PDA

View Full Version : Newbish

BBrown2676
02-24-2011, 01:21 PM
So, I literally began playing the game yesterday and only played for a little while.
I got through the first non-tutorial dungeon (The graveyard) and sold a couple of things.

I have a few questions that odds are, will become much clearer to me when I play more, but I figured I am here, and some of the posts/wiki articles actually raised MORE questions, so what the heck. (Note that the more I write these questions the more I am answering them for myself, but I figure I will post them anyway just in case I am making bad assumptions)

Now I have played WoW and City of Heroes, Pen and Paper D&D, and NWN, so I know about the general D&D and MMO terms etc. My questions are more about how they are used in this particular game.

I keep reading that I get feats and skills at level 1. But I haven’t seen any of them as of yet. Is this because I selected “Deepwood Sniper”? And if that is the case, where can I find what feats I have and how to use them? Is it on my Character sheet? When I level, do I get a selection screen with the options? I am a Human so I thought I got an extra feat to select at level 1 but haven’t seen it.
Or is it something like you start the game at level 0 and I haven’t even made it to level 1 yet?

I am playing a Ranger…because frankly, that is what I always play…so Using a Bow is paramount…however it seems like nothing stays at range, and the bow doesn’t do enough damage to keep things from just getting to me. Do I have to rely solely on Hirelings or grouping for my actual ranged combat to become viable?

Is there an easier way to switch between the bow and swords? I assume that it is just a matter of assigning them to the 1-9 keys in the slots at the bottom of the screen, but at the moment they are taken by “Sneak” and things like that. Are those abilities things that are more important to have in those slots given how the game plays? Or did they just default there?

I tried to sell some random weapons and other items that I got in the dungeon at a store. But only some of what I had in my inventory popped up as being able to be sold. My only thought is that some stores are only interested in certain things, but why would a store be interested in a Morningstar but not a Mace? Does something getting bound to you make it impossible to even sell?

With equipment, I know that technically, any character can wear any type of armor. Is there something that tells you when it is to your disadvantage to wear something, other than equipping it and relying on remembering all of your stats beforehand?

Is the only way to attack just holding down the mouse button and pivoting around? Or is there some sort of auto-attack that I need to enable?

That is it for now, and like I said, they are probably really easy questions that would get answered with a bit more play, I was just surprised that it didn't seem to be as new player friendly as I thought it might be right off the bat.

tihocan
02-24-2011, 01:32 PM
Yes you picked a default build, that will let you level without making any choice (it's usually not such a great idea, see e.g. here (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=232660) for build suggestions).

Open your character sheet and go to the Feats / Skills tabs to see your stuff.

Note that the Deepwood Sniper prestige enhancement is currently very weak compared to Arcane Archer, and there is no point in taking it except for flavor or if you are confident devs will improve it in the near future.

Ranged combat is overall weaker than melee in DDO, and particularly sucks for at least 5 levels. It's much more effective to just swing a two-handed weapon until you reach L6 and can manyshot + get your first tier of prestige enhancement.

You can't sell rusty / starter items. Just delete them by dragging them out of inventory.

Armor-wise, if you are not proficient, you will get a warning. Ranger can wear medium armor until L9, at which point you gain Evasion, and should switch to light armor to avoid disabling it.

There's an auto-attack (it's in your feat list), but it's rarely useful except in a few static combat situations. Better learn to play without it first.

EKKM
02-24-2011, 01:42 PM
So, I literally began playing the game yesterday and only played for a little while.
I got through the first non-tutorial dungeon (The graveyard) and sold a couple of things.

I have a few questions that odds are, will become much clearer to me when I play more, but I figured I am here, and some of the posts/wiki articles actually raised MORE questions, so what the heck. (Note that the more I write these questions the more I am answering them for myself, but I figure I will post them anyway just in case I am making bad assumptions)

Now I have played WoW and City of Heroes, Pen and Paper D&D, and NWN, so I know about the general D&D and MMO terms etc. My questions are more about how they are used in this particular game.

I keep reading that I get feats and skills at level 1. But I haven’t seen any of them as of yet. Is this because I selected “Deepwood Sniper”? And if that is the case, where can I find what feats I have and how to use them? Is it on my Character sheet? When I level, do I get a selection screen with the options? I am a Human so I thought I got an extra feat to select at level 1 but haven’t seen it.
Or is it something like you start the game at level 0 and I haven’t even made it to level 1 yet?

