PDA

View Full Version : spell components - are they really needed?

Krumm
04-13-2011, 04:50 PM
I'm sure it's been mentioned but if the developers can't get the spell components to work in bags, then how about we just get rid of spell components all together?

Spell component costs are negliable and it's just a hassle having to keep track of.... nothing like having my sorc, which I play very infrequently, run out components in the middle of a quest.

I do not believe the spell components do anything in this game but be a nuisance to all spell caster. Sure they add flavor but is it worth it?

K.

PS, while we are at it, consider giving ammos (arrows/bolts/throwing weapons/etc) a boot also.
Way it can work is to make it so that if u run out "special ammo" like +5 arrows or silver arrows, the ranged weapon defaults to unlimited plain ammo. So you can opt to stock up on magical ammo while not having to worry about running out and not being able to use your ranged weapon.

Habreno
04-13-2011, 04:53 PM
Whilst the second idea is not a bad suggestion, it might be better off in a seperate thread. I personally support a basic arrow with unlimited use that does not take up an inventory slot but it is best debated in a seperate thread.

Back to part 1 of the OP:

Spell components are indeed a hassle. 10 spaces out of 100 is a lot; a bag would improve this. To solve the problem of running out mid-quest, keep stacks of 1000 and keep the stacks on some hotbar... this is how I solve that problem.

Henrieta
04-13-2011, 04:58 PM
But wouldn't this remove the d&d Flavor?

Maybe add special spell components which boost spell durations or damage?

DocBenway
04-13-2011, 05:03 PM
The second suggestion would make a signature AA benefit near worthless and remove a lot of value from the favor ranks in House D.

justhavinfun
04-13-2011, 05:13 PM
Just take the eschew materials feat. No more components and opens up your inventory. This is one of the few feats that I run all of the time.

Rapthorn
04-13-2011, 05:17 PM
Just take the eschew materials feat. No more components and opens up your inventory. This is one of the few feats that I run all of the time.

^^This^^

der_kluge
04-13-2011, 05:27 PM
In my tabletop game, Sorcerers get Eschew Materials for free. Doesn't make sense to require someone with inate spellcasting ability a component to cast the spells which comare naturally to them.

So, give Eschew Materials to Sorcerers and Favored Souls.

Problem solved.

Incidentally, I figured out a while back that about half the components I had in my inventory I wasn't using - I simply hadn't prepared whatever spells required the components. I put them in the bank instead, and freed up about 4 inventory slots as a result. Clerics and wizards probably can't do that as easily, however.

DocBenway
04-13-2011, 05:30 PM
So, give Eschew Materials to Sorcerers and Favored Souls.

I'd like this on my feat starved sorc, but would still be stuck with nothing to swap for the silly focus feat req in the upcoming PrE.
:p

Uska
04-13-2011, 05:44 PM
How about NO its all about resource management makes the game a little more intersting and more like pnp for me I like the sick little feeling I get when I realize I forgot to stock up on haste or firewall componets or the little feeling I get when I am out of bolts on my repeater build its one few things that takes me out of the video game feel that this game so often gives.

Habreno
04-13-2011, 05:49 PM
How about NO its all about resource management makes the game a little more intersting and more like pnp for me I like the sick little feeling I get when I realize I forgot to stock up on haste or firewall componets or the little feeling I get when I am out of bolts on my repeater build its one few things that takes me out of the video game feel that this game so often gives.

This I cannot disagree with either, as it is also true.

Trillea
04-13-2011, 05:53 PM
Since casters are get regenerating SP when we are below 12, could we get regenerating components too?? :p

FlyingTurtle
04-13-2011, 05:57 PM

In d&d you often need a specific material focus as well as a different component for EACH spell.

Most PnP groups just assume the caster's carrying whatever they need to carry instead of tracking all this nonsense (bat guano, mmmhmm), except for exceptionally valuable components like the diamond for the resurrection etc.

PopeJual
04-13-2011, 06:00 PM

This thread is a comedy GOLDMINE!

Aaxeyu
04-13-2011, 06:01 PM
/Signed. Spell components are just annoying.

dkyle
04-13-2011, 06:03 PM

Actually:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#components

A material component is one or more physical substances or objects that are annihilated by the spell energies in the casting process. Unless a cost is given for a material component, the cost is negligible. Don’t bother to keep track of material components with negligible cost. Assume you have all you need as long as you have your spell component pouch.

