PDA

View Full Version : Halfling Healing Bard

Mavnas
03-28-2011, 02:55 AM
So in my last life I was a Rgr/Rog/Pal with Jorasco Dragonmarks, and while they are very expensive feat-wise and not that useful in a good group... I was usually not in a very good group, and I got an awful lot of use out of them. One thing I really liked was Ranger Devotion IV + Extra Dragonmark Use IV + Superior Potency/Devotion VI. So then I got around to thinking, what would be even more awesome is if I had a bunch of metamagic feats applied to them. So I'm looking for a non-Clr/non-FvS (they already get Heal lol) class that gets a heal bump and metamagic feats. So I'm thinking bard next.

I'm wondering how effective will my healing be if I get those (plus update 9 changes to cure spell costs)? I should still have enough feats left over to cover the usual bard buffing/CC, and with a rogue splash I can still do traps. I'm almost wondering what else I could do.

Jiirix
03-28-2011, 04:05 AM
Pure spellsinger + halfing dragonmarks should work fine. I am not sure about the rogue splash, cause the capstone is very usefull to a spellsinger.

TheDearLeader
03-28-2011, 04:08 AM
Pure spellsinger + halfing dragonmarks should work fine. I am not sure about the rogue splash, cause the capstone is very usefull to a spellsinger.

The capstone is useful to a CC Spellsinger.

Considering the OP is burning 3 feats and possibly some Enhancements on a Dragonmark, I doubt the remaining 4 feats are going to allow him to effectively perform the CC Role, especially if he starts taking Empower/Maximize/etc to boost those Dragonmarks.

Mavnas
03-28-2011, 04:09 AM
I should mention I intend to spend about 0 time at 20 before the next true rez. I'm slowly but surely working towards Completionist. Ranger down, working on Cleric, trying to figure out what's next. (So yeah, this would be a 36 point build.)

zex95966
03-28-2011, 04:11 AM
Rogue splash is also a lil... iffy to do on a bard. but then I prob went a bit overboard on skills on mine, I had umd, open lock, search, spot, disable, perform, balance and diplo... takes a lot of int and you still want con and charisma of course... and 6-8 str is iffy. ah but your 36 point not 32...

Mavnas
03-28-2011, 05:25 PM
In my first life I had 14 int on my ranger and had no trouble being able to do traps with 2 rogue levels. Bard even has UMD as a class skill, so that's one less cross-class.

edit: Also, I'm not sure I can handle not having evasion.

AtomicMew
03-31-2011, 05:02 AM
I think it's a waste of time. 1) Speccing for healing is a bad idea to begin with, and 2) even if you are dead set on heal spec, dragonmarks are not the way to go.

Least and lesser dragonmarks are replicated by wanding and maxing out wand and scroll mastery. Remember that bards get higher wand multipliers compared to clerics.

The greater dragonmark is replicated by maximized cures. Since you're not going to spend much time at level 20, heal isn't really that big a deal.

If you are dead set on playing a healing bard, go human for the extra feat, go spellsinger for more mana. You CAN take mental toughness and improved mental toughness, but it's not really necessary. However, I do think you'd get more for your buck with MT and IMT than you would with the healing marks, specially with -10% spell discount.

Bard healing is ridiculously easy for mid level content. With U9 changes on the way, it will be even easier. You don't need to dedicate your build to it.

JasonJi72
03-31-2011, 05:34 AM
I started a character kinda like that once, but I did not finish him. The reason wasn't that he wasn't fun or effective, but I just do that. I like to play a lot of different characters.

I was planning on going 17 bard / 1 wizard / 2 fighter melee healing bard with the halfling dragonmarks. There was a toss up between spellsinger and virtuoso, but I went with spellsinger for the extra spellpoints and mana regen song. Warchanter could work too, but I felt that the other two would fit the character better, and I had a hard time finding room for weapon focus I believe.

It was a fun character to play. Much more fun than a healbot.

Mavnas
04-01-2011, 09:09 PM
Wands do a poor job. It's hard to swing a weapon and use a wand repeatedly, while weaving a few spells/DMs between swings is trivially easy. With U9 mana cost changes I may not need the DMs though.

I guess deep down this all arises out of frustration in filling groups. Sometimes I couldn't find a healer. Now that I'm the healer, I sometimes can't find a rogue and a cleric's Skill Points per level wouldn't cut it to replace a rogue.

Satinavian
04-02-2011, 05:53 AM
I do play a rogue-splashed (drow) spellsinger and it is fun.

Well, she is not really healing-specced, but it would easily be attainable with a little less melee-power. Also, not every spellsinger has to do CC. If you so the standart bard duties including buffs and songs, you would have enough sp for healing duties left as spellsinger (spellsinger gives a lot sp.) Also the skillboni of the PrE might make it a bit easier to cover all wanted skills as a roguesplash.

But i woudn't take the dragonmarks. As you already have healing spells, i think, it would be better to invest the feats boosting the spells and maybe the sp instead of using them to get a very limited number of additinal, not enhanced uses.

Dragonmarks shine with classes, that do lack inherent healing abilities as they provide additional options there.

Don't do it, if you do not like playing support charakters.

Mavnas
04-02-2011, 09:14 PM
I do play a rogue-splashed (drow) spellsinger and it is fun.

Well, she is not really healing-specced, but it would easily be attainable with a little less melee-power. Also, not every spellsinger has to do CC. If you so the standart bard duties including buffs and songs, you would have enough sp for healing duties left as spellsinger (spellsinger gives a lot sp.) Also the skillboni of the PrE might make it a bit easier to cover all wanted skills as a roguesplash.

But i woudn't take the dragonmarks. As you already have healing spells, i think, it would be better to invest the feats boosting the spells and maybe the sp instead of using them to get a very limited number of additinal, not enhanced uses.

Dragonmarks shine with classes, that do lack inherent healing abilities as they provide additional options there.

Don't do it, if you do not like playing support charakters.

Dragonmarks are enhanced by your class enhancements and potency/devotion. Trying to use them on a class without those leads to CLW and CSW being almost useless by high level. I guess, they were most useful as a Ranger, given the more limited nature of ranger healing and availability of Ranger Devotion IV.