PDA

View Full Version : Worries about alignment and class

Gastronomo
03-02-2011, 04:30 PM
Hi. Obviously I'm new here. I've been playing around with characters for a few days and have settled on a Warforged as my first serious character. My problem is the class to go along with it. I want to be able to to solo if I must, so that narrows it down a bit. I do have a few questions/concerns:

1) My biggest worry is alignment and how it impacts the game. Coming from someone who's played the PnP game from AD&D 2nd Edition on, I'm not sure how much of an impact this feature makes on characters and the game overall. LG has always seemed to be too... stuffy for me, I guess. I'm not totally put off by them, I just tend to have trouble making believable LG characters.

2) What servers are recommended for new RPers?

I think that's it for now. This looks like an incredible community so far. Thanks for reading!

Drakos
03-02-2011, 04:34 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about alignment concerns in DDO. There realy isn't any game enforced alignment mechanic except certain gear may either exclude alignments or require alignments, soo. As for RP server, from what I've heard Sarlona is the unofficial RP server.

edit: Forgot to mention that some classes have alignment restrictions as well.

unbongwah
03-02-2011, 04:49 PM
Alignment concerns in DDO basically boil down to: class requirements (same as PnP so I presume you know them); item restrictions (some are limited to Lawful / Chaotic / Good chars unless their UMD score is high enough to bypass them); using equipment of the opposite alignment may cause a negative level (e.g., Good chars using Evil-tainted equipment, an issue because some of the best gear later in the game is evil-tainted); and alignment-based damage (namely Good chars are vulnerable to Unholy dmg; I don't recall if mobs do Chaotic / Lawful dmg).

Roleplaying? In a MMORPG? What's that? :rolleyes:

The usual advice is to go Neutral if you can, so you can use evil-tainted items without penalty and be immune to unholy dmg. [Obviously paladins must be LG.] Good chars can use Pure Good weapons early on which can be helpful, especially when fighting anything with DR/good, but that advantage diminishes over time, esp. if your char has a good UMD score.

LordMond63
03-02-2011, 04:50 PM
First, welcome to both DDO and the DDO Forums.

You are absolutely right....it is a terrific community of players, very knowledgeable and willing to share tips and tricks to help you navigate the game world.

On the topic of your question, I would completely agree with Drakos. Alignment in the game generally affects only some class choices (obviously you have to be Lawful Good if you're going to play a Paladin, for instance) and some equipment choices (if you are of Good alignment, you don't want to try to weild an Evil-aligned weapon or, if Chaotic, you want to avoid Lawful weapons and such). There are also certain spells that do damage to particular alignments and mob casters do occasionally toss them. But alignment is not NEARLY the factor in DDO that it is in a good PnP game.

One caveat however: if you are going to roleplay and perhaps look to join a roleplaying Guild, said Guild might very well enforce proper RP-ing based on your chosen alignment. I have known that to be the case in other games. You might want to ask how strict their rules are in this area if you have any doubts as to how closely they expect you to adhere to your chosen world view.

FuzzyDuck81
03-02-2011, 04:53 PM
some classes have alignment resitrictions (pally must be lawful good, monks must be lawful, bards & barbarians CANT be lawful)

otherwise, the main things impacted by alignment are only really:

what weapons/equipment you can use without needing UMD
- mustnt be chaotic for true law
- mustnt be lawful for true chaos
- anarchic & axiomatic CAN be used by their opposing alignments but ppl suffer a temporary neg level until its removed)
- absolute law & absolute chaos can iirc ONLY be used by lawful & chaotic characters respectively, and doesnt allow UMD to cover for it (based on descriptions from rahls wrath & new cutlass effect descriptions coupled with a lack of UMD requirement listings)

it can also effect certain alignment-based spell effects.. chaos hammer will effect lawful people, orders wrath will effect chaotic people, unholy blight will effect good people - true neutral characters wont suffer many of the effects, and items with stability will grant extra AC & saves to them (doesnt stack with regular +prot & +saves items though). True neutral is popular for its immunities, but unless you have a high UMD you'll be simply unable to use any pure good weapons, which are necessary for bypassing the DR of certain enemies & will have to rely on holy weapons or ones made of flametouched iron.

Gastronomo
03-02-2011, 05:04 PM
Wow! I want to thank everyone who replied! That really takes a lot of worry off my shoulders. It's nice to know alignment isn't as all-encompassing as it could be.

Now that that's out of the way, what self-sufficient class is desirable for a new player? I've read that WFs are either good at everything, or they really shouldn't be some classes(namely clerics). With great lack of squish comes a great conundrum, it seems.

Thanks for the tip about Sarlona. Looks like that could be my new home...

Kinerd
03-02-2011, 07:44 PM
I don't think it's reasonable to expect a new player to have a literally self-sufficient anything. My advice is to be a WF Wizard, make Intelligence and Constitution very high, and put any other build points in Strength (no more than 14 total score). Look through ddowiki.com and make an Archmage. This shouldn't be construed as the only way to make a wizard or WF, just that this is a build that you don't need super gear or super experience to do well with, making it well suited for a new player.

Good luck! :)

Gastronomo
03-02-2011, 08:25 PM
Interesting... Looks like I'm going to try build and classes I wouldn't have thought of using. Thanks!

voodoogroves
03-02-2011, 08:30 PM
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised how tough and self-reliant a WF Wizard can be.

Don't be afraid to post a build idea before you bring it online - feats, etc. Feat order can be daunting and some things simply work better or just differently in DDO than in PNP.

This may not make sense to you yet, but a WF archmage w/ dual focus in Evocation and Enchantment can be easy to play, easy to learn, new-player-friendly and absolutely ready to perform well in epic play.

unbongwah
03-03-2011, 09:46 AM
To be self-sufficient, you need at least two things: DPS & healing; i.e., you need to be able kill stuff and recover afterward. Among the F2P races & classes, I'd say bards, rangers, paladins, and clerics are your best bet. [Barbs & ftrs have higher melee DPS, but no self-healing; rogues can eventually UMD Cure wands & Heal scrolls, but at lower levels they got zip too.] If you add Warforged to the mix, a WF wiz or sorc is also pretty self-sufficient, because they can self-heal using Repair spells; fleshie arcanes cannot. [A fleshie Pale Master can self-heal in their undead form with negative energy spells, but not until lvl 12.]

7-day_Trial_Monkey
03-03-2011, 01:01 PM
One more point about playing a wizard in ddo. The most effective way to get up past level 4 or 5 is to cast master's touch and swing away with a greataxe. Combine that with charm, hypno and other cc spells and you can solo without any trouble.

Teech
03-03-2011, 01:05 PM
Hi. Obviously I'm new here. I've been playing around with characters for a few days and have settled on a Warforged as my first serious character. My problem is the class to go along with it. I want to be able to to solo if I must, so that narrows it down a bit. I do have a few questions/concerns:

1) My biggest worry is alignment and how it impacts the game. Coming from someone who's played the PnP game from AD&D 2nd Edition on, I'm not sure how much of an impact this feature makes on characters and the game overall. LG has always seemed to be too... stuffy for me, I guess. I'm not totally put off by them, I just tend to have trouble making believable LG characters.

2) What servers are recommended for new RPers?

I think that's it for now. This looks like an incredible community so far. Thanks for reading!

I don't think anyone has mentioned, but I believe there are people out there who RP in DDO.
Check out the static group forum page.
http://forums.ddo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48

Welcome to DDo =)

chrichton
03-03-2011, 01:25 PM
If you just can't accept a wizard slinging a greataxe, I'd say a bard (with splash of rogue for traps/locks) is a good way to solo early content.