PDA

View Full Version : Threnal needs some improvement

der_kluge
03-25-2011, 03:34 PM
So, last night, I decided I wanted to run the Threnal Arena quest. I'd never done it - certainly no one ever runs it as an LFM, and groups that zerg the 9 Threnal quests, never run the Arena afterwards. So, I've played for a year and a half, and I finally ran it last night.

What a waste of time that was.

Ok, I'm exaggerating a bit - I had fun with it. But the end rewards came no where near the level of challenge I had completing it. I solo'd it with my FvS and the first two waves were cakewalks, and then the beholders showed up, and I couldn't cast, and the negative levels started to pile on, and my life became difficult. I actually died like 3 times trying to finish it. Very challenging little quest.

And when it was all finally over, I got a +5 longsword. Seriously?

Perhaps this quest was made at a time when a +5 longsword (or +5 dagger) were really nice weapons. Ok, I can't see a +5 dagger ever being a really nice weapon, but whatever.

I'm not asking for much here - keep everything like it is. Just improve the end reward a little bit. Maybe +5 keen, or increase the options - a scimitar, or kopesh, falchion, or greatsword. You know, weapons people actually use. Whatever.

While I'm on the topic of Threnal. Why aren't the 3 little side quests in Threnal actual quests that give favor? I ran them while I was in there for kicks. They are fun little quests. And actually the loot didn't suck. I ran one of them a long time ago and actually pulled a portable hole out of the chest. Maybe make them walkups with a questgiver and give them a little pittance for favor?

Illiain
03-25-2011, 03:43 PM
There's a reason people will run the chain, and completely skip the arena. It's not worth the effort. All anyone is ever looking for is the named end reward from the chain. Get your Mantle or maybe a couple Retribution for some odd Paladin/Monk WSS TWF build, and never go back again.

I agree though, something should be done with it as it's mostly wasted.

redraider
03-25-2011, 03:44 PM
Agreed. They should just take Threnal and convert it to a Lvl 17-20 area with appropriate loot.

No one runs it but us old timers.

Easy way to make more end game content is to convert some of the content no one plays.

Come on Devs! Easy money!

Asirin
03-25-2011, 03:47 PM
/signed

I would just be happy if it were possible to remove the "repeat said excavation" from the TOP of the conversation options.Too many times I have reset the entire east or west chain by accident.

MrkGrismer
03-25-2011, 03:47 PM
Just you wait until Update 9, then that +5 Longsword will be worth more than Green Steel ingredients!

(No, probably not... but... but... well... but nothing...)

dozkal-mo
03-25-2011, 03:50 PM
Just you wait until Update 9, then that +5 Longsword will be worth more than Green Steel ingredients!

(No, probably not... but... but... well... but nothing...)

Well...with the new crafting you can rip off the +5 and put it on something else? Maybe?

Illiain
03-25-2011, 03:55 PM
Well...with the new crafting you can rip off the +5 and put it on something else? Maybe?

It's a named +5 longsword, so no you can't. Looks like it'll only work with random generated loot.

http://ddowiki.com/page/Threnalian_War_Blade

MrkGrismer
03-25-2011, 03:57 PM
It would be nice if you could use it as a base and add stuff to it, but I'm thinking not...

AndyD47
03-25-2011, 04:33 PM
So I just solo'd the threnal chain on my 8 bard the other day,first time through it since I bought it on sale.

The whole southern excavation can die in a fire started and fed by coyle and his entire suicidal family,with a few deneith explorers standing around with marshmellows because those guys are awesome.

I'll never step foot in there again now that I got my mantle.

I really feel sorry for vets who had to deal with that as the end game back when there was a level 10 cap, I can't imagine running that on elite for loot...CO6 is where the fun is at.

The one thing that stuck out as particularly evil is the random black pudding in the middle of 3 fleshrenders/earth elementals I'd run into every two minutes, best idea ever right there.

agent00skid
03-25-2011, 05:13 PM
I actually like most of Threnal.

The library protect thing is just so annoying though. And the arena is hard and not very rewarding, but love all the other quests.

Lagin
03-25-2011, 05:21 PM
/signed

The whole area is a fantastic setting, and the improvements made last year made it even better.

The arena is a fun thing to do once :( and should be overhauled.

It has the potential to be along the line of DA in marketplace.

Good thread

FrancisP.Fancypants
03-25-2011, 05:53 PM
True. Aren't half the actual quests in this game full of nothing but vendor trash though? Aside from that it's still a neat flavor bit. The first time I figured it out (What's this fancy cutlery for? I can't even use this for a real knife! Why's there a theater in this dead end?) I hadn't really expected beholders; but you know axe-wielding dwarves, always looking for trouble..

I still really enjoy parts of Threnal, and if I ever get around to bothering with a group for coyle, I'll actually finish the thing.

I'll second the arena overhaul. And I like the level-based waves idea- maybe with a large set of randomized monsters. Keep people on their toes, or at least make them hold their breath and hope beholders don't show up.

der_kluge
03-28-2011, 01:05 PM
I think kobolds in Crystal Cove have more hit points than Coyle does.

Dandonk
03-28-2011, 01:17 PM
I like Threnal, actually. Well, except for east3, of course.

Fun quests, good end rewards. Good xp in east2, decent in east1.

If East3 was made less annoying (shorter, mostly), and xp upped a bit in west and south, it'd be great.

Sarisa
03-28-2011, 01:19 PM
I think kobolds in Crystal Cove have more hit points than Coyle does.

I think some of the kobolds in Waterworks have more HP than Coyle does.

One fire breath from a Mephit can take half his HP.

Lorien_the_First_One
03-28-2011, 01:20 PM
Your are correct OP, when the chain was release a +5 weapon was extremely rare and powerful.

You are also correct that it has been a good 4 years since there was any point in running the arena.