PDA

View Full Version : Greensteel Mauls and Handwraps ... a way to do it fairly

Drfirewater79
03-10-2011, 10:50 AM
Its simple ... not enough ingredients to make new recipies .. FINE ... just add them to the random drop list in 20th completions. You already have a system in place allowing the quest rewards to be based on class ....

so at 20th completion a monk gets option for handwraps .. a fighter or barbarian gets a chance at a maul.

That is fair and balanced because dispite the fact that handwraps are a single weapon and thus can get benifits of two weapon style with a single weapon .. requiring 20 runs for a specific character to get a bind to character greensteel blank easily makes up for that.
In comparison to many others who can craft a full greensteel weapon after only 1 run in shroud with a guild. (once you get all your shards you can craft on your ships or friends ship .. i have made 4 greensteel items this way this week alone on characters that have only done one or two shrouds ever)

This will balance out DPS for monks with fighters (who can easily out dps monks and almost as easily out AC them at the same time where a AC monk is greatly disadvantaged DPS wise my 82ac self buffed fighter has a 34 str with only a +2 tome and only a single fighter past life.) especially after the TOD nerf and two weapon fighting nerfs of recent updates.

EDIT - i was wrong .. i said mauls i was thinking greatclubs .. my bad....but not the real point .. .the point was handwraps really.

Impaqt
03-10-2011, 10:52 AM
I've made several Greensteel Mauls......http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~delallea/ddo/shroud/cgi-bin/shroud.cgi?item=item&weapon=maul&craft=1&forced=&altar=3

Maybe your thinking of Greatclubs? If so.. why would anyone use a greatclub in DDO?

I dotn think handwraps are a matter of not enough recipes... Its more about how effects are applied to them that make then incomparable with greensteel.

DeathsApprentice
03-10-2011, 10:54 AM
ALSO MAULS ... right now only way to get one is randomly through gold coins .... we know they already exist.... why not give people a way to get them through completions. and Make MAUL builds possible and fun ... axes are not the only x3 weapon in the game .. why should they get all the fun and attention?

from the wiki:
+5 Green Steel Maul : Ore of Travail- Red Taper- Wondrous Jewel- Signet Stone- Eberron Energy Cell

Did I miss anything?

Asketes
03-10-2011, 10:56 AM
I have crafted two greensteel mauls

what are you talking about

Permaforged was a fantastic maul specced fighter. I can't wait to get back to it (he's currently away on TR)

Drfirewater79
03-10-2011, 11:04 AM
I've made several Greensteel Mauls......http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~delallea/ddo/shroud/cgi-bin/shroud.cgi?item=item&weapon=maul&craft=1&forced=&altar=3

Maybe your thinking of Greatclubs? If so.. why would anyone use a greatclub in DDO?

I dotn think handwraps are a matter of not enough recipes... Its more about how effects are applied to them that make then incomparable with greensteel.

They already said it was because there where no way to do them with recipies without re-coding the entire system. That was said way back when monks first came out.

Maybe i am thinking greatclubs ... but handwraps are still a needed IMHO.
Effects are a cop out .. cause they already have similar effects on items now ... look at the gloves from chronoscope.

they are not treated as weapons RIGHT NOW ... but if you made greensteel handwraps that where treated as weapons ( and thus TOD damage rings did not work for instance) it wouldnt hurt monks at all.

I would rather have greensteel handwraps then holy burst and shocking burst on my TOD rings .. even if it means having to get new TOD rings ... then i could put exceptionals on them without gimping my dps.

Drfirewater79
03-10-2011, 11:06 AM
I have crafted two greensteel mauls

what are you talking about

Permaforged was a fantastic maul specced fighter. I can't wait to get back to it (he's currently away on TR)

Yeah i messed up i was thinking Greatclub i think ... I edited the OP ..

convo is now about handwraps .. the way i should have kept it from the beginning lol.

blitzschlag
03-10-2011, 11:12 AM
I would rather have greensteel handwraps then holy burst and shocking burst on my TOD rings .. even if it means having to get new TOD rings ... then i could put exceptionals on them without gimping my dps.

i'd take a +3 force burst holy burst shocking burst icy burst handwraps of stunning +10 over a lit2 anyday.

anyway. all in all your post seems like a pointless rant with a topic thats been eaten for years now...

Missing_Minds
03-10-2011, 11:23 AM
fact: handwraps constantly end up having issues.
fact: greensteel works correctly right now.

Opinion: DON'T BREAK IT.

Cyr
03-10-2011, 11:32 AM

I seem to recall a few triple water weapon threads that would indicate this is not a fact.

Asketes
03-10-2011, 11:36 AM
Yeah i messed up i was thinking Greatclub i think ... I edited the OP ..

convo is now about handwraps .. the way i should have kept it from the beginning lol.

:) +1 for noticing your mistake and being a Man about it.. err or a Woman. lol

chester99
03-10-2011, 11:36 AM
◦Module 6.0: The Thirteenth Eclipse
◦January 30th, 2008

3 years and change since release.

◦Module 7.0: The Way of the Monk
◦June 3rd, 2008

just under 3 years for monks. hey, let's assume they were a total surprise to the dev team, literally falling from the sky, unable to be considered while developing greensteel...

3 years of failure. Tell me they care. Seriously. Tell me that.

Meanwhile, we get wow-style collect bags of trash "events" instead.

aslkfdja;lsdfkja;sldkfj

Missing_Minds
03-10-2011, 11:47 AM
I seem to recall a few triple water weapon threads that would indicate this is not a fact.

