PDA

View Full Version : makin umd sexy again

axebender
03-11-2011, 09:04 PM
ok dare i say it??? umd could use a little kick, its already a powerful skill allowing you to use race restricted weapons/ gear. or even lvl and race restricted gold from the more horrid chests in the game but this plea is more geared toward scrolls and wands:

1) bring back all scrolls to vendors including cloud kill and fire wall not game breaking anymore at this point of the game to do so. early in the game when the lvl cap was 12 ok i maybe see it but hey lets get down to it..not game breaking.
2) bring in higher lvl scrolls and wands, eg..shield wands lvl5..cloudkill lvl 15 hehe. increase umd difficulty for this

all in all i think this would be good for people that actually put skill into umd allowing other classes such as bards to have more versatility for investing in this already difficult to raise skill..or melee such as pally or other strange umd builds to have the ability to have a little nuking power

peace out need another beer

Yokido
03-11-2011, 09:24 PM
Umd and platinum make you able to cast arcane spells of higher levels..
Sorry to be blunt here, but I don't really support that.
[Do I have to remind people that a skill should not equal a spell or feat?]

axebender
03-11-2011, 09:31 PM
sorry been drinkin the race restricted plat was a joke but umd could never be equal to spell casting even incrreasing a wand lvl to a mere 5

KillEveryone
03-11-2011, 09:33 PM
Umd and platinum make you able to cast arcane spells of higher levels..
Sorry to be blunt here, but I don't really support that.
[Do I have to remind people that a skill should not equal a spell or feat?]

Scroll form is really not very good.

It works but I'd rather have the real caster.

I've bought a stack of fireball scrolls for my bard and they were very weak and a very poor substitute, even when the line that boosts the effect of scrolls is taken.

With the immunities added to a lot of stuff anyway, I don't see a problem with having all the scrolls in the game. Not suggesting lvl 8 and 9 since they only came in chests anyway but at least up till lvl 7.

MsEricka
03-11-2011, 10:22 PM
Your post has nothing to do with UMD, you're asking about scrolls and wands which have a UMD rating and want more/higher level scrolls.

2) bring in higher lvl scrolls and wands, eg..shield wands lvl5

Of course you do know that level 5 shield wands already exist, as do level 10 shield wands.

QuantumFX
03-11-2011, 11:13 PM
I agree that all the scrolls should be for sale again. Unfortunately, Turbine has this really bad habit of coming up with 2 individual solutions that could solve the game balance issues they were facing and then foolishly implementing both of them resulting in an overkill nerf. (In this particular case they changed the duration of AoE’s *and* removed the scrolls from the vendors.)

If I were in charge, the scrolls would be for sale again but the scroll stacks would be lowered to 10.

As for UMD buffs…

1) I think there should be some random/named loot that has crazy stuff like RR: Troll. or more Absolute Law/Chaos and Greater Good/Evil weapons. Or, they could make some of the “This was the ring of some stupidly large critter... you have to wear it as a necklace” (Examples: Grim’s Bracelet) equipment act like a standard magic item if you try to equip it as what it actually is. (In the case of Grim’s Bracelet: UMD:20 to equip it in your braciers or ring slot.)

2) I think any buffs would have to be limited to classes that have it as a class skill and be in the spirit of the class.

For rogues I would go with something like this:

Rogue Improved Skill Mastery: Use Magic Device
AP Cost: 1
Level Requirement: Rogue 10
Progression Requirement: 32
Requires One of: Feat: Skill Mastery; Feat: Skill Focus: Use Magic Device
Description: Whenever a skill check is rolled for this skill a second d20 roll is made and the higher result is used.

This particular enhancement would result in a higher success rate with wands/scrolls that are in the rogue’s skill range but wouldn’t push the range higher. It would also make Skill Mastery more attractive.

For bards I would go a different route. Basically, I would implement some enhancements that allow a caster to apply metamagics to scrolls they can already cast. Bards, being the special case, would apply it to any scroll/wand they used.

Example:
Bard Wand and Scroll Mastery: Extend
Level Requirement: 4
Requires: Feat: Extend Spell; Bard Wand and Scroll Mastery I

axebender
03-11-2011, 11:44 PM
Your post has nothing to do with UMD, you're asking about scrolls and wands which have a UMD rating and want more/higher level scrolls.

