PDA

View Full Version : Trying to make a wizard, but cannot decide between Drow or WF

Guthan
03-03-2011, 10:28 PM
I already know what the pros and cons between Drow and WF. My question is what is more suitable for certian types of wizards?

Here is my plan. I am hoping to make a Wizard that will hardly do damage but will be completely buff, debuff, and CC. Secondly, I was hoping to later making a Sorc that will be PURE damage. So I was debating with myself and I thought that maybe a WF CC wizard would be best and a Drow dps Sorc would be better than a wf sorc for what I plan to do. But what are your thoughts?

One of my main concerns is WFs naturally get a 5% failure chance. Is it noticeable? Also I know that WF with arcane is known for healing, but as a Drow wiz wouldn't I be able to UMD healer wands since my cha is higher?

awang20
03-03-2011, 10:49 PM
I already know what the pros and cons between Drow and WF. My question is what is more suitable for certian types of wizards?

Here is my plan. I am hoping to make a Wizard that will hardly do damage but will be completely buff, debuff, and CC. Secondly, I was hoping to later making a Sorc that will be PURE damage. So I was debating with myself and I thought that maybe a WF CC wizard would be best and a Drow dps Sorc would be better than a wf sorc for what I plan to do. But what are your thoughts?

One of my main concerns is WFs naturally get a 5% failure chance. Is it noticeable? Also I know that WF with arcane is known for healing, but as a Drow wiz wouldn't I be able to UMD healer wands since my cha is higher?

The 5% failure is taken care of by the Inscribed Armor Enhancement available at lvl 1 (or 2, can't remember). On a WF arcane, you can repair from the onset and to a greater extent. Your UMD as a caster won't be useful until at least mid levels, and is potentially slower than casting the spell. I'm not really sure how to answer your main question, though the Drow will have a max DC 1 higher than the WF, which seems useful on a CC caster. And it looks like a WF sorc would be tougher, and lose less from being behind in DC's as a pure damage caster.

Xenus_Paradox
03-03-2011, 10:56 PM

Depends on whether +1 DC is more important to you than easy/highly effective self-healing and immunities.

evilgardengnome
03-03-2011, 11:00 PM
There is no choice to make here- you must be Warforged. The immunities, extra HP, and self healing outweigh any negatives of the WF and the pros of the Drow. WF are great for either CC or nuker. The 5% ASF isn't noticable and quickly eliminated with an enhancement. UMD on a wiz will only get 1/2 a rank each level so it will take a while to be consistant and the difference between a drow and a WF is only 2 points.

The best part about a wiz is that you can CC all you want in one quest then change your spells and nuke the next quest.

I have a WF wiz and have fairly easily got him to level 13 almost entirely solo. I am an illusion archmage and I like it. I hear the evocation archmage has even better survivability.

Guthan
03-03-2011, 11:03 PM
Depends on whether +1 DC is more important to you than easy/highly effective self-healing and immunities.

Well the main reason I'm considering WF to be WIZ only is because I dont want to be forced to have to pick up healing spells on a Sorc due to there limited use.

One reason I'm also thinking about WF or Drows for my WIZARD only is because the 5% spell failure, which I noticed I can offset by getting unarmored body, but that just seems like wasting a feat slot. Also I might be new to WF but I know they can only wear Docents and all the ones I come across are melle oriented. Wouldn't it be more beneficial to just to robes that are purely for casters? Lastly, even though this might be a minor thing. I really like the fact that Drows can hit 20int because that means better SP, harder resists, and a better selection of skills. So far all I see WF get across non-healing side of pluses is there con and immunities. The reason I don't see con as that big of a deal is Wizards are already terrible with HP is +2 really going to make be that much better in lvl 20 raids?

But that is just my perception of things so if anyone has any light on this or would like to correct me I am more than willing to hear what anyone has to say.

Noctus
03-04-2011, 06:34 AM
WF getting rid of arcane spell failure only costs 2 AP. nothing more, no feat, no item, no nothing.

All Hai the Warforged Überrace for Arcanes!

WF arcanes can be sent there and there without supervision to get a job done.

Squishy Drows almost always go squish much, muuuuUUUUuuuuch faster and need a babysitter most of the other time. Slightly higher DC doesnt come close to immunities + more HP + quickened self-repair.

pie2655
03-04-2011, 06:51 AM
For CC id go WF AM

Iaga
03-04-2011, 07:12 AM
This was a post i read in another thread that i thought was well said and has some relevance ...

