PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming Festival unfair to Premium, F2P players.

Fundamental
02-22-2011, 01:17 PM
Hello there, I'm an active premium player, intend to buy the whole game non-VIP way.
Don't bother to paying a month that's my choice as a customer, not yet TR'ed and I came in with the F2P hundreds of thousands of new player, waves of last years.

This post is about the upcoming event 5 Year B-day party, a great great initiative, by an even better developer.
BUT, I do wanna share my opinion, about this, I Quote;

'Each Characters gift will be elevated one “tier” for each of the following conditions:
Active VIP Subscription: +1 Tier
Founders Account: +1 Tier
Character has True Reincarnated one or more times: +1 Tier. '

So basically, me and all the other thousands F2P turned premium players are completely left out of this equation, and those who have no TR yet, some not even capped and non-founder accounts/stats.
While we have been contributing a lot to aswell! Haven't we?
I understand Turbine would rather have everyone VIP players then Premium players, but the general perception that ' the VIP is better then f2p and premium' lines are dissolving fast and this just feels a tad bit unfair.
I practically own almost half the game or more now, paid with good money, and still in the upcoming event, VIP's are all getting the cake or founders...
These 2 past years were the 'years of the F2p and premium players' joining this game, million+.

So where is my tier 10 Great Dutch Admiral Golden Tiered Pirate PREMIUM Hat seriously ! eh ? :D

We should be seeing these added to the festival rules to Tier upgrade or at least look at them!!!!!!! for the next event.

- > Tier is based on actual time played on the servers these last 2 years, or X time.
- Anyone who has bought something worth of DDO points in the game, will recieve +1 Tier, or something like this.
- Anyone who has bought a crapload of things should get some extra prop for this too.
- Anyone who has reached 20 Cap and has purchases 1 or more Pack Adventure +1 Tier.

Just the TR, Founder, and VIP isn't fair even tho' this is just about a event that has maybe not even that important items I do feel I had to give my 2 cents....

Cause a birthday party involves everyone doesn't it ?

- EDIT

Ignore this whole post I just started playing the festival looks great, wow!
Might been a bit overreacting! :D

- EDIT II

The only complaint I have atm is the maximum number of mineable crystals you can collect, on level 25, we capped at 300 in 10 min.
We worked hard for this and then you just can't mine anything more, wasting a good 10 min on killing mobs for some diamonds etc, yes which is handy, true.
There shouldn't be a cap on crystals, to the very least.

These are minor minor notices, the festival in my opinion is a straight A+ in terms of creativity and compared to the last Night Festival some more varied.
Also props on the items available. Great WORK!

M.

AZgreentea
02-22-2011, 01:19 PM
It was my understanding you can upgrade the hat to any tier using trade ins from the event. Also, the only difference between the hats is the appearance and the doubloon bonus.

but that was on Lam.

Loromir
02-22-2011, 01:20 PM
Hello there, I'm an active premium player, intend to buy the whole game non-VIP way.
Don't bother to paying a month that's my choice as a customer, not yet TR'ed and I came in with the F2P hundreds of thousands of new player, waves of last years.

This post is about the upcoming event 5 Year B-day party, a great great initiative, by an even better developer.

'Each Characters gift will be elevated one “tier” for each of the following conditions:

So basically, me and all the other thousands F2P turned premium players are completely left out of this equation, and those who have no TR yet, some not even capped and non-founder accounts/stats.
I understand Turbine would rather have everyone VIP players then Premium players, but the general perception that ' the VIP is better then f2p and premium' lines are dissolving fast and this just feels a tad bit unfair.
I practically own almost half the game or more now, paid with good money, and still in the upcoming event, VIP's are all getting the cake or founders...
These 2 past years were the 'years of the F2p and premium players' joining this game, million+.

So where is my tier 10 Great Dutch Admiral Golden Tiered Pirate PREMIUM Hat seriously ! eh ? :D

We should be seeing these added to the festival rules to Tier upgrade or at least look at them!!!!!!! for the next event.

- > Tier is based on actual time played on the servers these last 2 years, or X time.
- Anyone who has bought something worth of DDO points in the game, will recieve +1 Tier, or something like this.
- Anyone who has bought a crapload of things should get some extra prop for this too.
- Anyone who has reached 20 Cap and has purchases 1 or more Pack Adventure +1 Tier.

Just the TR, Founder, and VIP isn't fair even tho' this is just about a event that has maybe not even that important items I do feel I had to give my 2 cents....

There has to be some beneift to being VIP!!!!

Fundamental
Thanks for your comment :) Will look into that and if possible, nevermind this whole thread and ignore me. xD.

Thornton
It is still for everyone. I like the fact that occasionally V.I.P.'s get a (small) perk. THEY SHOULD.

Fundamental
02-22-2011, 01:28 PM
'There has to be some beneift to being VIP!!!!'

Well yeah, there is already a lot of.... so where are the Premium benefits? With all due respect, the F2P and the premium players are the players that deserve just as much as VIP's, especially when it comes to their effort in playing this game and spreading good positive word about it, f2p players are all possible premium and vip players and their friends are all possible customers.

If I, or someone buys this whole game premium, that makes me, quite frankly, in my humble opinion, a top tier customer and above or to the very least, equal to VIP status.

Done deal.

bryanmeerkat
02-22-2011, 01:29 PM
My heart bleeds for the free to play players .

As for Premium players

Did you know as well they cant open elite without completing on normal and hard .

Its almost like turbine want you to subscribe to the game.

And I think you may be confusing being left out of an event with "getting a slightly smaller feather in their cap"

Thornton
02-22-2011, 01:31 PM

Well yeah, there is already a lot of.... so where are the Premium benefits? With all due respect, the F2P and the premium players are the players that deserve just as much as VIP's, especially when it comes to their effort in playing this game and spreading good positive word about it, f2p players are all possible premium and vip players and their friends are all possible customers.

If I, or someone buys this whole game premium, that makes me, quite frankly, in my humble opinion, a top tier customer and above or to the very least, equal to VIP status.