Default rules in PnP, all you need is a spell component bag, for most spells. The ingredients are assumed to be in it.

So, /signed. It is silly to track components with negligible cost.

Gkar
04-13-2011, 06:06 PM

Actually it would CREATE the D&D flavor. D&D rules specify that you do not track componants for most spells. You are supposed to have a "componant bag" that can be assumed to include the ingrediants at any time for any spell you can cast except ones with exceptional cost (so in DDO terms that would include things like the ingredient for stoneskin, trap the soul, etc)

Ungood
04-13-2011, 06:13 PM
/not signed.

It's part of the game, for now, it is at best a nuance, not really worth a new post every month.

TheKaige
04-13-2011, 06:14 PM
All for the removal of spell components save for Trap the Soul stones and Paladin Holy Swords.

They add NOTHING to game; resource management is a cool idea in a dungeon (the basis of this game pretty much) but having to visit a vendor every 10 dungeons isn't actually resource management; it's an unnecessary feature.

I'm all for loot only components however that boost your spell effectiveness (Spell components adding say a stacking 10% damage boost to all your spells for instance, or maybe just a certain element of damage)

Of course some spells would have to be balanced with this change; most prominent one that comes to my mind is making Death Pact a level 9 spell.

der_kluge
04-13-2011, 06:52 PM
Two things:

1. Give us a spell component bag.
2. Give us a warning message (like a monk's uncentered warning) that indicates that we are getting low on a specific component, so we can save ourselves the embarrassment of running out mid-dungeon.

HanseShadowen
04-13-2011, 08:29 PM
a low components warning? hmmm could useful. but I just drag them to one my hot key bars and look at that to see what I have.

phillymiket
04-13-2011, 08:34 PM
Be thankful you don't have a backpack full of Iron Rations.

donfilibuster
04-13-2011, 08:41 PM
The spell components bag in the SRD assumes you will keep your bag restocked.
This is true in settings where you can always find a magic shop, and the same goes for item crafting where components are listed in gold value.

Now our DDO is also a high magic setting, however, Stormreach is a delving that lacks many of the usual city services.
There's no real bank for example, just a goods vault service. The houses only care about their ventures.
The 12 have tabs in the magic shops, probably they have to import the bull dung and bat guano from Khorvaire.
(likely cows keep getting eaten at the cerulean hills and hauling guano off caves isn't healty)

This happens in real life too, where meats are imported to the U.S. then get re-exported back to their places of origin for no real reason but wholesale prices.

Nathrok
04-13-2011, 08:59 PM
I like not having to worry about food. That was such a PITA in other games. Spell components are really just a minor annoyance I'd rather just not have to deal with too. If I can't have them simply gone then I would at least like to have them in their own special slots...

MRH
04-13-2011, 09:08 PM
They are indeed very important.........

Just like you needed your keyboard to post your suggestion, a painter needs a brush to paint with, and yes components are needed to cast spells

NOT SIGNED.......... and stop making things easier jeez

that is all !

Nerate_Mireth
04-14-2011, 09:09 AM
They can make it so that collectibles can be taken from the bags when you turn them in so give us component bags. They can even make them in 3 flavors:
Small - Up to 10 components in stacks of 250 each
Medium - Up to 12 components in stacks of 500 each
Large - All components (don't remember how many total is the max) in stacks of 1000

Smalls are given to spell casters at the same time as the small gem and collectable bags. Mediums can be purchased from General Vendors (approx 8k plat like the other medium bags) or as a reward for getting favor (from the Twelve as well?) and Larges can drop in chests or be purchased (BTC) from DDO Store.

Yes the PnP rules give the assumption of having basic components in a pouch all the time. But they still have to carry a pouch. As a DM I still limited the amount of basic components in said pouch when the spell caster was between settlements that had magic shops/supplies. In DDO terms, you would then be limited to the number of times you could cast Firewall while in a quest. You can't drop 200 firewalls in a quest when you're carrying a pouch the size of a plastic grocery bag and expect to have components for other spells as well.

