PDA

View Full Version : Hows bout helping perma-death players by keeping count?

Zaal
03-02-2011, 10:48 AM
Hoping I didn't miss it but far as I am aware, servers don't keep of toon death count.

I suppose it'd be interesting to keep track of that stat...
I imagine the stat is already being maintained but not made public...

Perhaps build a mechanism to allow toons to declare perma-death play style and as such, make death count for said toonz public?

I imagine the count would only apply to in quest or wilderness settings.
Hard sell for example to count /death in taverns or public instances against toons.
Then again, assuming some perma-death are hardcode while others are more lax.

Perhaps then keep track of where the 'death' occurred , not a granular level but instead a more general count... in quest / wilderness, non-hostile areas, etc...

thx for reading :)

jwdaniels
03-02-2011, 10:48 AM
Did you try typing /death count in game? I've heard that might work.

joueur
03-02-2011, 11:16 AM
I'd rather have /played.

skepticalsoul
03-02-2011, 11:19 AM
Did you try typing /death count in game? I've heard that might work.

Do NOT do this. This will kill you in game.

Mr_Tank
03-02-2011, 11:22 AM

You are just doing it wrong :).

jwdaniels
03-02-2011, 11:23 AM

Next you're going to tell us that you can't use diplomacy on a chest to improve the loot...

Mr_Tank
03-02-2011, 11:32 AM
Next you're going to tell us that you can't use diplomacy on a chest to improve the loot...

Quick bless the chest before the noob opens it.

katana_one
03-02-2011, 11:35 AM
Not sure how this would help perma-death players, since they are required to delete their character when they die. Deletion and re-roll would reset the count, no?

jwdaniels
03-02-2011, 11:37 AM
Not sure how this would help perma-death players, since they are required to delete their character when they die. Deletion and re-roll would reset the count, no?

Most perma-deathers are allowed a number of ressurections (spell only) equal to constitution score, following rules from PnP (that I'm fairly sure go back to 1st and 2nd edition but were technically dropped from 3.0/3.5).

katana_one
03-02-2011, 11:42 AM
Most perma-deathers are allowed a number of ressurections (spell only) equal to constitution score …

Hmmm. Okay, it kinda makes sense when you put it that way. But I don't see this happening any time soon.

Impaqt
03-02-2011, 11:43 AM
:confused::confused:why woudl permadeathers need to keep track of how many deaths they have?:confused::confused:

They have trouble counting to 1?

Mr_Tank
03-02-2011, 11:45 AM
Don’t know about 1st edition but I can confirm that it is the case with 2nd edition. "A character's initial Constitution score is the absolute limit to the number of times the character can be raised or resurrected." 2nd edition Player's Handbook.

Maitland
03-02-2011, 11:52 AM
my thoughts..
I dont think Turbine should cater to one mindset of a guild.
Just keep track of it yourselves.Honor system n all.

Bluntt

Zaal
03-02-2011, 12:35 PM

It helps to keep them honest, especially if said count is periodically reviewed .

Zaal
03-02-2011, 12:44 PM
my thoughts..
I dont think Turbine should cater to one mindset of a guild.
Just keep track of it yourselves.Honor system n all.

Bluntt

Yeah but it's not just one guild and perhaps I have trust issues:rolleyes:

Besides I don't really see this as being a big change as , speaking as a developer , keeping track of this stat is as simple as subscribing to the death event by way of a delegate :)

However, exposing the stat and declaring the toon as a perma-death character is yet a different issue.

And wouldn't it be interesting to see just how honest said perma-death'rs are?
I would NOT be suprised if the stats are already being compiled but to have them made public all at once would really fun ! :D

Of course, you the player decides if it is made public, via the "this is a perma-death toon"...
How many perma-deather's would choose not to reveal the stat?
Goodness how much fun we'd have - wikileaks ddo style!!!! :p:p

Zaal
03-02-2011, 01:06 PM
...Deletion and re-roll would reset the count...

Sounds good to me!

Qindark
03-02-2011, 01:20 PM
It helps to keep them honest, especially if said count is periodically reviewed .

If you're dishonest about deaths, permadeath probably isn't for you.

Natashaelle
03-02-2011, 01:27 PM
Don’t know about 1st edition but I can confirm that it is the case with 2nd edition. "A character's initial Constitution score is the absolute limit to the number of times the character can be raised or resurrected." 2nd edition Player's Handbook.

