PDA

View Full Version : Moar Traps

le_goat
03-09-2011, 05:45 AM
and notjust spikes and blades. Different ones like maybe a glitterdust trap or a hold person trap. Etc. Need some diversity with the magic traps.

Zharfie
03-09-2011, 05:51 AM
/signed, and make them randomized too

EustaceTrevelyan
03-09-2011, 05:57 AM
They should have a big crushy boulder trap like in Raiders;) Really, you couldn't go wrong with any of lucas' trap ideas.

elujin
03-09-2011, 06:01 AM
They should have a big crushy boulder trap like in Raiders;) Really, you couldn't go wrong with any of lucas' trap ideas.

not sure where but i think there is one like that in some quest

Zharfie
03-09-2011, 06:01 AM
More traps that force people on alternative/longer routes to complete a goal! get rid of the annoying straightforward running

pie2655
03-09-2011, 06:03 AM
and notjust spikes and blades. Different ones like maybe a glitterdust trap or a hold person trap. Etc. Need some diversity with the magic traps.

/signed

More traps that force people on alternative/longer routes to complete a goal! get rid of the annoying straightforward running

/signed

Sarisa
03-09-2011, 06:39 AM
Just a tiny note, some of the runes in the Subterrane can cast Hold Person.

I do agree, more variety in traps. I'm a Cleric without evasion and with pathetic reflex saves (even worse due to Yugo pots) and I still want to see more threatening traps.

macubrae
03-09-2011, 08:25 AM
Personally, I would love to trigger a trap and see a fireball come from down the hall at me. Ball lightning would work as would freeing sphere. I agree with random traps too. Logically, fire traps around fire giants or poison ones in thieves lairs work, but in general dungeons a random trap would add to the suprise and take away from the preparedness of the team. I have a toon with great reflexes and greater fire protection, he runs right through known fire traps, I might stay behind the rogue if that fire trap blew acid once.

zwiebelring
03-09-2011, 08:31 AM
/signed

Make traps totally random so spot becomes viable for experienced players. Not only for new content and new players.

Raodin-bel-iori
03-13-2011, 10:31 PM
Some other cool and very dangerous traps would be celing falling traps, monster spawning traps, neg lv necromangic traps, spell point draining traps, and the ever annoying and potentially deadly, party separating trap. Take some tips from the pirnce of perisa games.

BossOfEarth
03-13-2011, 10:38 PM
I'd like more "Don't step on the button!" style traps, as seen in Rainbow in the Dark.

BladedThesis
03-13-2011, 10:39 PM

There's one in Undermine. It smashes people lol. ^^

BossOfEarth
03-14-2011, 12:18 AM
http://chzgifs.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/goodstrategyp11.gif

Quarterling
03-14-2011, 12:49 AM
/signed ad infinitum

DMCain
03-14-2011, 01:02 AM
I'm all for more better and different traps. But what I'd really like to see is random trap type and placement.

Oh, and do something about all these silly rogue splash toons. It annoys me to no end that someone with only 1 or 2 levels of rogue can find and disarm each and every trap that a pure rogue can. I dunno how to fix that foolishness, but someone should figure it out.

Relenthe
03-14-2011, 01:18 AM
There are random trap locations in monastery of the scorpion. The majority of the population doesn't like it though. I personally find It much better

Monkeytoe
03-17-2011, 09:54 AM
Moar! Moar types, Moar random, Moar interesting...
Also, resetting or re-spawning.
Trap reset time based on how much over the trap DC the rogue rolled.

/signed
especially if its like... do a crazy jumping puzzle OR disable the trap :)

And traps to alternate lewts :)

dranreb
03-17-2011, 09:57 AM

Ooh! I like it!

So, you're two-thirds up the ramp in Coal Chamber, and this massive boulder starts coming at you. Awesomesauce.

PNellesen
03-17-2011, 10:43 AM
I do agree, more variety in traps. I'm a Cleric without evasion and with pathetic reflex saves (even worse due to Yugo pots) and I still want to see more threatening traps.

Same here. It might slow (slightly) the "Imagonnagokilleverythingnao" guys who run off way out of healing range, die before you catch up, then ask "why u not hjealz me??"

Of course, they'd still die in the trap after finding it for the rogue, but at least they wouldn't blame me for it ;)

/signed

hityawithastick
03-17-2011, 10:48 AM
/signed.

Here's an idea--why not have some of the 'symbol' spells used as traps? That is one of the ways they were intended to be used--just paste them on a wall, and they trigger for 30 seconds (once) when someone walks by. (after that they just fade away).

Falco_Easts
03-17-2011, 11:40 PM
Add some alternate to rogue spot/search/disable.

Exploding runes that can be disabled by a DC check with your Wiz.
Snares & pit traps in outdoor zones that your ranger can spot and possible disarm (and set?)
Traps that spawn gateways to the hells and spew out demons that can be sensed (spotted) by Pali's and good aligned clerics by an aura of evil.

You get the idea.

Please don't say they will make Rogues useless. If you are only using your rogues for traps you are doing it wrong.

katz
03-17-2011, 11:48 PM
/signed!

Also, resetting or re-spawning.
Trap reset time based on how much over the trap DC the rogue rolled.

/notsigned
in most cases, if i shut it off, i want it to stay that way! :eek:

Monkeytoe
03-19-2011, 11:01 AM
in most cases, if i shut it off, i want it to stay that way! :eek:

heh, well.... in most cases, if I clear a passage of mobs, I want it to stay that way...
If I open a shrine door, I want it to stay that way...

doesn't always work out like that, though :)

I also imagine traps like... (by way of explanation) in "The Kobolds' New Ringleader" there is a crate that you can jump on to get across a wall and bypass some areas. If you break this box, you can't jump across the wall. It is a sort of "point of no return trap" in that, if you break the crate, you can't cross the wall any more.