Just get the components bags into the game and all these people who cry about losing 10 pack slots for components can quit whining. And yes, I have 7 toons who have to carry components.

Also, some people, like me, who have tanks with 2-3 packs of weapons (disruptors, vorpals, GS, banishers, paralyzers, Greater Bane Weapons, smiters, etc) and clickies (haste, solid fog, remove curse, Girds, etc) are using more pack space than a caster with half a pack of components.

Also a Wand Pouch (use the same basis as the Cookie Jar where you can store them but have to move them to your inventory to use them) would be nice. Same with Scroll Cases.

Gkar
04-14-2011, 09:18 AM

Just like you needed your keyboard to post your suggestion, a painter needs a brush to paint with, and yes components are needed to cast spells

that is all !

There is nothing "hard" or "challenging" about the current system, its just stupid and annoying, and it goes against D&D rules. Please tell us what it adds to the game.

(BTW, Thieves tools aren't supposed to be consumables either, 1 set of any "+" should last forever unless damaged)

Darlor
04-14-2011, 09:33 AM

that is all !

Keyboard permits a level of user interaction not possible without it (or without a less convenient substitute). Similarly idea with paint brushes.

Spell components are only necessary because the game's coded in such a way so as to specifically require them. The whole point is that they don't enhance your spellcasting at all, unlike your suggestions.

Perhaps we should force players to eat food in the middle of quests to avoid hunger? Keep drinking to avoid thirst? Clean your weapons after every quest to maintain them? Occasionally inflict players, at random, with various diseases, infections and other illnesses that they have to visit a healer to fix? Force player characters to have periods of uninterrupted sleep? What's wrong, can't handle a harder game? Stop trying to make things easier, jeez.

The point isn't to make the game easier, it's to remove punitive mechanics that don't actually improve the game in any way.

PestWulf
04-14-2011, 11:43 AM
They are a clutter, annoyance and not needed.

As for it removing flavor from the game if they were removed, I think walking around ten different stacks of 1,000 ingredients pretty much killed the flavor in a monumental pile of bat guano and pinches of bull dung.

This has nothing to do with difficulty and everything to do with making the game mechanics less annoying.

The only thing buying spell components could possibly add to the game is a way to pull money out of the economy. and if that is the goal, there are better ways to do it than taking up 10 inventory slots.

A spell components bag would be a great way. To symbolize the need to keep it stocked, they could just use the repair mechanic (minus the permanent damage aspect). As you cast spells your component bag is being used (e.g. damaged) and you will need to stock up (e.g. repair it). This also leave room for the whole "running out" scenario in the event you forget to repair and your bag..er...breaks.

Less of a hassle and something you can take care of when you repair your gear. More flavor, less aftertaste.

Hokiewa
04-14-2011, 11:48 AM

that is all !

Joke...

Funnier joke.

Get rid of them with the exception of the "special components".

Chette
04-14-2011, 11:51 AM
I agree that components are pretty much useless. Nobody in the game can't get the components they need and the cost is trivial. However I do sort of like the flavour they provide. I also don't want to make it easier for casters to completely dump strength and still run around with a tank on their back. Spell components for my wizard contribute to a significant amount of the weight she is carrying.

I don't really understand why we can't have component bags, we have bags for everything else. Come on guys, it shouldn't be that hard to put these in.

Gkar
04-14-2011, 11:58 AM

But I'd be happy to have the standard 50ft of rope and grappling hook.

phillymiket
04-14-2011, 12:04 PM
But I'd be happy to have the standard 50ft of rope and grappling hook.

I'm not touching that subject with a ten foot pole.
(because I don't have one)

kratimas
04-14-2011, 12:15 PM

that is all !

I know several painters that have never used a brush to paint with. I used a touch screen to post this so no keyboard required.

Try looking outside the box every now and then; you will be amazed at what you find out there

:)

Maeste
04-14-2011, 12:26 PM
Don’t bother to keep track of material components with negligible cost. Assume you have all you need as long as you have your spell component pouch.

^^^
This

Rather then getting a bag to work holding our ingredients, and then having to have us open that bag up to change our ingredients (I currently use the hot bar method to keep track and assume that wouldn't work).

Why not just have different level bags. These bags could have all the basic components covered up to the level of the bag, 2nd level bag has all the Pinch of Fine Sand and Eyelash in Gum Arabic you need (keep the stoneskin like ones separate).

