PDA

View Full Version : Greataxe feat vs multiclass fighter as a cleric.

BigBadBuro
03-19-2011, 06:50 PM
I started a cleric and the advice I got was to check the forums for the 1/19 cleric build at:
http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=2847871&postcount=75

I am strictly following this build, I am currently level 10. And so far it's been going great but it's frustrating to always get my spells 1 level later.

So I was thinking, If I reroll and simply take a Greataxe feat as pure cleric, start with 16 STR and 16 WIS, won't it be as same as 1 level fighter?

As I understand the following will happen:
1. I will only be able to use greataxes which will gimp my weapon choices
2. I will lose 1 bonus fighter feat
3. I will lose 1 more feat cause Ill have to take the weapon feat.
4. I'll lose 0.25 BAB, 12 hitpoints, 15% haste clicky, tower shields, ranged weapons, 0.5 balance

1. I can cast more and sooner, meaning new spells come sooner, more spellpoints, DC, CL, spell slots.
2. I will get my prestige feats sooner, and I will get my capstone Divine Intervention
3. I can change feats easily, but I can't change level (excluding the 1195TP option)
4. Cosmetic bonus of having 20 instead of 19/1

The worst part is that I have to level all those 10 levels again, but in the long run I expect easier time leveling. And doing them again is probably going to be a lot easier.

I'm a ViP player, but I don't plan to spend my Turbine points on reincarnations cause I have other plans for my points.

TLDR: So can you give an advice, should I start over, or should I finish this toon?

FlyingTurtle
03-19-2011, 07:27 PM
The real question is what's your before and after feat lineup.

BigBadBuro
03-19-2011, 07:43 PM
1 - Extend / Extend
1 - Toughness / Greataxe
2 - Power Attack / ------------
3 - Empower Heal / Power Attack
6 - Quicken / Empower Heal
9 - Maximize / Maximize
12 - Improved Criticals / Improved Criticals
15 - Two Handed Fighting / Two Handed Fighting
18 - Spell Penetration / Spell Penetration

As soon as I'm done soloing the content I will change my feats. I will drop THF, PA, Slashing, And I will get Greater Spell Penetration, Toughness and Quicken or Empower. Or whatever I will need on that level.

PNellesen
03-19-2011, 07:47 PM
You could try Half-Elf Cleric with Fighter Dilettante - all martial melee weapon proficiency, but you stay Pure. I've been leveling up the one in my sig, and he's been really fun to play. Good DCs on his offensive spells, good healer, and acceptable melee with Greataxes/Greatswords/Mauls/etc. If you want to be able to use bows, can also take the Silver Flame enhancement.

Arkadios
03-19-2011, 07:52 PM
1 - Extend / Extend
1 - Toughness / Greataxe
2 - Power Attack / ------------
3 - Empower Heal / Power Attack
6 - Quicken / Empower Heal
9 - Maximize / Maximize
12 - Improved Criticals / Improved Criticals
15 - Two Handed Fighting / Two Handed Fighting
18 - Spell Penetration / Spell Penetration

As soon as I'm done soloing the content I will change my feats. I will drop THF, PA, Slashing, And I will get Greater Spell Penetration, Toughness and Quicken or Empower. Or whatever I will need on that level.

I've got a 19/1(currently a 17/1)

Feats are

1 toughness
3 extend
6 empower healing
9 maximise
10 power attack
12 empower
15 quicken
18 improved critical: slashing

If i was to lose two feats it would be extend and empower, Two-handed fighting feats are useless (except on fighters/barbs which it does give an advantage vs. feats) and spell pen takes up an important feat for a cleric.
If you want to do any damage at all, do not drop PA and improved crit is so useless that the only toons i won't take it on are wizzies/sorcs.

The 20 vs. 19/1 vs 18/2 is an old debate however if you want to do some dps, 19/1 or 18/2 are your best options (seeing as the cleric capstone gives you basically nothing whereas fighter levels gives feats, fighter toughness, haste boost, more hp, proffenciency etc.) Now it becomes the 19/1 vs. the 18/2 and both have their merits, the 18/2 loses more sp, spells spell pen than the 18/2 and the 18/2 gains a feat and fighter str I.

