PDA

View Full Version : Augment Ideas

Cyr
02-28-2011, 03:15 PM
Let me say that the concept of the augment slots for epic items was a very good base idea. Like all good base ideas though the heart is in the details. So here are my suggestions for augments.

1) Much more rare drops of augment crystals. Have these all throughout epic with the odds of specific ones being higher in specific content. Also keep a lot of these as only available from rare drops or some form of meaningful trade in (ie not just tokens).

2) New Augment Slot types. Right now we have colorless, red, yellow, blue, and the combinations of those colors. I would like to see different tiers of those slots starting to appear on items. These tiers would be 'minor', 'lesser', normal, 'improved', 'greater', and 'epic' or something of the sort. Augments could be slotted in a slot of the appropriate tier or a lesser tier. This opens up lots of design scope for highly customizable items with strong powers to choose from.

3) Augment crystals in events instead of epic items. This is to reduce the odds of a limited time event taking away incentives for people to run the normal game content.

4) New Augment Crystals...

a) Slot Splitting Crystals - Available as rare drops only: Put in a green slot distiller augment crystal into your green slot and have your item changed to have one open blue slot and one open yellow slot (of the appropriate tier see #2). A simple way to increase the potential value of those dual slots while still making tons of variability possible (few will want to wait around for a rare drop on most epic items to split their slot after all).

b) Multiple Color Slot Augments (ie green...) that provide more powerful effects for those multiple color slots. These can be tailored at times to the specific themes of the multiple color slots such as violet being common on shields.

c) Base item improving Augments. Just like the augment that you can currently get to upgrade your epic weapon from a +6 to a +7 except a lot more different available options and some on less common powers. Things like an improvement to the dusk power on a mabar event specific augment or a red augment that changes vorpal to 'soul trapping' a nat 20 triggered trap the soul effect with a fairly high DC. Lots of room for creativity here and lots of options for rare/event drop only augments along this path.

d) Better rare drop augments for all the slot types. These would be along the lines of an 'extra heavy fort' yellow augment crystal that provides 110% fort or an 'improved toughness' augment that provides 25 hp. The idea here being a modest improvement for these rare pulls.

e) Augments to support the different tiers proposed in my point #2. Minor Toughness for example could grant +5 HP that stacks while Epic Toughness could grant +50 hp that stacks. The entire idea here of course is that these greater and lesser slots are balanced based upon the base item they appear on. Also specific strong effects could appear on the higher tiers of these augments such as 'lightning strike' being an epic red slot augment.

f) Versatility enabling augments. These would be augments that change an item to BtA or lower the ML of the item for fun twink gear.

krogyy
02-28-2011, 03:38 PM
3) Augment crystals in events instead of epic items. This is to reduce the odds of a limited time event taking away incentives for people to run the normal game content.

think about how many players will start run epics to fill the slots in the event's "Epics". i know i will.
i would guess the net effect is that more player will play epics not less.

Cyr
02-28-2011, 03:45 PM
think about how many players will start run epics to fill the slots in the event's "Epics". i know i will.
i would guess the net effect is that more player will play epics not less.

That is a generic qualifier of any epic content. That distills down to easy token runs. If you were not doing any epics before I'm not sure what you doing at end game (besides a ToD run every 3 days...).