The bags could be be given by Jeets or the mino on the boat for new toons, and then a plat sink at the current component vendor. While we are at it, add small scroll case as a rare in game drop, with a bigger store version available.

dynahawk
04-14-2011, 12:32 PM
I really liked the flavor the components added for the first few levels. From level 9 on it just becomes an annoyance.

My suggestion is a magic bag/item that simulates eschew materials with a ML (insert level). Add it to a new adventure pack coming out or a favor reward.

Edit: Guess I took to long to type. I like Maeste's idea

Chrasch
04-14-2011, 05:50 PM
As a side note to people who get aggro and then run around like a lunatic. If you kite it, you kill it. If you want me to kill it for you, bring it over to me and then stand still for a moment so that I can pull its aggro off of you.

That is Hilarious!

Tunst
04-14-2011, 05:53 PM
In d&d you often need a specific material focus as well as a different component for EACH spell.

Most PnP groups just assume the caster's carrying whatever they need to carry instead of tracking all this nonsense (bat guano, mmmhmm), except for exceptionally valuable components like the diamond for the resurrection etc.

This.
I sayonly require comps for trap the soul, stoneskin, etc.

/signed

justagame
04-14-2011, 05:57 PM
To me, the simplest solution would be to have one generic spell component for each class, rather than one for each spell level. You could carry just one great big stack. Retain the special components for spells like death pact, etc. That way:

1. Devs don't have to create component bags, and solve the problem of making them work from bags
2. You retain the "flavor" of having components
3. It greatly reduces the inventory slots taken up by spell components
4. It's much easier to know when you're low, only one item to check

Bodic
04-14-2011, 05:59 PM

1. does not work for all components
2. is a wasted feat more than extend,enlarge, mental toughness and those are the bad ones.

donfilibuster
04-14-2011, 06:29 PM
The pouch would make the most sense, as long as you can have a 10k stack on them.

Besides one thinks turbine would love to be able to sell these in the store.
Is surely worth having to fix or code bags to pull the right component out of them.

JerseyFresh609
04-15-2011, 10:17 AM
/Signed

Components are just a waste of the player's time. The cost is negligible even on pricier components such as stoneskin and death pact. Any high level player can cast these at will without noticing much of a dent in there cash supply. Removing them completely would have little to no effect on the game and would make everyone's lives easier. We shouldn't have to run around doing "errands" or "chores" in a game, like stocking up on spell components, food, drink or even ammo that add nothing to the game but annoyance. I have to run errands and chores in real life and they aren't fun. I play games to have fun and get away from that. I don't like anything that feels like a chore, such as repairing. It's cost is also negligible, all it does is add an extra time I have to spend while selling. Travel can also be a pain. The airship was a huge leap forward here. Who care's if it's "too easy" to be instantly ported to where you're going, is running a long way hard? No, it's pointlessly time consuming. I know some may complain about realism but this isn't real life it's a game. There's a ton of stuff that could be added to be realistic that shouldn't be in any game. Do you want to stop and take a **** midway through a quest? No? Didn't think so. The game should be FUN! I should spend as little as time possible doing near pointless things between questing, looting, crafting, etc. I'm also tired of hearing people say "In PNP yadda yadda". This isn't PNP it's an MMO. I've never played DnD and have no desire too. Yes many mechanics translate well to an MMO but we should be worried about making DDO a better game not worrying about making it true to PnP play. Well I think this officially turned into a rant so I'll stop myself there. Think about it people!

danotmano1998
04-15-2011, 10:32 AM
I think the REAL point of having these spell components is to create a platinum sink for casters to spend their money on!!

Yes, while they are a pain to remember and keep stocked, it's not necessarily a bad thing to be in the middle of the dungeon and get that 'Oh crud' moment when the boss is beating on you and you realize you can't cast anymore because you forgot to stock up!

+1 to the bag idea!!! Make it an auto-gather, sell it in 3 sizes just like the other bags available.

RangerOne
04-15-2011, 11:11 AM
While I do like the idea of a spell component bag, I cannot agree with dropping spell components altogether.