I imagine traps sort of like that, that create a point of no return after they activate, but can either be suspended in activation for a period of time dependent upon the rogues disable level (imagine jamming a stick under that boulder in undermine :p ) for long enough to get the whole party through, or else rushed through by one or two quick people at the expense of splitting the the party for a period of time, or even completely ignored in favor of the entire party going a different route.

katz
03-19-2011, 11:43 AM
heh, well.... in most cases, if I clear a passage of mobs, I want it to stay that way...
If I open a shrine door, I want it to stay that way...

doesn't always work out like that, though :)
I imagine traps sort of like that, that create a point of no return after they activate, but can either be suspended in activation for a period of time dependent upon the rogues disable level (imagine jamming a stick under that boulder in undermine :p ) for long enough to get the whole party through, or else rushed through by one or two quick people at the expense of splitting the the party for a period of time, or even completely ignored in favor of the entire party going a different route.

mm, good points. but then, hense why i said "most cases" :p

I also imagine traps like... (by way of explanation) in "The Kobolds' New Ringleader" there is a crate that you can jump on to get across a wall and bypass some areas. If you break this box, you can't jump across the wall. It is a sort of "point of no return trap" in that, if you break the crate, you can't cross the wall any more.

to be fair, and not to derail the point at all, but you can actually make that leap if you have enough jump skill... just most lowbies don't. (learned that little fact myself by accident with a very athletic rog/ranger i rolled up :cool: lol )

RJBsComputer
03-19-2011, 11:59 AM
I find this suggestion very funny from a Rogue point of view. If you every look at the rogue forums...when there was one...all the best rogues hate doing traps. The montra was always "Rogues are DPS machines that do traps on the side when they feel like it."

Entimix
03-19-2011, 12:06 PM
I find this suggestion very funny from a Rogue point of view. If you every look at the rogue forums...when there was one...all the best rogues hate doing traps. The montra was always "Rogues are DPS machines that do traps on the side when they feel like it."

I dunno, I play a rogue main and I like having traps to deal with - though it does always irritate me when some of the party just ignore them (and wind up killing themselves, ho hum). Does this mean I'll never be one of the best rogues? Ok, maybe don't answer that. :D

OP /signed

Dendrix
03-19-2011, 12:17 PM

They should have traps where if you enter the dungeon and you don't have a rogue in the group you are automatically killed.

Monkeytoe
03-22-2011, 10:43 AM
They should have traps where if you enter the dungeon and you don't have a rogue in the group you are automatically killed.

Oh, I know: They should have quests where, when the party enters, all the monsters spontaneously combust, raining large devil scales!!1!1ONE

Khanyth
03-22-2011, 11:21 AM
Anyone played God of War? Some of the traps in that game are awesome.

Remember there's the room with the blades in the grid pattern that you have to pull 2 levers to open the portcullus to exit? Remember after that room, there's the hallway of boulders that fall towards you and there are 4 doors on each side that randomly have the exit and you have to dodge the boulders and hope that you open the door quick enough before being run over? I like that one. I like that one a lot.

Remember also there's a U-shaped room with the spiked floor, and you have to kick a box to the other side of the U and jump up to get a necklace (Hera's, I think) and if you don't make it in time, the spikes go through the box and kill you? I like that one too.

Dunno how you could DDO those ideas (that's for other, more talented and better paid people to figure out) but DDOizing a lot of the GoW I and II traps would be awesome.

Slorgs
03-22-2011, 11:34 AM
/signed

Random traps of all different kinds would really spice things up.

I particularly like the mass hold trap idea.

If you can spawn a trap randomly, how about random encounters as well?

Could be Ogre, Cube, Undead, etc. based on dungeon level.

Cauthey
03-22-2011, 11:44 AM
/signed.

Even some queer traps that don't completely make sense would be amusing. We did some intro PnP 4.0 with a tetherball "Skull-Skull-Stone" game that was technically considered a trap. And then, there was a giant boulder that just kind of rolled around the room to mix things up. Not particularly deadly because it was very predictable. Again, it wasn't potent - but it was funny because it was so odd.

Traps are fun. :D

Woo...switching fire for acid would be dirty. :p

Qezuzu
03-22-2011, 11:49 AM
They should definetely get creative with traps (but please no disjunction traps. It's fine if they don't rape certain items, but they do).

Dance traps (trigger trap, OID, no save)
Web traps (I mean trigger the trap and you get the entire rooms sprayed with [fireproof] webs)
Wail of the Banshee traps
Spawn-a-BAMF-golem trap

le_goat
03-22-2011, 11:57 AM
I want a wonderous potion trap...coukd give spell points or do something wicked.

that or a prismatic spray trap.

:)

LazarusPossum
03-22-2011, 01:08 PM
Oh, and do something about all these silly rogue splash toons. It annoys me to no end that someone with only 1 or 2 levels of rogue can find and disarm each and every trap that a pure rogue can. I dunno how to fix that foolishness, but someone should figure it out.

Nothing's more irritating than being invited to a group and have other toons running ahead and trying to point out/disable the trap before you get to it. Why bother inviting me? Oh yeah, for that ONE chest/trap they just can't overcome the DC for.

They're kind of lucky Wall of Fire, Blade Barrier, and Holy Smite aren't first level spells, or I'd be out-spamming them just to prove a point.

Falco_Easts
03-22-2011, 07:54 PM

Realise they are doing you a favour and giving you more timeto kill stuff which is the best part about being a rogue.