PDA

View Full Version : Dear Turbine's hirelings -- please heal-only

Vanshilar
04-11-2011, 06:24 PM
Dear Turbine's hirelings,

I would like you to please heal-only. That's right. Heal-only. That means you should spend your SP on healing the party, and removing debuffs like poison, etc. Not on trying to kill the monsters. Extra points if you can stand slightly behind your groupmates rather than on top of them, so that you're not hit by the monsters that are attacking them, but sometimes that may be too much to ask for.

Heal-only does not include casting searing lights on random monsters you see walking around because you think it's cool, and then having the monsters aggro on you while the rest of the group is focusing on other monsters. Heal-only does not include casting an implosion aura all the time so that you're out of SP by the time you're needed. Heal-only does not mean that you should prioritize pew-pewing monsters while the person you're under contract with is running around you with a quarter of their HP trying to get your attention and can deal with the monsters much more effectively if only you were actually focusing on doing your job. Yet somehow these things all occur when you are in your supposed "defensive stance".

Heal-only should be very simple. When your client has low hit points, heal him or her. If there is poison, remove it. If there is a curse, remove it. Otherwise, stand around if told to stay put, or follow your client at a slight distance if told to follow. You do not need to show the barbarians in the party that you are also capable of using weapons, nor the sorcerers in the party that you also know a thing or two about nuking. You especially should not be casting those spells when your client may need healing at any time. Watching their HP bar go from 750 HP to -10 HP while you're busy casting offensive spells and then in cooldown from them does not give good performance reviews from your clients. If you are seeing your client run back to you with low HP and you see monsters in tow, you should be healing your client, not casting spells on the monsters.

I should note that healing HP is a priority concern. That's right. If your client runs back to you with a quarter of their HP and poisoned, you should cast heal, not neutralize poison. Heal will cure it anyway. The neutralize poison that you just casted on them does no good when they're dead.

Also, if you are told to stand still, you should stand still. I realize that sometimes your client will be out of your healing range and you would like to move forward to heal them. However, if you are on some perch spot, this will also move you away from safety and into harm's way, especially if the safe spot is on a ledge and thus not easy to return to. Moving out of some perch spot so that you can cast a searing light on some monster is an especially big no-no.

Your client bought a contract with you because they want you to perform a function. They will be out killing monsters and needing the occasional heal. You do not need to show them that you can kill monsters too. That's their job. You should trust them to do their job. They should be able to trust yours.

jortann
04-11-2011, 06:31 PM
But why shouldn't hirelings be able to compete for the kill count lead?

I know what this is... it's hireling opression!

Keep the hirelings down where they can never rise up to the higher levels. They will always be seen as just hirelings. Shame on you! I will start a new campaign...... Hirelings For Party Leaders!

Doomcrew
04-11-2011, 06:34 PM
Stop telling the hirelings how to play!!!

They have a right to enjoy their game time too.

Taters214
04-11-2011, 06:42 PM
Wow, it's amazing how accurately that describes our stupid hierlings...

A friend and I were duoing Wizard King the other day with two cleric hierlings, and all of the above was happening. Won't stay put (kept falling through floors). Must use searing light. And the most annoying, won't heal us when we're slivered because removing curse and removing disease (mummy rot) was much more important, or maybe they were fighting -- at any rate, they sure weren't healing. So annoying. There definitely needs to be a priority list instituted for actions, and when you park the hierling, he just shouldn't move for ANY reason.

unknownturok
04-11-2011, 06:45 PM

Keep the hirelings down where they can never rise up to the higher levels. They will always be seen as just hirelings. Shame on you! I will start a new campaign...... Hirelings For Party Leaders!
/signed

Mackem
04-11-2011, 06:50 PM
/signed

Healing hirelings are dumb.

Non-healing hirelings AI is borked too. Ever seen a barb hireling going nuts smashing barrels in the middle of the fight instead of hitting them monsters?

TheIvanovFamily
04-11-2011, 06:52 PM
Put hireling on passive. When on passive, they will only follow you (unless told to stay) and execute commands you give them.

Problem solved.

Adalita
04-11-2011, 06:53 PM
I see your point, but I think what you're actually looking for is not a hireling but something called a Human Being, AKA a person, AKA kinda the point of playing an MMO.

Human Beings can be found via the social panel.

Zorack00

/signed

Down with the oppressors!

Ereshkigal
yes, please.

Memnir
04-11-2011, 06:54 PM
Summon your Hireling.
Tell them to go Passive and then to Stand their Ground.
Leave them there.
Go fight/get hurt.
Order the Hireling to come to your location when all hostiles are dead.
Have them Heal you.
Repeat steps 2 -6 until the end of the quest.

paraplegic
04-11-2011, 06:55 PM
those hirelings are not paid to havefun they are paid to do what you tell them to do

skunk
04-11-2011, 06:55 PM
/not signed.

You should learn how to toggle your hirelings. Not my fault you don't know how to hit the heal button yourself.

Sorry, your fault for your hireling being stupid. Its called user error..

Silly users, leave the hirelings to the pros.