The game deviates from its roots, but at its roots it is a role playing game. You are playing the role of a wizard or cleric. And if as you enter battle you find you do not have your spell components, well then, your character has made a mistake with their resources. Hope you survive and head to the vendor when it is done.

Agreed, they are a pain, but I'd rather not see another piece of D%D stripped from the game. Here's a solution: only cast spells that do not require components. What does that leave us with?

Alabore
04-15-2011, 11:11 AM
To
me, the simplest solution would be to have one generic spell component for each class, rather than one for each spell level.

^^^
I am inclined to agree with this.
While spell components mechanics are part of the DnD experience, many incarnations of the game, be it pnp or c-rpg, waived them in favour of a more streamlined approach.
Gold-box, Baldur's Gate, NWN, none had "itemised" components.
Baldur's Gate forced casters to drop shields - but that's about the extent of it.

On one hand spell components have always been an integral part of the game - and players could carefully pick spells by VSM requirements, and be able to rely on arcane support while wielding arms and wearing armour.

On the other one, the current system is awkward - and inventory space is a luxury for most players.

The issue with spell bags is, game code can't recognise components inside containers.
Streamlining system into one item type per class could be a viable workaround.
And keeping extra components for specific spells would stay faithful to DnD rules.

Not that I really care for faithfulness to DnD rules - as far as I know, the owners of the DnD license discontinued 3.5; DDO is not 3.5 anymore, anyway.
Asking to be faithful to the letter of the rule, in the current state of the game, does seem to miss the point a bit, to me.

:)

Gizeh
04-16-2011, 11:17 PM
Of course, if ingredient bags are introduced in order to save inventory space for casters, we also need "golf bags" for melee characters who need many different weapon sets in order to efficiently deal damage against the various monster types. ;)

Mathieugh
04-16-2011, 11:36 PM

Oh lord, I just had a flashback to Eye of the Beholder! Thanks, I think! I would love to see a multi level dungeon in homage to that game! I think DDO's engine could do it really cool, too! Not to hijack the thread...

Erm... not signed on the elimination of regs or arrows. I do like the idea of have spell modifying components, however. I think that makes more sense than the existing potions for spell effect boosting.

Shade
04-16-2011, 11:39 PM
Yea they did this kinda with there original mmo - asherons call.

So can make sense here too. I think vaguely copying the Asherons call idea could work.
In it, you gave up xtra pack slots to gain foci, which represented schools of magic, and then just had 1 generic component, rather then 100+ complex assortment of components.
Now in that game, pack slots were a big deal since u got like 100+ main inv, and slots were only +20.. So that shouldnt happen here.

But the generic component idea can work.
So instead of 9-13 bag slots gone. We just lose 1.

The generic component should stack to 10,000 tho. And "expensive" spells like stoneskin or deathpact, would use up say 50 components, instead of just 1. lvl6+ regular spells could use 2-3 comps too.

Dont like the bag idea for a few reasons:
-They dont have the tech to let you cast out of bags, and tried it in the past but cuodlnt make it work. (see trap the soul gems)
-Bags are cumbersome, would have to open it perioditcly to verify your component totals, or youd still run out all the same.
-The best bags tends to be DDOSTORE exclusive. I dont want more of that junk.

Generic component is better because it maintains the small platinum cost (and could be kept mostly balanced wih the current costs), the small lvl of inv management needed, but makes it easier, as you can slot them on a hotbar and see how low you get.. (which you can already do with comps, but its hard to waste 10+ hotbar screen slots, where 1 is easy)

other notes:
Some special spells like paladin holy sword should remain as is due to there power.

knightgf
04-16-2011, 11:51 PM
I will admit, it can be annoying to carry around spell components, and when choosing a spell, I try not to pick spells with material components, especially for weak spells. But if I do, I try to minimize those types of spells so that my components are not eaten up as fast.

As a compromise though, there is one thing I would like to suggest: If you can't give us component bags, why not increase the stack size of spell components to 10,000 to make up for the inability to code spell component bags? After all, if you increased the size of siberys and khyber dragonshard stack size to 10,000, why not spell components? Or, if you want to approach this problem at a different angle, make the eschew materials feat work with all non-epic components, including components for teleport and stoneskin. That way, this feat has value, but yet a player must still decide whether or not to take it compared to other metamagics. Yes, I understand that there are no 'epic' spells in this game, but if epic levels were to come out later on, I think this feat would be too powerful if it worked with epic components, unless you took a epic feat or abilites to make it work with a few epic spells, but still...

