PDA

View Full Version : Bard, Elvish Arcane Fluidity and Shield ASF

Dystarin
03-02-2011, 02:39 AM
I recently got the Swashbuckler from the event, hoping it will have, as a light shield, only 5% Arcane Spell Failure.

I discovered it has a 15% ASF. So i'm asking myself a question : does the Elvish Arcane Fluidity Enhancement line reduce a Shield ASF ?
The description states that it reduces only Light Armor ASF.

So is it interesting to GR my spellsinger from Human to Drow ? I would surely do it if i could use this Epic Swashbuckler without impairing my CC / Heal abilities...

elujin
03-02-2011, 02:47 AM
bards can cast perfectly in light armor and with ligh shields

Dystarin
03-02-2011, 07:19 AM
I'm afraid that is incorrect.

Of course Bards do not fear any Armor ASF, class privilege.
But only Mithral Light Shield has an Arcane Spell Failure of 0%.
With each and every other type of shield, i fail to cast some spells.

My only point here is : would this enhancement line work to reduce Shield ASF while it states it applies to light armors ?

kaleid0star
03-02-2011, 07:25 AM
My only point here is : would this enhancement line work to reduce Shield ASF while it states it applies to light armors ?

You already answered your question

coolpenguin410
03-02-2011, 07:41 AM
So is it interesting to GR my spellsinger from Human to Drow ?

Do you mean TR or reroll? You cannot change your race with a GR.

Nephilia
03-02-2011, 07:46 AM
Elven Arcane Fluidity :

1st tier: -5% for light armor
2nd tier: - 10% for light armor, -5% for medium armor
3rd tier: -15% for light armor, -10% for medium armor, -5% for heavy armor and shield (this means that if u're wearing an armor with 35% and a shield with 15% your ASF will be 40%)
4th tier: -20% for light armor, -15% for medium armor, -10% for heavy armor and shield

Now u can ignore the ASF on light armor and medium in mithral armors (or medium and heavy in mithral if u're a WC).
But, about shield, your epic swashbuckler will still had 5% ASF even if u got all the 4 tier of EAF.
My suggestion: fill the blue slot with -15%ASF ;)

unbongwah
03-02-2011, 08:57 AM
Bear in mind ASF only affects arcane spells with a somatic component (http://ddowiki.com/page/Somatic_component); some bard spells have none. So you would still be able to cast at least some spells without worrying about ASF.

Otherwise, though, I'd follow Nephilia's suggestion.