Of course you do know that level 5 shield wands already exist, as do level 10 shield wands.

that has everything to do with umd..and yes they exist in chests only

axebender
03-11-2011, 11:50 PM
I agree that all the scrolls should be for sale again. Unfortunately, Turbine has this really bad habit of coming up with 2 individual solutions that could solve the game balance issues they were facing and then foolishly implementing both of them resulting in an overkill nerf. (In this particular case they changed the duration of AoE’s *and* removed the scrolls from the vendors.)

If I were in charge, the scrolls would be for sale again but the scroll stacks would be lowered to 10.

As for UMD buffs…

1) I think there should be some random/named loot that has crazy stuff like RR: Troll. or more Absolute Law/Chaos and Greater Good/Evil weapons. Or, they could make some of the “This was the ring of some stupidly large critter... you have to wear it as a necklace” (Examples: Grim’s Bracelet) equipment act like a standard magic item if you try to equip it as what it actually is. (In the case of Grim’s Bracelet: UMD:20 to equip it in your braciers or ring slot.)

2) I think any buffs would have to be limited to classes that have it as a class skill and be in the spirit of the class.

For rogues I would go with something like this:

Rogue Improved Skill Mastery: Use Magic Device
Level Requirement: Rogue 10
Progression Requirement: 32
Requires One of: Feat: Skill Mastery; Feat: Skill Focus: Use Magic Device
Description: Whenever a skill check is rolled for this skill a second d20 roll is made and the higher result is used.

This particular enhancement would result in a higher success rate with wands/scrolls that are in the rogue’s skill range but wouldn’t push the range higher. It would also make Skill Mastery more attractive.

For bards I would go a different route. Basically, I would implement some enhancements that allow a caster to apply metamagics to scrolls they can already cast. Bards, being the special case, would apply it to any scroll/wand they used.

Example:
Bard Wand and Scroll Mastery: Extend
Level Requirement: 4
Requires: Feat: Extend Spell; Bard Wand and Scroll Mastery I

i like these ideas especially the idea of allowing metamagics to work with them. but to tell ya the truth would just be easier for them to just make scrolls with specific spells have variouse lvl ranges instead of adding new enhancements.

Zeruell
03-12-2011, 12:30 AM
The only "buff" I want for UMD is to end that blasted lag/hitching whenever you swap equipment that changes your UMD score.

Nerate_Mireth
03-12-2011, 09:11 AM
Once Helfs came out, I rerolled a couple of UMD toons to Helfs and used the Dilletente lines (Helf Rogue with Cleric Dilletente is one of them) as I had UMD on my original rogue just for the healing wand usage and a couple of other spells when I was soloing)

UMD isn't worth points anymore. Now if some of the things QuantumFX stated (+1 rep btw) were implemented, I might build a UMD toon again.

Raodin-bel-iori
03-13-2011, 09:50 PM
I'd just personally like to see more and more serious UMD items. So far in the whole game I've only seen two or three of them, and the bonus they give to the skill is only like 1-3.

Adken
03-15-2011, 04:14 PM
About the metamagics applied to scrolls and wands, there is a system for that in PnP. In fact, it's from a class of the Eberron campaign setting. It allows to apply metamagics to such items but it will consume more charges. It's great, and would make UMD more versatile.

unfiguroutable
03-15-2011, 04:28 PM
I belive that UMD is already very powerful and is working very near PnP

Monkeytoe
03-15-2011, 09:37 PM
Agree with OP.

bryanmeerkat
03-16-2011, 07:02 AM
(Helf Rogue with Cleric Dilletente is one of them)

Cant see how this would be any better than a Human Rogue with out having to dump points into wisdom , free skillpoints for umd which will give you the same as cleric dilli function wise , a free feat , , all the same enhancements , but no need to spend on cleric dili enhancements .

Am I missing something that the dili gives that makes up for the feat and enhancement points back ?

TheDearLeader
03-16-2011, 07:11 AM
Cant see how this would be any better than a Human Rogue with out having to dump points into wisdom , free skillpoints for umd which will give you the same as cleric dilli function wise , a free feat , , all the same enhancements , but no need to spend on cleric dili enhancements .

Am I missing something that the dili gives that makes up for the feat and enhancement points back ?

I'm kinda following along with this line of thinking.

Unless you already need the stat tied to the Dilly Feat to be 13 or higher, it seems smarter to do the UMD thing. Access to Arcane *and* Divine wands and scrolls, Race/Class/Alignment restricted items. Seems good all around.