PDA

View Full Version : Would it be interesting to have Darkvision added?

Monroid
03-12-2011, 11:02 AM
It may seem rather unnecessary, but would be a really nice addition to the game, specially for people in the Rainbow in the Dark quest, and maybe with further development, the Dephts of Darkness quest, in house D (well, the guy says that it's really dark in there)

Adding some other quests inside dungeons and sewers with few light or a pitch black enviroment would sure be great if Darkvision is ever to be implemented

Which ones have darkvision, anyways? I can only remember dwarves have it

Culver.Civello
03-12-2011, 11:05 AM
That would take out all the fun from Rainbow in the Dark. The point is that you need to stay with the light... otherwise your in total darkness. (Unless of course you have that level 4 summon) Still...

Asketes
03-12-2011, 11:13 AM
nah, not really

well, at least not for me, sorry

Truga
05-18-2011, 07:56 AM
All underground dungeons should be pitch-black. Then add torches and darkvision and whatnot.

MartinusWyllt
05-18-2011, 07:59 AM
Wouldn't everyone have darkvision/infravision except humans and possibly warforged?

Kahless_of_Cannith
05-18-2011, 08:13 AM
If we go off pnp, only drow, dwarves, and horcs would have darkvision.

Truga
05-18-2011, 08:27 AM
If we go off pnp, only drow, dwarves, and horcs would have darkvision.

This. And darkvision only lets you see 60ft in the dark, which seems awfully low range in ddo. Any party would profit from having a torch, a lighting spell, or a warforged with shining eyes. :D

Talias006
05-18-2011, 08:34 AM
Dwarves, Drow Elves and Half-Orcs have Dark Vision.
Non-Drow Elves, Half-Elves (and Gnomes if they're ever introduced) get Low-Light Vision, which is not the same.
Humans, Halflings and Warforged get no special vision.

This info was gotten from here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/srd35) from the Races file.

If they implement Dark-Vision and Low-Light Vision, then they're going to need to introduce new goggles/etc with those abilities so the gimp races can cope in some form or another. I inferred the lack of vision enhancement for Warforged from the entry on Living Constructs (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary&term=Glossary_dnd_livingconstructsubtype&alpha=).

ArkoHighStar
05-18-2011, 08:40 AM
Darkvision would be useless in Rainbow in the dark as it is a magical darkness

Gol
05-18-2011, 08:49 AM
Heh, I remember playing during Beta....

Darkvision was the compelling reason I first created a Dwarf. Then I got ingame and it didn't matter :(

suszterpatt
05-18-2011, 08:52 AM
Darkvision would be useless in Rainbow in the dark as it is a magical darkness
Is it? Pretty sure it's plain ole lack of illumination, but I don't really pay attention to details like that.

cardmj1
05-18-2011, 08:59 AM
Is it? Pretty sure it's plain ole lack of illumination, but I don't really pay attention to details like that.

Yep, Rainbow in the Dark is darkened by a spell. The Rainbow puzzle towards the end that you solve breaks the Darkness Spell. (Or at least it's suppose to or something. Just don't recall out and think you can go back in with the lights on after completion.)

Shanadeus
05-18-2011, 09:13 AM
I always thought that darkness and lights would be a great addition to DDO.
Imagine having to carry torches in low levels and having to get continuous light items/light spells as you level up.

Though guess this might cause some problem because of the whole way the engine handle lights.

AZgreentea
05-18-2011, 09:16 AM
I dont know if that would be really appealing. The ways I have heard it described in novels is a lot like nightvision systems. The world is visible, but it is mono-chromatic (usually shades of grey, not green like nightvision). That dosent seem very.... fun.