You can open your character sheet by clicking the "head" icon on your toolbar. There are tabs for your feats and skills there. Some are active and som are passive. The initial feats for your path are toughness and weapon finesse, which is a passive feat so you don't need to do anthing and the only active skill you have is stealth which already located.

http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Path:Deepwood_Sniper_(Human_Profile)

I am playing a Ranger…because frankly, that is what I always play…so Using a Bow is paramount…however it seems like nothing stays at range, and the bow doesn’t do enough damage to keep things from just getting to me. Do I have to rely solely on Hirelings or grouping for my actual ranged combat to become viable?

Ranged compbat is tricky in DDO and to be honest kind of gimped unless you use very specific builds. At level 2 you will get the two wepaon fighting feat which will allow you to use two melee weapons. You either need to learn to kite the mobs a round by running and shooting at the sme time, or switch to melee when they close. Most effective ranged characters in DDO switch to melee when the mobs get close.

Is there an easier way to switch between the bow and swords? I assume that it is just a matter of assigning them to the 1-9 keys in the slots at the bottom of the screen, but at the moment they are taken by “Sneak” and things like that. Are those abilities things that are more important to have in those slots given how the game plays? Or did they just default there?

If you hit "Ctrl and =" at the same time you unlock the command bars and you can remove things you dont need anymore. You can also add more bars by clicking the arrows on the side of the command bar. Only the active bar is linked to 1-9 although key buindings can be added. There is no hot-swap between ranged and melee. When you get TWF (two weapon) you can add weapon sets together in your inventory panel and drag the set to your command bar.

I tried to sell some random weapons and other items that I got in the dungeon at a store. But only some of what I had in my inventory popped up as being able to be sold. My only thought is that some stores are only interested in certain things, but why would a store be interested in a Morningstar but not a Mace? Does something getting bound to you make it impossible to even sell?

You can't sell starter equipment, you need to destroy it by draggin it out of your inventory and releasing it.

With equipment, I know that technically, any character can wear any type of armor. Is there something that tells you when it is to your disadvantage to wear something, other than equipping it and relying on remembering all of your stats beforehand?

If you equip armour or weapons you are not proficient in an icon appears at the top right of your screen, a red explamation mark I think. You can check your feats to see if you are profocemt on a wepaon or armour.

Is the only way to attack just holding down the mouse button and pivoting around? Or is there some sort of auto-attack that I need to enable?

There should be a gold sword icon on your command bar, that is auto attack. There is also a sword icon on your viewing orb that does the same thing.

That is it for now, and like I said, they are probably really easy questions that would get answered with a bit more play, I was just surprised that it didn't seem to be as new player friendly as I thought it might be right off the bat.

In red above.

Also, play with your path build to get a handle on the game but most of them are sub-par are outright gimps. After you get a feel fro the game look around the forums for builds you like and try to follow those.

Good luck!

PNellesen
02-24-2011, 01:46 PM
I am playing a Ranger…because frankly, that is what I always play…so Using a Bow is paramount…however it seems like nothing stays at range, and the bow doesn’t do enough damage to keep things from just getting to me.

Yeah, this was an eye-opener for me as well when I started my first Ranger. Amazingly enough, when you shoot something with your arrows, it becomes angry, and unless it's on a perch somewhere it will generally start heading your way (although it's comical to see a monster raging towards you, get 2 feet away, then pull out IT'S bow and start firing at you :p )

chadj82371
02-24-2011, 01:53 PM
Hi, welcome to DDO! I'll try and answer a few of your questions:

1. You start at level 1 and you do get feats (at certain levels, and an extra feat for being human) and skill points to use (at every level). However, if you chose the pre-made Deepwood Sniper path the game is going to make the choices for you and you won't actually see it when you level up. To see what your feats and skill levels you have look at the Character Sheet (default key is "c") under the Feat tab and Skills tab.

2. Ranger is a good choice for your first toon because they can self-heal but ranged combat in DDO is fairly weak (and, honestly, Deepwood Sniper is probably the weakest choice at this point because, among other things, that prestige class is not finished). There are some really nice bows later in the game that help and when you get the Manyshot Feat it's very nice. But, the rate of fire is too slow to take most mobs down before they reach you when Manyshot is on cooldown (it last for 20 seconds and then you have to wait 1 minute 40 seconds longer to use it again). However, Rangers get the two-weapon fighting feats for free. When you are soloing ranged can be nice because you can kite the mobs backwards and keep firing. But, if you do that in a group be prepared for some unhappy folks because no one likes having to chase after you to hit the bad guys. In that situation, feel free to range and then your best option is to pull out the blades when the mob gets close. You might look at ddowiki.com and review the ranger prestige enhancements and see if you'd like Arcane Archer or Tempest better. Tempest is a very nice two-weapon fighter and, as a ranger, you still get all of the important ranged feats for free.

