they're right up on you, nuthin'. Plus, it ought to be incredibly hard to hit those that are upon you if you chose to start swinging (or, poking?) unless you had a feat like Short Haft.

Xenus_Paradox
04-14-2011, 12:15 PM
The only way reach weapons could be useful in DDO is if they got some kind of knockback ability a la giants.

cebridges
04-14-2011, 12:56 PM
remember "set spear" from pnp?

i'm thinking vs. minotaurs, this spear blocking would be ideal. not only no knockdown for you, or maybe a + to save vs. it, but this impale damage as well.

HanseShadowen
04-14-2011, 04:06 PM
Hmm set to recieve a charge might work. could imobolize or cripple the one charging for a short time as well. But yes the spear would be awesome.

There are short, long and throwable spears (Javlins) al would be fun..even throw a few roman inspired armors the fans of roman history awhile there at it.