PDA

View Full Version : Advice for melee class/build for duo.

Beton_Kirche
04-10-2011, 08:04 PM
Hey all. Me and a friend recently starting playing DDO and we're having a lot of fun. We play real casually, just once a week, running quests on normal and then on hard if we can swing it. We're both level 3, almost 4 now. My friend has a WF Wiz/Rog. I have 2 characters, a H-Orc Fighter following the modified Vanguard Warrior build from Revisiting Paths: http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=2801751&postcount=17. And I also have a Cleric/Fighter following the modified Warpriest of Siberys build from Revisiting Paths: http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=2847871&postcount=75. The fighter puts out some really nice damage, but now that we're starting to run the premium quest-lines, like Shan-to-kor, he's also taking lots of damage. I'm having to chug potions more and more. I've been thinking about swapping the cleric in and playing him instead of the fighter. I like the idea of having the ability to heal, but i'm not sure how the cleric is going to be melee-wise as we get to mid-high levels, even with the Warpriest build.

I'm just wondering if there may be a better class or multi-class combo for our duo. Basically, I want my character to be melee-focused, with a combination of good offense and defense. Since my friend and I really only plan on duo-ing, and since he's a bit squishy as a wizard, I want to play more of a tank role. I don't need a class/build that will be the best endgame DPS, or the best raiding build, or anything like that. I'm just looking for something that's optimal for a duo set-up. I'm open to any suggestions, but as previously mentioned, I prefer a melee-focused class/build. As for heals, I would only need self heals at the most, since my friend's WF Wizzie heals himself with his repair spell.

Some basic additional info, I have VIP membership, but don't have 32 point builds at this time. Thanks in advance for any info that you can provide.

PresentTense
04-10-2011, 08:12 PM
A WF wiz/rog is generally part of such duos, so you're good there. If you have the race and class available, consider a WF favored soul. You can put most of your emphasis into strength and take the lord of blades enhancements to deal out some nice damage with a greatsword. You'll also both be able to heal each other and yourselves, you'll both have good but different spell selections, you'll have good dps and he can handle traps. There are a couple versions of this build - the usual one is at http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=268346, and there's one tweaked for the new prestige class at http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=309445.

Kam-Ekaze
04-10-2011, 08:17 PM
The WF FvS is a really strong option there, but if FvS is not an option (it is not a class you get right off even if you are VIP) you could consider a WF barb or fighter also. Since your arcane friend is WF he is going to take repair spells anyway (repair spells are like healing spells that work on warforged) and he can double up as your healer when he isn't dishing out the pain).

If you are near 1000 favor with any of your toons I'd recommend getting that first as you will gain veteran status and enable your next toons to start right from level 4 as well, saving you a short grind and giving you some decent starter equipment.

Alex301
04-10-2011, 08:18 PM
Why don't you go Warforged too? You can still focus on DPS by going fighter/barbarian and do great damage while able to get a reasonable dr for defence. There is no reason why both of you can't be great at endgame and still duo very effectively.

It may be a tough at the start as casters are a little lacklustre in the early levels but that will change.

edit: beat me to it ^.^

Carpone
04-11-2011, 07:59 AM
Arcane and melee duo can easily get to level 20. It's the duo combo I prefer when XPing.

Beton_Kirche
04-11-2011, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the information all. The WF FvS with Lord of Blades sounds interesting. I just have a question, doesn't the WF's healing penalty kinda negate the divine healing of a FvS? I know it's only 50%, but it just seems odd to make a FvS with a race that will only get half of its healing benefit. I'm probably missing something though, that's why I ask.

Kargraz
04-12-2011, 02:52 AM
At cap you'll have plenty of healing amp, and once you get heal, you're going to be overhealing yourself anyway...

THOTHdha
04-12-2011, 03:07 AM
To add to that, a WF FvS dumps Wisdom. This makes them terrible at offensive Divine casting, but still able to provide all of the great buffs and heals that define the class. You can also still take great advantage of low-DC blade barriers, as well as *pew-pew lazers* with the new PrE. In fact, the PrE seems to take great advantage of WF's melee superiority over other races.

Hirosue
04-12-2011, 03:46 AM
Good to see someone enjoying themselves and posting it on the forums .As for your Duo team, the best advice has already been given. Roll a WF Fvs or Wf Battle cleric.

Later on in the game you are going to start doing quests which require Deathward spell. If you want to stay as a duo and not Pug it you will need a Fvs or cleric.There are other advantages also such as the ability for both of you to heal yourselves and each other and many more.

A 2 Ftr/18 cleric Wf Battle cleric running divine favour and power buffs is a very nice melee, likewise Fvs can be rolled for melee .One note of caution though when in blade sworn transformation you can not heal but you can still be repaired.

2 Pally/18 Fvs can be a nice build if you don’t mind loosing the capstone ( which is pretty nice), as the 2 pally will allow your Charisma bonus to be applied to all saves and also give proficiency in all martial weapon.

My personal preference would be to go with the 2 ftr/18 cleric Wf . Also as a WF there is a great item called docent of corpsecraft . its devotion 40% on all heals level 6 and lower and it is a lvl 10 item. Meaning that you can go 2 handed with PA on and not have to worry about a potency item to buff your heals.

THOTHdha
04-12-2011, 04:00 AM
Also as a WF there is a great item called docent of corpsecraft . its devotion 40% on all heals level 6 and lower and it is a lvl 10 item. Meaning that you can go 2 handed with PA on and not have to worry about a potency item to buff your heals.

Or you can use the Droaam set, or even just a randomly generated Superior Potency VI helmet and a real sword. And there is no reason for a 2*/18fvs. An argument can be made for splashing Fighter with Cleric, but you gain much, much more as a pure 20 FvS.