Done deal.

I hope this is a joke. So a person that DOESN'T pay a sub. fee is "above or equal to" a V.I.P.? Really?

AZgreentea
02-22-2011, 01:34 PM
It was my understanding you can upgrade the hat to any tier using trade ins from the event. Also, the only difference between the hats is the appearance and the doubloon bonus.

but that was on Lam.
I should have checked the wiki sooner:

http://ddowiki.com/page/Smugglers_Rest_Event
The looks of the hats vary by tier, and the base Scallawag's Luck bonus varies by tier (for example, the Tier 6 Dread Admiral's Tricorne comes with "Scallawag's Luck VI: While in Smuggler's Rest, you gain 35% additional doubloons when fighting pirates.") Besides looks and the level of doubloon luck bonus, the hats are all upgradable in the same way, and to the same values.
All the hats can also be bought in the event if you didn't like your free one. Each hat can have three different upgrades installed at once (in addition to the inherent doubloon luck bonus). The doubloon bonus can be upgraded too if you like a certain hat look.

aurum1
02-22-2011, 01:35 PM
And this one time i went to a concert but they gave all the seats to people who paid for them. totally unfair.

bryanmeerkat
02-22-2011, 01:35 PM

Done deal.

If you had come in here just talking about Premium vs VIP I may of had some sympathy for you .

But the free players are allowed to play the game on unlimited trial . If they do so for long enough most of the game i s available to them for free .
And you some how feel they are being ripped off ?

madmaxhunter
02-22-2011, 01:38 PM

Done deal.

You're finished in Turbine's opinion. No more money from you except for the odd cake or new AP. VIPs keep the game profitable.

Kaeldur
02-22-2011, 01:38 PM
I'm a premium too... Perhaps we could get a +1 for Premiums and +2 for VIPs, but if not I don't have any problems with how they made it... *shrugs*

Zaal
02-22-2011, 01:42 PM

Done deal.

I suppose you may consider yourself TOP TIER but as I start "VIP" in March 2006, perhaps "time spent in game" should be considered the "real" standard for "vip".

What? Not fair? Nor to me is your argument... On principal I suppose but not compared to actuals events... Some might even argue that without long time players such as "yours truly", Premium and F2P might ot even be possible as those of us who've been around for a while "paid the bills" durig the rough times, went it looked like the game was on it's last leg.

Chubsta
02-22-2011, 01:46 PM

Done deal.

I would love to see the long list of benefits VIP's get that are actual benefits.
Yes, f2p and premium players could be future VIP's, but why the hell would they upgrade their accounts if they don't get added benefits.
The rest of this post utter nonsense.

Spoonman457
02-22-2011, 01:55 PM
It is possible to be f2p and get a tier 6 hat, fyi. So how is it unfair that the f2p had to work a little harder than a VIP?

Note: VIP's are the main source of income from Turbine, not Premium no matter how much of the game you bought, as they will continue to pay after they have paid the equivalent to buying the game, where a premium player will never be able to match that amount.

Missing_Minds
02-22-2011, 01:55 PM
I would love to see the long list of benefits VIP's get that are actual benefits.
Yes, f2p and premium players could be future VIP's, but why the hell would they upgrade their accounts if they don't get added benefits.
The rest of this post utter nonsense.

Off the top of my head, not a whole lot compared to premium, honestly. Which is why so many go premium.

Monthly stipend of 500 tp
No additional software imposed limit to gold storage. (we are limited to roughly 4.29 mill plat. unsigned 2^32 - 1)
Able to open quests on elite without having run them first.
Able to access new content 2 days before anyone else.
Unlimited GM support. (take that one as you will.)
Access to all content.

Do they have to purchase guild charters also? I forget.

Loromir
02-22-2011, 02:03 PM

Done deal.

Actually, there is not much extra benefit to being VIP over Premium. Lets see, we get to open Elite quests on first run, premium can buy that option. VIP's get first crack at beta testing HMMM, I've never beta tested. What other extra perks are there? I can't really think of any.

Spend TP's on everything that DDO has to offer and I still think I will have more $$$ invested in the game as a VIP than a Premium member.

Like I said, give us some perk for Being VIP.

And the notion that F2P and Premium players are all "Possible VIP Players". Step up to the plate and become VIP instead of just "Possible". Turbine could use all the support it can get to keep this game viable. When DDO ceases to be profitable, Warner Brothers will have to make a decision as to if they want to continue to support the game. We all love this game or we wouldn't play it. I would hate to see it go away.

dynahawk
02-22-2011, 02:04 PM
I too am a Premium player, and upon thinking that I would not get the full tier of the hat, I was sad.

But when I look at their criteria for adding tiers, those people are well deserved of getting some pluses

Just my 2 Cents

Jaid314
02-22-2011, 02:05 PM
Off the top of my head, not a whole lot compared to premium, honestly. Which is why so many go premium.

No additional software imposed limit to gold storage. (we are limited to roughly 4.29 mill plat. unsigned 2^32 - 1)
Access to all content.

pretty sure they have to buy guild charters (not 100% sure) but they do get those turbine points to do so, if they wish.

but yeah, imo there isn't nearly enough benefit to being a VIP. if i thought there was enough benefit, then i wouldn't be premium, i'd be VIP. instead, i've chosen to be premium. for a brief period of time, i probably spent more on the game than a VIP. but now, i've got pretty much everything i want, and i no longer provide nearly as much income for them. and that's why i think it's perfectly fair for them to give more to VIPs. it's just how the business model works. subscriptions are a reliable source of income, and you take care of them first, because they're the only money you can really plan on. and in fact, the only reason they would consider subscribing is because you're offering them something to do so.

Shaamis
02-22-2011, 02:07 PM
vips should have small benefits for the 200-700 points they sacrifice every month for service to everything

$10/month i estimate around 700 points with the VIP 500 points/month =200
$15/month i estimate around 1200 points with the VIP 500 points/month =700

So.............

personally I went Premium so I can keep all the benefits of my point expenditures, and while its not a path everyone may choose, I am happy with my choice.

