PDA

View Full Version : DDO starter information

Zectarash
02-23-2011, 09:03 AM
Hey. I’m building this thread to give newer players a more thorough tutorial. You can give any friends (Real life or in-game) the link to this thread for advice.

I'll edit as necesssary.

Since some people will probably be reading this even before their first character, I’ll start from the beginning: the character generation.

Part I: your character

I recommend starting as a Dwarf Barbarian. Barbarians are the simplest class and are good for learning the controls (other classes for a later thread). It’s under the category Melee.

Choose Custom Build. Make the stats (built specifically for 28 point)

18 Str

18 Con

8 Everything else (note: Dwarves only get 6 base Charisma. Don’t worry. It’s not an important stat, don’t invest in it.)

Skills

Focus on Intimidate, Jump, Swim, and at least one point of Tumble.

Feats

Choose either Power Attack or Toughness. Pick the other one at level 3. I suggest Power Attack for the overkill on early enemies.

Choose Neutral Good or Chaotic Neutral.

You now have a character.

Zectarash
02-23-2011, 09:04 AM
Part II: first steps

When you log in you’ll begin on a beach next to a shipwreck. The name of the island is Korthos (Core-thoes; the “oes” as in toast)

You won’t be able to move for the first 30 seconds or so. I normally take this time to set all my shortcut bars and enlarge the chat window (ignore that for now, more in another thread.)

You can either use the arrow keys or the WASD keys. I personally prefer using the WASD keys since that leaves my hand open for the mouse and the buttons hand can hit the shortcuts (it’s hard to left click, hold the down arrow and 3 at the same time).

I opens the inventory.
O opens the Social Panel (details in another thread, not needed to start)
R toggles auto run
T toggles mouse look
Q/tab selects/ switches targets
E interacts with target (in range)
1-0 uses shortcuts on the main bar
Space to jump
Left-click to attack or interact with something close (you’re close enough if they show up in the lower left corner without hovering over them).
Right-click to use mouse look (drag the mouse to steer, great for swimming; more on that later)

After some time of sitting there, listening to that Halfling babble on, you can move. Walk up to him and talk by left-clicking him.

Walk up the path.

When he gets up there talk to him.

As a Barbarian, I recommend picking the Great axe he offers. Open the inventory and double-click (or drag to the weapons slot) to equip.

Break the barrels.

Talk to him to start the next part.

Zectarash
02-23-2011, 09:04 AM
(Extra: you can loot anything that pops out of breakables by using the item interaction key.)

Part III: the Grotto

Walk up the path, smashing and looting barrels as you go. (There’s also a secret cache of barrels; hard to explain the location)

Enter the cave by interacting with it.

Talk to Cellimas. She will cast a protection from death spell on you.

Walk up the ladder in the next room.

Fall down the hole in the opposite wall from the entrance up the ladder and walk a small distance.

Fight the Sahuagin guard.

Pull the lever.

Walk into the big room you didn’t come in from.

The Rogue and Warforged guy come along at this point

Fight the mobs (3 of them)

Swim into the hole and get the key.

Walk up to the locked door and use it.

Go to the Rest Shrine and use it to regain hit points and any Rages you might have used.

Go to the Halfling and talk to him about the trap (Rogues only: you can earn extra xp and learn how traps work by using the search skill and using the Control Panel on the right; you have to face it to use it).

Walk through and listen to the dialogue.

Fight the enemies (Guards or the boss first, your choice).

Loot the chest.

Use the search skill where the Halfling tells you.

Zectarash
02-23-2011, 09:05 AM
Walk through. DO NOT USE THE DOOR YET. Talk to Cellimas for the quest end reward (pick the Ember Great axe if you follow the rest of this guide).

Part IV Entrance to Korthos

Thus ends the tutorial quest. You will start off on what’s known as the “snowy” side of the island. Either skip the plot by talking to Valeria by the docks or finishing the plot line to get to the “sunny” side. Players on the snowy side cannot join a party with sunny siders or enter a duel.

The plot starts with Heyton’s Rest. Talk to Kaya to start it. It’s followed by the Storehouse and the Cannith Crystal (any order). The Storehouse can give the Rugged Belt as an end reward, giving 5 more maximum hitpoints. Also make sure to run Cannith Crystal three times (norm/hard/elite or norm/norm/norm, etc) to get all the Bracers, which can reduce the slashing damage (swords, axes, etc), reduce stabbing damage (daggers, arrows, etc) or give 11 temporary hitpoints and a +1 to hit (Bracers of Assistance, great item).

Use Rage on boss battles. Beware of Fatigue.

Other quests might appear in another thread.

The next thread after this will address techniques every class can use.

Cheesehead67
02-23-2011, 09:52 AM
Thanks for this thread. It's excellent reading.

I just started this past weekend and have enjoyed my time playing this game. I made it to lvl 2 after a few hours. But I have a question. I've tried to find the answer here, but there are sooooo many threads.

- How do I use the Heal/Repair kits?

I think if I knew how to use those my Barbarian wouldn't die as often & I'd be able to repair my own gear thus saving me some cash.

Falith12
02-23-2011, 10:53 AM
they are used to stabilize fleshie/warforged, so they don't die, not repair equipment. They can only be used on party members, and the only way to heal thineself is by healing potions, wans, scrolls, or a friendly divine/monk with healing ki.

How this helps! :)

MrkGrismer
02-23-2011, 03:43 PM

Technically, answered above. But for practical purposes you use them buy selling them to the vendors and buying cure pots. ;) (Or cleric hireling contracts)

yawumpus
02-23-2011, 04:51 PM

I just started this past weekend and have enjoyed my time playing this game. I made it to lvl 2 after a few hours. But I have a question. I've tried to find the answer here, but there are sooooo many threads.

I think if I knew how to use those my Barbarian wouldn't die as often & I'd be able to repair my own gear thus saving me some cash.

You can not use the repair skill nor the repair kits to repair gear. You repair gear by going to anyone who sells the gear (typically a bartender) and repairing them there (it works just like selling them).

Two good things to keep your barbarian from dying. First, make sure you have the rugged belt from the storeroom quest. Second, try to run the cannith crystal quest a number of times to get at least one of each bracelet, and as many of the "bracers of assistance" as possible. Click the "+" key and to bring up a new clickie bar, hit the arrow button on the far left. This will break off the clickie bar and let you put it somewhere where you can reach it. Now each time you run the crystal quest (and get a bracer), put it one the bar. I typically have the axeproof one (-3 damage every time someone swings a sword at you) on the far left, the spearbane (-3 damage every time someone fires an arrow at you) on the far right, and the assistance ones in between. Before a fight hit an unused bracer of assistance till it goes off (there will be a bright ring of light around you) and switch back to one of the DR (damage resistance) ones. You can also use these to revive an unconsious party member (much better than healing/repair packs), just select your comrade before clicking away on the bracer.

Important note: you will not be able to use these (clickable, not the DR ones) while raged. You should also get DR 3/- relatively soon, so this quest doesn't help barbarians as much as the other guys.

Zectarash
02-23-2011, 09:29 PM

Glad you enjoyed the thread, and people seemed to answered faster than me.

My next thread on this will detail methods that work to reduce your repair bills, take less damage, and a lot more. I'll link it when it's finished.
Any positive rep would be much appreciated.
For other people: I hope that you can give some more basic information, as well as more details on the Grotto. I didn't quite cover 100% of it (although 99% is still good enough).