PDA

View Full Version : My Scrolls Suggestion

Qezuzu
03-21-2011, 10:51 AM
So I heard epic scrolls are getting generalized, e.g. Scroll of the Sands, Scroll of the Chronoscope. Whether this is completely true or not, here's my suggestion to make scrolls (and epic items) not far too common (as a I feel this update will bring), but make every scroll worth at least worth something (incinerating 200 gnolls and getting nothing but a Scroll of the Weathered Targe is... well, you know).

Using VoN as an example, as it has a large loot list but not too large.

Level 1 Scrolls (66% drop rate, equal chance for any):
Azure Necklace of Prophecy
Crimson Necklace of Prophecy
Ironweave Robe
Docent of Grace
etc.

This piece of paper has a tangible feeling of value. Some edges are torn and you can see faded text underneath; this scroll may have been part of a different parchment once.

Level 2 Scrolls (22% drop rate, equal chance for any):
Cloak of the Silver Concord
Stonemeld Plate Armor
Dragon's Eye
Kundarak Delving Goggles
etc.

This scroll has a definitive aura of power and potential. It surely is capable of making a powerful item. Some edges are torn and you can see faded text underneath; this scroll may have been part of a different parchment once.

Level 3 Scrolls (11% drop rate, equal chance for any):
Sword of Shadow
Belt of the Mroranon
Helm of the Mroranon
Hammer of Life
etc.

The feeling of raw potential is almost frightening; this must be an incredibly valuable item. Handle it with upmost care!

Any 3 Level 1 Scrolls + 5 + epic dungeon tokens + 200k plat* + Altar of Epic Rituals = any 1 random Level 2 Scroll

Any 2 Level 2 Scrolls + 10 + epic dungeon tokens + 400k plat* + Altar of Epic Rituals = any 1 random Level 3 Scroll

The abnormally large loot-listed Sands could have level 4 scrolls (Marilith Chain, Staff of Arcane Power, etc). Packs with very small loot lists (Sentinels) would have the same system as now. Packs in the middle (Carnival) could only 2 levels of scrolls.

Furthermore:

Any Level X scroll + 3 epic dungeon tokens + 100k plat* + Altar of Epic Rituals = any 1 random Level X Scroll (the transformations can be applied to a scroll multiple times, and it will never be the same item more than once. It cannot go X -> X, X -> Y -> X, etc).

In my opinion a system like this might have about the same grind, but it will be "easier" since you can actually make progress towards an epic item, and not run dozens of epic quests and have nothing to show for it but a Scroll of the Wasted Time.

Discuss!

*(or an item bought from Misty for 100k/200k/400k plat as you can't put plat in crafting devices)

dkyle
03-21-2011, 11:05 AM
Unfortunately, I do not trust the Devs to make any coherent value judgement on which epic items are worthy of Level 1 vs Level 3.

And 15 dungeon tokens for a chance at the scroll I want out of a list of that many seems very costly. 15 is close to the point where I'd expect a very good chance (like Raid 20ths).

But I'm somewhat short on tokens, as I'm unwilling to grind for the truly insane items (i.e., most Desert items).

Chrono and Red Fens don't require nearly as much sheer repetition.

Qezuzu
03-21-2011, 11:42 AM
Unfortunately, I do not trust the Devs to make any coherent value judgement on which epic items are worthy of Level 1 vs Level 3.

Given the droprate of Marilith Chain scroll, I'd say they have at least somewhat of an idea.

They could ask a veteran player. Either way not my problem.

And 15 dungeon tokens for a chance at the scroll I want out of a list of that many seems very costly. 15 is close to the point where I'd expect a very good chance (like Raid 20ths).

Prices can be tweaked, but remember than tokens can be obtained by doing easy epics like Carnival, Fens, etc.

dkyle
03-21-2011, 11:44 AM
Prices can be tweaked, but remember than tokens can be obtained by doing easy epics like Carnival, Fens, etc.

Even those easy epics take a good chuck of play-time to get the token.

Encouraging more mindless grind of easy quests is not a good thing.

pasterqb
03-21-2011, 04:00 PM
:(