Chubsta
02-22-2011, 02:08 PM

Access to all content.

1- Doesn't get you that far. I still buy tp's for reincarnations, bags, tomes etc.
2 -This one I wasn't aware of but should be part of any subscription based game
3 -This one is nice when favor farming
4 -This one barely counts. :D
5 - :D
6 -Once again, this should be part of any subscription based game.

Not sure about guild charters though.

Yep, you are right, not a lot of perks to being VIP. For me it's just easier and I don't mind the approx. 50 cents a day to play as long as I'm having fun. However, a few more perks would be nice. :)

-Chubsta

Edit: Just want to add I have nothing against premium or f2p players. I think it 's great this game allows different options so more people can enjoy the game.

badbob117
02-22-2011, 02:16 PM
This has nothing to do with fairness. Turbine is giving a bit back to players who have been here since the beginning. long term players who have stuck by them and kept playing the game.

A long term multiple tr Vip player who has been here since 2006 deserves a few perks. To be honest it should be a whole lot more then just a hat.

In the end i could care less about a hat and what kind i get. I am just happy we all get to participate in some new fun stuff. Vip , premium, f2p. We all get to kill pirates and reap the rewards. That is pretty fair on Turbines part.

It could be a lot worse!

Chubsta
02-22-2011, 02:19 PM
This has nothing to do with fairness. Turbine is giving a bit back to players who have been here since the beginning. long term players who have stuck by them and kept playing the game.

A long term multiple tr Vip player who has been here since 2006 deserves a few perks. To be honest it should be a whole lot more then just a hat.

In the end i could care less about a hat and what kind i get. I am just happy we all get to participate in some new fun stuff. Vip , premium, f2p. We all get to kill pirates and reap the rewards. That is pretty fair on Turbines part.

It could be a lot worse!

This is exactly it. I have only been playing for about a year and if a lot of the long time vets wouldn't have stuck around I might not have had the chance to play at all. I have no problem with Turbine throwing them a bone.

-Chubsta

Robi3.0
02-22-2011, 02:23 PM
pretty sure they have to buy guild charters (not 100% sure) but they do get those turbine points to do so, if they wish.

Vips do not have to purchase guild charters.

Fundamental
02-22-2011, 02:46 PM
I've edited the post a bit, may seemed a bit rushed but still some arguments I felt were valid to some extend, I respect you VIP's and founders a like. Well after running around a bit, seeing the content Turbine once again amazes me!
Awesome job! Good to see so many responses and an active thread tho'.

Tharlak
02-22-2011, 02:54 PM
We are just talking about the look of a hat, right? Really, this much discussion because you want the better looking hat?

At any rate...

I jumped into todays preview with perhaps my newest character (6 months or so). I have played him A LOT, he's at 20th. I received the top tier hat. I am a VIP not a founder, no TR. I think the F2P folks will be fine if they have been playing their characters.

Phoenix-daBard
02-22-2011, 02:57 PM
You're finished in Turbine's opinion. No more money from you except for the odd cake or new AP. VIPs keep the game profitable.

I am premium but this is it in a nutshell.

F2P = Word of mouth with some conversions to premium and VIP. No direct revenue.

Premium = Former F2P, though it can be argued that you are still free to play as you didn't buy play time but instead access to specific addition content. Revenue is pretty much short term unless desirable packs and content keep coming out.

VIP = In for the long haul. These people have made a long term commitment to pay to play and are the long term steady revenue source for the game. Loyalty should be rewarded.

Asketes
02-22-2011, 02:58 PM

LOL

it's my choice as a non-paying customer to complain!

RAWR

deal with it

Seikojin
02-22-2011, 02:59 PM

- EDIT

The hat bonuses are not really worth waambulancing over. The bonuses help with the event. Oh, I see you realized that and retracted. LOL

As far as vip and perks. I think VIP should get more perks. Like bday cakes every year and double 'treats' on events. One other perk VIP's get being able to use 5 hirelings without gold contracts. The elite open is almost enough to go vip if you want to get the most exp for your runs.

Lerincho
02-22-2011, 03:00 PM
Wisemen say, life is unfair.

Nebuchanezzar
02-22-2011, 03:03 PM
Didn't read all the responses but my findings are based on being Premium.

Main account - couple years old/Premium - so far all characters are receiving the top tier Tricorne hat.

2nd Acct(sons) - about a year old/Premium - all (even new characters recently made) are receiving the Chapeau(Tier 4 hat)

3rd Acct(mules/event test) - 4days old/F2P - both received the Swabby's Kerchief

It appears to be account age moreso than character age from my findings as my 2nd account has 2 characters made at creation and 2 more made in the last 6 months, all received the same Chapeau.

I haven't tried all the characters on my main account but will assume at this point even my mules are going to get the top tier hat. IF that proves to NOT be the case I will post again or just update this post.

I can say with 100% certainty that a character created on an account that was started AFTER F2P went live and is under a year old(think my bard is only 6 months maybe) is receiving the top tier Admirals Tricorne with the skull pendant.

*edit*
Ok, found a character I have almost never logged into on my main account and it received the 2nd Tier bandana. This would point to character time played instead of account based purely. Again, Premium on this account and its a Vet char, lvl 4, obviously no TR, not a founding account.

I actually feel it should be skewed MORE in favor of the older players. A tier per year playing the game would have been fine with me. Yes that means that NONE of my characters would get the top tier hat(maybe my TR project but doubtful) and I still think that is very fair. As an ex-VIP I really don't think they get enough perks and non-gamebreaking ones like this SHOULD BE GRANTED TO THEM!!

/end rant
GL and HF all, enjoy the event and get some epic junk...I mean lootz =]

Shaamis
02-22-2011, 03:13 PM

but yeah, imo there isn't nearly enough benefit to being a VIP. if i thought there was enough benefit, then i wouldn't be premium, i'd be VIP. instead, i've chosen to be premium. for a brief period of time, i probably spent more on the game than a VIP. but now, i've got pretty much everything i want, and i no longer provide nearly as much income for them. and that's why i think it's perfectly fair for them to give more to VIPs. it's just how the business model works. subscriptions are a reliable source of income, and you take care of them first, because they're the only money you can really plan on. and in fact, the only reason they would consider subscribing is because you're offering them something to do so.