...Personally if you put all the stats out on the table and compare the WF AM to a Drow/Human PM this is what you get.

First Life non TR's - WF AM > Drow/Human PM

After 3 Wiz TR's WF AM < Drow/Human PM

After bard life and 3 Wiz TR's WF AM < Drow PM < Human PM

If youd like me to break this down into numbers for you with DC's/HP/SP/ etc I can just lemme know.

Jen

It means, in your first life, its best to be a warforged AM wizard, since all the self healing and DC's are highest in this form, because lack of past life feats.

After 3 TR's it is better to go Drow PM, since you will now have 3 past life: wizard spell pen bonuses build up, and the actual past life feat can be taken since you wont need to take any more spell pen feats. The wizard past life feat now makes up for the extra AM dc booster, and drow INT bonus with lich form makes the DC's the same, but now you get even more survivability for being a PM.

After a bard past life, you now get the +1 enchantment dc boost from bardic past life, and the bonus feat from human makes up for that, allowing both wizard AND bardic past life feats to be taken, and with current INT scores, your only +1 INT behind a drow, but the extra feat offsets where it really counts (since the bar past life gives 1 more dc, aka +2 int from drow). So human PM is now the optimal desire. More con than drow, not neededing +2 int, since all you need it for is for enchant boosts (now aquired via human extra feat [bardic past life]), extra skill, Human adaptabitlity, and healing amp with no downsides.

FlyingTurtle
03-04-2011, 08:52 AM
Well the main reason I'm considering WF to be WIZ only is because I dont want to be forced to have to pick up healing spells on a Sorc due to there limited use.

EDIT: I think I see the problem.

1. True Reincarnation allows you to change race.
2. Sorcerers can change spells every 3 days, so you should be carrying just one healing spell at any moment.

DakFrost
03-04-2011, 11:16 AM
I played my Drow Sorc to cap (He was my original Drow character back when Drow were the master race.) and didn't TR him for years because I thought he was uber.... after TRing I realize now that I am still a noob.

I would never consider rolling a non-WF caster ever again. The difference is huge. You go from being a squishy, cleric dependant, back of the party character to a self-healing, high Con, front line killer. In fact, I take only self buffing spells and swing a Carnifex until I get Firewall, and even then, I find that standing in my firewall while swinging my Carnifex is still useful until level 10-11.

The only reason I can see for rolling up a non-WF caster would be for role-playing purposes.

Talon_Moonshadow
03-04-2011, 11:36 AM
For casting spells that depend on saves, (CC) higher Int (or Cha) is best.
But one DC less is not that big a deal.

On the other hand though monster saves at end game can be quite high. And you will like every single plus to DC you can get.

I like my Drow Wizard.
But the best Wizards I have seen in game have been WF.

DrNuegebauer
03-04-2011, 11:45 AM
WF getting rid of arcane spell failure only costs 2 AP. nothing more, no feat, no item, no nothing.

It's only 1 AP.

To answer the original question: WF wizard is the answer.

Quickened Reconstruct and the world is your oyster.

I'd go for Enchantment Archmage!

Bargol
03-04-2011, 12:01 PM
Byond what has already been stated above a WF wizard is much forgiving to play since you can repair yourself, have higher hitpoints, and immunities. The recomendation to any newer player is and should be WF wizard. Once you have played awhile or TR the wizard then try a human/drow palemaster wizard.

cdemeritt
03-04-2011, 12:23 PM
Warforged all the way here...

Having a capped Drow sorc and a Capped WF Wizard/rogue... I love my Drow sorc, but he was my first toon to make it to level cap, and semi-retired...

However, for overall heartiness, My WF wizzy was far more survivable, didn't die nearly as often, and with the addition of Evasion, traps, and immunities, hands down a much better caster... (the loss of capstone pales to the ability to evade DBF....) and if going wizzy, it is unlikely you will get a UMD to use heal scrolls easily... My Drow sorc has a 85% no fail unbuffed (over 100% buffed). and this was a challenge requiring raid loot, shroud cha item, and a lot of other things... WF can use scrolls and spells very early on...

Oh and for DC's My capped Drow sorc had a FoD DC of 37 with all sorts of raid gear... My Wiz/Rog has no raid loot, (other than the epic spyglass) and has a FoD DC of 36....