PDA

View Full Version : Drow - would a sp regen enhancement line make them popular

Pehtis
02-23-2011, 11:28 AM
Would Drows be more popular if they had an enhancement line that could regenerate spellpoints?

My thinking of the sp regen would be either a small regen bank (say 100 sp for tier 1) that naturally regens (the regen rate would have to reasonable), or it could be via Spell Absorption whereby % is converted to SP up to a limited maximum (say 100sp per tier).

The obvious downside would be potential loss of revenue to Turbine due to less SP pot sales.

Dunno if this would make them suddenly loved. Maybe Elves could share in this too but at fraction to the Drow.

- Pehtis

Edit:
I agree this kind of Enhancement line shouldn't be without some sort of consequence. Therefore, going with my earlier example for every enhancement Tier (e.g 100 SP bank) there was a significant trade off. The trade off might be a +5% (re 105%) extra damage received by magical attacks (because the enhancement immerses the Drow into really feeling Magic effects). May need to tweak the SP Bank and negative Trade off %'s but you get the gist. That may make the player think twice about pursuing the enhancement line.

Gol
02-23-2011, 11:30 AM
Pale Master has done a lot to make Drow viable. They're one of the best choices for a Wizard right now.

Elves, however, are still screwed.

Alektronic
02-23-2011, 11:42 AM
Not to troll but... do drows need more love? They're the easiest 32 point build to obtain. As for elves, they're getting spell pen added to the arcanum enhancement line in U9 iirc. Doesn't help much for melees I s'pose.

azrael4h
02-23-2011, 05:52 PM
No. If you want SP regeneration, there are items which grant that, at a cost. Alternately, drink a pot.

I agree Drow need a little love, but any kind of regeneration is not it. DDO is abotu managing limited resources, quit trying to take away those limited resources.

Pehtis
02-24-2011, 05:58 AM
I don't mind palying my Drow toons and I can cap them as well as any other toon. As most experienced players know it dosn't take anything special to cap any race toon. It's just the other 32 pt races have more useful perks.

It appears to me that of all the races Drow ought to be the most magical (more so than elves). I don't know too much about pen and paper DnD so don't flame.

Alas the Drow Spell Resistance perk dosn't do a lot in the current form of the game. All races can easily get items and cast spells to make Drow SR redundant fairly quickly. If the Drow SR also applied to some direct damaging effects (even if it was limited say to various Divine damage) then that would be really cool.

That's why to keep the whole magical theme I suggested introducing a limited Spell Regeneration enhancement line that would give the race a small arcane/divine edge. I agree this kind of Enhancement line shouldn't be without some sort of consequence. Therefore, going with my earlier example for every enhancement Tier (e.g 100 SP bank) there was a significant trade off. The trade off might be a +5% (re 105%) extra damage received by magical attacks (because the enhancement immerses the Drow into really feeling Magic effects). May want to tweak the SP Bank and negative Trade off %'s but you get the gist. That may make the player think twice about pursuing the enhancement line.

Just putting it out there is all.

bryanmeerkat
02-24-2011, 06:03 AM
Not to troll but... do drows need more love? They're the easiest 32 point build to obtain. As for elves, they're getting spell pen added to the arcanum enhancement line in U9 iirc. Doesn't help much for melees I s'pose.

They are the easiest but then they are the worst as well . Which makes them only viable for people who dont have 32 point builds

Aerendil
02-24-2011, 06:04 AM
Elves, however, are still screwed.

It'll be interesting to see the upcoming Elven changes and how it'll affect casters.
Looks like they're adding an enhancement line to boost SR. Curious what else (if anything) will be added.

Torebro
02-24-2011, 06:08 AM
The only thing I could think of without being too unfair to other races would be some kind of Divine Vitality with a target Self.

This way they would regenerate some small amounts of SP without being infinite, as long as they don't invent a method to regenerate Action Boosts.

Drows are doing fine only what you can get for APs isn't that good, but then all casters have plenty of ways to spend their APs anyway.

Regards Tore

soulaeon
02-24-2011, 06:21 AM
Drow seem fine as they are. Their spell resistance line is really good, and it stack with other SR gear, making them formitable against other casters.
It seems like Half Elves basically would be an upgrade from Drow, and I discussed this a lot with guild members and in a couple threads in the Sorcerer forum. Basically, they have good defenses and the same stat potential as Humans, making them more versatile than a Drow.
Considering Elves are all supposed to be a highly magickal race, I do think they should do more to make that the case. One sulution would be to make Dragonmarks actually do something useful!

Psyker
02-24-2011, 06:24 AM
They are the easiest but then they are the worst as well . Which makes them only viable for people who dont have 32 point builds

They are not "the worst". They are the only race that can start with 20 charisma or 20 intelligence giving them the potential to have a higher DC on spells than any other race. This does come at a cost (to HP's), but it should. I would love to see Drow gain the ability to add to CHA, INT or DEX on the enhancement line instead of just DEX but that would probably be over the top.

On the other hand I can see very little reason to play elves currently. I think a good fix for elves would be to add a ranged alacrity enhancement line...which would help to make ranged more viable and would bring some love for the elves.

Mister_Peace
02-24-2011, 06:44 AM
Drow should have SP regen because it fits with the lore so well. I remember the time Drits ran out of mana and then later, without even sitting near a campfire or going to the restroom at a fancy party, was able to cast Barkskin again.

Edit: Never mind, I just re-read all 61 Drits books and nothing like that ever happened. In fact, in the books there's no mention of mana or spell points at all!

shadowsaun
02-24-2011, 06:58 AM
Drow seem fine as they are. Their spell resistance line is really good, and it stack with other SR gear, making them formitable against other casters.
It seems like Half Elves basically would be an upgrade from Drow, and I discussed this a lot with guild members and in a couple threads in the Sorcerer forum. Basically, they have good defenses and the same stat potential as Humans, making them more versatile than a Drow.
Considering Elves are all supposed to be a highly magickal race, I do think they should do more to make that the case. One sulution would be to make Dragonmarks actually do something useful!

The drow SR does NOT stack with other gear....but if it DID that would be awesome!

flynnjsw
02-24-2011, 07:07 AM
Drow should have SP regen because it fits with the lore so well. I remember the time Drits ran out of mana and then later, without even sitting near a campfire or going to the restroom at a fancy party, was able to cast Barkskin again.

Edit: Never mind, I just re-read all 61 Drits books and nothing like that ever happened. In fact, in the books there's no mention of mana or spell points at all!

I am thinking that this is a joke, but just because; that Drow-that-shall-not-be-named is not from Ebberon. Ebberon Drow =\= Forgotten realms Drow.

Mister_Peace
02-24-2011, 05:00 PM
Well, if players could choose between Umbragen, Sulatar, and Raveneye enhancements, that would be more Eberronny.

Thriand
02-24-2011, 05:16 PM
They are not "the worst". They are the only race that can start with 20 charisma or 20 intelligence giving them the potential to have a higher DC on spells than any other race. .

This does not give them the potential to have a higher DC on spells, Humans and helfs currently have the same potential for DC, this only gives them the potential to be 1 stat point above a human or a half elf.

Even with the Spell resistance Drow are easily still the worst race out there followed closely by elves, mostly due to their absolutely horrid choice of enhancements, A drow caster has almost no reason to choose any drow specific racial line, and other popular builds have little to choose outside of rapier damage.