Vanshilar
04-11-2011, 07:04 PM
Put hireling on passive. When on passive, they will only follow you (unless told to stay) and execute commands you give them.

Problem solved.

I'm not looking for a passive groupmate that stands around and doesn't contribute anything. If I wanted that, I'd get a guildie (pikers, the lot of them) or failing that, a PUG.

There is a big difference between standing around doing nothing and standing around actively looking at the condition of groupmates and vigilant to when they need to be healed.

The point of hirelings healing automatically is so that you don't need to micromanage their actions so much -- that they know to do it on their own.

Seliana
04-11-2011, 07:10 PM
Dear Turbine's hirelings,

I would like you to please heal-only...

From the desk of L. Do'rret,

It is with regretful obligation that I must inform you I will no longer be accepting contracts involving adventures with you Sir Vanshilar. It has come to my attention that you believe my actions this past week have had a detrimental effect on your health and safety during our last adventure. I have read your most recent performance review and I must say I am disappointed to find that you believe I am incapable of handling simple tasks such as curing your health or handling miscreants who attack you during your frequent runs for cover. I happen to be a very accomplished priestess who was sent through divine intervention to help the less fortunate.

The Searing Lights and Destructions I have provided are the results of many years of self-discipline and training. I will not be treated like a mindless healer simply because you feel my divine assistance is unimpressive. I'll have you know that poison killed my friend almost five years ago, I find poison very offensive as a deadly toxin and swore to myself I would never see it take another life. If that means that I will be removing poison before I heal whatever scrapes you call -432 HP first then so be it. I refuse to compromise my values just because you feel the prevalence of virulent poison in this city isn't a pressing issue.

I have also noticed an alarming amount of these miscreants which assault you happen to be during times you have invaded their homes as well. I have witnessed the crimes you have committed by helping yourself to their only valuables as well as breaking their furniture. Do not believe you have any right to judge my competence or intelligence as your unlawful actions as of late have been quite despicable you fiend. Please do not contact my agent again as I will not be working with you. Shame on you sir. Shame on you.

Regretfully, Larafay Do'rret

zwiebelring
04-11-2011, 07:10 PM
I see your point, but I think what you're actually looking for is not a hireling but something called a Human Being, AKA a person, AKA kinda the point of playing an MMO.

What he wants is anticipating, rolefullfilling, common sense gameplay which is NOT given by every human being.

I noticed that if you park them at the quest entrance and call them when Poison (or similar) hits or your health is below 50% they immediately react accordingly (except the bugged ones).

forum_account2
04-11-2011, 07:12 PM
There is a lvl15 fvs hireling that is just great. Cometfalls and greater commands everywhere, with SP pool to back it up.

Bargol
04-11-2011, 07:17 PM
While I understand your frustrations and can relate when klin decides to take long lava dips in SOS. I also think that having the AI a little borked is good so that players want to or would rather have a real person be the "healer". This is one of the things about update 9 I am a little worried about. In updated 9 in the updated lamania release notes hirelings have improved AI and will now heal the entire party.

Why get a real person cleric/fvs/bard when the hireling will be the groups healbot.

So yes the AI could be improved so they actual listen to your commands better, but they should always remain subpair and poor compared to a halfway decent human controled healer class.

skunk
04-11-2011, 07:27 PM

It is with regretful obligation that I must inform you I will no longer be accepting contracts involving adventures with you Sir Vanshilar. It has come to my attention that you believe my actions this past week have had a detrimental effect on your health and safety during our last adventure. I have read your most recent performance review and I must say I am disappointed to find that you believe I am incapable of handling simple tasks such as curing your health or handling miscreants who attack you during your frequent runs for cover. I happen to be a very accomplished priestess who was sent through divine intervention to help the less fortunate.

The Searing Lights and Destructions I have provided are the results of many years of self-discipline and training. I will not be treated like a mindless healer simply because you feel my divine assistance is unimpressive. I'll have you know that poison killed my friend almost five years ago, I find poison very offensive as a deadly toxin and swore to myself I would never see it take another life. If that means that I will be removing poison before I heal whatever scrapes you call -432 HP first then so be it. I refuse to compromise my values just because you feel the prevalence of virulent poison in this city isn't a pressing issue.

I have also noticed an alarming amount of these miscreants which assault you happen to be during times you have invaded their homes as well. I have witnessed the crimes you have committed by helping yourself to their only valuables as well as breaking their furniture. Do not believe you have any right to judge my competence or intelligence as your unlawful actions as of late have been quite despicable you fiend. Please do not contact my agent again as I will not be working with you. Shame on you sir. Shame on you.

that was awesome.

zwiebelring
04-11-2011, 07:30 PM
Why get a real person cleric/fvs/bard when the hireling will be the groups healbot.
To fill a role with whatever you expect out of it without taking the risk of frustration about stupidity?

If I need a mere lever puller a pure Commoner classed NSC with max STR and min CON was fine. If the Hirelings reacted properly threads like this one here didn't exist.

