PDA

View Full Version : Airship battles

Chrasch
03-04-2011, 03:17 AM
Make it so that instead of absolute nothingness surrounding the guild airships, you can see the airships of other guilds off in the distance. A leader or officer can click on one, see its guild name, number of people on the guild etc. The leader or Officer can then decide to attack it for renown(amount depending on size of guild versus size of attacking guild). When your airship is attacked you get a notice saying to com to the airship as fast as possible, because it is under attack. If you're killed during the airship battle you have to stand there by your soul stone unless a guildmate revives you.

jamad1
03-04-2011, 03:23 AM
NO!!! Bad OP. No airship battles.

I have better things to do.

It would be kinda cool to see other ships off in the distance though.:rolleyes:

BrightAsh
03-04-2011, 04:42 AM
I actually like the idea! a bit different though...
IMO it would defenitly suck if i got a message right in the middle of a ToD-run that my guildship is under attack by ArchAngles or something... Espescially since i have a very small guild :o

What would be cool though, is that 2 ships could be a new PvP area. So two guilds could agree on a measure of strength and power by setting a date and time on which the ships will meet and board each other. Each Guild would have time to organize the battle, get their man together and not be dependant on who is online atm.

Major PvP fight between Archangels and Legion for example... that would be sooo awesome to see.

*pondering :rolleyes: Even better would be to have spectating ships :P but i recon that would be a bit to much. An entire fleet of guildships spectating the big fight

justhavinfun
03-04-2011, 04:45 AM
No No No No No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chrasch
03-05-2011, 05:25 PM
I actually like the idea! a bit different though...
IMO it would defenitly suck if i got a message right in the middle of a ToD-run that my guildship is under attack by ArchAngles or something... Espescially since i have a very small guild :o

What would be cool though, is that 2 ships could be a new PvP area. So two guilds could agree on a measure of strength and power by setting a date and time on which the ships will meet and board each other. Each Guild would have time to organize the battle, get their man together and not be dependant on who is online atm.

Major PvP fight between Archangels and Legion for example... that would be sooo awesome to see.

*pondering :rolleyes: Even better would be to have spectating ships :P but i recon that would be a bit to much. An entire fleet of guildships spectating the big fight

That sir, is absolutely brilliant. Except for the spectator thing. That would be a bad idea lol.

kyleann
03-05-2011, 05:46 PM
PvP already has an arena so why would there need to be airship battles? If they aren't adding weapons systems and player control to the airships themselves than it still comes down to PvP where you board each other's ships. 'm not opposed to choosing an airship-style battle ground at the PvP arena or having guild v guild PvP matches, but adding the battle mechanics and flight simulation are a huge undertaking that could better be used to create game content with more return on investment, like more raids, more quest lines, and a better EPIC system.

Sorry, but it's a no for me as well. It's a nice idea, just not for this game at this time.

heyytoi
03-05-2011, 05:59 PM
Make it so that instead of absolute nothingness surrounding the guild airships, you can see the airships of other guilds off in the distance. A leader or officer can click on one, see its guild name, number of people on the guild etc. The leader or Officer can then decide to attack it for renown(amount depending on size of guild versus size of attacking guild). When your airship is attacked you get a notice saying to com to the airship as fast as possible, because it is under attack. If you're killed during the airship battle you have to stand there by your soul stone unless a guildmate revives you.

Your talking about 'dark age of camelot' arent you?!!

all that would be cool but you know... you dont talk about this stuff here or people will hate you because its pvp... and pvp is EVIL..

Its so EVIL it eats kittens

its evilness ruins the game and blablabla

PvP is awesome tough

Rustyshwankar
03-08-2011, 12:21 PM
I honestly love pvp. I played war hammer online from the beginning until I became broke, but that's besides the point. I think the Idea is rough around the edges, but I think it's a great Idea. I would just like in general to see pvp more incorporated into the game. Maybe even rewards for doing it (if there is not already).

TheDearLeader
03-08-2011, 12:24 PM
I honestly love pvp. I played war hammer online from the beginning until I became broke, but that's besides the point. I think the Idea is rough around the edges, but I think it's a great Idea. I would just like in general to see pvp more incorporated into the game. Maybe even rewards for doing it (if there is not already).

There are 1*10^600 MMOs out there with balanced, serviceable PvP out there. Notice I say MMO, not MMORPG. It includes MMORPGs, but also includes MMORTS, MMOFPS/MMOTPS, etc.

This one game does not do *that* sort of PvP. That is because it is modeled after a role-playing game, in the truest definition. I'm nicely asking that if PvP is that important to you, please find another game instead of asking that this one be tailored to your preferences.

Memnir
03-08-2011, 12:36 PM
Move all PvP to an airship, and get it outta the taverns.

Let the skulking cheap-cheap Airship vendor in the Harbor also act as the teleporter to the PvP Ships - kinda like some kind of aerial Fight Club. Once on the ship - have the Arena and team-based PvP person on the top deck for easy use, and let the below-decks be the general brawling pit. Make a new team-based zone to be Ship v Ship to better suit the new theme, even.

