PDA

View Full Version : How do you respec feats?

EllisDee37
02-24-2011, 10:51 PM
I'm really liking my first character (pally 5/roghue 1) so far but now that I've been playing the game for a few weeks, I've realized that the build I spent countless hours fine-tuning has a couple minor issues. First, I took Weapon Focus: Slashing really early on, and it's already a wasted feat. How can I respec that out to something useful, like another THF feat?

I hear that the first fest respec is free but the others are expensive. Is that per character, or per account?

Exact details of how to respec the free feat and also how to respec more feats the expensive way would be greatly appreciated.

Also, ignoring balance is killing me with dogs. They knock me (in my full plate armor) down on every successful hit, so I end up running in terror from any canines. Except for maxing out UMD, my skills in general are badly mismanaged, but I'm only level 6 so hopefully the damage won't end up being too severe. There's no way to respec skills, right?

Ullysses
02-24-2011, 11:08 PM
To swap feats, talk to Fred in house J. He's under the garden in the north west corner. Near the Dead Predators quest.

To get a free feat swap, there is a quest in marketplace. Don't remember her name, Loxania or something like that, but she's just west of the AH guy. Once you answer her questions you will get one free feat swap with Fred.

The feat swaps cost siberous dragonshards and plat, the size shard and plat amount is based on your level, so swapping feats early is much cheaper than waiting.

Balance will allow you to stand up faster when knocked down, but it is a Str or Dex check to resist the Trip in the first place. Whichever is higher. Many have improved trip and a high DC, even my 20 fighter gets knock down occasionally. Just one of those things you learn to live with! :)

Only way to swap skills is to lesser/greater reincarnate, TR, or re-roll. Don't know what skills you've put points in, so have no idea what to tell you on that...but as a pally/rogue I assume your not going after trap skills. UMD, 10 pts in jump, concentration if you want to cast in combat. Otherwise, balance, intimidate, and whatever with any points left...

EKKM
02-25-2011, 11:05 AM
Ulysses nailed it.

Reincarnation is the only way to fix skills and it will likely cost you Turbine points to do it. At level six I would seriously consider obtaining 1000 favour to get vet status (or buy it) and re-start the character at level 4 if the skills are that important to you. The 1000 TP for the reincarnate isn't worth it for a level 6 character. At any rate, a few skill points isn't going to gimp you especially as I assume you have a second rogue level coming where you can fix them.

If you do plan to reincarnate anyway, don't use your feat swap first as you repick your feats on the reincarnation.

A greater Reincarnation is more expensive but it make the character a 32 pointer if it is a non-drow 28 pointer.

tihocan
02-25-2011, 11:20 AM
Note: see http://ddowiki.com/page/Respec for the various respec options available.

About the feat respec cost: it may seem costly to you know, but be aware that at L6 it is actually very cheap compared to the money you get with at least one higher level character, and thus if you have any friend in game with such a character, you should be able to get help for free. Using your free respec chance is a bad idea (avoid running Lockannia's quest until you need it), because if you ever need a high level feat respec, those can be very expensive indeed.

t0r012
02-25-2011, 11:23 AM
Ulysses nailed it.

Reincarnation is the only way to fix skills and it will likely cost you Turbine points to do it. At level six I would seriously consider obtaining 1000 favour to get vet status (or buy it) and re-start the character at level 4 if the skills are that important to you. The 1000 TP for the reincarnate isn't worth it for a level 6 character. At any rate, a few skill points isn't going to gimp you especially as I assume you have a second rogue level coming where you can fix them.

If you do plan to reincarnate anyway, don't use your feat swap first as you repick your feats on the reincarnation.

A greater Reincarnation is more expensive but it make the character a 32 pointer if it is a non-drow 28 pointer.

aye , this. and while getting that favor farm yourself some twink. run delera's if you have access to it for a carnifex and a golden cartuche.

but seeing as you are only level 6 the other option is simply to reroll now. getting to 6 doesn't take all that long and you can learn a bit more and completely restart your toon from the ground up.

BTW, doggies and other trippers are going to annoy the living daylights out of you for the entire time you are in DDO. My almost capped monk with a balance score of umpteen thousand still spends time on her back. Not a whole lot but she does go down and gets hit while down.

EllisDee37
02-25-2011, 11:47 AM
About the feat respec cost: it may seem costly to you know, but be aware that at L6 it is actually very cheap compared to the money you get with at least one higher level character, and thus if you have any friend in game with such a character, you should be able to get help for free. Using your free respec chance is a bad idea (avoid running Lockannia's quest until you need it), because if you ever need a high level feat respec, those can be very expensive indeed.This sounds like it's one trip to Fred per account, not per toon. If I send my level 5/1 pally to Fred, does that mean my level 2/1 Ranger/Rogue can't see Fred?

tihocan
02-25-2011, 11:50 AM
This sounds like it's one trip to Fred per account, not per toon. If I send my level 5/1 pally to Fred, does that mean my level 2/1 Ranger/Rogue can't see Fred?
Any character can see Fred as much as he wants.
Each character can unlock his own free feat swap by completing Locaknnia's quest (note that once it's completed, you can't decide to pay for your next feat swap anymore, so you shouldn't run the quest before you decide to use your free feat swap).

EllisDee37
02-25-2011, 11:59 AM
Any character can see Fred as much as he wants.
Each character can unlock his own free feat swap by completing Locaknnia's quest (note that once it's completed, you can't decide to pay for your next feat swap anymore, so you shouldn't run the quest before you decide to use your free feat swap).Oh, sorry, I misspoke. I meant to ask if the free respec via the quest is per-account or per-toon.

