PDA

View Full Version : Alignment question

hunh08
03-13-2011, 03:18 PM
Petty simple question - Was Chaotic Neutral a bad alignment choice? I spend a lot of time on the forums soaking in the advice, knowledge, etc., and I have never heard anyone rant about alignment choices. However, I am now in the mid levels, and it appears that weapons of Pure Good are golden. I can't use them, being neutrally-aligned, so did I blow it? Are there other weapon effect suffixes I should be looking for? I am loving my Holy Burst and Icy Burst falchions, but am always trying to improve.

Thanks...

Droconos
03-13-2011, 03:25 PM
If you have a decent UMD (20) no issue then as you can equip PG weapons. If you have 0 UMD, then you will have to source holy+silver and holy+cold iron weapons to bypass some boss DR. Fortunately you can buy an alignment respec now. That being said, neutral alignment allows for the use of items with taint of evil (litany of the dead notably) that can boost your character. I personally go with true neutral, as very few things require pure good before mid game, and at that point my UMD is generally standing in the 20s (I am a UMD junkie). But if you are not going to invest in UMD, save up for the alignment respec, will make life easier later :).

coolpenguin410
03-13-2011, 03:25 PM
Petty simple question - Was Chaotic Neutral a bad alignment choice? I spend a lot of time on the forums soaking in the advice, knowledge, etc., and I have never heard anyone rant about alignment choices. However, I am now in the mid levels, and it appears that weapons of Pure Good are golden. I can't use them, being neutrally-aligned, so did I blow it? Are there other weapon effect suffixes I should be looking for? I am loving my Holy Burst and Icy Burst falchions, but am always trying to improve.

Thanks...

Alignment hardly matters at all. If you don't have UMD, you'll want to be good aligned to use Pure Good weapons. However, even if you're not, it's not a big deal. You can always find other ways to get something similar.

hunh08
03-13-2011, 03:27 PM
Phew - Thanks for the quick replies. I haven't been investing in UMD, but am glad I haven't blown it.

Teraz
03-13-2011, 03:30 PM
Find a flame-touched weapon...they count as good. been playing 1 1/2 years and just realized this last month. :-( In my defense I usually make good aligned characters so it wasn't an issue till recently

Furbitor
03-13-2011, 03:36 PM
Ya you should been able to choose Chaotic evil if ya wanted... we few and filthy are werkin' to get ALL the alingment open for all... SHUT UP Uska!:D:D:D:D

Impatiens
03-13-2011, 04:47 PM
I always go neutral on characters that can, true neutral if possible, lawful neutral on my monks and monk splash builds. Of course, as a monk, I don't have to worry about pure good restrictions because pure good wraps have no umd check. Neutral allows you to use taint of evil items with no drawback and it also makes you immune to some evil-based damage that only damage good aligned characters. On characters that do need to pass a umd requirement for pure good items it can be a little more annoying, but 20 umd is pretty easy to reach even if you can only put half ranks in the skill.

tihocan
03-14-2011, 08:56 AM
Pure good is very handy when you get started, but in the long term you can either find or craft weapons that can replace those (and actually be better).