And btw., Larafay didn't have any reason to state her position. Larafay is one of the best Hirelings available.

doubledge
04-11-2011, 07:39 PM

holy cow.... that was amazzing

Kalindush
04-11-2011, 09:48 PM
Summon your Hireling.
Leave them there.
Go fight/get hurt.
Have them Heal you.

Or

Summon your Hireling.

Leave them there.

Go fight/get hurt.

Get all aggro.

Ask Heal, the hire heal you then back to his position.

Have them Heal you if you still need it.

No secrets. If you think "i have no time to Ask Heal button", put him in Defensive stance if you got 50% and get some heals. They will heal you as their priority. They only starts to fight in Defensive Stance if the enemy has low HP or if you has MUCH HP.

sirgog
04-11-2011, 09:53 PM
IMO an even better solution would be this:

1) Hirelings that are mostly healing-oriented classes have Quicken Spell turned on and they never turn it off.
2) Hirelings have a limit to the highest CR monster they will attack. Let's say a level 15 hireling has a CR limit of 20 - when on 'active' mode, they will attempt to Cometfall/Destruction CR 20 and under mobs, but when faced with a CR 21 mob, they won't take any deliberate actions that aggro that mob onto them. (They might accidentally aggro them by targeting a Cometfall at the mob next to them and hitting the CR 21 mob in the splash, but that's an accident).
3) When told to stand still, hirelings do not move, even if you are out of their healing range and on -9hp.

karl_k0ch
04-12-2011, 07:27 AM
Your Hirelings can't Haste or IC? Booo!

Failedlegend
04-12-2011, 07:51 AM
I agree with you OP I mean check out this cleric (err...white mage)

http://www.dorkly.com/video/8275/dorkly-bits-white-mages-are-jerks

redspecter23
04-12-2011, 08:07 AM
I was fighting a red named and had a hireling healer with me. I told him to stand still, so I rotated the mob so it's back was to the hireling. No problem, right? Well the healer insisted on coming right around to the front constantly in order to heal me. So I spent the entire fight rotating around the mob so that they wouldn't accidentally hit the hireling while trying to hit me. That's right, I had to go out of my way to make a mob that was completely aggroed on me not hit the hireling that was told not to be anywhere near the swing arc. Seems a bit silly to me.

danotmano1998
04-12-2011, 08:22 AM
that was awesome.

/signed

and +1 to your reputation!

elujin
04-12-2011, 08:26 AM

one of the fvs hires one who uses destruction aloth did give me a run my money on kill counts in casting insta kills all over he made me wanne play an evoker fvs lol

TheKeg
04-12-2011, 08:33 AM

Those on the social panel sometimes seem to run on the same AI script as the hirelings. ;) In the end at least the hirelings will stay put if you tell them to (in my experience).

bigolbear
04-12-2011, 08:38 AM
na not signed - sort of.

hirelings are already too nice to people for the price.

Id much rather that hirelings have their own personalities, and of course the sales guy lets you know what their personality is. So some clerics will fight in mele with you and heal less often, some will stand back and heal only and some will use crowd controll spells or nukes and heal too.

same principle goes for all the other classes of hirelings.

This way the people that just want hirelings for healers will only work with certain hirelings, and a little trial and error would be involved finding one you like.

Would also be great if players could submit their build as a hirling contract for others to hire (no benefit to the player other than a bit of fame, id sugest making this some kind of favour reward)

thwart
04-12-2011, 08:44 AM
I have a message for the arcane hirelings ... although casting grease and then some form of fire spell is good for a few laughs ... it makes your boss very angry. Very angry.

sirgog
04-12-2011, 09:12 AM
na not signed - sort of.

hirelings are already too nice to people for the price.

Id much rather that hirelings have their own personalities, and of course the sales guy lets you know what their personality is. So some clerics will fight in mele with you and heal less often, some will stand back and heal only and some will use crowd controll spells or nukes and heal too.

same principle goes for all the other classes of hirelings.

This way the people that just want hirelings for healers will only work with certain hirelings, and a little trial and error would be involved finding one you like.

Would also be great if players could submit their build as a hirling contract for others to hire (no benefit to the player other than a bit of fame, id sugest making this some kind of favour reward)

There's no high level hirelings with a personality of 'don't pick fights that will get you killed, heal yourself, heal the party, kill things you safely can' unfortunately.

Even most PUGgers know not to run into a pack of four epic Efreeti with no fire resistance, no heavy fortification, and no Quicken Spell.

Atree
04-12-2011, 11:01 AM

Sadly human healers can be much much worse than hirelings. At least hirelings are predictable - you know what you are going to get. Oh and hirelings not only tend to have far more sp than most players, but they are willing to chug quite a few pots at no extra cost to you.

I wish you luck if you try to pay a player 1k plat an hour to babysit you while you go have all the fun in quests.

Ugumagre
04-12-2011, 11:15 AM
I am a hireling.
It is absolutely offensive. A lot of players that hire me are always zerging around and then cry "heelj me". Sometimes I am very tempted to pick their soul stone and throw it in some lava pool, but I always restrain myself.
And anyway, for that 40 plat you pay me, what do you expect?
Next time you hire me, watch your back!!