PDA

View Full Version : Change Fvs Lord of the Blades Capstone

Aegnore
03-16-2011, 09:16 AM
It would be nice if WF Fvs get something more than a shield spell.. Like a Burst AoE damage.. or +X to our attack for a short period of time would be really awesome...

Coz Right now its just like a NightShield -_- with some minor changes

Please Pretty Please! :D

Gorbadoc
03-16-2011, 12:24 PM
Yeah, I always thought the Lord of Blades at-will spell sounded unhelpful.

Shield: It's (largely) redundant with Nightshield. Being able to spam it accomplishes nothing. Its benefit is (basically) a permanent +4 AC, but Lord of Blades FvS lends itself to a DR-focused build rather than an AC build.

Contrast against:

Searing Light: Worth spamming if you have nothing better to do.

Cure Light Wounds: Worth spamming.

Command Undead: If it's worth using at all, then it's worth using every fight. Adds a tiny shred of versatility to the class.

Invisibility: Worth using between every fight. Also, situationally powerful if you don't have a bard/wiz/sorc on hand.

Notice the pattern? Small but real benefits. I wouldn't ask for much from the Lord of Blades Capstone. After all, Lord of Blades is already a powerful faith. I'd still like to see a slightly flashier at-will spell, though.

Calebro
03-16-2011, 12:51 PM
Thematically it's quite appropriate.
In practice it's quite useless.

fuzzy1guy
03-16-2011, 12:54 PM
Always thought the 'lord of the blades'

Should have some sort of boost to blade barrier.

its... fitting.

Or perhaps being able to summon up one of those wandering blades you see in amrath/shroud.

chrisgina39
03-16-2011, 01:27 PM
haste?:D

voodoogroves
03-16-2011, 01:34 PM
Divine Favor would work but then you'd have too many level 1 spells. Heck Shield wouldn't be horrible if you could swap out Nightshield for something useful since you're likely wearing a resist+5 anyway ... but you are basically lighting 1st level spells on fire.

WangoFett
03-16-2011, 04:51 PM
Or perhaps being able to summon up one of those wandering blades you see in amrath/shroud.

Yeeessssss!

Aegnore
03-16-2011, 05:00 PM
Always thought the 'lord of the blades'

Should have some sort of boost to blade barrier.

its... fitting.

haha that would be wicked!

Farayon
03-16-2011, 05:00 PM
/signed

fuzzy1guy
03-17-2011, 04:43 AM
Capstone: Summon whirling blades. 1 minute duration. 5 minute cooldown. Does not count as a 'summon'.

Blades will seek out the nearest enemy and attempt to chop it into little isty bitsy pieces. And will then seek out the next closest target.
Deals 5d6+20 tick in slashing damage. Additional +1 force damage on crits.

2x Vurnable to bludgon damage and acid.
Immune to fire and cold and electric.
Half damage from piercing.
Normal damage from slashing, force and untyped damage.
Somewhere around oh... 350-400hp on the thing.

I like it. Way cooler than a shield clicky at lvl 20.

Letrii
03-17-2011, 04:55 AM
Repair light wounds

Aegnore
03-17-2011, 08:07 AM
Repair light wounds

i can also settle with this =)

Lithic
03-17-2011, 08:14 AM
The lord of blades has a crappy capstone because they have other advantages. For one thing, they have the best weapon options (especially since they don't need the 2wf feats for it), as well as DR from lvl 20 that stacks with their armor and enhancements. But really, the only better capstones are the searing light (which is way less damage than the melee potential of the better weapons) or the CLW. WF really don`t need to have the best capstone with all their other FvS advantages.

voodoogroves
03-17-2011, 09:31 AM
Honestly, my Tukaw still uses Shield and not Nightshield. I have resistance +5 somewhere else, so the save boost is meaningless.

FuzzyDuck81
03-17-2011, 09:42 AM
Repair light wounds

/signed

would fit well for a WF FvS.. even better if it could be used at the same time as bladesworn transformation :)

Paleus
03-17-2011, 09:44 AM
There is a noticeable difference in how often you cast the capstone spells when comparing a Sovereign Host vs Lord of the Blades Build. You can easily see someone spamming the clw spell but only once at the start and after shrining using the shield spell. I also think with the new prestige the searing light capstone will certainly get a boost to something you'd spam anyways if you have nothing else to do as noted.

Of these spells listed, two are level one and one is a level three spell. Therefore, I think the options for what spells to consider replacing the Lord of the Blades capstone can be expanded to include spell levels higher than one.