Hirosue
04-12-2011, 04:16 AM
Or you can use the Droaam set, or even just a randomly generated Superior Potency VI helmet and a real sword. And there is no reason for a 2*/18fvs. An argument can be made for splashing Fighter with Cleric, but you gain much, much more as a pure 20 FvS.

There are very good reasons to multi pally with fvs, some of which are all martial weapon proficiency, charisma bonus to saves +2 more BAB. It is just a matter of play style and opinion if the reasons outweigh 10/dr and the capstone.

The op is asking for general advice, which means giving him as much info as possible so that he can make an informed choice.

The droam set ? im guessing you mean the sora kell set which isn’t usable till level 11. It is 3 items. Helm ring and gloves. Which means no Minos legends helm and you must source heavy fort on a ring. Likewise the stat boosts of those items is +5 unless you grind or buy shop items.

The point about the corpse craft docent is that it’s a docent there by freeing up all the other character slots. It is probably one of the nicest mid level items you could possibly get on a wf Cleric or FVS in the docent slot.

Alex301
04-12-2011, 06:34 AM
Personally i don't think 2 pally outweighs the FvS capstone. Warforged FvS will already be able to get profiency with greatswords for free anyway. FvS already have great saves progression and melee FvS should be using divine power to increase their bab to their toon's level. In short, your saves will be slightly higher but 10 dr is much nicer imo.

Warforged do get 50% less healing and this will be a problem when you start. Your healing spells are going to be lacklustre at first. However, all of that will change as you level up and soon spells like heal you completely restore your health anyway, making the lower healing amp not so much of an issue.

If you're looking to go down this route i would highly recommend looking at the soul survivor build. http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=268346 It is thoroughly explained and even has gameplay tips as you level up.

Edit: oops, didn't notice PresentTense already posted a link to it. I would follow either of the builds he posted as they are both very solid. Its worth keeping the soul survivor link just as a general guide anyway. Its also worth reading the comments to it as it will include questions and feeback from people trying it out.

THOTHdha
04-12-2011, 11:45 AM
There are very good reasons to multi pally with fvs, some of which are all martial weapon proficiency, charisma bonus to saves +2 more BAB. It is just a matter of play style and opinion if the reasons outweigh 10/dr and the capstone.

You can UMD Master's Touch scrolls if you want martial weapons. 2 Paladin does not give ANY increase to BAB, as levels 19 and 20 in FvS would aslo give +1 BAB each. If you take *4* levels in Paladin you get *1* BAB increase. And even then, Divine Power should be up at all times you are meleeing, and will give you a full BAB. And sure, +6 or +8 or whatever your final CHA comes out to be to all of your saving throws is nifty and all, but FvS shouldn't have any problem hitting good Saves as it is.

The op is asking for general advice, which means giving him as much info as possible so that he can make an informed choice.

And more info is a good thing. Unless the information leads to a build that is extremely subpar. I should also amend my original statement that 2*/18FvS is always bad. Some people enjoy 2monk/18FvS. I would still not recommend it, but it is viable. 2pal/18FvS is just pointlessly gimping yourself.

The droam set ? im guessing you mean the sora kell set which isn’t usable till level 11. It is 3 items. Helm ring and gloves. Which means no Minos legends helm and you must source heavy fort on a ring. Likewise the stat boosts of those items is +5 unless you grind or buy shop items.

The point about the corpse craft docent is that it’s a docent there by freeing up all the other character slots. It is probably one of the nicest mid level items you could possibly get on a wf Cleric or FVS in the docent slot.

First off, WarForged do not need a 100% fortification item. With their stacking 25% inherent bonus they can get full fortification from a 75% item, which leaves them less reliant upon Minos Legends. With Superior False Life, Toughness, and +6 CON the IQ docent makes for a great option while still gearing up.

Corpsecraft is ML10, and you make a big deal about the Sora Kell set being ML 11? Corpsecraft is a viable option. I never meant to say that that part of your advice was misguided. However, Sora Kell set makes for an (also sub par, since you only actually want one of the stat bonuses; CHA) option that also includes +2 to-hit and damage, as well as Greater Potency VI. But the glove's +STR and +Intimidate are wasted, since you won't have a meaningful intimidate bonus and Divine Power gives you +6 STR already. The Helmet's +WIS is not going to boost a dumped WIS's spell DC's high enough to matter, and if you didn't plan to dump your spell DCs then War Forged was not a good racial pick. The big advantage that this set offers, though, is that it is EXTREMELY easy to get, even for a player's first character.

A randomly generated Superior Potency VI helmet would boost your important spells such as Heal and Blade Barrier even more than any of these options, however depending on your server they might be expensive, hard to find, and higher ML. I think that the important thing that Hirosue and I were both trying to get across, though, is that you can not really take Potency on your weapon like most casters do. This is because a War Forged FvS plays as more of a hybrid melee + casting character, and therefore needs a high DPS weapon rather than a pair of spell boosting weapons.

EDIT: Quorforged Docent of Battle was being suggested as a replacement for Minos Legend's Toughness, not the fortification. That can be found on many different randomly generated items. Also, Bracers of the Claw from Red Fens provide a very easy means to get your Moderate (75%) Fortification from a static drop that is reliably in your end rewards list.

Beton_Kirche
04-13-2011, 12:56 PM
Thanks a lot for the information and advice everyone. I appreciate it. I really like the concept of the WF FvS with Lord of Blades, so I'm gonna give it a shot.

karl_k0ch
04-13-2011, 01:04 PM
On top of this, the upcoming Divine Avenger PrE seems to be sweet for a Melee focused FVS:
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=311751