PDA

View Full Version : Swordmage Class

Chrasch
03-20-2011, 07:17 PM
I just found out about the Swordmage class while reading a DnD book. This sounds awesome and the main reason I duel classed Wizard and Rogue was so that I could cats spells while wielding a Sword. Swordmage would be great because then i could cast spells, wield a sword, and still get all the nifty bonuses that come with sticking with one class only.

KillEveryone
03-20-2011, 07:22 PM
Masters Touch.

Mathieugh
03-20-2011, 07:25 PM
I would much rather see this kind of thing in expensive multiclass PrE's. The Arcane Trickster could be fun, and a Spellsword would be another interesting one. I want to put my vote out for the developer time on new classes be reserved for distinct core classes that are still missing (*cough* Druid! *cough*) rather than this or other classes-that-should-be-PrE's. I mean, really, why should there be a separate class when the multiclassing mechanic allows one to accomplish the same thing. The point of multiclassing is to lose one advantage in favor of another. PrE's are the solution, not new classes.

chrisgina39
03-20-2011, 07:34 PM
id say make a PRE to favor this not a class (its been suggested already) theres plenty of builds that could use this

Chrasch
03-20-2011, 07:34 PM
I would much rather see this kind of thing in expensive multiclass PrE's. The Arcane Trickster could be fun, and a Spellsword would be another interesting one. I want to put my vote out for the developer time on new classes be reserved for distinct core classes that are still missing (*cough* Druid! *cough*) rather than this or other classes-that-should-be-PrE's. I mean, really, why should there be a separate class when the multiclassing mechanic allows one to accomplish the same thing. The point of multiclassing is to lose one advantage in favor of another. PrE's are the solution, not new classes.

Not exactly sur ewhat PrE's are dude.

KillEveryone
03-20-2011, 07:38 PM

Wizard PrEs are Pale Master, Archmage
Rogue PrEs are Mechanic, Acrobat, Assassin

A PrE is basically a "profession" that falls withing your class. Not all rogues are assassins but the assassin is more of a profession of a rogue.

Faelyndel
03-20-2011, 07:47 PM
"PrE" stands for Prestige Enhancement, which is DDO's version of the Prestige Classes of PnP.

KillEveryone's definition summed it up well enough; it's a specialty line of enhancements you can choose to buy that increase the class' abilities in some way (usually some minor skill bonuses and such) and grants some unique abilities, or abilities that emulate another class such as the Monk PrE Ninja Spy giving sneak attack die like a rogue gets. Mostly class-specific as of now except for Arcane Archer, but racial PrE's are in the works.

Myrddinman
03-20-2011, 07:57 PM

Think of it as a specialization within a class.

For example:
Ranger

Tempest = Two Weapon Fighting expert
Arcane Archer = Ranged expert

Rogue

Mechanic = Traps expert
Assassin = Sneak Attack/Damage expert
Acrobat = Quarterstaff expert

...and so on

Depending on the spells you want to cast, you could always look at a Bard ;)

Chrasch
03-20-2011, 07:58 PM
"PrE" stands for Prestige Enhancement, which is DDO's version of the Prestige Classes of PnP.

KillEveryone's definition summed it up well enough; it's a specialty line of enhancements you can choose to buy that increase the class' abilities in some way (usually some minor skill bonuses and such) and grants some unique abilities, or abilities that emulate another class such as the Monk PrE Ninja Spy giving sneak attack die like a rogue gets. Mostly class-specific as of now except for Arcane Archer, but racial PrE's are in the works.

Is there a Wizard or Sorcerer one that gives Fighter or Rogue stuff?

ColdNapalm
03-20-2011, 08:00 PM

No...not even on the list of things to be done "soon".

KillEveryone
03-20-2011, 08:15 PM

You can go with FvS and have divine spells. They have good melee capability.

You can go with a Warchanter Bard and have some arcane stuff and melee. You get healing spells and good buffs. A little CC but you need spell pen for Otto's Irresistible Dance and any other spell will require a high CHA but your melee will suffer. Fascinate will still be viable.

