PDA

View Full Version : battlecleric splash help

micswym
04-12-2011, 09:01 AM
I'm looking for some advice on how to go about adding a level of fighter to my 10 cleric. I've only played for about 3 weeks and don't group at all. I use a cleric hireling so i don't have to watch my health (stupid since i sometimes don't notice a glitch where the healer isn't with me!! hehe) and for divine vitality.

My thinking is that fighter will give me bonus to hit, an extra feat, and more weapons to choose from.

I'm not sure if i should get a +1 LR to change level 1 to fighter which will also let me take away UMD (waisted points on it because it looked so cool, but don't use it at all) or wait till next level and take it then. I know i'll be getting blade barrier at 11 so not sure if i should just wait and add fighter at 12.

Also wanted to ask about AC. I read a post where someone said that if you don't have 40 AC at 10 then you should just quit........well i'm only at 28 +2 but don't plan on quitting just yet. I've checked the AH but haven't seen anything that will give me 12(10?) more points. Haven't quite figured out most of the stuff i see on the tooltip, so not sure what to do to increase it. i always have bless(from aid), protection from evil, nightshield, and shield of faith going. I've been using bear's for the hps, but maybe cat's would help for the dex (still confused about bonus on armor/shield) if nothing else i'm guessing it will help with my crossbow(?).

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice

FuzzyDuck81
04-12-2011, 09:18 AM
Fighter splash on a cleric is one of the few multiclass splashes that you dont really lose too much relative to the gain.

For the fighter level, i'd say take it at level 12, as if you've gone this long without it, it wont matter too much plus you'll get Heal & blade barrier at 11th & they make your life so much easier. For the bonus feat, power attack is a good bet if you like to melee (use Divine Power plus Divine Favour to compensate for the to-hit penalty but if you're meleeing a lot then you should be using these anyway), or you could go for improved critcals, or maybe even stunning blow as with a +stunning weapon you can get a functional if not ideal DC on it.. the hammer of leaden clouds is a good one to aim for, or if you want a 2-hander Ratkiller from the crystal cove event when it makes a return is a very nice item too once you hit cap.

Regarding LR, I wouldnt use it to add in the fighter level, but maybe at higher levels once you've unlocked 32point builds (requires 1750 total favour on 1 character to unlock it on that server, or buy from the store for all servers) then you could instead go for a GR which would let you redo all the stats & skills for the character while simultaneously upgrading it to a 32pointer too.

About the AC issue, dont worry too much about it. You may be able to squeeze a bit more use out of it for the next few levels but it'll soon get to the point of being not worth the hassle of boosting it - however, a shield can still be useful as an easy way to get a devotion effect to boost your spells and provide damage reduction if you need to turtle up but in general even those who use a shield will often switch to outfit/robes instead as they can be switched out instantly for different situations.

Edit: another thought.. you're just getting to the point where you can start running the lordsmarch plaza quests & as such i'd recommend hunting for the Sora Kell set - its good for many characters, and amazing for divines who like to melee.

NovaNZ
04-15-2011, 03:18 AM
Hiya Micswyn.

Fuzzy has it pretty much covered.

It is helpful to provide character details such as race, stats, AP's, feats/skills etc.

PS - I took my fighter lvl 8 and have been pretty much wearing dresses (robes) since lvl 10+. Also have one or two good shields for guards/tactical defence.

Always good to see another cleric in Ebberon. ;)

Good fortune.

Fallout
04-15-2011, 06:13 PM
Adding a fighter level doesn't really add much. Your DPS will be far inferior than other melee classes. Cleric's real power are spells like blade barriers. Kite and kill a dozen mobs? no problem. Some people add monk classes splash for evasion.

If you want to melee and heal, a WF FvS might suit you better. But a fighter splash cleric might work low levels, all but pretty useless at high levels. Check out L20 clerics, see how many of them have fighter levels for example.

If you like running fast, then I've seen some people splash 1 level of barbarian :)

tihocan
04-15-2011, 07:42 PM
But a fighter splash cleric might work low levels, all but pretty useless at high levels. Check out L20 clerics, see how many of them have fighter levels for example.
I disagree, a Fighter level on a melee-able cleric is not useless at all. The fact that most L20 clerics are pure is because few clerics care to melee. And although BB is great in many places, in Epic content melee is much more useful.

protokon
04-15-2011, 07:50 PM
I disagree, a Fighter level on a melee-able cleric is not useless at all. The fact that most L20 clerics are pure is because few clerics care to melee. And although BB is great in many places, in Epic content melee is much more useful.

this.

cleric's are not useless just because they don't have the capstone.