F2P/Premiums have to buy guild charters, so no spur of the moment guildname fun (which I liked when I was VIP.)

VIPs can also open on elite now, and Premiums have to open on norm. This is a benefit I really dont care about, so it doesnt bother me, but some people really want this w/o going VIP.

10 Character slots for VIPs: 6 more character slots than Premium members is also a nice VIP benefit. Thats a 2300+ TP benefit right off of the bat. pretty nice if you are an altoholic (raises hand)

Joint bank slot, 20 spaces is currently a 1700TP benefit, free to VIPs, not to Premiums or F2Ps.

Adventure Packs: pretty much anything past 10+ lvl is free to VIPs, but costs TP to Premiums. there is easily 8000+ TP in benefits right there.

Races & Classes: there are a LOT of TPs there just for Warforged Monks or Drow Favored Souls, which arent overpowered, but a nice option to have.

Turbine doesnt allow VIPs to see all of the options they receive for free, and that uncertainty keeps a lot of VIPs paying. ......

PM me with your premium question, and I'll do my best to answer it.

I have 26 character slots, all race/class options, and 85% of all adventure packs, I'm never going back to VIP.

SableShadow
02-22-2011, 03:14 PM
We are just talking about the look of a hat, right? Really, this much discussion because you want the better looking hat?

Well, of course! :eek:

~o Hey kid where'd you get the lid
Where'd you get a lid like that
If I told you why would you tell me where
I could find a hat like that

Hey old chap where'd you get the cap
Where'd you get a cap like that

Oh a hat is a hat
A topper is a topper and you can't top that
So if you got the bread I say
Why not spend it on something for your head

Hey Herby where'd you get the derby
Where'd you get a hat like that

Oh a hat is a hat
A topper is a topper and you can't top that
So if you got the bread I say
Why not spend it on something for your head

Hey Miss let me ask you this
Where'd you get a hat like that
I could find a hat like that o~

:D

Fundamental
02-22-2011, 03:22 PM
In Crystal Cove right now, voice work is amazing haha!

Kobold Union Worker says, 'A small step for Kobold, a huge leap for Koboldkind!'

this is really awesome!!!

doubledge
02-22-2011, 03:24 PM
IS it on sarlona NOW?

Drakos
02-22-2011, 03:59 PM
Lets not forget all the money that those long term players sunk intot the game before F2P was even a consideration. I thing an aniversary event is the perfect time to throw a bone to the long term players that have supported the game through thick and thin. Look at the bonuses, 1) Founders, hello been around forever paying the $15 month for most of that 5 years, 2) VIP's, currently putting their money where their mouth is and making a continuing commitment to do so, and 3) TR at least once, may not especially denote long term player, but at least they are a regular player.

People keep talking about all the money that Premimum players have put into buying the packs/races/classes. Most VIP players are long term pre-f2p players whou have easily put much more into the game that it takes to buy that stuff with TP's. Me personally, I am VIP, I went premimum for 2 months, bought everything that they wouldn't let me buy as VIP, then went back to VIP. Even as a VIP I still spend $100/mo beyond the subscription fee to buy extra TP's (shen they are on sale). So, yeah, as a Founder and a VIP I feel a little vindicated when those who supported the game for a long time, and contine to, are recognized.

Missing_Minds
02-22-2011, 04:06 PM
Wisemen say, life is unfair.

People say the glass is half full, or the say it is half empty.

The scientist/engineers realizes the proverbial glass is always full. Half with gas, and the other half typically a liquid.

I want to know what that liquid is. A glass half full/empty of a good drink is still 50% more good drink than what I had previous.

Dartwick
02-22-2011, 04:11 PM
We VIPs are paying a monthly subscription. How is it "unfair" when we get something due to that?

Go away cry baby.

justplayingthegame
02-22-2011, 04:13 PM

why?
I was VIP from launch, and never seen a bonus to paying monthly as opposed to buying all the packs I want.

justplayingthegame
02-22-2011, 04:15 PM
My heart bleeds for the free to play players .
As for Premium players
Did you know as well they cant open elite without completing on normal and hard .
"

thats too funny.
considering it was that way for 4 years.

justplayingthegame
02-22-2011, 04:20 PM
It is possible to be f2p and get a tier 6 hat, fyi. So how is it unfair that the f2p had to work a little harder than a VIP?

Note: VIP's are the main source of income from Turbine, not Premium no matter how much of the game you bought, as they will continue to pay after they have paid the equivalent to buying the game, where a premium player will never be able to match that amount.

I wish that were true but it's not.
I've spent almost as much since having gone F2P as I did when i was VIP.
granted it will even out a bit over time, but on that note, I don't play as much as i used too.

Lerincho
02-22-2011, 04:26 PM
People say the glass is half full, or the say it is half empty.

The scientist/engineers realizes the proverbial glass is always full. Half with gas, and the other half typically a liquid.

I want to know what that liquid is. A glass half full/empty of a good drink is still 50% more good drink than what I had previous.

a glass only half filled with rum is a glass with not enough rum in it, period.

SteeK
02-22-2011, 05:07 PM

In Crystal Cove right now
You see, at least you are getting to play it, though I realise you have printed a retraction. You may very well have been able to upgrade your hat by the time I even log into this event.

Event preview times in my country 8am - 5pm. That's right. Work hours!
I shalln't even be able to log into it until Friday night.
Why not 24 hours? Why not just start the event already? This sneak preview for me is like getting a birthday present early, but having my arms amputated so I can't open it.

Of course this could have been avoided if Turbine had of announced the preview yesterday. I could have come down with anything then. Flu, stomach bug, apathy, anything!

Thornton
02-22-2011, 05:09 PM
Originally Posted by Spoonman457

I wish that were true but it's not.
I've spent almost as much since having gone F2P as I did when i was VIP.
granted it will even out a bit over time, but on that note, I don't play as much as i used too.