Returning from the dead via Reincarnation (the Druid spell) or Wish bypassed that limit though ... Reincarnation even reset the number of times raised back down to zero, though ofc you were starting again as a 1st level character in that case (which might sound familiar) ;)

---

My own suggestion along these lines would be for Turbine to create a system using the Reincarnation tech (but called something else, to avoid confusing people) whereby a character could be rerolled as a 1st level toon with zero XP and exactly the same number of build points that the toon had previously, and the same associated XP table as previously. This would among other things help to fix some of the MyDDO problems for the PermaDeathers ;)

Impaqt
03-02-2011, 02:06 PM

Seriously? whos gonna review it? We cant see anyones raid timers or counters. why would I want to see someone elses "Death Count"?

general: /deathcount
general: (Dishonest permadeather has died 37 times) <Copy/Paste/Edit>
Party: (Dishonest permadeather has died 0 times)

Zaal
03-02-2011, 03:56 PM
Seriously? whos gonna review it? We cant see anyones raid timers or counters. why would I want to see someone elses "Death Count"?

Not sure why anyone wants to see Raid Timers, etc but if they do, suspect a new SUGGESTION thread to be started... As I suppose you don't play perma-death, I suppose you aren't interested!! :p

However, as the penalty for death when playing perma-death is quite steep, enforcing honesty, imho, is paramount.

Hokiewa
03-02-2011, 03:57 PM
Not sure why anyone wants to see Raid Timers, etc but if they do, suspect a new SUGGESTION thread to be started... As I suppose you don't play perma-death, I suppose you aren't interested!! :p

However, as the penalty for death when playing perma-death is quite steep, enforcing honesty, imho, is paramount.

That made me laugh.

Phidius
03-02-2011, 04:09 PM
Ah, this is about bragging rights.

Not interested.

der_kluge
03-02-2011, 04:10 PM
I'm not familiar with the permadeath rules. I got invited to a group doing permadeath one time, and one of the guys died, and they raised him. I don't know if he had to go delete that character later that night, or what. Maybe unless the party completely wipes do they consider it a permanent death?

Maybe different groups have different rules around that.

It seems kind of artificial to me. I mean, the game grants you the facility to resurrect. That doesn't seem to violate any verisimilitude - especially not in a world where you can breathe underwater and throw fireballs.

Where it tends to lose grasp with reality is if the party wipes, recalls out, rests at the Rusty Nail, and then heads back in to finish the job. Seems like you could also rule that a completion by even a single individual would be OK, since that one guy could theoretically return to town with everyone's bodies for resurrection by the Silver Flame once you get there. Again, that's a service that's provided free of charge within the city, so it also doesn't seem to break any verisimilitude rules.

That aside, I'm in favor of creating tools to let people do permadeath. I think it's a cool option, and knowing how many times you do would certainly be kind of cool, regardless of whether or not you played PD or not.

Cyr
03-02-2011, 04:15 PM
Yet another can we get more permadeath support threads.

For pities sake, don't you have a bio for that sort of thing. If your a permadeath player I would hope you are not dying so often that updating your bio would be overly burdensome...

Zaal
03-02-2011, 04:32 PM
That made me laugh.

Which part?

Zaal
03-02-2011, 04:33 PM
Ah, this is about bragging rights.

Not sure what you are referring to but for me, not about bragging rights.

Ungood
03-02-2011, 04:49 PM
I remember an old D&D game, Dungeon Hack, I think it was called, that had an option for "Character Death Real" since it was a solo game, if you died, all your saves got deleted and you were totally dead. (I found this totally annoying)

Might be an option for the Developers to put something like this into the game, where there was a Permadeath option at the creation screen. That way, if a player dies, and are not raised by "proper" means (leaving this open to Turbine to decide what "Proper Means" might be), the character gets deleted automatically. Or if players exceed their death allowances the character gets deleted. However, there should be no way to check their numbers, that way, players have to keep track of them themselves, which would add a nice challenge to the whole deal, don't you think?

Maybe throw up little "Skulls" next to the name, where TR wings are, so people know they are permadeath, of course it would have to be an account option sold in the store, and free to ViP, like most other things. But it has it's place in the scheme of things.

cdbd3rd
03-02-2011, 04:59 PM
In DDO (as in PnP) if you're playing with someone you have to force to be honest, you're in the wrong group.

Could say more, but that's pretty much the core of it all.