EKKM
02-25-2011, 12:07 PM
The free respec is per character.

ALso, completing the quest allows you take dragonmark feats on any character you have. I'm not sure if that is account or server specific though.

yawumpus
02-25-2011, 12:49 PM
Also, you can't reincarnate before 8th level (they may have changed this).

Remember, balance only helps you get back up. To avoid getting knocked down, get strong. If you can't get up, I am sorry to say I am one of the ones who advocates lower balance scores. All I can say it is far easier to level a character up through content after you have done it before than it did the first time (meaning the advice to "reroll" shouldn't be greeted with as much horror as it usually is). Make sure that others in your group are consistently getting up after being tripped than you are before doing anything drastic.

Add me to the chorus of saving that free respec (and avoiding lockia, once you have done the quest your next respec is the free one. I've been burned that way already). A respec should be affordable to low-level characters, even if it is your first one. One way to make it more affordable is to wait until level 8 (up to right before you level). The cost increases linearly, while your toon should be raking in much more plat. From 4-8th levels you need to hand Fred an imperfect shard (~1000 fragments, ~1000 plat on Orien), after you level to 9th level, you will need a Syberys shard, which cost about 10 times as much (in addition to ever increasing amount of plat that Fred wants).

PS. Those yellow things that keep accumulating in your inventory up to 1000? They are syberys fragments. Once you get to 1000 (and start a second ball accumulating), put the one with 1000 fragments into the stone of change (outside the bank in the marketplace) and convert it to flawed shards. Take the flawed shards and put them back in the stone of change for a Syberys shard. Take that shard to Fred when you are ready to respec.

Finally, If you go to the 12 and meet the house patron, he will give you a small ingredient bag. It will hold both shard fragments (but not the shards that the stone will return) and is great for holding the stuff that falls in events. I haven't seen advice to grab this bag, so I thought I'd throw it out as well.

EllisDee37
02-25-2011, 01:39 PM
Is needing to respec feats common at higher levels? Are there unforseen issues that cause experienced players to rethink time-tested builds?

Maybe you guys can help me in a more specific fashion. Here is my adjusted feat build: (18 pally 2 rogue)

1: Toughness
1: Stunning Blow

3: Weapon Focus: Slashing Weapons <=== Replace with Improved Two-Handed Fighting

6: Two Handed Fighting <=== Current level (already took it)

9: Improved Critical: Slashing Weapons

12: (Greater Two-Handed Fighting)

15: Power Attack

18: (Extend Spell? Mental Toughness? Extra Turning? Toughness?) <=== Open to suggestions

Can't we hammer down a solid feat build that won't need changing, meaning I could go get the free respec and be done with it?

Note that rerolling doesn't particularly scare me. This 5/1 char is the second reroll. His first iteration got to level 2, the second incarnation got to level 3, and this one is up to six. My alternate toon (ranger/rogue twf) got to level 3 before I rerolled him just last night around midnight, but I've already got him back up to level three. So rerolling isn't the end of the world if I get to level 16 (to pick a number out of the air) and run into a brick wall.

Note that while the 5/1 toon is my first and only character past level 3, and the highest level member of my 20-person guild is level 8, I've been making a killing at the auction house so platinum isn't much of an issue. I'm hovering around 13k mainly because I keep going to the auction house and spending a thousand here and a thousand there to twink out both lower-level guild members and my ranger.

Anedac
02-25-2011, 02:07 PM
Looking at your feats, you have a whole different problem. You can only switch feats for other feats which you had the prerequisites for at that level. Since you didn't have Two Handed Fighting at level 3, you cannot switch your level 3 feat for Improved Two Handed Fighting.

If you want to still go with it, switch Weapon Focus for something like Power Attack, or Extend (my pick out of your list of undecided feats) and then take Improved/Greater Two Handed Fighting at level 12/15 or 12/18.

It'll work out in the end, but you will probably wish you took the feats in a different order as you're leveling up. In my opinion, you're best option is probably to re-roll, fixing your skills as well.

tihocan
02-25-2011, 03:46 PM
Is needing to respec feats common at higher levels? Are there unforseen issues that cause experienced players to rethink time-tested builds?
Yes. The game changes, new weapons come up, new feats are added, new prestige enhancements with specific feat requirements are released, new quests where some specific abilities are very useful come up, etc.

Maybe you guys can help me in a more specific fashion. Here is my adjusted feat build: (18 pally 2 rogue)

1: Toughness
1: Stunning Blow

3: Weapon Focus: Slashing Weapons <=== Replace with Improved Two-Handed Fighting

6: Two Handed Fighting <=== Current level (already took it)

9: Improved Critical: Slashing Weapons

12: (Greater Two-Handed Fighting)

15: Power Attack

18: (Extend Spell? Mental Toughness? Extra Turning? Toughness?) <=== Open to suggestions
Simply replace WF by PA. I don't see why you would reroll, unless your messed up in another area than feats.

EllisDee37
02-25-2011, 10:37 PM
Yes. The game changes,Ah yeah, even though I knew that it didn't occur to me in this context.

Simply replace WF by PA. I don't see why you would reroll, unless your messed up in another area than feats.I messed up my skill points to this point, which is annoying but not a dealbreaker.

I think I'll just stick with what I have, the reason being that that last undecided feat on level 18, I think Weapon Focus is as good or at least almost as good as any of them. It'll end up being that PA is only a -3 to hit.

Unless there's another must-have melee feat that I didn't list and am not aware of, like Dodge. Is that critical, or is there another one I'm missing?