PDA

View Full Version : Scale Spell Usage in Quests.

stille_nacht
02-25-2011, 09:17 PM
First off, yes, i know that DDO is a party oriented game, however, i respect that some players prefer to play on they own time, at their own pace, by themselves. However, i have encountered something that makes trying to do this significantly harder in some cases.

i notice that casters still cast certain crowd controlling spells that are much more effective against a solo-er than a party. Most notably, when soloing with a melee (my first by the way), i got held 4 times in succession due to various kobold shamans, then died, mostly because i could not move.

So my suggestion is: Scale the proportion of crowd control spells cast by mobs in addition to normal scaling.

6 people:
CC spells= normal
Damage spells=normal

5 people:
CC spells= 0.8 times as many
damage spells= 1.2 times as many.

4 people:
CC spells= .66 times as many
damage spells= 1.33 times as many

and so on. In this way, there is less of a chance of being perma hypnotized/commanded/held and killed.

FlyingTurtle
02-26-2011, 10:00 AM
Kobold Shamans never cast holds on normal difficulty, try running a lower difficulty if you're having trouble.

doubledge
02-26-2011, 10:02 AM
Please Do This For Epics.

stille_nacht
02-26-2011, 10:03 AM
i wana run it on hard for more xp :], and my main worry is that at higher levels everything will be holding me...

(i only play on my fighter when i dont have enough time to party, etc., otherwise i go on my wizard)

knightgf
02-26-2011, 10:10 AM
Kobold Shamans never cast holds on normal difficulty, try running a lower difficulty if you're having trouble.

Assuming that your talking about the harbor quests, the only time kobolds cast hold is if it is a named kobold shaman or its on the hard difficulty.

Sarisa
02-26-2011, 10:26 AM
For low level quests, the best protection against holds and other CC type effects is Spell Resistance. The Phiarlan Mirror Cloak(3) and the Infested Armour(4) are best. Either one will make you nearly immune to holds and commands in quests up to around level 6 or 7.

Certain things are just more unfair when solo'ing than others, like holds, earthgrab, trip, and self-healers. Nothing besides self-healers should really be adjusted by scaling in my opinion.

doubledge
02-26-2011, 10:29 AM
For low level quests, the best protection against holds and other CC type effects is Spell Resistance. The Phiarlan Mirror Cloak(3) and the Infested Armour(4) are best. Either one will make you nearly immune to holds and commands in quests up to around level 6 or 7.

Certain things are just more unfair when solo'ing than others, like holds, earthgrab, trip, and self-healers. Nothing besides self-healers should really be adjusted by scaling in my opinion.

you forgot option #3 drow.

FlyingTurtle
02-26-2011, 10:55 AM
Also, the cleric hirelings will auto-cast remove paralysis you after level 5 or so.

wonkey
03-02-2011, 03:21 AM
If you prefer they don't cast hold, and you want the xp, go elite for those harbor quests. They'll stop trying to hold you, and merely lightning fry you instead :D

TheDearLeader
03-02-2011, 04:10 AM
Is this really a thread regarding:

Changing the entirety of a game mechanic -and-
Reworking every quest based on mechanic changes

Based upon the actions of Kobold Shamans in the Harbor?

There is already Dungeon Scaling based upon Difficulty and number of party members in quest.

Mobs already have :
Lower to-hit
Lower damage output
Lower AC
Lower HP
Lower Saves
Lower Spell DCs

When doing quests solo or duo.

Is that really not good enough?