PDA

View Full Version : Arcane Archer Feat Swap Help

WIckedCricket
04-08-2011, 03:39 AM
Ok I haven't played in a while and should of done my research. I realize now I needed to get Mental Toughness as a feat to be able to play the Arcane Archer. That being said I am a level 7 Ranger and want to swap feats but of course I am having problems with Fred. Here are my feats so far. 1 toughness 3 mobility(dont ask i plan on swapping it out soon first time playing through) 6 I am no sure what I picked but I think it was Heroic Durability for extra 20. Anyway I just wanted to switch out mobility for mental toughness and it doesn't pop up. Should I just wait till level 9 or do I have to switch out two or more feats?

blitzschlag
04-08-2011, 03:46 AM
Ok I haven't played in a while and should of done my research. I realize now I needed to get Mental Toughness as a feat to be able to play the Arcane Archer. That being said I am a level 7 Ranger and want to swap feats but of course I am having problems with Fred. Here are my feats so far. 1 toughness 3 mobility(dont ask i plan on swapping it out soon first time playing through) 6 I am no sure what I picked but I think it was Heroic Durability for extra 20. Anyway I just wanted to switch out mobility for mental toughness and it doesn't pop up. Should I just wait till level 9 or do I have to switch out two or more feats?

1. heroic durability is granted to any char made. you can't pick it while creating/leveling.
2. mental toughness needs you to be able to cast spells. rangers can cast spells with lvl 4. you took mobility on lvl 1 or 3 and so fred will not let you swap it for mental toughness

so the only feat you could exchange for mental toughness atm would be the one you took at lvl 6.
lvl 7 isnt too far in to reroll anyway. and make a plan beforehand what feat and skill to take at which level. so you will have a better chance in not gimping yourself.

wax_on_wax_off
04-08-2011, 05:14 AM
To take arcane archer you need mental toughness, weapon focus: ranged and point blank shot. I'd suggest to swap out feats until you can take arcane archer. Don't wait until level 9 as you want improved critical: ranged then at it gets exponentially more expensively to swap feats.

Alternatively, swap out feats to be a tempest as you are closer to it with mobility and dodge that you already have sonwould require just 1 feat swap (your level 6 slot for spring attack). You'll still be excellent with a bow just better with weapons and it's a more forgiving build to play if you are new to the game.

unbongwah
04-08-2011, 12:27 PM
1 toughness 3 mobility(dont ask i plan on swapping it out soon first time playing through)
How did you take Mobility without Dodge?

lazlow
04-08-2011, 12:33 PM
How did you take Mobility without Dodge?

I was looking at my level 6 AA feats yesterday and i saw Mobility...hmm thats odd i know i didnt pick it. Hovering over it, shows the pre req dodge in red? Very strange.

Question along the same lines. I am an elf. Can i say drop MT for say another meta and use the elven arcanum enhancement to satisfy the AA requirement?

Mercureal
04-08-2011, 12:34 PM
My guess is that you're a human, and took Toughness as your starting bonus feat. You then took Dodge as your normal Level 1 feat and then Mobility at Level 3. If you want to be an AA, you'll have to swap out both Dodge and Mobility for AA feats.

Mercureal
04-08-2011, 12:36 PM
I was looking at my level 6 AA feats yesterday and i saw Mobility...hmm thats odd i know i didnt pick it. Hovering over it, shows the pre req dodge in red? Very strange.

Question along the same lines. I am an elf. Can i say drop MT for say another meta and use the elven arcanum enhancement to satisfy the AA requirement?

Are you wearing an item that gives Mobility as a feat, say a Robe of Mobility? Having that equipped causes Mobility to show up in your feat list.

whitehawk74
04-08-2011, 01:28 PM
You can get a free feat swap by doing Hall of the Mark quest in the market.
If you have already used it up I would recommend swapping your feat before turning level 9 because the price Fred charges goes up 10 fold in terms of Sibery Dragonshards.
http://ddowiki.com/page/Fred
And yes, you might have to drop a feat that you love, but having the Arcane Archer abilities will more than make up for any losses.

TeyaBrosna
04-08-2011, 01:42 PM
I made the *exact* same kind of mistake when choosing feats for my AA. Embarrassingly, I had to end up swapping out 3 different feats to get it right (so that I could pick up the PrE at level 6). It helped me to swap them out in order by level. I.e. Point Blank Shot first, WF: Ranged second, Mental Toughness 3rd. A slow process, but it eventually fixed the problem. What someone mentioned earlier in this thread bears repeating because it's so important: if you think you've made a mistake with your feats, swap them out sooner rather than later. It becomes VERY expensive to swap out feats at later levels.

Also, to prevent these kinds of mistakes (which are easy to make, you weren't being foolish or anything) in the future, try using this character planner. It'll allow you to plan out every little thing about your character's future, including feats and enhancements. It's a life-saver. Link: http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO/DDOCharGen.html

Very best of luck to you and I hope this helps. :)

unbongwah
04-08-2011, 02:30 PM
I am an elf. Can i say drop MT for say another meta and use the elven arcanum enhancement to satisfy the AA requirement?
The only way to bypass the AA MT pre-req (on a non-TR) is to have at least one level of an arcane caster (bard, wiz, sorc) and take that class's SP enh (or Elven Arcanum I which is opened by wiz). This applies to both the elven & ranger AA line.

brian14
04-08-2011, 02:37 PM
You can get a free feat swap by doing Hall of the Mark quest in the market.

If you started as level 4 character (Vetran status), does that still apply?

Another question: A feat (or PrE in my case) requires either Feat A or Feat B. I start out with Feat A. I get Prestige Enhancement. Later I go to Fred and switch to Feat B. Is anything bad going to happen to my PrE, as for a fraction of a second I am missing a prerequisite?

unbongwah
04-08-2011, 02:42 PM
If you started as level 4 character (Vetran status), does that still apply?
Yes.

Is anything bad going to happen to my PrE, as for a fraction of a second I am missing a prerequisite?
I believe you get your enhs reset for free if & when you feat-swap out of an enh pre-req, but I've never tested that myself.

TeyaBrosna
04-08-2011, 02:52 PM
Yes.

I believe you get your enhs reset for free if & when you feat-swap out of an enh pre-req, but I've never tested that myself.

I think this is correct. At least, that's exactly what happened to me. It ended up working out really great, and gave me the chance to play with the character planner first to get my enhancements exactly the way I wanted them.

Let us know how it goes after you give it a shot. :)