PDA

View Full Version : Isle of Death - Raid Idea

HalfOrcBeautyQueen
04-04-2011, 04:08 PM
Isle of Death
by HalfOrcBeautyQueen

I like Raids. I like Zombies. I like Raids with Zombies.

I was having trouble sleeping last night and began daydreaming about what kind of raid I would like to make if I was in the business of making raids. This is what I dreamed up.

This is intended to be a stand-alone raid that does not require any quest flagging, similar to HoX or VoD. It is also intended to be a very long, self-contained adventure that could be implemented using creatures and concepts already in-game.

Inspiration/Keywords: Zombies, 1930s-40s Horror Films, New Orleans Voodoo, Bluebeard Fairytale

Isle of Death
Level: 18
Duration: Very Long
Base Exp: Math is Hard
Takes place in: Isle of Death
NPC Contact: Yorrick Amanatu
Quest acquired in: The Marketplace
Patron: The Coin Lords
Base Favor: 12

BACKSTORY:
Yorrik Amanatu tells you he is concerned about the wellfare of his young niece, who has recently married a prominent Coin Lord named Caeruleus Du Mal. Caeruleus is a very wealthy man who purchased his own island in Shargon's Teeth and built himself a castle there. This is his fourth marriage, and each of his previous wives mysteriously disappeared shortly after their wedding. Amanatu has tried contacting his niece but has received no response, and he is worried about her safety. He asks you to venture to Caeruleus's estate in the Shargon's Teeth islands and ensure her well being.

After accepting the quest, you must travel to the Harbor and speak with Valeria Sinderwind for transport to the Isle of Death. She tells you that the island is actually a giant swamp surrounded by dangerous reefs, and that she can't take you there directly but she will take you as close as she can.

ZONE IN:
Quest Objective: Gain Passage on the Ferry

You arrive on the banks of a large swamp. In the middle of the swamp lies Caeruleus's Castle, striking fear in the minds of the feeble. The waters are far too treacherous to cross yourself, you will need passage. Luckily, there is an old man with a boat who will ferry you and your party across the swamp for a fee.
Caeruleus's Castle is in the middle of a Large Swamp that you cannot cross. An NPC will transport you across the swamp in exchange for a random weapon with a listed value of +8 or higher, which is destroyed in the trade. If you do not have a weapon you can try to use Diplomacy, Intimidate, or Bluff for a free ride with a Difficulty Check of 50/55/60 (n/h/e). If you do not have a weapon and fail the Diplomacy check, you cannot cross the swamp and advance the quest.

PART I:
Quest Objective: Find a way to the Castle

You safely cross the swamp, with the aid of the old Ferryman. He drops you off and disappears. You are at the gate to Caeruleus's castle. You see a frightened young man in rags, and approach him. He is one of Caeruleus's servants, and tells you that his Master is no longer an honorable Coin Lord but a deranged wizard. He has been performing experiments with the Magical Plants on the island, trying to find an elixir that will let him stay young forever. The servant promises you show you the way to his Master's laboratory if you promsie to help him escape.

After crossing the swamp you are on the 'mainland' of the Swamp. Far in the distance lies the Castle, with a path in front of you. After speaking to the NPC servant, he begins to lead you up the path. As soon as you begin walking on the path a timer starts that unleashes a wave of zombies, First 10, then 20, then 30. Each wave is accompanied by a Rednamed Vinestalker and is 60 seconds apart. When the NPC sees the zombies he yells in fright and then disappears, running away up the path.

New Quest Objective: (Optional) Destroy the Undead Experiments 60/60.
(Optional) Destroy the Magical Plants 3/3.

At the end of the Path lies the door to enter the Castle. You can enter the Castle without completing the optional, but if you do a Shrine will spawn outside the door, as well as an Old Woman NPC.

"My name is Marie and I have lived in this swamp all my life. Caeruleus is a fiend, he killed his own brides in cold blood to satisfy his ego! Here, take this, it will help you on your quest."

She will you give you 3 "Magic Mirrors" a quest item that disappears on leaving the adventure and are destroyed if the party member carrying them dies.

Part 2:
Quest Objective: Find Caeruleus
(Optional) Find Caeruleus's First Wife
(Optional) Find Caeruleus's Second Wife
(Optional) Find Caeruleus's Third Wife

You enter Castle and are met by the stench of Death. Terrified servants wander the hallways, fearful of their Master's Wrath.

Several NPC servants cower about the castle. There are no trash mobs inside the castle. You can now head straight to Caeruleus's chamber, at the top of the castle, or if you're feeling adventurous you can search out the remains of his previous brides.

Each bride resides in a different wing. Upon entering their chamber, the Objective changes from "Find Caeruleus's X Wife" to "Speak with Caeruleus's X Wife." Each wife is a Zombie-bride whose life blood is supporting a Magical Plant/Vinestalker.

If you can convince the wife that Caeruleus is mad and she no longer needs to stay on the Material plane, the Zombie-bride is automatically destroyed and you must fight the Vinestalker she was supporting. If you cannot convince the bride, you must fight both. To convince the bride to leave the Material plane you can either give her a "Magic Mirror" from the optional or pass a Diplomacy/Intimidate/Bluff check with a DC of 55/60/70 (n/h/e).

The Zombie-bride is CR 22/24/28 and the Vinestalker is CR 26/28/32. Both are immune to critical hits. The Bride has DR slash & good.
Upon completing the fight a shrine spawns. You get 1 chest for defeating the Vinestalker and an extra chest if you convinced the bride to leave the Material plane without fighting her.

Part 3:
Quest Objective: Defeat Caeruleus

You enter Caeruleus's Laboratory, and the door shuts and locks behind you. You see his terrified bride before you, and a strange Magical Plant. You have interrupted a weird ceremony. Caeruleus does not seem pleased.