Huh? You spent ALMOST as much as you did when V.I.P., but it's NOT true that V.I.P.'s spend more?

arkonas
02-22-2011, 05:19 PM
Are you kidding me possible vip? ok for starts vip is always paying every month. premium whenever they feel like it f2p no money. So tell me why do you think its not fair for premium and f2p not to get the same treatment. if you were to put in as much money as a vip or go vip then there is no issue. If you put 0 money in the game or maybe 20 here 20 there why should you be treated as an equal of someone constantly paying. vip was made to be given perks to pick it. so it should stay that way. keep it up turbine

Chai
02-22-2011, 05:34 PM
VIP is ~33 cents per day.

Please, think of the kittens.

http://www.itchmo.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/kitten.jpg

Kourier
02-22-2011, 06:21 PM
I am a premium player and I got a level 6 hat... I haven't been playing for that long either. I don't really think this is an issue.

Doganpc
02-22-2011, 06:29 PM
I am a premium player and I got a level 6 hat... I haven't been playing for that long either. I don't really think this is an issue.
Same here, cept my character was only Level 17 with no TR's.

Dogan
Crying over spilt water.

Zaal
02-23-2011, 07:58 AM
There is unrest in Stormreach,
There is trouble with the peeps,
For the PREMI's want more swag
And the VIPS ignore their pleas.

For we VIPS can't help our feelings
If we like the way we're made.
And we wonder why the PREMI's
Can't be happy in our shade.

Lest ye not keep all peeps equal by hatchet, axe, saw, and DM's...

(EEK!!! - here's hoping the revered Three don't see this!)

FlyingTurtle
02-23-2011, 08:03 AM

Sounds like someone got their tier 6. Enjoy your over 9000 skull factor.

My account is less than a year old and I got my tier 6. :)

Original
02-23-2011, 08:10 AM

- EDIT

I think its unfair for vets because it lets noobs get good gear very easy.
It's been proven vets get no love.

You maybe a customer, but your a cheap one.

Cam_Neely
02-23-2011, 08:19 AM
/snip
- EDIT

Glad you changed your mind, but as for your original opinion, its def not unfair to Premium and F2P players, but supplies a bonus to older and/or more dedicated players. From talking with people, most of their main toons have the lv6 hat, no matter if they were F2P, Premium, Vet or Founder. Just a bonus to VIP and Founders to have alts and less played toons get a better hat.

/shake finger
shame on you for jumping to conclusions before playing :p

It's been proven vets get no love.

Love when something is Proven, but there is no proof supplied.

Xaxx
02-23-2011, 08:34 AM
Its posts like this that make me wish that they had put something really special in the event for founders, or at the very least people who had been in before the first anniversary, you know like..... you couldnt access crystal cove or teir 3 versions of the items if you havent been here for a few years, I'd have loved to see all the moaning posts like this. It would have probably wrecked the server for 3 weeks. All this because your an *upgrade* behind on the hat, whereas if your characters played enough time, they'll still get tier 6 hat anyway.

here we are a year and a half after froob launch, and so many people wonder why vets still refer to virtually anyone with a join date of sept 09 or later as froobs even now... well see the op please, thats all you really need.

Missing_Minds
02-23-2011, 08:46 AM
VIP = In for the long haul. These people have made a long term commitment to pay to play and are the long term steady revenue source for the game. Loyalty should be rewarded.

Consistant numbers are nice, but the $$$$ coming in from people picking up pots is the real cash cow.

Chai
02-23-2011, 09:28 AM
Consistant numbers are nice, but the $$$$ coming in from people picking up pots is the real cash cow.

Those constant numbers kept this game alive for 4 years when servers were being merged and there was talk of consolidating all the good guilds into one large guild so people could actually complete raids regularly. This bought time for the mana pot guzzling cash cow to arrive in the first place. Im definately not a F2P/prem hater, and you can glean thus from reading other posts of mine, however, those founders, and ViPs of the past proved they are not fair weather fans, stayed around when even their long term friends left, and every time a new game came out, there was more talk of this one being history.

I wonder what the ratio is of VIP who buy potions from the store to premium who do the same. In either case I dont feel that one tier on a hat is the end of the world, since premium can get the same hat for a little bit more work.

Samadhi
02-23-2011, 10:15 AM
I propose it is unfair to everyone given how boring it is. But whatever floats your boat.

Jerren
02-24-2011, 01:24 AM
I kinda like the idea of the tier being based on how long you have been playing the game, but the way it is being calculated is just fine. As a former VIP, now premium I am just glad that I don't have to spend TP's to take part in the event!

Remember, don't look a gift horse in the mouth! You should be ashamed of complaining when you don't have to pay a monthly sub to play!

Doganpc
02-24-2011, 01:42 AM
OVER 9000 SKULL FACTOR!?!?!!!!

Dogan
aah, good stuff.

Azonalanthious
02-24-2011, 02:11 AM
Are you kidding me possible vip? ok for starts vip is always paying every month. premium whenever they feel like it f2p no money. So tell me why do you think its not fair for premium and f2p not to get the same treatment. if you were to put in as much money as a vip or go vip then there is no issue. If you put 0 money in the game or maybe 20 here 20 there why should you be treated as an equal of someone constantly paying. vip was made to be given perks to pick it. so it should stay that way. keep it up turbine

Ya know, I thought about saying this a bunch of times, but just feel like finally commenting on this tonight -- this argument comes up EVERY time there is a premium vs vip debate (there shouldn't be f2p vs vip debates to begin with, but it comes up there to). VIP =/= constant source of income. VIP = I paid you some money THIS MONTH. But people can, and do, cancel subscriptions you know. There is a good chance they won't, of course, but its not the sure thing that folks always seem to represent it as. Paying something monthly is not a long term commitment when payment is optional -- its not like you took out a 30 year mortgage or something. You can stop paying any time, so the fact that you are VIP does not inherently make you a better customer -- you could be VIP for 6 months, then get bored and go off to play some other MMO -- and you'll have spent maybe half to a third of what an even semi-dedicated premium player will probably spend just on buying one time things alone, not even counting stuff like mana pots. The VIP accounts AS A WHOLE represent a relatively steady area of revenue, but an individual VIP does not.