This way, the PvP guys can have their own place where they can do as they like - and those who don't like PvP won't have to deal with it what so ever. I see it as win-win.

"Yeah, the Coin Lords sent in the guards to clean us outta the Lobster... so we took the skies!"

Really, this is the one change the Mods could make to the game that would make me unreservedly happy.

TheDearLeader
03-08-2011, 12:45 PM
Move all PvP to an airships, and get it outta the taverns.

Let the skulking cheap-cheap Airship vendor in the Harbor also act as the teleporter to the PvP Ships - kinda like some kind of aerial Fight Club. Once on the ship - have the Arena and team-based PvP person on the top deck for easy use, and let the below-decks be the general brawling pit. Make a new team-based zone to be Ship v Ship to better suit the new theme, even.

This way, the PvP guys can have their own place where they can do as they like - and those who don't like PvP won't have to deal with it what so ever. I see it as win-win.

"Yeah, the Coin Lords sent in the guards to clean us outta the Lobster... so we took the skies!"

Really, this is the one change the Mods could make to the game that would make me unreservedly happy.

I still like the idea of a PvP only server, and a 2-month window that anyone can make a free toon transfer over there, and disable "PvP Pits" on any other server. But I think that idea got bashed into the ground a while ago for some such odd reason.

knightgf
03-08-2011, 12:51 PM
The idea of looking at other guildships in-game and maybe hailing them for, say, trading, or exchanging the use of airship accomendies would be a interesting idea.

However, for battling each other, I really wouldn't approve of it since PvP is not designed to be used in this game. Next!

brian14
03-08-2011, 12:51 PM
No

/not signed

Let me elaborate a bit: N-O

TheDearLeader
03-08-2011, 12:54 PM
No

/not signed

Let me elaborate a bit: N-O

Not much in the way of elaboration there. An argumentative stance the likes of which we see of toddlers in "their terrible twos".

C'mon. If you've got the energy to hit the "Reply" button, give us a little more to nom on.

Rustyshwankar
03-08-2011, 01:49 PM
There are 1*10^600 MMOs out there with balanced, serviceable PvP out there. Notice I say MMO, not MMORPG. It includes MMORPGs, but also includes MMORTS, MMOFPS/MMOTPS, etc.

This one game does not do *that* sort of PvP. That is because it is modeled after a role-playing game, in the truest definition. I'm nicely asking that if PvP is that important to you, please find another game instead of asking that this one be tailored to your preferences.

I just don't want to see a spike in pvp just done for me, but also other players out there that also want the same thing. Just because a game implements pvp doesn't mean that players have to participate. Also I've played the pencil and paper version since 2nd edition, and I must say that there were lot's of "pvp" while playing due to disputes between the characters within the game. It pvp doesn't take away any aspect of a game when implemented, it only enhances. Even for more serious role players out there this could enhance the story that they are playing.

ps. all mmorpg's are modeled after a role-playing game, admitted or not Dungeons and Dragons is the model for all mmo rpgs that are out today. It is the grandfather to all mmorpg's. Also who are you to put down ideas of others? No one is trying to take anything away from the great game play that exists now, we are just suggesting the developers to maybe add a little extra. A little competitiveness never hurt anyone.

TheDearLeader
03-08-2011, 01:58 PM
Just because a game implements pvp doesn't mean that players have to participate. ...No one is trying to take anything away from the great game play that exists now,...

Snipped to all but the tasty bits.

The problem here is that so many of the PvP "suggestions" threads made will have some sort of impact on PvE.

Also, remember that DDO is not exactly a "Big" game by any means, even if Turbine wins tasty awards and gets good press by MMO websites. There are a limited number of Devs trying to work on a virtually unlimited number of additions and changes to this game. By DDO being a model of the "grandfather of all MMOs", Dungeons and Dragons, it means they have the largest canvas ever to paint and fill, and the most to translate from idea and concept to enjoyable online experience.

What's the above wall of text mean? PvE players don't support PvP because time spent coding PvP changes is time lost that could have been spent coding new quests/items/spells/features everywhere else in game.

Monroid
03-08-2011, 02:17 PM
Well, in the Phoenix tavern there are some cool PvP modules, I don't see a reason not to make another one on guild airships

Would be cool if there were cannons and stuff, the ship that took the most damage or got it's crew killed X times is required to forfeit the battle

Just saying here, /signed

Also, raids that you and your guildmates have to use your airship to get to a determined location. I mean, the ship is yours, you should be able to take it to a tower filled with flying demons and other monsters; or a quest that you need to board a pirate ship or something like that

Rustyshwankar
03-08-2011, 02:17 PM
Snipped to all but the tasty bits.

The problem here is that so many of the PvP "suggestions" threads made will have some sort of impact on PvE.

Also, remember that DDO is not exactly a "Big" game by any means, even if Turbine wins tasty awards and gets good press by MMO websites. There are a limited number of Devs trying to work on a virtually unlimited number of additions and changes to this game. By DDO being a model of the "grandfather of all MMOs", Dungeons and Dragons, it means they have the largest canvas ever to paint and fill, and the most to translate from idea and concept to enjoyable online experience.