Edit: btw i'm a Dwarf so i can utilize the dwarven axe enhancements, increased hp via con and more toughness enhances.

So choose wisely.

Hope this helps :)

BigBadBuro
03-19-2011, 08:06 PM
Ok, thanks for the advice.

One more thing, timewise, does it take 4 times longer to level from 10 to 20 than it does to level from 0 to 10? If it does than I will probably reroll, if it doesn't then I will probably continue my 19/1

jcTharin
03-19-2011, 08:16 PM
You also might want to think about monk. You still get the extra one or two feats, plus you get wisdom bonus to ac. I think you also get a bonus to wisdom (stance and/or monk enhancements) and monks get a little -10% sp cost buff for casters, I think that level 3 for monks though, I'm not sure, I don't really know my monks.

Edit* and evasion!

morticianjohn
03-19-2011, 08:27 PM
Just stick it out on this life. Don't waste the time to get your character back to lvl 10. Besides once you get lvl 6 clr spells you won't worry about getting your spells a level after since you'll have the most important ones

Arkadios
03-19-2011, 08:51 PM
Ok, thanks for the advice.

One more thing, timewise, does it take 4 times longer to level from 10 to 20 than it does to level from 0 to 10? If it does than I will probably reroll, if it doesn't then I will probably continue my 19/1

It does take longer yes, but it isn't worth re-rolling your toon to lose just 1 level to gain very little, as someone else mentioned very soon you won't mind about what level you get your spells, because it won't affect you quite as much.

wolfy42
03-19-2011, 09:16 PM
I can run a brand new (non TR'd) character from 4 to 10 in a day easy but for a new player it will probably take you much longer. Many, MANY, players have quite playing after restarting and trying to work their way back up as a character that is almost the same as the last one they had.

So I suggest you stick with what you have. A fighter level doesn't just give you weapons....it gives you haste boost as well and of course a bonus feat (net 2 bonus feats if you were to take greataxe as a pure cleric). As mentioned you could go H-Elf Dill but honestly you get almost nothing for your last 2 cleric levels. The only real downside to take a few pally, fighter or monk levels on your cleric is the extra time it takes to get spells early on. That won't be a problem for much longer if your already level 10.

Most of the disadvantages will be gone in 2 more levels (when you get cleric lvl 11) and by cleric lvl 12 (When you can get RS II) you'll be very happy to have the fighter level I think.

At 11 (12 over all) you'll get your blade barriers....yes it's 1 level later but it's really the last time your going to feel left out because your getting a spell 1 level later. It does blow to not get RS II till lvl 13....but it's also not a big deal....and having the fighter level is going to really add alot to your solo ability.

One other point is that by level 10 you should be fairly close to reaching 1000 favor....which lets you start a character from level 4 instead of 1. If your going to make a significant change to your character so you don't feel like your doing the exact thing over again....it might be worth it to reroll after you hit 1000 favor.

You also haven't mentioned your race. This can make a fairly decent difference as well.
At low levels H-orcs can add quite a lot to melee damage (gets compensated for to some degree late game with divine might), dwarves are also fairly good with great axes. Both get a larger bonus from multiclassing since they probably won't reach the natural 20 cha they need for the highest tier of divine might anyway.

I'd suggest if nothing else just putting this character on a backburner and trying a totally different type of character instead for awhile. That will keep your interest up better.....and then later if you really want to reroll it won't feel like your trudging through the same quests with the same character again anymore.

Kmnh
03-19-2011, 09:34 PM
There is the missing option of using the greataxe and taking the penalty. Carry an improved destruction stick for when the -4 hurts. A few master's touch cakes might help, too

Noctus
03-19-2011, 09:37 PM
Not worth rerolling over this.

P.S.
Kick Two Handed Fighting Feat. Not worth the cost on a WIS-based Battlecleric.

P.P.S.
The fighter splash eases leveling, not makes it harder!

BigBadBuro
03-19-2011, 10:14 PM
Thanks guys, I guess I am going to stick to this guy after all, get 32 points with him and see if I will want to reroll then.