Now, having said that, yes, there are lots of players who have made a long term commitment to the game and have been paying for years. And those individuals are better customers and do represent a steady source of revenue backed by the strength of their long commitment. Heck, I was one (and actually spend more on the game now then I would if VIP though I'm a premie these days). But that's because they are dedicated individuals who want to support the game, not some magic trait conferred on them by being VIP. I applaud them for it, and agree that they game probably would have lasted long enough to go f2p if it weren't for their efforts.

Not picking on you, btw arkonas, you point was made at least 3 times that jumped out at me in this thread, and very possibly more that I didn't really catch. You were just closest to the end of the thread. ;)

Ok, semi-rant finished, back to the core topic of the thread -- I completely approve of this VIP benefit and wish there were a lot more things like it. I agree that VIPs should get more perks then they do (though don't always agree that those same perks should be available to someone who wants to burn turbine points on them), and this is an innocent and easy area to add them in.

And the event was a lot of fun. I was actually going to get up early tomorrow (well, technically today now) to play it until I saw the server maintenance announcement. So now I get to sleep in instead. :D

Persnoody
02-24-2011, 02:56 AM
If anything, these events and all recent updates have been somewhat unfair to VIP's, it is called VIP for a reason, and tbh I personally don't have a problem with these events, it's just most of my friends in this game have been playing for 3+ years and I can tell how betrayed they feel.

Buggss
02-24-2011, 03:54 AM
....where a premium player will never be able to match that amount.....

That's unbelievably presumptious of you.

(Check the Yellow in my sig before continuing please.)

I played and paid the month-by-month sub (the most expensive but flexible because of financial commitments) for something like 99% of the time the EU servers were up, then paid VIP for about a year in the US. I switched to Premium and bought well over 20k TP's to purchase all parts of the game because the birth of my son meant I may have needed to stop playing for a while at any time. Considering the VIP monthly charge is now $9.99 (about £7-8 depending on exchange rates) I've probably put more into the Turbine coffers then many VIP players have and I see it as something of a long-term investment and expect to continue purchasing more TPs when the feeling strikes me for other store items.

Now the short version, I consider the 2 days extra VIPs get on new content, the "open straight to elite" and the monthly TP retainer to be MORE than enough of a benefit for the meagre monthly payment you make. Also please stop confusing F2P players with Premium players, there's a world of difference and you VIP's already get more than enough extra stuff. ALL "paying" customers should be treated equally, only the F2P players who have never contributed towards the game should be worse off.

justhavinfun
02-24-2011, 04:40 AM
Sorry but it seems to me that most people here have forgotten what VIP stands for. It just happens to mean Very Important Person. At times as a VIP feel that even turbine has forgotten this. Anyone that holds a VIP status anywhere in real life is entitled to and granted certain perks that other people are not. A VIP is normally some one that is perceived to have made a long term commitment(i.e. paying a monthly fee to receive this status).

I understand that the premium players do spend money on DDO, but it is not a commitment. A premium player may spend money, but could quite frankly go years without spending a dime and retain his status.

A VIP spends his money on a scheduled basis, and still tends to spend even more on an as needed basis for TP's. All in all the VIP will over the long run spend more than a premium player. The VIP also receives very meager benifits in return. One benifit that the VIP should receive is priority access to the servers IMO. Nothing makes me want to quit more than trying to log in to a service that I pay a fee for and being told that all servers are full try again later.

Just my opinion take it as you will. But the VIP members to DDO should be treated differently even though this is now billed as a F2P game.

Buggss
02-24-2011, 04:47 AM
Sorry but it seems to me that most people here have forgotten what VIP stands for. It just happens to mean Very Important Person. At times as a VIP feel that even turbine has forgotten this. Anyone that holds a VIP status anywhere in real life is entitled to and granted certain perks that other people are not. A VIP is normally some one that is perceived to have made a long term commitment(i.e. paying a monthly fee to receive this status).

I understand that the premium players do spend money on DDO, but it is not a commitment. A premium player may spend money, but could quite frankly go years without spending a dime and retain his status.

A VIP spends his money on a scheduled basis, and still tends to spend even more on an as needed basis for TP's. All in all the VIP will over the long run spend more than a premium player. The VIP also receives very meager benifits in return. One benifit that the VIP should receive is priority access to the servers IMO. Nothing makes me want to quit more than trying to log in to a service that I pay a fee for and being told that all servers are full try again later.

Just my opinion take it as you will. But the VIP members to DDO should be treated differently even though this is now billed as a F2P game.

Yep ok we're here again.

Your benefits are far from meagre. Consider each time you use your elite entry ability then price it at what all but VIPs pay and see how much money you save.

Your monthly payment that could be cancelled at short notice is much less of a commitment than the 100's of $'s many premium players (myself included) have invested on the assumption we will play long enough to make it worth the cash. Regular payments are nice sure, but larger lump sums also matter.

VIP's do get priority access already, however if you're being told the server's full you're either getting a bug of some sort or the server really is full. Do you believe as a VIP you should be able to expel a F2P or premium player mid-quest just so you can get on?

Of course not.... at least I hope not.

Brennie
02-24-2011, 05:02 AM
I read the Op, skimmed the first page, and ignored the rest.

In response to the OP: I was VIP, now i am not. I joined the game in 2006, but am not a founder. I have a few level 20 character, but no TRs. On the sevrer i am currently calling hom, my top character is roughly 3-4 months old (October or December birth date, can't recall exactly) and has the TOP TIER pirate hat.

I believe this is being blown far out of proportion. if 4 month old characters get teh best hat, then i find that exceedingly fair. *especially* since you can either a) purchase a top tier hat, or b) keep a cool looking lower tier hat (Cause the top tier is hideous) and upgrade the "Dubloon gather rate", which is the only distinguishing feature between them. You can do both of these using the currency of the new event.