What's the above wall of text mean? PvE players don't support PvP because time spent coding PvP changes is time lost that could have been spent coding new quests/items/spells/features everywhere else in game.

I understand that PvE is the main part of the game and everything they do with it I love. But, quests,and items and can be added while creating PvP, also PvP would be a feature new feature to the game. Also when it comes to an "enjoyable online experience" that has to be judged by the ddo community as a whole not just a specific group of players. That's where compromise comes into place. The PvP community does not ask for much, but a littler bit more would be nice. That's all.

TheDearLeader
03-08-2011, 02:28 PM
I understand that PvE is the main part of the game and everything they do with it I love. But, quests,and items and can be added while creating PvP, also PvP would be a feature new feature to the game. Also when it comes to an "enjoyable online experience" that has to be judged by the ddo community as a whole not just a specific group of players. That's where compromise comes into place. The PvP community does not ask for much, but a littler bit more would be nice. That's all.

You're missing two key elements.

First, the "PvP community" *is* the specific group of players. You're the niche, not the majority, and you're asking Turbine to provide for your niche. Do a fair portion of players casually hop down every now and then out of boredom? Yes. This does not make them part of the "PvP community", it just makes them bored. Partaking of beer occasionally does not make me an alcoholic.

Second, no, they *can't* add new PvE while adding new PvP, because both take man-hours to code. Any time spent on PvP coding is time lost on PvE coding, be it a single Dev or the entire Dev team. You literally cannot code two things at the same time.

So, with these in mind (Please read them closely, maybe even twice), expect that many people will say, simply, "no thank you."

BrightAsh
03-11-2011, 09:13 AM
You're missing two key elements.

*snip
Any time spent on PvP coding is time lost on PvE coding, be it a single Dev or the entire Dev team. You literally cannot code two things at the same time.

So, with these in mind (Please read them closely, maybe even twice), expect that many people will say, simply, "no thank you."

/also signed

Although i very very very (etc.) much like the idea of the PvP ship-thing, and i could ponder a while about the awesomeness of it all (giant battles between big guilds on two ships aside eachother) TheDearLeader makes a very very very (etc. again) good point, i hadn't thought about. Time spent in PvP cannot be spent in PvE. And if i have to weigh the two points. Either 1.supercool PvP or 2.new PvE content... i choose door number 2 over the first anytime.

Raodin-bel-iori
03-13-2011, 10:07 PM
This would be awesome. However the "challenged" guild should have the option of declining the fight if they want to. It'd be so easy to check the guild raid times of a potential target and then just attack when everyone's busy. It's also allow guilds to coordinate actual challenge times when all their members woud be on board.

This would also allow for cool new PVP amenities such as rail crossbows, ballista and catapult emplacements, airship amor, and other cool things that turbine could make a good buck off of. It may even allow for rest and rez shrines on airships for that purpose. As for controls, it'd be cool if either the ship could be autopiloted by the captian or controlled by the players. Basic turning and speed, altitude control, ect would actually make PVP more fun and interesting.

Adding renown rewards would make it worthwhile for guilds to organize and spend time on since right now there's no reward for spending time on PVP, and turbine could even create special events for airship battles with special guild rewards for the winners. That could be bracketed kind of like weight classes in wrestling were there's a winner for each guild size bracket. 1-10 or 15, 10 or 15 through 20 or 30, etc. Tons of possibilities!

Paleus
03-13-2011, 10:23 PM
Imagine the scenario:

Guild-Run Elite ToD, Horoth Tank is engaged, healers keeping him up, the party is about to open a can o' whoopin on him. Wait...whats that, I just got a flashing notice that our guild airship is under attack! Random-unknown level 20 guild wants to challenge us. Of course, drop everything and let us make haste to defend ourselves for the 50th time this day because everybody wants to challenge the top guild on the server. Everyone, quick switch to your casters and mount up!

Granted, you could limit the number of challenges per day, but honestly how many of us as a guild would not just hit ignore if given that option (do we get that option?) Does one officer in the guild accepting the challenge make the whole guild susceptible? Will PvP be balanced? How long does this airship battle last for? Do people that logged off on their airship who log in suddenly find themselves in the middle of a fight just to die while loading, so now they have to wait around when all they wanted to do was check the auction house or run an actual quest? And the kicker for me, each airship basically becomes its own instance where say two entire guilds are supposedly fighting. Instances with '24' players in the Mabar event slowed to a crawl of unbelievableness (granted there were other causes of this) with very poor communication ability. So how many from the guild should be allowed in these fights and the server still be able to handle it and the team able to communicate properly?

I'm just suggesting that there are a ton of issues with this suggestion, all suggestions have them of course. If you can work them out kudos. But personally, I don't play this game for pvp and so would hopefully be able to opt out of the whole airship battle thing that people periodically suggest be included, but still be able to use the airship.