PDA

View Full Version : CkLnAuScSkFlOeRhUeMaSd

andreascott89
03-16-2011, 12:10 PM
I apologize for the title, but this is how I feel when reading the class forums. The class forums are all garbled now with all sorts of extraneous information. I like browsing the FvS forums, but now all I see is a hodge podge of posts. Some have tags, many do not. Even the tags themselves contribute to clutter and confusion.

I am beyond the blame game, and I just want a solution.

Can we just turn out the lights for a few minutes and let the knucklehead that changed the class forums put them back!

Many Thanks,

J

NeutronStar
03-16-2011, 12:11 PM
Yes

Irinis
03-16-2011, 12:20 PM
/signed but it's pretty obvious the decision was NOT made to help make the forums easier to navigate for us, the customers. So I really don't expect them to put it back or to add subforums that make sense. :(

stille_nacht
03-16-2011, 12:24 PM
what confuses me the most is why they changed it in the first place? less buttons doesnt help when you simply throw together much more extraneous information...

Khanyth
03-16-2011, 12:29 PM

Turbine will give you the solution: Time.

See: contrary to popular opinion, Turbine aren't the morons that people like to portrait them as. They realize that for every forum account they have, they have 5, 10, 15, 25X more player accounts who play the game.

So, Turbine makes the forums change arund the same time as PAX where they release news about the new update. So while the "outrage" over the forum changes goes bang up, Turbine releases news about the new update and that goes off with an exponetially larger goes off with a colossal bangabangbang. The Dramallamadingdong/ "Change is Bad" crowd, desiring something new, will go see what is there and what can be complained about. And then they will focus on the new update.

Meanwhile, everyone forgets about the forum realignment/reorganization/rewhateveryouwanttocallit. Maybe forget is the wrong word, but people realize that an update to the actual game, is a much much much much bigger deal than changes made to the forums about the game. Then people sorta say that the forum change really wasn't that big of a deal than say, the new update that came out.

The "outrage" is forgotten. People have moved on. People have accepted or at least tollerated the new forum change. It might be revisited once a month, like those threads asking for druids, gnomes, fixes, WAI/Exploit? debates, PrE's,GS deconstruction, Dungeon alert, lag, grind..... etc etc etc.

But what we have is what we'll have for a while. And in a few years, when Turbine changes this version of the forums, people will do the same thing and pine for this version of the forums.

The sun comes out tommorow and we find a new "problem" that needs to be "fixed" and oblahdi-oblahdah-life'll-go-on.

EDIT: I'm not picking fights or slagging anyone by the way. It's just my opinion.

Impaqt
03-16-2011, 12:31 PM
Use the Prefix tags.

andreascott89
03-16-2011, 12:31 PM
negative rep for being very unhappy at having to wade through unnecessary information?

That cut me real deep Shrek!

J

grodon9999
03-16-2011, 12:32 PM

See: contrary to popular opinion, Turbine aren't the morons that people like to portrait them as. They realize that for every forum account they have, they have 5, 10, 15, 25X more player accounts who play the game.

So, Turbine makes the forums change arund the same time as PAX where they release news about the new update. So while the "outrage" over the forum changes goes bang up, Turbine releases news about the new update and that goes off with an exponetially larger goes off with a colossal bangabangbang. The Dramallamadingdong/ "Change is Bad" crowd, desiring something new, will go see what is there and what can be complained about. And then they will focus on the new update.

Meanwhile, everyone forgets about the forum realignment/reorganization/rewhateveryouwanttocallit. Maybe forget is the wrong word, but people realize that an update to the actual game, is a much much much much bigger deal than changes made to the forums about the game. Then people sorta say that the forum change really wasn't that big of a deal than say, the new update that came out.

The "outrage" is forgotten. People have moved on. People have accepted or at least tollerated the new forum change. It might be revisited once a month, like those threads asking for druids, gnomes, fixes, WAI/Exploit? debates, PrE's,GS deconstruction, Dungeon alert, lag, grind..... etc etc etc.

But what we have is what we'll have for a while. And in a few years, when Turbine changes this version of the forums, people will do the same thing and pine for this version of the forums.