TL;DR Character under 3-4 months old need to grind slightly more than older characters. TRed VIP Founder characters who are probably about a month or two old may get the top tier hat too. Whoopdefreakin do. The benefits are small between the tiers, and everyone can get whatever tier they want through some extra Event Farming.

This is *not* a big deal.

soulaeon
02-24-2011, 06:24 AM
They probably did not want to distinguish between premium players on whether or not they were VIP or just bought points. I think those of us that were, especially when DDO first became free, could had some consideration but it's really not that big a deal.

donfilibuster
02-24-2011, 06:24 AM
The VIP and Premium words are horrible mislabeling.
Microtransactions were first advertised as being an alternative to subscriptions as a form of payment.
The labels for account types were simply 'suscription based' and 'points based'.
These are the two alternative ways to pay and it wasn't meant to have one be better than the other.

But hey, VIP and Premium sound much nicer and hooks f2p players into paying.
So if you'll have Very Important Persons better do justice to the wording and treat em like that.
Otherwise just stick to the microtransactions model but be clear about it.

serthcore
02-24-2011, 06:36 AM
Some f2p guildmates and friends got their hat, the top on. They have been playing for over 1 and a half year and without spending money.
So it seems you can get it. VIP and TR helps, but not having it doesnt excludes you.

pd. Sorry about my english

Krag
02-24-2011, 06:40 AM
The VIP and Premium words are horrible mislabeling.
Microtransactions were first advertised as being an alternative to subscriptions as a form of payment.
The labels for account types were simply 'suscription based' and 'points based'.
These are the two alternative ways to pay and it wasn't meant to have one be better than the other.

But hey, VIP and Premium sound much nicer and hooks f2p players into paying.
So if you'll have Very Important Persons better do justice to the wording and treat em like that.
Otherwise just stick to the microtransactions model but be clear about it.

My thoughts exactly.
Alternative way to pay for the game shouldn't be called "vip" in the first place.

Dexxaan
02-24-2011, 06:51 AM
And this one time i went to a concert but they gave all the seats to people who paid for them. totally unfair.

All thats needed to be said.

* Patience..... should be a Feat.

Khorban
02-24-2011, 07:08 AM
^^ This.

Yes, it's great you took the time to post your opinion. But really? You're upset that free to play doesn't have the same benefit as someone who spends their hard earned money every month?

<-- this coming from the guy who was almost every pack thru favor running and a few $ spent since Mod8 Beta.

Like the old adage says - You get what you Pay for. You don't pay? Don't expect a Ferrari. Take your Ford Pinto and be happy *if* it starts :D

Just Sayen...

The *only* thing I dont like about the Tier is the TR Tier. <-- but that's a personal thing. Not worth an entire thread.

patang01
02-24-2011, 07:46 AM
I don't know what's with a free hat that makes people go zoinkers. The only difference is a possible dabloon bonus based of tiers, like how long you've been playing, TR, founders account, VIP etc. In other words - it's a bonus that applies to the event only. That's it. Other than possible look and dabloon bonus the hats are identical in how they can be upgraded.

Second - you can buy exactly whatever hat you want. Using TP or in game dabloons. If you want the best had, you can certainly have it.

Third - run the crystal cove once and get enough gems to turn in for dabloons and you're set.

I'm VIP. I pay for the pleasure of having a few extra days headstart on any new modules released and the ability to open everything on elite. That is about the only advantage I have.

I can't buy any of the packs when they're discounted like everyone else can. In other words, I can't buy the packs cheaper over time until I think there's more value in going premium than staying as VIP.

And as far as the hat goes; it's free - the difference between them are not worth the fight and the difference between one tier over the other is minimal.

Note that even as a VIP I still don't have the best hat on my toon. And I have no desire for it either. I think I spent more time coloring it than worrying what type it is. In fact I'm buying a bandana later since I think it's cooler than the admiral hat anyways.

ladyzerlynda14
02-24-2011, 07:51 AM

I totally agree it is about time us VIP'S got something better then what we get. If the f2p/premium people don't like it tough.

Thanks Turbine for taking care of the people that have been here longer then the Froobs.:eek::eek:

KuRRuPT
02-24-2011, 08:02 AM
I see how you feel and I must say that I am sorry you feel this is unfair to you, but with this said I have been here sense beta, If they were to give you what they give me I would feel this is unfair to me because I have been here way longer, spent way more money then you have over the years of my time with DDO, With that said I feel you should not get what I get because you have not put in what I have put in with DDO over the years...

Khorban
02-24-2011, 08:03 AM
I don't know what's with a free hat that makes people go zoinkers. The only difference is a possible dabloon bonus based of tiers, like how long you've been playing, TR, founders account, VIP etc. In other words - it's a bonus that applies to the event only. That's it. Other than possible look and dabloon bonus the hats are identical in how they can be upgraded.

Second - you can buy exactly whatever hat you want. Using TP or in game dabloons. If you want the best had, you can certainly have it.

Third - run the crystal cove once and get enough gems to turn in for dabloons and you're set.

I'm VIP. I pay for the pleasure of having a few extra days headstart on any new modules released and the ability to open everything on elite. That is about the only advantage I have.

I can't buy any of the packs when they're discounted like everyone else can. In other words, I can't buy the packs cheaper over time until I think there's more value in going premium than staying as VIP.

And as far as the hat goes; it's free - the difference between them are not worth the fight and the difference between one tier over the other is minimal.

Note that even as a VIP I still don't have the best hat on my toon. And I have no desire for it either. I think I spent more time coloring it than worrying what type it is. In fact I'm buying a bandana later since I think it's cooler than the admiral hat anyways.

*Agreed. But then, someone always has to have drama somewhere to feel "alive".

Anyway, as I said before - I don't agree with the TR Tier. And I'm sure that not every VIP out there has TR'd every single Char. Too many Altoholics.

Maybe the TR is there to counter-balance since F2P and Premium can TR? Only reasoning I can think of since I don't consider it a "benefit". <-- Again, personal.

