PDA

View Full Version : Cleric Domains, with a long-winded example.

TheKaige
03-13-2011, 01:25 AM
I had a long introduction, but I'll keep it short and simple; With the FvS prestige coming out, clerics are gonna become the inferior of the two again, whereas there is currently a decent split between the two on which one people prefer. To that end, I'd like to see domains given to clerics.

I'd implement domains in the following manner: Clerics would get 2 domains, selected at character selection, which would provide some manner of passive benefit, but more importantly, would expand the cleric's domain dramatically pertaining to that domain.

As an example of what I'm talking about, here's a rough sketch of the "Good Domain"

Requirements: Must be some sort of Good
Benefits: +1 CL with "Good" spells; all Good aligned summons you summon have an augment summon that stacks with augment summoning.

In addition, you'd gain access to the following spells (All of the following, and their root spells available to all clerics, are considered "Good" spells.)

Level 4: Improved Protection from Evil: +3 stacking to Saves and AC vs. Evil opponents. Prevents mental control.
Level 6: Improved Magic Circle against Evil: As above, but mass.
Level 7: Greater Protection from Evil: +4 stacking to Saves and AC vs. Evil opponents. Prevents mental control.
Level 9: Greater Magic Circle against Evil: As above, but mass.

Level 6: Improved Holy Smite: Maximum damage vs. evil creatures is increased to 7d4+28 (from 5d4+20), and max damage vs. evil outsiders is increased to 15d3+45 (from 10d3+30) In addition, all targets must make a fortitude save or be exhausted; a successful save still results in fatigue. Alternatively, this spell can be used to cast a Holy smite with 2x the area of effect. (Still a level 6 spell when used for the latter when deciding DC and Mantles/Globes.)

Level 8: Greater Holy Smite: Maximum damage vs. evil creatures is increased to 10d4+40, and max damage vs. evil outsiders is increased to 20d3+60. In addition, two consecutive will saves must be made to avoid the blind effect. Alternatively, this spell can be used to cast Improved Holy Smite with 2x the area of effect, or Holy Smite with 4x the area of effect.

Level 9: Greater Holy Aura: As Holy Aura, except all affected allies are also granted a stacking Radiance Guard that only works against evil creatures (non evil creatures are immune). Alternatively, this spell can cast Holy Aura with 1.5x the area of effect.

Level 5: Dismiss Evil Outsider: As dismiss, except HD is not considered in the save, and only works against Evil Outsiders.
Level 8: Banish Evil Outsiders: As banish, except HD is not considered in the save, and only works against Evil Outsiders.
Level 9: Greater Dismiss Evil Outsider: The target must make two consecutive will saves to avoid being dismissed.

Level 2: Align Weapon: Good: (1min/lvl, Self only) All your attacks (Melee, ranged, unarmed) do good damage.
Level 5: Align Other Weapon: Good: (1min/lvl) As above, but can be cast on anybody.
Level 7: Mass Align Other Weapon: Good: As above, but mass.

Level 3: Weapon of Good: (6sec/lvl, Self only) All your attacks deal an additional 1d6 good damage vs. Evil opponents.
Level 6: Lasting Weapon of Good: (1 min/lvl, Self only) As above.
Level 8: Weapon of the Hero (6 sec/lvl, Self only) Applies a stacking Holy Burst to all your attacks.
Level 9: Righteous Fury (6 sec/lvl, Self only) Gives you a +2 luck bonus to attack and damage per 2 caster levels vs. evil targets.

Enhancements:
Cleric Power of Good I-IV: 10% damage AND duration bonus to all "Good" Cleric spells (Duration bonus includes durations on blind + fatigue effects.)
Cleric Enemy of Evil 1: (3 points) You deal +1 damage and have +1 attack with all your attacks vs. Evil opponents.
Cleric Enemy of Evil 2: (6 points) You deal +2 damage and have +2 attack with all your attacks vs. Evil opponenets.
Turn Fiend (2 points?) Your turn undead attempts can now be used to turn evil outsiders.

Summon Monsters: All evil summons are lost, and replaced with Good summons. If multiple choices are listed, then any one of those could suffice as a replacement.
Summon Monster 2: Fiendish Scorpion--> Celestial Beetle/Scorpion.
Fiendish Bat ----> Celestial Eagle/Bat
Summon Monster 3: Hell Hound----> Blink Dog/Celestial Wolf
Summon Monster 4: Fiendish Monstrous Spider----> Celestial Lion
Summon Monster 5: Bearded Devil ----> Hound Archon/ Aasimar Fighter
Umbral Worg-----> A ball of positive energy (Positive Elemental?); does deific vengeance, searing light, recitation, holy smite, heals self using CCW, has 100% healing amplification.
Summon Monster 6: Fiendish Troll----> Avoral/Celestial Polar Bear/Celestial Troll
Summon Monster 7: Efreeti----> Lillend,Marid, Celestial Caster type
Summon Monster 8: Bezekira ----> Leonal/Celestial Dire Lion
Orthon: ---> Astral Deva/Celestial Gnoll Champion
Summon Monster 9: Hezrou----> Planetar/ Trumpet Archon/ Aasimar Paladin

And finally, if domains were introduced, I would completely remove the Faiths; leave the clerics wielding martial weapons to the War domain; or just make each of the Faiths a domain that takes up both of the clerics domain slots. i.e. Sovereign Host domain = a mixture of Healing, Protection, and you get to use longswords.

Maybe some of these spells are overpowered for their level, or would throw things out of balance (I'm particularly curious if Align Weapon would make packs with Evil Outsiders noticeably easier), but the point is that the Cleric domains should be less about concrete passive advantages (what FvS have) and more about spell choice that makes a cleric better in whatever he wishes to specialize in.