PDA

View Full Version : Greater Two-Handed Fighting vs Stunning Blow

Darky86
04-12-2011, 09:52 AM
So here is the deal: I just hit my 18 lvl Dwarf Barbarian and it is great so far.
The feat I got are as listed:
1.Toughness
2.Cleave
3.Two-Handed Fighting
4.Improved Two-Handed Fighting
5.Improved Critical Slashing
6.Power Attack

Now the question - Greater Two-Handed Fighting or Stunning Blow?

I am in doubth because I'm not sure what exactly "glancing blow attacks" mean. Is it ONLY the damage done to surrounding targets OR is it something like extra attack that count extra damage to the main target + surrounding? I am asking like this because noticed that sometimes when I fight 1 target only and hit for 50 damage (for example) a second line appear immediately after the first for ~15 damage. I also got the Maul from pirate event and it gives nice +8 stun bonus so I can really use an advice what feat to take last. I see that many ppl advice to get Gr. two handed and Stuning blow and remove Thoughness but if Gr.TH gives only bonus to surrounding targets I think it's least usefull from the three.

unbongwah
04-12-2011, 10:01 AM
Glancing blows apply to your main target as well as adjacent ones; that's what the secondary dmg line you're seeing is. GTHF would add +10% dmg to glancing blows, +3% chance to proc effects on glancing blows, and an additional glancing blow on the 3rd attack of your (stationary) chain. That's enough extra DPS to be worth taking, IMHO.

Cam_Neely
04-12-2011, 10:02 AM
I am in doubth because I'm not sure what exactly "glancing blow attacks" mean. Is it ONLY the damage done to surrounding targets OR is it something like extra attack that count extra damage to the main target + surrounding? I am asking like this because noticed that sometimes when I fight 1 target only and hit for 50 damage (for example) a second line appear immediately after the first for ~15 damage. I also got the Maul from pirate event and it gives nice +8 stun bonus so I can really use an advice what feat to take last. I see that many ppl advice to get Gr. two handed and Stuning blow and remove Thoughness but if Gr.TH gives only bonus to surrounding targets I think it's least usefull from the three.

The glancing Blow is that second number you see. GTWF "Increases the damage of glancing blow attacks when wielding a two-handed weapon by an additional 10%. Also increases the chance for weapon effects to trigger on glancing blows by an additional 3%." So that second number increases by 10% of your main dmg, so your second number will become 20ish. Also, there is a 3% higher chance that your extra weapon dmg (ie the extra dmg from having holy or acid burst on your main weapon) will also be added to this glancing blow. This applies to your frenzy and death frenzy dmg as well. So you might see 20 6 8 10, where the 6 8 and 10 are holy dmg, frezy and death frenzy dmg (for example)

Also of note, you only get glancing blows when standing still. If you are running, they are eliminated, so take that into consideration. If you run all the time in combat, it might not be useful to you, but if you stand there more often (ie boss fights ect) then it adds a fair bit of dmg.

Personally I would drop toughness and take both stunning blow and GTWF, but thats just me. You should have solid HP on your Barb anyways, and I like the higher dmg that both bring to the table.

ArgentMage
04-12-2011, 10:02 AM
Keep Toughness. It's a prerequisite for all the Toughness enhancements, so in your
case, it's got to be worth about 100 hit points all said and done.

Glancing blows can trigger weapon effects. How often they trigger is related to
how many of the THF feats you have taken. If you have a Holy GreatAxe of Pure Good,
then both Holy and Pure Good have a chance to go off on glancing blows. So that's
the mechanics of it. Now, I believe that other weapon effects can also go off (the
term they use for this is "proc", so you might see that in other explanations) like
Paralyzing, Disruption, Stunning, etc.

So that's what you're balancing off against Stunning Blow. At lower levels, I think
glancing blow damage would have been more useful, but at higher levels, you might
find Stunning Blow more useful.

TPFKAM
04-12-2011, 10:07 AM
How many HP do you have atm and with what items?

When I had to decide between Toughness and Stunning Blow on my dwarf barb I had around 500 HP unraged and without GS items, so I took Stunning Blow and I have to say it's awesome. Raged, frenzied and with a +10 Stunning weapon I can easily stun over 90% of the mobs I have encountered.
And even after the U9 changes to helpless mobs it's still: Stunned mob = dead mob in a matter of seconds.

Darky86
04-13-2011, 11:57 AM
Thank you all the info you gave me is really usefull!
Now I know what glancing blow is and probably Gr.TH is better for me since I will take FB 3 also and use all frenzies + weapon effect. My plan is to TR asap when I can and start a 32p build probably barb again and then try new strategy with feats but for now I'm going to keep the toughness - my hp at lvl 17 are 450 without buff/rage.

ArgentMage
04-13-2011, 12:21 PM
Thank you all the info you gave me is really usefull!
Now I know what glancing blow is and probably Gr.TH is better for me since I will take FB 3 also and use all frenzies + weapon effect. My plan is to TR asap when I can and start a 32p build probably barb again and then try new strategy with feats but for now I'm going to keep the toughness - my hp at lvl 17 are 450 without buff/rage.

You may want to consider crafting your Greensteel before you TR. The ML on
greensteel is absurdly low (ML:11 for items and ML:12 for weapons), so you'll be
able to use them surprisingly soon in your TR.

