PDA

View Full Version : Which race

somenewnoob
03-18-2011, 02:39 PM
Planning on going VIP soon (got delayed 10 days since CC is back!) and was going to start a few new toons in the near future.

Pure barbarian..........was thinking WF or Half-Orc for this one?

18 wiz/2 rogue..........WF for self healing?

Pure Cleric.........drow maybe?

Are those solid choices or are there other races that are considered best for certain classes?

KillEveryone
03-18-2011, 02:46 PM
For the cleric...why do you like drow? As far as I know, the SR from drow doesn't stack with the spell you can cast and I don't see any other reason to go drow.

I, personally, don't see drow as a good race for very much, mostly if you don't yet have a 32 pt build.

Barbarian, both you listed are good choices. Same goes for wiz.

EKKM
03-18-2011, 02:47 PM
Planning on going VIP soon (got delayed 10 days since CC is back!) and was going to start a few new toons in the near future.

Pure barbarian..........was thinking WF or Half-Orc for this one?Both good options, WF are more durable, HO do more DPS

18 wiz/2 rogue..........WF for self healing? Also good, drow or human are also a viable option as they will provide more skill points but WF is probably the best.

Pure Cleric.........drow maybe? I prefer human because you can get 32 points with them and the "cheap" drow attributes dont really help a cleric (unless you go with a really high CHR). Drow isn't horrible though.

Are those solid choices or are there other races that are considered best for certain classes?

In red above

nolaureltree000
03-18-2011, 02:48 PM
barbarian, either H-Orc or WF. H-Orc will do more DPS, but WF has some nice immunities and can be healed by both arcane and divine casters. depends on your preference and what you want to do with your build.

wiz/rogue, WF is nice for the self healing. but splashing the rogue levels will lower your spell DC's so if that is a priority going drow would help raise your DC's a bit. going drow will make you noticeably more squishy and will lower youre ability to self heal. im not sure about this as ive never tried a rogue splash on a wiz, but with the rogue splash you may be able to get your UMD high enough to access healing scrolls and wands. if that is the case, take the wizard wand and scroll mastery line of enhancements and your drow should be able to self heal decently well.

i dont know much about clerics, but i hear good things about dwarven clerics. human is always nice for the extra feat if you find yourself feat-starved.

Impatiens
03-18-2011, 02:51 PM
Horc or WF are both solid options for a barbarian. Horc are, as far as I know, the best dps, but WF have a lot going for them as well so just choose whichever you like better.

WF are a great option for a wiz/rogue because of the self healing. Drow are also a solid option for Wizards because of their ability to get 20 int. You would have to rely on pots and UMD for self healing this way though.

I'd probably go with human over drow for a cleric, but a drow is not a bad option.

KillEveryone
03-18-2011, 09:36 PM
WF are a great option for a wiz/rogue because of the self healing. Drow are also a solid option for Wizards because of their ability to get 20 int. You would have to rely on pots and UMD for self healing this way though.

I really wouldn't consider being able to start with a 20 INT as a solid reason to go drow. To really decide on this the OP really should ask what content do they really want to run.

Drow can get the highest possible INT but it will be an odd number. That modifier won't be any different than a human with a INT one point lower than a drow. There is no difference in a 41 INT and a 40 INT. The drow does have a little more flexibility in that they don't need all the same stuff that a human needs to attain that INT modifier.

If you plan on running ToD and Epics and plan on grinding out a +4 INT tome, epic INT stat, exceptional INT stat, human is a better option because you can start with a higher CON and you will have access to healing amp as well as an extra feat...this is actually better on a TR because you can much more easily fit in that wiz past life feat. Drow only needs a combination of 2 things...+4 tome, +7 epic stat, +3 exceptional stat modifier...but a human needs all three in order to get the highest possible INT modifier.

I know the OP is new but I look at character development in that you need a good solid foundation in order to have a well built character at cap.

WF will be solid. If you are going for a 18/2 then you won't get the capstone which is actually a really good one. That evasion from rogue is very tasty so it is also hard to pass up. Technically, you will be down only 1 on your DC compared to a pure WF wiz, but you will also be down 2 DC compared to a human or drow pure wiz...only 1 compared to either of those races with 2 lvl rogue splash...since those two races can get a higher INT compared to other races. If you are just going rogue for traps, you can get hirelings to do that work for you but if you are wanting evasion, well I do understand because that really is very tasty to have. Getting that UMD on a fleshie is much easier on a wiz with a rogue splash, but much harder on a pure wiz.

WF will still be solid. There is an evocation build that uses force and as a WF, that force line is also what helps heal you. I haven't yet rolled up one yet but I have been wanting to roll one up to play because it does seem like a lot of fun. I have a few too many aults and would really like to have a few more capped before I roll up another character.

Impatiens
03-18-2011, 10:13 PM
I really wouldn't consider being able to start with a 20 INT as a solid reason to go drow. To really decide on this the OP really should ask what content do they really want to run.

Drow can get the highest possible INT but it will be an odd number. That modifier won't be any different than a human with a INT one point lower than a drow. There is no difference in a 41 INT and a 40 INT. The drow does have a little more flexibility in that they don't need all the same stuff that a human needs to attain that INT modifier.

The fact that a Drow can more easily get the highest possible int modifier seems like a solid enough reason to me to make one, especially as a newer player. Human are also a good option, yes, but telling a new player that human is a better option because they can have basically the same int by grinding out a +4 tome, +7 int item, and +3 exceptional int is a little...unrealistic.

I obviously agree that WF is a great option for a Wiz/rog and said as much in my post. I was just offering Drow as another possibility since their starting int is really a rather nice feature.

PurdueDave
03-18-2011, 11:31 PM
For the cleric...why do you like drow? As far as I know, the SR from drow doesn't stack with the spell you can cast and I don't see any other reason to go drow.

I, personally, don't see drow as a good race for very much, mostly if you don't yet have a 32 pt build.

Barbarian, both you listed are good choices. Same goes for wiz.

A drow case can be made for easy DM and rapier.

FlyingTurtle
03-19-2011, 12:21 AM
A drow case can be made for easy DM and rapier.

Tried that once. After some optimization, it turned out to be a cookie cutter TWF Paladin.

Ttip
03-19-2011, 04:13 AM
Barbarian = Human or Warforged are excellent. Extra feats vs. extra immunities...never tried a Horc but the extra damage and insane rageability make a good combo.

Cleric = Dwarf, hands-down. (personal preference of course) humans would also be good, I would only attempt Drow if you didnt have 32 point unlocked.

KillEveryone
03-19-2011, 09:14 AM
The fact that a Drow can more easily get the highest possible int modifier seems like a solid enough reason to me to make one, especially as a newer player. Human are also a good option, yes, but telling a new player that human is a better option because they can have basically the same int by grinding out a +4 tome, +7 int item, and +3 exceptional int is a little...unrealistic.

I obviously agree that WF is a great option for a Wiz/rog and said as much in my post. I was just offering Drow as another possibility since their starting int is really a rather nice feature.

When I started playing, I wanted to know everything possible and knew I wanted to do end game stuff so I searched out all the info I could find on what I was interested in. I feel I'd be doing a disservice if I left out any possible info which is why I listed out what you would need with drow and also stated that the OP should ask themselves what they really want.

Some of that stuff is going to be a grind but it isn't impossible, just a grind. The exceptional isn't too much because you can get a Shroud weapon with exceptional until you get a ToD ring. The epic INT and +4 INT tome are more of a grind unless you get lucky.

somenewnoob
03-21-2011, 11:16 AM
Thanks for all the feedback everybody. Much appreciated!