The sun comes out tommorow and we find a new "problem" that needs to be "fixed" and oblahdi-oblahdah-life'll-go-on.

EDIT: I'm not picking fights or slagging anyone by the way. It's just my opinion.

There isn't enough time in all eternity to make this forums change make any sense.

Khanyth
03-16-2011, 12:34 PM
There isn't enough time in all eternity to make this forums change make any sense.

Who said anything about making sense?

All I said was it'll take time and people will accept the change and move on to another topic.

I never said the changes made sense. I said that time will give acceptance.

andreascott89
03-16-2011, 12:38 PM
Use the Prefix tags.

This might be a partial solution, but maybe I am missing it. Is there a way to filter a forum to only show posts with a particular prefix tag?

It loses all the past information that isn't tagged, and it likely misses a lot of new information that will not be tagged, but hey something is better than nothing.

How can I filter on prefix tags?

J

PS I don't think time will completely fix this. Yes I will get better at skimming forums, but fundamentally, this is a much worse organization structure. If I filter out things not tagged, then I am missing those posts. If I don't filter, then I am more apt to waste my time. The new system is fundamentally flawed and time will make it better, but not fix it imo.

Quikster
03-16-2011, 12:42 PM
Dont like it at all. I stay out of the class forums now unless something catches my eye on the front page or new posts page.

Impaqt
03-16-2011, 12:44 PM
Go to the forum, go to the bottom of the page. Select the prefix filter you want.

Or just install the Javascript that does it automatically..
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=306850&highlight=javascript

The new layout is actually quite a bit more flexible than the old one. allows for much more customization as well.

Irinis
03-16-2011, 02:54 PM
Go to the forum, go to the bottom of the page. Select the prefix filter you want.

The new layout is actually quite a bit more flexible than the old one. allows for much more customization as well.

Which would be great if all the older threads that had useful info in them had been automatically tagged with the new structure so it would have acted almost like subforums. Except wait, that would make too much sense.

Impaqt
03-16-2011, 10:13 PM
Which would be great if all the older threads that had useful info in them had been automatically tagged with the new structure so it would have acted almost like subforums. Except wait, that would make too much sense.

all the old posts do indeed appear auto tagged in the conversion actually....

TEcarson
03-16-2011, 10:16 PM
negative rep for being very unhappy at having to wade through unnecessary information?

That cut me real deep Shrek!

J

+1 to make up for it. (I'll prolly get negged...lol)

NXPlasmid
03-17-2011, 12:07 PM
I apologize for the title, but this is how I feel when reading the class forums. The class forums are all garbled now with all sorts of extraneous information. I like browsing the FvS forums, but now all I see is a hodge podge of posts. Some have tags, many do not. Even the tags themselves contribute to clutter and confusion.

Can we just turn out the lights for a few minutes and let the knucklehead that changed the class forums put them back!

Many Thanks,

J

oh man, you are in BIG trouble. But besides that, I AGREE. The new class forum merger is a DISASTER. The true definition of ClusterF)*&

NXPlasmid
03-17-2011, 12:09 PM

Ow! head hurt.. too many words...

hityawithastick
03-17-2011, 12:09 PM
Hey, at least all those rogue 2/monk 6/ranger 12 arcane archer builds are finally able to have their own class forum. :D

stainer
03-17-2011, 12:16 PM
They did a study and this is how we (the players) want the class forums. It is our fault. They did a study. Polling. You know, a questionnaire. Survey says - Put this classes in a big pile!

Four20
03-17-2011, 12:26 PM
I have to assume this was done for SEO reasons. Maybe it was not the best way to do it(maybe no-follow tags would have been better), but even I can realize that this was done for a reason.

NXPlasmid
03-17-2011, 12:28 PM
They did a study and this is how we (the players) want the class forums. It is our fault. They did a study. Polling. You know, a questionnaire. Survey says - Put this classes in a big pile!

