PDA

View Full Version : targeting potions

Raiar
03-14-2011, 08:14 PM
When an item (cure light wounds potion, for instance) says "Target: Friend, Self", how do you make it target a friend? I tried the other day selecting another member of my party and then using a potion, but it treated it as drinking the potion myself. I was trying to heal my teammate.

Philibusta
03-14-2011, 08:20 PM
Potions that are usable on Friends are intended to be used on Incapacitated party members i.e. pouring a cure potion down a comrade's throat to get them up and on their feet again.

IIRC, to do this you also need ranks in Heal skill. I may be mistaken on that point though.

Raiar
03-14-2011, 08:26 PM
I've also used the Heal skill, but that uses Healers Kits, not Cure Light Wounds potions. The former is for reviving incapacitated characters while the later is for recovering a few hit points.

tgun
03-14-2011, 08:28 PM
You dont need the heal skill or any other skill.

To use a potion on another party member you just need to put the potion on your hotbar, target the intended target, click the potion in your hotbar. Thats all.

Philibusta
03-14-2011, 08:29 PM
You're misunderstanding. If one of your party members is Incapacitated, you can use a cure potion to revive them. This does NOT work unless they ARE incapacitated.

I know how the Heal skill works lol. I'm just unlear as to whether you need ranks in Heal to use potions in the way described above. But to use a potion on a friend, they definitely need to be unconsious and incapacitated.

Raiar
03-14-2011, 08:35 PM
So Cure Light Wounds has a completely different effect on a teammate than it has when used on yourself? When used on myself (which is the only way I've gotten it to work so far) a Cure Light Wounds potion will raise my HP bar a little, from whatever point it started at. I tend to use them when I get down to about 50% health.

Philibusta
03-14-2011, 08:42 PM
ok let me paint you a picture....

Youre in a dungeon. The party member next to you goes down fighting. He's incapacitated....below 0 HP but not yet at -10 (when death occurs). He's at like -6. So you target him, and use the cure potion from your hotbar on him, like tgun said.

IF the effect of the potion brings him back above 0 HP, he stands back up (albeit with probably very few HP) and can move around and do things on his own again.

This will not work if the person you want to target is already on their feet. They have to be Incapacitated for it to work.

Raiar
03-14-2011, 08:48 PM
If heal is only for incapacitated characters and potions (for teammates) are only for incapacitated characters, is there no way in this game to heal a teammate who's down to 10% HP? That seems really weird.

Trench
03-14-2011, 08:54 PM
That is awesome to know that you can revive incap teammates with pots. Also curse pots can be used on teammates and pets.

tgun
03-14-2011, 08:57 PM
Raiar let me clear this up for you. SOME potions can be used on others. Some examples of these are remove curse, remove disease and a few others. Others like cure pots can not. What you are reading when it says 'target: friend, self' is a description of the spell copypasted over to the potion. Under that is a description of the potion. This is where it will say whether or not it has a funnel attached. If it has a funnel then you can use it on others. If no funnel then only yourself gets benefit of the potion. IT doesnt matter whether your party member is incapacitated or not and it doesnt matter whether you have a certian skill or not.

tgun
03-14-2011, 09:01 PM
If heal is only for incapacitated characters and potions (for teammates) are only for incapacitated characters, is there no way in this game to heal a teammate who's down to 10% HP? That seems really weird.

There's a few ways but not all of them are available to all classes. Some classes can use wands or spells to heal others. OR you can tell him to drink his own pots.

TEcarson
03-14-2011, 09:01 PM
I have used remove curse pots on party members before. But I have found that RC pots bought from the guild vendor (and therefore BtC) will not work on party members...just on myself.

tgun
03-14-2011, 09:07 PM
I have used remove curse pots on party members before. But I have found that RC pots bought from the guild vendor (and therefore BtC) will not work on party members...just on myself.

i use my remove curse guild pots on party members in VOD all the time.

Brennie
03-14-2011, 09:13 PM

Spells (http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Spell:Cure_Light_Wounds), Scrolls (http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Item:Scroll_of_Cure_Light_Wounds), and Wands (http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Item:Wand_of_Cure_Light_Wounds) of appropriate type all can heal teammates. Some Feats (http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Feat:Least_Dragonmark_of_Healing), Enhancements (http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Enhancement:Radiant_Servant:_Positive_Energy_Aura) and Class Abilities (http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Feat:Path_of_Harmonious_Balance:_Fists_of_Light) also have the ability to restore hitpoints to injured group members.

Falco_Easts
03-14-2011, 09:40 PM
You're misunderstanding. If one of your party members is Incapacitated, you can use a cure potion to revive them. This does NOT work unless they ARE incapacitated.

When did this change? You never used to be able to use cure pots on other people, incapped or not.

OP, there are many ways to help an incapped party member without using spells.

If a class can access a spell, they can use that wand with no check. Even if not high enough level to cast the spell themselves. For example, just one level of Cleric, Favoured Soul, Bard, Ranger or Paladin will give you access to any cure wand in the game providing your character meets the minimum level.
Aid clickies. Those Aid clickies you got on Korthos can be used on other people.
Rage or Bear's Endurance clickies can give people enough extra HP to get them back on their feet.
UMD while not that succesful at lower levels can let characters use healing wands/scrolls to get people back up.
Healers kits. Even wtih 0 ranks in skills, you have a chance of getting this to work. A very low chance but still a chance.