You can go wizard and cast Masters Touch to get the weapon proficiency. You will need a way to get your BAB up. I don't care for Tensors because it prevents you from casting. If you don't have a good INT, your DC spells will suffer.

Myrddinman
03-20-2011, 08:32 PM

Is there something in particular you are looking for when you mention Fighter and Rogue? Sneak Attack? Weapon proficiencies? DPS? Trap skills?

Kominalito
03-20-2011, 08:36 PM
Is there something in particular you are looking for when you mention Fighter and Rogue? Sneak Attack? Weapon proficiencies? DPS? Trap skills?

PvP?

Antheal
03-20-2011, 09:22 PM
The ability to enchant a sword with elemental damage could be pretty neat.

Tier I: Weapon does 1 point of either Acid, Electric, Fire or Ice damage per hit. Working on weapons in the same way Master's Touch works with regard to target and duration.

And so on, increasing to 1dX for each higher tier.

In fact, it could work in the same way as Guild Augment Crystals adding elemental damage to weapons, without needing to buy a weapon with a guild augment slot in it.

Grenada
03-22-2011, 08:30 PM
If your willing to be a drow, you get automatic weapon proficiency with rapiers. I know in PnP the elf got proficiency with longsword, but I'm not sure if it's the same in DDO. If it is, and you can handle the constitution hit for either race, they are a viable way to get sword proficiency without giving up a feat.

Talias006
03-23-2011, 05:30 PM
If your willing to be a drow, you get automatic weapon proficiency with rapiers. I know in PnP the elf got proficiency with longsword, but I'm not sure if it's the same in DDO. If it is, and you can handle the constitution hit for either race, they are a viable way to get sword proficiency without giving up a feat.

DDO Elves get free proficiency with Longsword, Shortsword, Longbow, and Shortbow.

bccorrupt817
03-24-2011, 12:52 AM
Give us a D&D Warlock, problem solved. Would have +15 BAB(+3 per 4 lvls), 6 hp per lvl up(same as a bard) and a mix of damage spellcasting, buffs, and melee as opposed to a bard's crowd control, buffs, and melee. This would probably be the only thing that would make me question my bard love...

Zachski
03-25-2011, 03:19 AM
I'd be all for a "Battlemage PrE." Dragon Disciple for Sorcerer/Bard might make a good unarmed one (since they become sorta half dragon)

That being said, I really doubt they'd make one. For one thing, there just isn't enough demand. For another, wizards can be pretty keen at meleeing anyways, especially Warforged who go "Combat Medic" on all the enemies. In fact, IIRC, a wizard in PnP could do a far better job of melee fighting than the Fighter could ever hope to accomplish, simply due to all the spells that wizards can use to boost their melee ability and reduce their opponents' EVERYTHING ability.

Talias006
03-25-2011, 06:34 AM
Give us a D&D Warlock, problem solved. Would have +15 BAB(+3 per 4 lvls), 6 hp per lvl up(same as a bard) and a mix of damage spellcasting, buffs, and melee as opposed to a bard's crowd control, buffs, and melee. This would probably be the only thing that would make me question my bard love...

^
This... would be awesome.

And to Zachski, a PnP Wizard has a few things a DDO Wizard doesn't. Namely turn based strategic combat, as well as access to all the cool spells Wizards can use. DDO, to be frank, just doesn't have the options out there for a true highly tank- or dps-worthy melee arcane.

If they introduced Warlocks (after Druid and finishing current class PrE's) this would go a long ways to addressing some players want/need to play a heavy melee based arcane. Kind of like if they would introduce Bladesinger as a general arcane PrE line-up with prereq's of some kind of martial training.

Noctus
03-25-2011, 02:08 PM
Swordmage would be great because then i could cast spells, wield a sword, and still get all the nifty bonuses that come with sticking with one class only.

*cough* Warchanter *cough, cough*

0xxxanarchyxxx0
06-18-2011, 12:27 PM
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=324472 Take a look at this build if you're interested in a spellsword that can actually do some damage with swords, plus kick ass with firewall and self-healing AND buffs!! =D