PDA

View Full Version : Faster Loading

sakull
03-23-2011, 12:04 PM
Why data about character can't be stored on hard drive instead of downloading it every time when logging in?
There should be just um5 key generated and compared with this on the server to check if data on hd and server are the same.
Please consider it cause it would be a great performance. Servers would be less weighted etc.

dkyle
03-23-2011, 12:13 PM
I doubt character information loading is really a significant drain on the servers, compared to all the other traffic going on.

And unless you're willing to risk losing your character to a local hard drive crash, or not be able to easily play the same character across multiple machines, you'll want to sync the character with the server regularly anyway, which means little reduction in server traffic.

Shively.ky
03-23-2011, 02:30 PM
If they were stored client side, we could...edit them

dkyle
03-23-2011, 02:32 PM
If they were stored client side, we could...edit them

A correctly implemented checksum/encryption could prevent this.

Of course, then we'd have to trust the Devs to correctly implement such a thing. Which is probably unwise.

Lorien_the_First_One
03-23-2011, 02:35 PM
Anyone want to take a guess on how many bytes of data make up our character? I'm guessing that isn't a traffic problem.

It is a hacking problem and data safety problem if stored locally.

sakull
03-23-2011, 02:58 PM
And unless you're willing to risk losing your character to a local hard drive crash, or not be able to easily play the same character across multiple machines, you'll want to sync the character with the server regularly anyway, which means little reduction in server traffic.

I dont mind having data only on hd but on server too. If md5 is not the same u would have the same loading as u have now. Saving on hd would be usefull for ppl who play mostly on one machine.

Anyone want to take a guess on how many bytes of data make up our character? I'm guessing that isn't a traffic problem.

so why loading take so much time :P i have 2 SDD in raid 0 and i can see whole environment after 2 second but it takes about 30 or even more seconds before I can even move.

It is a hacking problem and data safety problem if stored locally.

why someone should want to have data of your character? To see what eq u have? Still there can be an option to turn it off if u don't like it but for me and pll I talked to in real it would be great feature.

Missing_Minds
03-23-2011, 03:05 PM
so why loading take so much time :P i have 2 SDD in raid 0 and i can see whole environment after 2 second but it takes about 30 or even more seconds before I can even move.

when first loading in, you..

get area map data. (this is your "whole environment" I bet.)
you get data of every character around you.

ALL of this means texture files get read into memory from HD for the first time, then gets processed, then gets created.

Let alone client/server sync, application of buffs, application of proficiencies (see masters touch and all the lag that can cause client side), spells loading in, chat server connections, etc.

There is a LOT of first time loading happening which is more than what you were considering in your op.

sakull
03-23-2011, 03:18 PM
Really thanks Missing Minds for your answer, I appreciate that. Now I see it's not only about character data. I was just wondering what can be done with it cause I have impression that loading was much faster before update 7 when I've started playing.

donfilibuster
03-23-2011, 04:40 PM
There's a lot of things going on at loading time and player data might be the least important.

You can get slowness at various stages, at first when connecting, then loading the area is relative to RAM and after the loading screen you still have to wait till teh crowd appears, and while your hotbars fill, etc.

Your stats are also recalculated, having lots of UMD checks are reportedly adding a few extra seconds.

Troubleshooting loading lag is not too simple.

There's also the issue of the 'fragmented dat file', that some people get and some don't.
If it was working right before u7 and now after four patches it doesn't you may have caught that problem.

People that started on u5 was saying they played fine on u7, but began to complain on u8.
I have the same install since u2 and noted it slow by u5, and can note that every succesive patch makes the load a bit slower.