PDA

View Full Version : Free to Play: Max level?

Seraphine_Harmonium
04-02-2011, 06:15 PM
So I understand at one point there was a level cap of 4 for free players, or that you then had to find sigils, but that this is no longer the case. Looking at the lists of available quests, however, I am not seeing any (or hardly any) free to play quests past 12th level, and I was wondering if that is the case, is it really possible to make it all the way to level 20 without purchasing anything. I am thinking of the diminishing returns in xp on quests as you repeat them, and wonder if there's a point at which you just can't get enough experience to keep leveling without paying for something.

MsEricka
04-02-2011, 06:20 PM
is it really possible to make it all the way to level 20 without purchasing anything.

yes

Ystradmynach
04-02-2011, 06:22 PM
You don't have to buy anything, but you do have to spend turbine points to get some high level content. You get free turbine points whenever you get 100 favor and when reaching certain favor milestones on each server.

So getting to 20th level is possible without paying a cent, in fact I'm sure it's been done numerous times, however it will take a fair amount of grinding to get enough turbine points to pull it off.

Ytteri
04-02-2011, 06:23 PM
You gain free DDO points as you gain favour in the game. You can bank those up and buy adventure packs without spending any real money. So while it might not be possible to get to 20 without buying a pack, you can easily get to 20 without spending any real money.

quickgrif
04-02-2011, 06:24 PM
So I understand at one point there was a level cap of 4 for free players, or that you then had to find sigils, but that this is no longer the case. Looking at the lists of available quests, however, I am not seeing any (or hardly any) free to play quests past 12th level, and I was wondering if that is the case, is it really possible to make it all the way to level 20 without purchasing anything. I am thinking of the diminishing returns in xp on quests as you repeat them, and wonder if there's a point at which you just can't get enough experience to keep leveling without paying for something.
As you do quest you gain favor which gives you points to be able to buy some packs of higher levels.

You may be better, if you like the game enough, buying a pack of points to get you up to premium player and a jump start on the game.

fuzzy1guy
04-02-2011, 06:29 PM
Its entirely possible.

But. I can't imagine it being any fun after grinding out all the favor needed for just a couple of the more popular packs.

If you're gonna play at all 'serious like'. Drop $50 (the cost of a single player retail game) into turbine pts and you'll be set pretty well without ever spending another dime.

Seraphine_Harmonium
04-02-2011, 06:30 PM
You don't have to buy anything, but you do have to spend turbine points to get some high level content. You get free turbine points whenever you get 100 favor and when reaching certain favor milestones on each server.

So getting to 20th level is possible without paying a cent, in fact I'm sure it's been done numerous times, however it will take a fair amount of grinding to get enough turbine points to pull it off.

I did know that you could get turbine points without paying real money, but I'm glad to find out that you can get enough of them without paying money to successfully reach lvl 20. Thanks all!

Parenthetically, can this be done on one server with one character, or is this something you have to grind on multiple servers for?

Xenostrata
04-02-2011, 06:47 PM
I did know that you could get turbine points without paying real money, but I'm glad to find out that you can get enough of them without paying money to successfully reach lvl 20. Thanks all!

Parenthetically, can this be done on one server with one character, or is this something you have to grind on multiple servers for?

I would suggest that as a F2Per you should choose one server as your main server for grinding and get as much favor possible on that one, and on every other server have one character get up to 100 for the server bonus. Favor tp rewards are set up like this:
Per character: 25 tp for every 100 favor
Per server: 50 tp at 5 favor, 25 tp at 25 favor, 25 tp at 50 favor
The per server reward only matters for the first character you use to reach a reward on that server (no making multiple characters tonget the 5 favor reward). So, if you so far gave no characters on any server, then you pick one to grind extensively on to get as much player favor as possible and have one character on the other servers to get the 5, 25, 50 server rewards and the 100 player reward. Gets you 125 for each server.

Elof_X
04-02-2011, 06:48 PM

You could technically do it all on one toon, but it's advisable to take advantage of the (one-time) bonuses on each server. As follows:

Favor Threshold - TP Reward
5 - 50
25 - 25
50 - 25 (probably best to stop here or to 100)
500 - 50
1000 - 100
2000 - 100
3000 - 100

After this and in addition, any toon may earn 25 TPs for every 100 favor earned. I do this by grinding to 100 favor then re-rolling a toon ad nauseum. This can be done indefinitely. There's a lot of great f2p guides out there that I haven't used personally but are very helpful regarding what to farm etc.

So yes, to echo the others, it's very possible to get to level 20 without actually ever paying for anything. If you run quests intelligently, you'd only really have to farm up the Vale of Twilight pack, which is what I did. (However, I had planned on doing this anyway and have farmed a few more packs since then.) I'm still f2p to this day and play mostly epic content with epic gear, so it's also possible to play endgame without ever going VIP as well.

TheDearLeader
04-02-2011, 06:49 PM
http://ddowiki.com/page/Guide_to_Free_to_Play

EllisDee37
04-02-2011, 08:18 PM
I was in the same boat, and when there was a double bonus points special I dropped $20 to get 1900 turbine points. That let me wait for sales on the few adventure packs I absolutely needed.

From an XP perspective, to get to level 20 you only need two packs: Ruins of Gianthold and Vale of Twilight.

From a favor perspective, unlocking 32pt builds with 1750 favor requires a few more. My recommendation:

1052 Free to play
216 Ruins of Gianthold
207 The Vale of Twilight
129 Delera's Tomb
117 Sorrowdusk Isle
54 The Red Fens
----

Gianthold and Vale are requirements, no need to defend those. For the other three...