To start the end fight you must approach Caeruleus and talk to him. He is a well-dressed human NPC. You tell him that his magical plants are destroyed, and that you will end his murdering days. He flies into a rage and his graphic changes to that of an ugly Vampire NPC.

The terrified bride is a cowering human NPC who does not participate in the fight, but the Magical Plant/Vinestalker does participate in the fight. In order to defeat Caeruleus you must destroy the Vinestalker FIRST, but you fight them simultaneously.

Vinestalker is the same as the ones found in the Zombie-bride chambers, with a CR of 22/24/28.

Caeruleus is a Chaotic Evil Vampire with DR Silver & Good. He has a CR of 28/33/38.

Upon defeating both bosses the Adventure is completed and 2 Chests Spawn.

Loot:
Chests: 8 (6 Optional).

NPC Reward: Random

Daggertooth
04-04-2011, 10:58 PM
:cool:

Explorer86
04-04-2011, 11:00 PM
Nice. Perhaps some rewards could be silvered weapons and/or weapons effective against undead?

~jradnut
04-04-2011, 11:11 PM
Ooh! Ooh! And a rare! Gotta have a rare...a seamonster, yeah, attacks the ferry! But it's not just any seamonster, no. It was a prince of a land far far away and had a rival for his true love that was an evil wizard, yeah!

After being turned into this evil seamonster, he was cursed to live in the swamp where he is constantly looking for his lost love on passing ferries, :p.

A successful diplo and no battle.

Optional could be helping the monster regain his true form and reunite hime with his love who is now an evil medusa, but that is another quest, :rolleyes:

Anyway, imagination is a terribad thing to waste. You keep writing 'em and I'll keep reading 'em.

I would +1 you but my plusser seems stuck, hehe.

ryingar
04-04-2011, 11:41 PM
Sounds like a fun raid. Nice work.

Daggertooth
04-05-2011, 01:23 AM
A successful diplo and no battle.

No! I hate Diplo's and no battle! Whoever came up with that whole idea should be fired. I squelch anyone who successfuly diploes the king in Relic of Sov Past, especially if I wasn't consulted first. I also hate people who use featherfall! :mad: I squelch anyone who uses featherfall after the floor breaks away in wiz king... and I absoltuely refuse to open up the int rune for the person who 'arrives safely' 5 minutes after we've all shrined and are ready to take the d door.

Tom_Hunters
04-05-2011, 10:15 AM
Nice and fun, just 3 things

1st, Might be ages before Turbine gives a plant mob:( And in case it does, maybe we want to see MORE plant mobs in quest XD
2nd, The 3x bride fight might be a little bit repetitive
3rd, Isn't a vampire Lawful Evil?

How about the vampire got changed into a gardening master/plantation owner, but of plant monsters?
So it's like fighting more of plant monsters in stead of fighting 4 mobs at the end

HalfOrcBeautyQueen
04-05-2011, 10:29 AM
Nice. Perhaps some rewards could be silvered weapons and/or weapons effective against undead?

These were the unique raid rewards I was thinking of, but I'm not very savvy when it comes to game mechanics so they might be over-powered:

Bridal Gown - Robe: Charisma +6, Superior Beatitude VI, Superior Benevolence VI
Groom's Costume - Outfit: Competence to-hit Bonus +2, Proficiency: Longsword
Wedding Band - Ring: Brilliance (Applied to Melee Attacks)
Diamond Ring - Ring: Slicing (Applied to Melee attacks)
Lace Gloves - Glove: Undead Guard, Protection from Evil, Deathblock
Caeruleus's Elixir - Trinket: Panacea (3/day), Improved Regeneration (Recovers 1 hit point per 30 seconds)
Wedding Cake - Trinket: Heal (3/day)
Song book - Trinket: Anthem, Sonic Lore, Exceptional Charisma +1

As I said I'm not very good at game mechanics/balance, but here are the unique weapons I think would be fitting:
Arawai's Trophy - +5 Morningstar: Holy, Greater Healing Lore, Plant Guard (2% Chance on-hit to summon a CR 16 Vinestalker)
Marie's Trovel - +5 Dagger: Acid, Corrosive Salt, Greater Plant Bane

Nice and fun, just 3 things

1st, Might be ages before Turbine gives a plant mob:( And in case it does, maybe we want to see MORE plant mobs in quest XD
2nd, The 3x bride fight might be a little bit repetitive
3rd, Isn't a vampire Lawful Evil?

How about the vampire got changed into a gardening master/plantation owner, but of plant monsters?
So it's like fighting more of plant monsters in stead of fighting 4 mobs at the end

1. Plant Mobs are already in-game, the Vinestalkers from Red Fens.
2. True, that's why I made them optionals.
3. Yes, Vampires are Lawful Evil, but Caeruleus isn't really a Vampire which is why I made his alignment Chaotic Evil. He's a youth obsessed egomaniac.

I was thinking of having Plant trash-mobs wandering the halls of the Castle, but I wasn't sure if that would be too difficult.

No! I hate Diplo's and no battle! Whoever came up with that whole idea should be fired. I squelch anyone who successfuly diploes the king in Relic of Sov Past, especially if I wasn't consulted first. I also hate people who use featherfall! :mad: I squelch anyone who uses featherfall after the floor breaks away in wiz king... and I absoltuely refuse to open up the int rune for the person who 'arrives safely' 5 minutes after we've all shrined and are ready to take the d door.

The Skill checks as written are entirely optional, one can bypass them completely, but I feel that our skills aren't used all that much except for a few quests - might as well give them a purpose here :)