However, the way it is now, the eschew materials feat is much more useful than in the PnP version. I think that if you make eschew work with all non-epic spells, even those with special components such as holy sword, death pact, stoneskin, exc., it will have more value. It's not overpowered if you do it that way since these components are not rare, and can be easily purchased at a vendor store. The purpose of eschew materials is that, with the exception of 'very' special components(Such as maybe, epic components?), you should be able to cast any spell that requires material components without needing any at the cost of more spellpoints. There's nothing too special about bags of granite or large diamonds when it comes to spell component rarity since these can be purchased easily at a vendor like level 1-9 spell components.

Gkar
04-16-2011, 11:53 PM
I think the REAL point of having these spell components is to create a platinum sink for casters to spend their money on!!

Yes, while they are a pain to remember and keep stocked, it's not necessarily a bad thing to be in the middle of the dungeon and get that 'Oh crud' moment when the boss is beating on you and you realize you can't cast anymore because you forgot to stock up!

+1 to the bag idea!!! Make it an auto-gather, sell it in 3 sizes just like the other bags available.

They don't cost enough plat to create a plat sink for anyone but a brand new player, and they are the ones that dont need a plat sink

Nerate_Mireth
04-17-2011, 10:30 AM
I think the bottom line is the amount of pack space and the "necessity" of having spell components.

First, pack space. You're a caster (sorc/wiz) how many scrolls/wands are you carrying that you don't use in comparison to components? For awhile my caster was carrying around a pack of wands and a pack of scrolls....really? About 8-10 of the wands I used on a semi-regular basis and almost none of the scrolls. Robes/Outfits? Do I really need 9 different robes? Nope. Pots? Heals/Poison/Curse/SP/Disease Pots....don't REALLY need any other. After cleaning all this up...hmmm....I had 2 full packs of stuff that I got rid of....Now I could run a Shroud, Hound AND VoD and not have to sell once. So, clean up the **** you don't use/need on your casters and the pack space is no longer an issue.

The "necessity" of having spell components. This is tough. We can argue back and forth all day long about this with good arguements for and against. Personally I'd rather see them addressing other issues with the game (New Races/Classes/Content/Bug Fixes/Better Character Customization/etc) than wasting what may be 10 mins or 10 hours recoding the game to deal with this "triviality". Personally, I say if you don't want to have to deal with components, don't play a caster type or only pick spells that don't use components. Problem Solved.

The OP said,

I'm sure it's been mentioned but if the developers can't get the spell components to work in bags, then how about we just get rid of spell components all together?

Spell component costs are negliable and it's just a hassle having to keep track of.... nothing like having my sorc, which I play very infrequently, run out components in the middle of a quest.

I do not believe the spell components do anything in this game but be a nuisance to all spell caster. Sure they add flavor but is it worth it?

K.

He starts with if they can't get the bags right then dump all components. To me this suggests he's one of the people who have a problem with pack space.

They're a hassle to keep track of. Plenty of suggestions listed in the thread to keep track of them.

Then asks if the flavor is worth the nuisance. Let's look at a fighter. It's a nusiance to have to switch from GS weapons to vorpals to smiters to disruptors to banishers to slime bashers to....you get my point? Give us fighters 1 weapon that does it all. The need for all the others is a nusiance and what flavor does it add to the game? I have to carry 2 packs of weapons just to be ready for any situation. Hmmm.....sound familiar?

These are just my opinions...neg rep me if you want. IDC. I just see this whole discussion as one of those "My dad can beat the **** out of your dad" discussions. Both sides have good reasons but who is right and who is wrong? Neither.

muffinlad
04-17-2011, 10:41 AM
Does Eschew Materials still cost mana? been a while since I looked.

muffinquestions

donfilibuster
04-17-2011, 12:22 PM
The bags should all open as tabs on inventory, both on the new and the old UI.
Also if you could collapse the gear panel there's room to see two inventory bags/tabs at once.
That way it lets you view two tabs at once to arrange or move items between slots.
This would also solve the need for search in bags.