Delera's Tomb doesn't have a great TP/favor ratio (15th out of all 26 packs) but it's excellent, popular content, and the Voice of the Master trinket (+5% xp) really helps take the pressure off the xp issues.

Sorrowdusk Isle is one of the best TP/favor (5th out of 26) packs in the game; great value if you need favor.

Red Fens is actually poor TP/favor (22nd out of 26) but the reviews are good, it's supposed to be one of the better epic content packs around, and it's pretty cheap. Looking for just the last 25 favor, Red Fens was easily the best overall value.

Some of the best TP/favor packs in the game are Necropolis, which generally got terrible reviews. Just to put it out there, Gianthold and Vale both offer good TP/favor value, ranked 7th and 10th out of 26 respectively, so it's super easy to justify them as the two must-have packs.

I would get to 500 turbine points as quickly as you can, probably just getting the 50 free points from 5 favor per server on all the servers. Once you have that, you can wait for a 50% off Tuesday sale on the packs you need. Check here (http://www.ddo.com/turbinetuesdays) every Monday to see what that week's sale is. Sadly you just missed last Tuesday, where both Gianthold and Delera's Tomb were 50% off, but surely they'll come back around again.

WTFFowler
04-02-2011, 08:25 PM
It should be worth noting though, all you need to do is spend $5 american to have acess to a premium account

Xenus_Paradox
04-02-2011, 09:39 PM
If you're strictly F2P, there's not much to do after level 12 anyway. No F2P raids above level 10 (Tempest's Spine), very little decent gear from F2P quests, etc.

Seraphine_Harmonium
04-03-2011, 01:01 AM
When you purchase adventure packs, do you get them on all servers?

EllisDee37
04-03-2011, 01:02 AM
When you purchase adventure packs, do you get them on all servers?Yep, they are universal purchases, available to all characters and all servers for that account.

Seraphine_Harmonium
04-03-2011, 01:11 AM
Yep, they are universal purchases, available to all characters and all servers for that account.

Yay!

Ttip
04-03-2011, 02:32 AM
I dare you to play F2P and get any character past level 5 without being overtaken by the urge to at least drop a few coins for premium. This game is just that good. Do not try it unless you have extra time in your schedule to devote to your computer...you have been warned.

PNellesen
04-03-2011, 09:08 AM
I dare you to play F2P and get any character past level 5 without being overtaken by the urge to at least drop a few coins for premium. This game is just that good. Do not try it unless you have extra time in your schedule to devote to your computer...you have been warned.

QFT. This is what happened to me :)

Save up $50.00, wait for the "Double Turbine Points" sale to come around (I've seen 2 of them now in less than a year) then buy enough points to get pretty much any pack you want (in addition to the ones mentioned above, I would add the Sands - huge XP in there, and some really good loot too.)

FlyingTurtle
04-03-2011, 09:34 AM
When you purchase adventure packs, do you get them on all servers?

All TP-based purchases are across all servers (except obvious things like items, of course). It doesn't matter if you've bought or earned the TP.

All favor-based "unlocks" are per-server only, e.g. drow; vet status; 32-point builds.

Templarion
04-03-2011, 09:51 AM
I played normally on level 14 before I did even open the DDO store.

13-15 is realistic f2p max.

tekkentroop
04-03-2011, 09:58 AM
I bought a $20 package around christmas with double bonus points, and with this and points from grinding, I now got 5 packs on discount (Vale, Gianthold, Sands, Delaras and Tangleroot) and 32 point chars (a doubtful choice, but saves me greater reincarnations for my favourite chars). The only thing im really missing is the shared bank, I cant move around the crystal cove event gear. With this, I think there wont be a real necessity to buy further stuff. Monk and Warforged look cool, but until now, ive gotten along without.

FlyingTurtle
04-03-2011, 10:23 AM
I played normally on level 14 before I did even open the DDO store.

13-15 is realistic f2p max.

And then,

900+ earned free TP (really easy, level 7 toons on each server to 100 favor = 7x125 = 875 TP) -> Vale of Twilight (full price 850, get it on sale sometime) -> capped toon.

It's not that this is likely to happen (if you like the game that much, you'll probably have bought some TP by then), but it's nice to know it can be done without any extreme grinding.

CherryHaze
04-03-2011, 10:36 AM
Havent read what other have written, but U can go all the way to 20 as a free to play like I did (an many of my firends woth 3 or more past lives, pure free to play), by just playing and making dsome turbine points.You are right obout low number of quests in the mid/high game, i think it's just a company's choice)

When u hit lvl 14-15 (even sooner) you canb buy yourself some packswith the turbines u've allready made. (and if u need more in the future, there a re waysa of making turbine without buying them with real money).
Anione who says this is not a free to play game is a complete waist of your time.

EllisDee37
04-03-2011, 08:52 PM
I dare you to play F2P and get any character past level 5 without being overtaken by the urge to at least drop a few coins for premium. This game is just that good. Do not try it unless you have extra time in your schedule to devote to your computer...you have been warned.Yep, same story over here. I think I might have even been level 5 when a Double Bonus Points special came around, and I simply couldn't pass it up. The game is just too good not to play.

I love love love having four character slots, I really like the extra time before you get booted for inactivity, and the multiple auction postings is a must-have for making real money. Which makes removing the plat cap nice, but mostly irrelevant since without multiple auctions it'd be pretty tough to hit the plat cap anyway.

Damnatio
04-04-2011, 12:39 PM

I asked the same (somewhat) thing some time ago too and got a lot of feedback;
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=304744

Seraphine_Harmonium
04-04-2011, 06:34 PM
Far be it from me to tell people they cannot continue to post as they like, but the question has been answered to my satisfaction. I probably won't keep checking this regularly from now on. Thank you all.