Got links? I sure haven't seen any show up on the front page of new posts.

Drfirewater79
03-10-2011, 01:59 PM
:) +1 for noticing your mistake and being a Man about it.. err or a Woman. lol

Man .. but thanks for being gender balanced. If i had been a woman i wouldnt have taken offence to being called a man ... or vise versa after all it is the internet ... and just cause they have a high voice and characters are female doesnt mean it aint really a fat dude eating a pastromy sandwich in his underwear on the other side.

Drfirewater79
03-10-2011, 02:02 PM
Meanwhile, we get wow-style collect bags of trash "events" instead.

aslkfdja;lsdfkja;sldkfj

Hey hey ... say all you want about horrible balancing between classes and **** poor raid options .. .and horrible mistake that was TRing and Greensteel ...

but the events are uber and the items where well worth the grind. At least mabar and pirate one where.

If you didnt get one of them shields and a few of the spy glass and daggers on nearly every character that could use em ... then you didnt do the event enough. Forget the fact that people who did spend time there ... walked out with a ton of epic items and a ton of cash for there dedication.

Drfirewater79
03-10-2011, 02:10 PM
fact: handwraps constantly end up having issues.

Opinion: DON'T BREAK IT.

How is adding handwraps in anyway shape or form breaking the game?

FACT - I play my monk more then any other class i have out of 13 characters 8 of which in the 19-20 range.

FACT - I have never once had an issue with handwraps EVER

FACT - Two weapon fighting changes hurt monks more then any other class because capstone for monks does not improve there off hands to 100% like rangers and no weapon options for increases like fighters get.

FACT - Greensteel handwraps are the single most asked for balancing tool for MONKs vs all other DPS classes

FACT - a defender fighter can get a higher ac without devoting all his stats to dex and wisdom allowing them to have a 34 str nearly if not over 600 hps and an ac of over 80 self buffed in this game currently allowing them min II and Lighting strike weapons on top of that fact let alone the epic cutlass. While your common monk has to grind twice as much gear ... and has to choose between dps or AC. FACT - greensteel handwraps would fix a great amount of that for AC build Monks.

FACT - giving monks greensteel handwraps at the cost of 20 runs of shroud (possibily cause it could be like +3 tomes where i am going on 100 runs and have not gotten a single +3 str tome and now need another cleansing stone so it will be 120 runs before i get it now) would go along way with monk fans ... and pave the way for AC druids and palidans granting them a small benifit since they are not able to use shields or armors limiting there AC. Which is already very limited in use at end game.

Ravoc-DDO
03-10-2011, 02:11 PM
I wouldn't mind GS wraps. But then the ToD ring burst effects have to go.

Missing_Minds
03-10-2011, 09:12 PM
How is adding handwraps in anyway shape or form breaking the game?
I never said game breaking. By going in and messing with greensteels, they risk breaking greensteel process. It isn't broke, don't "fix" it.

FACT - Greensteel handwraps are the single most asked for balancing tool for MONKs vs all other DPS classes
I see you don't care about all good saves, the only other class to have improved evasion, bab 20, immunity to desease, poison, magic/metal/alignemt free weapons... Oh yes, they need even more high powered weaponry for the sake of balancing.

FACT: ghost touch and handwraps... didn't work.
FACT: Crippling from dragontouched armor... doesn't work.
FACT: Destruction from dragontouch armor... doesn't work.

And if we continue to go back further... I think there were issue with alchemical treatments on wraps, +1 handwraps that were ML 12 (etc.) in loot tables, and so on.

Face it. Monks hence handwraps weren't in the game when The Shroud was released. The process was complicated and by the FACT that they released ToD rings which burst effects could be used on top of wraps, it is unlikely that we players will ever see greensteel handwraps.

waterboytkd
03-11-2011, 01:26 AM
Oh, greensteel handwraps, how much drama you can cause... :D

Really, I don't think monks need them to compete dps wise. Already, with ToD rings and the eternal light wraps, my Dex/Wis based monk with a 24 str, the epic brawlers gloves, power attack, and the FB tod set competes with barbs for hate generation (my closest way of appreciating damage). So, does she need GS wraps to feel competent? No. Really, more high level and epic level handwraps will do all they need to keep monks in line with other classes, dps-wise.

BUT, what the OP said about AC, that's 100%. Monks, which are supposed to be a high AC kind of class, get totally screwed on AC because of the way their gear plays out (no +2 exceptional stat bonuses, no +4 Insight with +4 Dodge, no Chattering Ring, no Shield bonuses). Really, more than GS wraps, there needs to be more items that grant these rare and incredibly necessary bonuses for AC builds that monks could use.

All just my opinion, of course.

Absolute-Omniscience
03-11-2011, 01:34 AM
I wouldn't mind GS wraps. But then the ToD ring burst effects have to go.

This guys speaks the truth!
If they added GS handwraps it would be so totally overpowered it'd be hilarious. They need to remove tod burst effects if they want to add gs. And I say; leave it as it is.

Anthios888
03-11-2011, 01:36 AM
i'd take a +3 force burst holy burst shocking burst icy burst handwraps of stunning +10 over a lit2 anyday.

This. I feel more than compensated for not having greensteel handwraps.

lhidda
03-11-2011, 01:37 AM
i'd love to see gs armor =D

Absolute-Omniscience
03-11-2011, 02:03 AM
i'd love to see gs armor =D

DT armors are pretty much GS armors.