Options: Divine Favor, Prayer, and Recitation. Divine Favor is a good self-cast spell most WF FVS are probably spamming anyway. Prayer is both a party buff and a mob de-buff. Combined with the other debuffs from the prestige enhancement you can start viewing FVS as debuffers a little bit more. Recitation is more of a strictly party buff that adds on offense and AC, but somewhat overlaps with prayer on the offensive side.

Of these, recitation is the highest level spell at level 4, but all three are short-duration casts. The FVS is probably already casting at least some of them, so this is mostly just a spell-points savings change and FVS already have lots of spell points. So while I don't see any choice as overpowered, I do see them as a capstone ability that would get used more often and have a noticeable value to the party or self. Thematically, they all fit into a melee-offensive focused enhancement line like the Lord of the Blades.

Dendrix
03-17-2011, 09:53 AM
The Lord of Blades capstone spell, Shield is totally and utterly useless. I too wish it to be replaced by something else. something that would be worth casting more than once evey 20 minuites.

Heronous
03-17-2011, 09:58 AM
The Lord of Blades capstone spell, Shield is totally and utterly useless. I too wish it to be replaced by something else. something that would be worth casting more than once evey 20 minuites.

Not totally and utterly useless! 10% less glancing blow damage is huge! :O

FuzzyDuck81
03-17-2011, 09:58 AM
Of these spells listed, two are level one and one is a level three spell. Therefore, I think the options for what spells to consider replacing the Lord of the Blades capstone can be expanded to include spell levels higher than one.

On this basis.. i'd like to suggest divine power :D

Aegnore
03-17-2011, 12:10 PM
Repair Light Wounds seems nice rather than a shield.... It can help healing some of the WF bretheren when sp starts to go down (rarely)

Kokanee
03-17-2011, 12:24 PM
Shield is a shame as a capstone spell.
Either:

Repair Light Wounds
or
Divine Power

Would rock!

WangoFett
03-17-2011, 03:36 PM
Seriously how did we get off the whirling blades idea?

How about; on critical hits there is a chance that whirling blades spawn upon the target and lay some righteous DoT upon it, but only if it is fleshy (if the lord of blades hates fleshies so much then this seems fitting).

Or... mass shield?

NeutronStar
03-17-2011, 03:40 PM
Lord of the Blades

No

Lord of Blades

Yes

Darkrok
03-17-2011, 03:44 PM
Divine Favor would be a fair, balanced, and useful alternative.

unbongwah
03-17-2011, 04:23 PM
No offense, guys, but I think drow FvS need some love way more than WF FvS do. As it is, the lousy LoB capstone spell is pretty much the only downside to being WF FvS. Whereas drow: short swords, a weaksauce scorrow summon, and Invisibility? Gee, thanks, Turbine...really...:rolleyes:

Scraap
03-17-2011, 04:27 PM
Given the new zot on your shoulder for the new pre, could also be interesting to see a +10 intimidate tossed in, for the timmy minded there, if they really wanted to underscore the dr 10 bit.

voodoogroves
03-17-2011, 05:07 PM
Divine Favor would be a fair, balanced, and useful alternative.
... but is functionally the same as Shield.

- Shield means you don't take Nightshield, giving you a 1st level spot (once you get resistance +5 items Nightshield is no more useful than Shield).
- Divine Favor means you don't take Divine Favor, giving you a 1st level spot.

No offense, guys, but I think drow FvS need some love way more than WF FvS do. As it is, the lousy LoB capstone spell is pretty much the only downside to being WF FvS. Whereas drow: short swords, a weaksauce scorrow summon, and Invisibility? Gee, thanks, Turbine...really...:rolleyes:

Invisibility is a very handy spell to be able to quicken. Shortswords suck.

Now if the capstone also included some sneak damage or improved crit w/ shortswords, etc. ... then we could talk.

Battlehawke
03-17-2011, 05:09 PM
Agreed,

It's almost useless curently. Make it so that you can get healed while in Bladesworn, or allow unlimited use of it.... that would be great..

thanks

Aegnore
03-18-2011, 05:14 AM

Invis is actually useful in some quests.. and it is way more used/clicked than shield =P

so for the FvS capstone its either divine favor, repair light, short burst of damage or hit and of course that suggestion of whirling blades. :D

voodoogroves
03-18-2011, 08:52 AM
Agreed,

It's almost useless curently. Make it so that you can get healed while in Bladesworn, or allow unlimited use of it.... that would be great..

thanks

This kind of thing I like better. Quicker recharge on Bladesworn or boost to Bladesworn.