I hate to say it but yer wrong! actually.. that was fun! yer wrong! yer wrong! yer wrong! yer wrong! yer wrong! yer wrong! yer wrong! yer wrong! yer wrong! yer wrong! yer wrong! yer wrong! yer wrong! yer wrong! yer wrong! yer wrong! yer wrong! yer wrong! yer wrong! yer wrong! yer wrong! yer wrong! yer wrong! yer wrong! Woot!

The real reason was all of the posts in the suggestion forums by the players to mash all the class forums together, see there was a huge uprising by the player base against the totalitarian separate class forum regime. There were huge posts about it every day for weeks and months and years, finally Turbine gave in, and gave in to the players demands. Democracy at its finest!

Incidently my Liege, that is how we know the earth to be banana-shaped. T

Fegof
03-17-2011, 12:40 PM

I am apparently a big dummy and didn't realize you could do this. I no longer care about the forum change. Thanks!

DrunkenBuddha
03-17-2011, 12:43 PM

He's right. I used to work closely with various corporate PR and media managament organizations. Truth is, most people's attention span is limited. If you are going to introduce something potentially negative, let it simmer for just a wee tiny bit and follow it by something that will garner significant positive reaction.

The positive will rapidly overcome the negative and focus will shift. Net gain will be positive. In fact, attempts to return to the negative component will nearly always be met with hostility, since it is a shift from the positive. Most people want positive warm yummy feelings. Simple psychology really.

Although it is only slightly similar, it reminds me of that scene in Finding Nemo where Marlin distracts Dorie from her insistence on swimming through the trench as opposed to over it by saying "Hey, look at that shiny thing over there!" Trench is thus forgotten and jellyfish ensue.

Forums: "Forum change is horrible!" "Bards and Rangers lumped together is the first sign of the Apocalypse!"

Turbine: "Hey PAX is here. Look at this FVS stuff. What could it mean?! I know we said we were going to have sorc prestige classes, but I'm not even gonna mention anything about that right now, maybe later if you're good! Oh, before I go, DECONSTRUCT!"

Forums: "Huh? Deconstruct! What's that mean? Seems awesome! FVS is going to rock everything now, clerics are useless!"

Turbine: "Oh yeah, CC is back! Holla!"

Forums: "Yes, now I can have add yet another 300 epic itmes!"

Angry forumite: "Dude why hasn't Turbine fixed the forums yet! Also, it looks like sorc prestige classes may not actually be that good?"

Forums: "Shuddup man! Didn't you hear CC is back! Go roll a FVS they are going to rock! You know nothing about sorcs since they haven't told us anything! Stop speculating when you have nothing to speculate with! /neg rep angry forumite/"

We are teh Dorie.

NXPlasmid
03-17-2011, 02:59 PM
I am apparently a big dummy and didn't realize you could do this. I no longer care about the forum change. Thanks!

Oh yeah it's totally awesome. They got rid of all the useless threads, so now the entirety of the monk forum, the tagged threads, fits on 2 pages.... nice job Turbine. Oh and FAIL. T

Zachski
03-17-2011, 09:45 PM
So they basically destroyed the community and culture of each board by doing this.

A new community and culture will form, no doubt, but the old ones had nothing wrong with them. Not to mention that divines and arcanes have little to do with each other other than an SP pool.

Lorien_the_First_One
03-17-2011, 09:49 PM
what confuses me the most is why they changed it in the first place? less buttons doesnt help when you simply throw together much more extraneous information...

Let me help you with that...

Each forum contains an ad that Turbine is paid for.

You get paid more for 1 ad space with 100,000 views than 10 with 20,000 views.

Even if the forums are now used less, the hope is they generate more ad revenue for Turbine.

Auran82
03-17-2011, 09:50 PM
To explain the reasoning behind the forum change would take more time than you or I have in our lifetimes.

Instead, this is something much more exciting.

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii69/auran82/lobster_knife_fight.jpg

Chai
03-17-2011, 09:56 PM
[QUOTE=Auran82;3657040]To explain the reasoning behind the forum change would take more time than you or I have in our lifetimes.

Naaaaa. This about sums it up. Ima just put this riiiiight....here.

http://www.tspcentral.com/PlrInABox/YourOnlineMoneyFactory-MRR.jpg