3. For switching weapons you do want to use the hotbar at the bottom of the screen. It has a scrolling option so there are actually 20 hotbars (or 200 hot buttons if you're so inclined). You can either scroll through them or there is a little botton on the left side of the hotbar that will actually detach as many of them as you want and then you can position them on your screen however you prefer. Also, for things like dual-wielding or using a shield, you can create weapon sets and then drag the set to the hotbar. When you open your inventory, there are several small green boxes where you can drag to weapons to create a set (one for your primary hand and a second (or a shield) for your off-hand). Then just drag the weapon set to the hotbar. Then you can just click in your hotbar to switch between bows, weapons, etc. You can also put things like potions, wands, scrolls, weareable items, etc. (pretty much anything) in the hotbars to make switching and using items easy.

4. You can sell most items to vendors. However, "starter" equipment cannot be sold. You just drag it to an open area on your screen and drop it.

5. Armor. As a ranger, you will only be proficient with light armor and less (this means leather, padded, robes, outfits, and medium armors that are made of mithral). Just watch and see if the item has a red or yellow box around it in your inventory. That will tell you if you're going to suffer some penalty or if you can't use it. Also, at level 9, I think, a ranger gets evasion for free, which will help evade a good bit of damage. Evasion will not work in anything heavier than light armor. Frankly though, unless you really want to grind for gear to get a workable AC, by end-game AC means very little.

6. You can toggle auto-attack on/off by dragging the attach feat to your hotbar and clicking on it or by clicking on the little circle to the left of your health meter that looks like a sword. There's probably a keyboard command too but I can't recall it offhand. You will also have to hard-target enemies for auto-attack to work, otherwise you'll just be standing there. It is really kind of situational. There are some circumstances where you will want it and others where you will not.

Hope this helps. For what it's worth, I would probably re-roll your Deepwood Sniper into either an AA or a Tempest. Search in the Character Builds forum for a build that is new player friendly and level it up yourself. Deepwood Sniper is pretty gimped right now and, while the game-built paths are not horrible, there are much better options out there.

Kinryu
02-24-2011, 01:55 PM
First of all, welcome to the game! It's good to see that you're using the forums.

It sounds like when you started your character you used one of th pre-made paths. This is fine when you're startig out with the game (though you'll find that custom builds will be better). The extra feats that you receive are already pre-selected for you. As you advance in levels, your feats will auomatically be selected as long as you stay on your path. When you created your character you had alloted skill points. When you advance to level three, you'll receive more points to allocate to your skills.

Ranged combat it's quite as "powerful" as other games expecially at low levels. You'll find yourself more often than not having to switch to melee once the creature gets close to you. This is a good habit to get into for future questing with groups. If you start kiting, you won't be very popular with your party members.

Yes, using the hotbars (or slotbars, or whatever you call them) is how you can switch weapons. On the left side of the bar will be an arrow. Clicking on it will allow you to create more hotbars. You can have up to 20 (200 individual action slots). Just create a new hotbar, put it where you want it on your screen, and use that one for something such as weapons. Weapon sets are a bit different (ie. sword and shield). You need to put both items into the weapon set square (green square in your inventory panel) and then drag the set into your action slot.

Check to see if the item is a starter item (if it is, it's stated in the item description). Starter items can not be traded or sold. If you no longer want the item, you simply have to destroy it (drag the item off of your inventory panel). If it's not a starter item, it may be locked (which can only occur if you've manually locked it). If you see a lock symbol on the item, click on the unlock icon on your inventory panel to unlock it. You should then be able to sell the item. As you get better items you'll find certain vendors that only deal with particular items and within certain value. All other items can be sold to general vendors or barkeeps.

If you see a yellow outline surrounding the icon of the item, this will mean that you will receive a -4 penalty if that item is equipped. If it's a red outline, that means that you currently can't equip the item at all because you don't currently mean a certain criteria to use the item. If it has no outline, you'll receive no penalty and you should be good to go.

I personally usually just hold down the mouse button, but yes there's an auto-attack button that you can use. If you look at the red bar that has your health, on the left side of it will show an icon of a sword. If you select it and you see it being highlighted, it means that you will auto-attack with whatever weapon you are holding. All you would need to do is target a creature. I don't like using that, but that's just a personal preference.

Good luck and enjoy the game. :)