Then again, you might want to consider a Greater Reincarnation (assuming you
have already unlocked 32-point builds or will soon), to get the 32-point build
(the "reboot" without starting over) then continue playing your character a while.
Then if you do TR, you'll start with 34 points instead of 32. Just throwing it out there.

Cam_Neely
04-13-2011, 12:25 PM
greensteel is absurdly low (ML:11 for items and ML:12 for weapons), so you'll be

Sooooooo True. At Lv 12 a MinII or LitII is completely OverPowered on a barb TR, not to mention the 45 HP, earth ele and earth grab at lv11.

I agree, with 450 ish HP, Toughness is a good way to go, sacrificing Stunning blow. For your second life, if you go pure, I would switch that, or even better (imo) consider 2 fighter levels for both along with the barb past life feat.

Qindark
04-13-2011, 12:28 PM
drop cleave, and take GTHF and stunning blow :D
edit:never mind..forgot cleave was a prereq

Bolo_Grubb
04-13-2011, 12:33 PM
I asked nearly the same thing a while ago, here is the thread http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=308167 might give you more info, might not. Several other threads on the same subject too.

for me it comes down to play style. Stunning blow is just another button to mash during combat, I often forget to hit it to be honest. Of course you can also go one way and change later. You do get a free feat exchange through this quest http://ddowiki.com/page/Hall_of_the_Mark

Kinerd
04-13-2011, 06:07 PM
Also, there is a 3% higher chance that your extra weapon dmg (ie the extra dmg from having holy or acid burst on your main weapon) will also be added to this glancing blow. This applies to your frenzy and death frenzy dmg as well. So you might see 20 6 8 10, where the 6 8 and 10 are holy dmg, frezy and death frenzy dmg (for example)Frenzy and Death Frenzy activate on 100% of glancing blows.

jcTharin
04-13-2011, 06:26 PM
Frenzy and Death Frenzy activate on 100% of glancing blows.

yes.

the day i realized this i was a very happy barb. :D

also i would recommend not using true reincarnation the moment you hit level 20. the amount of time it will take you to level back up to level 20 is not worth it for the small benefit you get from you past life and a few points. especially when you could spend the time raiding and getting powerful raid gear. TR was made for people who want to squeeze out a little bit more power when they have already filled their toon up with raid loot. raid, get your mad lootz, become mighty.

and maybe after you have gotten a lot of raid loot boosting your HP you can drop toughness and take a comparatively smaller loss to your hp. barbs can get huge amounts of HP, you get a huge amount of HP from toughness but it may be overkill to the point where stunning blow is better.

Raid.

Get loot.

Become mighty.

PurdueDave
04-13-2011, 07:05 PM
It's an old question. One you'll probably have to answer for yourself as a matter of preference. Toughness/GTHF/SB, pick 2.

wax_on_wax_off
04-13-2011, 07:23 PM
Then if you do TR, you'll start with 34 points instead of 32. Just throwing it out there.

Regardless of if you greater res or not you'll start with 34 points.

28 + TR = 34 points
32 + TR = 34 points.

Darky86
04-14-2011, 04:29 AM

Then again, you might want to consider a Greater Reincarnation (assuming you
have already unlocked 32-point builds or will soon), to get the 32-point build
(the "reboot" without starting over) then continue playing your character a while.

Oh this is great I didn't knew that kind of trick. I have unlocked 32p build but here comes the next question GR is only buyable with TP right no way to make it free with grind like epic tokens for TR? Since I am f2p and all TP from grind are invested in Adv. Packs :)

And yes my goal is to get gear before TR. In fact I was about to buy Vale pack but there was a 50% sale on Gianthold so couln't miss that lol ;) So far my Adv. packs are: VON, Sands and Gianthold.

Darky86
04-14-2011, 04:31 AM
Regardless of if you greater res or not you'll start with 34 points.

28 + TR = 34 points
32 + TR = 34 points.

Are you sure about that ?
I read in wiki that when you TR you get the next level and there is a table showing
28 -> TR = 32
32 -> TR = 34

elujin
04-14-2011, 04:36 AM
I read in wiki that when you TR you get the next level and there is a table showing
28 -> TR = 32
32 -> TR = 34

not true i think 28 wil get 34 unless your drow they get 30 i think

aerendhil
04-14-2011, 04:37 AM
Stunned mobs won't be auto-crit'ed after U9.
Drop "Stunning Blow" and take "Toughness" and the full THF line.
If you need to control, you can still trip, you don't even need "Improved Trip", your strength bonus should be enough when raging.

wax_on_wax_off
04-14-2011, 07:05 AM
Stunned mobs won't be auto-crit'ed after U9.
Drop "Stunning Blow" and take "Toughness" and the full THF line.
If you need to control, you can still trip, you don't even need "Improved Trip", your strength bonus should be enough when raging.

Stunning blow will still give x1.5 Damage from ALL sources (except sneak attack and glancing blows). Stunning blow will still be very powerful.

tihocan
04-14-2011, 08:12 AM
28 -> TR = 32
32 -> TR = 34
The page on ddowkii says (correctly):
28pt → 34pt
32pt → 34pt
34pt → 36pt

wax_on_wax_off
04-14-2011, 07:56 PM
and ...
36 pt -> 36 pt (perhaps a clarification needed for some people)