Braegan
04-15-2011, 08:23 PM
Adding a fighter level doesn't really add much. Your DPS will be far inferior than other melee classes. Cleric's real power are spells like blade barriers. Kite and kill a dozen mobs? no problem. Some people add monk classes splash for evasion.

If you want to melee and heal, a WF FvS might suit you better. But a fighter splash cleric might work low levels, all but pretty useless at high levels. Check out L20 clerics, see how many of them have fighter levels for example.

If you like running fast, then I've seen some people splash 1 level of barbarian :)

Simply terrible advice. Except for the tidbit that a WF FvS is good.

My main Phalse's 1st life was an 18 clr/2 ftr. I had respectable DC's and Spell Pen versus pure clerics plus two combat feats, Ftr Haste Boost I (kids don't overlook this...really), Ftr Str I, additional HP via enhancements, and still walked around with a lil over 2000 mana.

For those that can handle the multi-tasking of healing and fighting it provides more options not less. An effective melee-divine can lay down the GC or BB when spell-casting is greater or can swing away with the melee with mass heals centered on themselves, situation depending.

The main thing is to not overplay yourself. A battle-divine, haste-boosted, raged, divine power, divine favor is a force to be reckoned with. Is it Barb/Kensai/Monk DPS? No. Is it respectable DPS with a full Heal a click away? Yes.

To the OP:

Yes give up on AC right now. Don't look back. The main reason I say this is that you are already on a path trying to juggle a couple things. As you advance in levels your gear slots will be taken up by (most likely) spell casting gear and dps gear. You will have no room in your set up for AC gear on top of all of that. And the AC gear is what you need to push past the useless level. Trust me, I have ground out all that sexy gear (chattering ring, icy's, etc) and they sit in my bank because I can't fit them in anywhere. Your best damage mitigation is not AC rather your few CC spells. A Greater Commanded room of foes does zero damage regardless of your AC.

But as mentioned above, if you post your stats, feat choices, race, etc, other posters can help you more with more information.

Roaringdragon
04-15-2011, 08:36 PM
Simply terrible advice. Except for the tidbit that a WF FvS is good.

My main Phalse's 1st life was an 18 clr/2 ftr. I had respectable DC's and Spell Pen versus pure clerics plus two combat feats, Ftr Haste Boost I (kids don't overlook this...really), Ftr Str I, additional HP via enhancements, and still walked around with a lil over 2000 mana.

For those that can handle the multi-tasking of healing and fighting it provides more options not less. An effective melee-divine can lay down the GC or BB when spell-casting is greater or can swing away with the melee with mass heals centered on themselves, situation depending.

The main thing is to not overplay yourself. A battle-divine, haste-boosted, raged, divine power, divine favor is a force to be reckoned with. Is it Barb/Kensai/Monk DPS? No. Is it respectable DPS with a full Heal a click away? Yes.

To the OP:

Yes give up on AC right now. Don't look back. The main reason I say this is that you are already on a path trying to juggle a couple things. As you advance in levels your gear slots will be taken up by (most likely) spell casting gear and dps gear. You will have no room in your set up for AC gear on top of all of that. And the AC gear is what you need to push past the useless level. Trust me, I have ground out all that sexy gear (chattering ring, icy's, etc) and they sit in my bank because I can't fit them in anywhere. Your best damage mitigation is not AC rather your few CC spells. A Greater Commanded room of foes does zero damage regardless of your AC.

But as mentioned above, if you post your stats, feat choices, race, etc, other posters can help you more with more information.

Oh, you won't have any meaningful AC when you're level 20...or above level 10. You might as well wear a robe since the AC you have is just useless at higher levels (bolded in quote above)
Note: TO OP...I've had had the same idea for a battlecleric...my advice is a pure lvl 20 cleric is better than a 18/2 or 19/1 splash with barb/fighter(IMO), because at lvl 11+ you will be using spells as your dps (BB, Cometfall comes to mind) and not really weapons. Examples are if you look at other clerics lvl 15-20, they usually have maybe a devotion shield or Levik's shield for healing proc/amp and some DR when blocking, and probably if no devotion shield maybe a scepter for devotion/potency(invader's mace comes to mind) or else they maybe have some sort of dps weapon doing some damage.