There are a few more out there but I need a coffee to think of them.

TEcarson
03-15-2011, 02:18 AM
i use my remove curse guild pots on party members in VOD all the time.

Hmmm...will try again - doing a "side by side" test with guild and non-guild pots...we'll see what happens.

Cheers.

Cendaer
03-15-2011, 02:26 AM
When did this change? You never used to be able to use cure pots on other people, incapped or not.

IIRC, this change went in when they made some other potions (i.e.- Curse Removal, Poison Neutralization) targetable.

Although, tbh, I've never actually done it. Never been able to break the habit that potions are self-only. I've always used wands, scrolls, or spells on party members, and potions on myself.

Philibusta
03-15-2011, 02:56 AM
OK now I'M confused.

I'm just about positive I read somewhere that cure pots could be used on incapped party members. Dont recall the last time I actually tried it myself.

But what tgun said makes sense. And being able to just use a cure pot on an incapped party member would pretty much defeat any purpose of having the Heal skill.

If I'm wrong, sorry for the incorrect advice.

If your friend falls, yell for the medic.

Gremmlynn
03-15-2011, 03:05 AM
If heal is only for incapacitated characters and potions (for teammates) are only for incapacitated characters, is there no way in this game to heal a teammate who's down to 10% HP? That seems really weird.The quest redemption offers a cure light wounds cloak as an end reward that is usable on others. There are many other ways, but that one is probably the easiest for every player in the game to get.

Philibusta
03-15-2011, 03:12 AM
Now I know I know the right answer to this one:

YES! There is a way! They're called "Clerics". :D

Glad I could help.

simsiim
03-15-2011, 07:51 AM
I never knew that cloak also worked on others, I know I repeated the Cannith Crystal quest in Korthos Village, enough to have some extra Bracers of Assistance (http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Item:Bracers_of_Assistance)
I was also unaware that Cure pots could be used too, but so far I read that's debatable. I always thought you needed a Funnel in the description to use on a friend :confused:

Ganolyn
03-15-2011, 08:00 AM
Hmmm...will try again - doing a "side by side" test with guild and non-guild pots...we'll see what happens.

Cheers.

See if the guild ones only work on other people that are in your guild.

TEcarson
03-15-2011, 04:19 PM
See if the guild ones only work on other people that are in your guild.

That's actually what prompted me to post. Guild is just my wife and I, and we were levelling some lowbies in the spire quest in Deleras. She kept getting cursed by the mummies, and she ran out of RC pots. When I tried to hit her with one of mine, the effect hit me - even tho I had her targeted.

TEcarson
03-15-2011, 05:24 PM
Picked a random char in the marketplace. Both pots were on hotbar. Both were unlocked in inventory.

Non-guild pot - Remove curse fired at other char with spell casting animation for me. Remove curse appeared above her head.

Guild pot - Remove curse fired at me with "pot drinking" animation for me. Remove curse appeared above my head.

Raiar
03-16-2011, 05:22 PM
What you are reading when it says 'target: friend, self' is a description of the spell copypasted over to the potion. Under that is a description of the potion. This is where it will say whether or not it has a funnel attached. If it has a funnel then you can use it on others. If no funnel then only yourself gets benefit of the potion.
That copy-paste error was the source of my confusion. It doesn't list having a funnel, but I hadn't known to look for that, and had trusted the "target" line a bit too much. Thanks for letting me know what to watch for in the item descriptions.

The quest redemption offers a cure light wounds cloak as an end reward that is usable on others. There are many other ways, but that one is probably the easiest for every player in the game to get.
Oh, good. I've got that. Now I'll know to save that (at least when in a group) for when I want to heal someone else and use my pots when I want to heal myself.

Rydin_Dirtay
03-17-2011, 05:42 PM

You never used to be able to revive incapped players with your own cure pots. You had to either spell them, wand whip them up or use a Heal kit. Has this changed?

Noctus
03-17-2011, 08:21 PM
is there no way in this game to heal a teammate who's down to 10% HP? That seems really weird.

Cure Wands. (many classes can use them)

or

Cure Spells from Clerics, FvS, Bard, Ranger, Paladin (who has also Lay on Hands)

or

Repair / Reconstruct from a Sorc or Wiz for Warforged.

EKKM
03-18-2011, 07:05 AM
Potions that are usable on Friends are intended to be used on Incapacitated party members i.e. pouring a cure potion down a comrade's throat to get them up and on their feet again.

IIRC, to do this you also need ranks in Heal skill. I may be mistaken on that point though.

OK now I'M confused.

I'm just about positive I read somewhere that cure pots could be used on incapped party members. Dont recall the last time I actually tried it myself.

But what tgun said makes sense. And being able to just use a cure pot on an incapped party member would pretty much defeat any purpose of having the Heal skill.

If I'm wrong, sorry for the incorrect advice.

If your friend falls, yell for the medic.

D'oh! I even +1'ed you for the advice above because I never knew that (for good reason I guess). I decided not to offset my +1 with a -1 :D