Just some of my ideas :) :cool: :o :wink: ;) if you like to have dps and have enough some sp to heal themselves when needed. then you probably should go ranger/pally instead of battlecleric. The best "battlecleric" as you have described with healing and dps would probably be a FvS, look at Sirgog's build the Soul Survivor for some great DR, decent dps, healing/buffs, and 500+ hp :)

Noctus
04-15-2011, 08:39 PM
Just some of my ideas :) :cool: :o :wink: ;) if you like to have dps and have healing then you probably should go ranger/pally instead of battlecleric, or do FvS if you have it unlocked :) :D

Thse builds dont have "healing powers", just band-aids they with which they can temporarily patch something up enough to not immediately die. But not more.

Roaringdragon
04-15-2011, 08:41 PM
Thse builds dont have "healing powers", just band-aids they with which they can temporarily patch something up enough to not immediately die. But not more.

That's what I actually meant, just enough sp to heal themselves full or maybe 1/2 or get out of a pinch to get back in the game in a hurry :) I'll fix my mistake sorry if misunderstood.

Roaringdragon
04-15-2011, 08:47 PM
With the exception of a paladin who can use LoH which can heal 50-150 depending on charisma in (1sec).

Tsuarok
04-15-2011, 09:06 PM
Just some of my ideas :) :cool: :o :wink: ;) if you like to have dps and have enough some sp to heal themselves when needed. then you probably should go ranger/pally instead of battlecleric. The best "battlecleric" as you have described with healing and dps would probably be a FvS, look at Sirgog's build the Soul Survivor for some great DR, decent dps, healing/buffs, and 500+ hp :)

I'd just like to point out the sirgog claimed in his Soul Survivor thread that his 18/2 cleric/fighter did more dps than his SS build (and then goes on to say that this is made up for by the SS's ability to tank).

Just saying, if you build a Str based cleric with enough charisma to get DM II or III, you can do decent dps on a cleric, even at level 20.

Roaringdragon
04-15-2011, 09:13 PM
I'd just like to point out the sirgog claimed in his Soul Survivor thread that his 18/2 cleric/fighter did more dps than his SS build (and then goes on to say that this is made up for by the SS's ability to tank).

Just saying, if you build a Str based cleric with enough charisma to get DM II or III, you can do decent dps on a cleric, even at level 20.

Ah, didn't see that in his messages, but ok. Still soul survivor can also tank too like a fighter and do dps like a fighter ( though quite a bit less) and has great healing still. Also Tsuarok I thought DM was only on paladins? Not clerics...correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Tsuarok
04-15-2011, 09:18 PM
It's listed somewhere (can't remember where I saw this) as a pally ability, but it is definitely available for clerics too.

My current cleric doesn't have it, but I have built a cleric based around it. I believe that it is one of the optional enhancements to qualify for Radiant Servant as well.

Braegan
04-15-2011, 09:20 PM
Also Tsuarok I thought DM was only on paladins? Not clerics...correct me if I'm wrong. :)

It's for Clerics as well. And can really push the DPS of a Cleric perhaps a bit past FvS. I will still build FvS because they have more going for them then just that, but yes Clerics can be really decent DPS.

Roaringdragon
04-15-2011, 09:33 PM
Mmk, too bad DM is only 1 min or else it would be a lot sweeter. Still even though the cleric can push past in dps terms past the FvS, the FvS has 1000+ sp more then the cleric going usually from 2.5k~2.8k sometimes ~3k even, and they get those sweet wings /drool, although FvS needs a massive 2500 FP to unlock /sigh. Though if you're f2p, then you probably should go battle cleric, since as one of the post above you can get 2000 sp still with a 18/2 cleric fighter split and have some dps and possibly up to DM II or III. I don't think any cleric will have a base 20 cleric unless they had 18 cha (kinda waste of build points) and +2 tome or unless very lucky pulled a +4 cha tome and ate it for their 16~20, or level ups which would actually wasteful...

Tsuarok
04-15-2011, 09:59 PM
well... FvS definitely do have a lot going for them, and are a very good choice.

A minute is actually a good amount of time. A cha cleric will have a final cha of ~26ish without any effort. With 2 tiers of extra turning, that gives 13 turn/rest. And they regenerate at a rate of 1 every 2 minutes. All in all that should give you about 25 minutes of +4 to +6 damage, the damage equivalent of +8 to +12 strength. If you can manage DM IV (admittedly difficult) that give +8 damage. Every hit.

I almost never run out of sps on my cleric. But that might just be my playstyle.

As a final note, a str/cha cleric is pretty stat intensive (you still need a bunch of con, and DM works best while TWF, meaning you need dex), and I wouldn't recommend it to those without access to 32 point builds. And maybe someone to kick-down + wis gear so that you can actually cast spells. :D