At any Rate - anybody that posts that F2P and Premium don't get the same benefit as VIP and are upset is 1 of 2 things.

1- EXTREMELY BORED and looking for a Flamewar
2- EXTREMELY BLIND to the Fact that VIP is not what it's cracked up to be. <-- again, from the guy who has paid DDO to play since Mod8, into Mod9 Beta - and spent a grand total of $15 since Beta9. But wait, I'm everywhere a VIP needs to be. I just didn't get there as fast.

<-- Sorry, not tryen to be mean - I just have no sympathy/empathy for those who match one of the 2 mentioned above

Zaal
02-24-2011, 08:06 AM
come on.. everyone knows that VIP money is greener than non-vip money.

Buggss
02-24-2011, 09:39 AM
I totally agree it is about time us VIP'S got something better then what we get. If the f2p/premium people don't like it tough.

Thanks Turbine for taking care of the people that have been here longer then the Froobs.:eek::eek:

Once again you're lumping the premium players with the F2P'ers.

There's a huge difference and VIP's get LOTS more than premium and the only reason I've heard so far is you pay more money regularly. The only correct part of that is regularly, as an example of a premium I've paid more than I would've as a VIP already but see it as an investment for the future and see no reason I wouldn't keep buying occasional bunches of TP's to keep contributing to the game.

Buggss
02-24-2011, 09:48 AM
*Agreed. But then, someone always has to have drama somewhere to feel "alive".

Anyway, as I said before - I don't agree with the TR Tier. And I'm sure that not every VIP out there has TR'd every single Char. Too many Altoholics.

Maybe the TR is there to counter-balance since F2P and Premium can TR? Only reasoning I can think of since I don't consider it a "benefit". <-- Again, personal.

At any Rate - anybody that posts that F2P and Premium don't get the same benefit as VIP and are upset is 1 of 2 things.

1- EXTREMELY BORED and looking for a Flamewar
2- EXTREMELY BLIND to the Fact that VIP is not what it's cracked up to be. <-- again, from the guy who has paid DDO to play since Mod8, into Mod9 Beta - and spent a grand total of $15 since Beta9. But wait, I'm everywhere a VIP needs to be. I just didn't get there as fast.

<-- Sorry, not tryen to be mean - I just have no sympathy/empathy for those who match one of the 2 mentioned above

I refer you to my last post. VIP means far too much to them whereas it should be nothing more than a premium player with smaller regular payments instead of several much larger payments which essentially they are.

Oh and
1 - Not at all
2 - What exactly is VIP "cracked up to be"? Other than elite entry, 2 days early access and a clump of TP's what else do you want? Thos things are extremely useful.

Lerincho
02-24-2011, 09:48 AM
Alright F2P and Premi's... let's make a deal. Vets will help you feel more fair about the event, if you stop whinning for Open on Elite, free classes and races.

Do we have a deal?

Buggss
02-24-2011, 09:52 AM
Alright F2P and Premi's... let's make a deal. Vets will help you feel more fair about the event, if you stop whinning for Open on Elite, free classes and races.

Do we have a deal?

We'll let you know but call yourself VIP's, not vets. No-one's been playing the game longer than me (a caveat being the devs of course).

This is all getting a little personal innit? :D

andbr22
02-24-2011, 10:01 AM
Didn't bother to read all.
It is no so bad.
My fighter (none TR, none VIP, none founder) have admiral trcorn (almost the best cap), and character have I think less than 6 months.
My AA will get dreaded admiral.

Caps only differ on amount of dublons you earn for killing monsters. And if I remember correctly you can buy caps for dublons.

Buggss
02-24-2011, 10:03 AM
Having re-read the last couple of pages it does seem to have gone off at a tangent.

Sorry about that, nothing's gonna change anyway so let's all be friends! ;)

KillEveryone
02-24-2011, 10:10 AM

Done deal.

F2P don't deserve anything. They are not paying for anything. They are not contributing anything of monetary value. They are freeloading. They can get what they are offered but there should not be anything special for being free.

Premium can buy what they want. They buy piecemeal.

VIP actually pay more that premium. There really isn't any reason to be VIP except for a persons convenience because anything a VIP can get a premium can also. In very few cases...I think open on elite is about it...would it cost more to be premium but all a premium has to do then is just run the quest an extra couple of times. The horrors.

Even though I'm premium, I do think the VIP subs should get some sort of perk for being VIP.

Buggss
02-24-2011, 10:18 AM
....Even though I'm premium, I do think the VIP subs should get some sort of perk for being VIP.

Well as you said, they do get perks.

Elite access (This obviously means more to some than others but then what doesn't?)
Early access to ALL new content
500 TP's a month (Which for some people means they never put anything more than the $9.99 a month put in.)

As I asked, what other perks should VIP's get.

Find a problem, offer a solution. Otherwise as offered before it's whining and/or trolling.

Although apparently defending your opinion now also qualifies as trolling but if you look back through my post history you'll never find a curse directed at someone or any kind of threat etc.

Narishka
02-24-2011, 10:20 AM
The tier of pirate hat your character receives is based on various factors, but the biggest factor is how much you’ve played DDO with the character in question!

As I haven't seen of what exactly the "various" other factors are composed of, I wouldn't start whining about which Tier your hat is going to be. And as stated in other threads, once you enter the crystal cove you will have lots of doubloons anyway to upgrade any hat to Tier 6. Maybe it will take a little more effort to upgrade the hat to Tier 6 but I can't see the point in starting such a complaint, when the Tier of hat isn't fully dependent on VIP, TR, etc.

I'm a F2P player, no TR yet and I got the dread admiral's tricone, maybe its luck or the mentioned "various factors" I dont know of ^^ So just take it easy

KillEveryone
02-24-2011, 10:23 AM

Elite access (This obviously means more to some than others but then what doesn't?)
500 TP's a month (Which for some people means they never put anything more than the $9.99 a month put in.)

Find a problem, offer a solution. Otherwise as offered before it's whining and/or trolling.

Although apparently defending your opinion now also qualifies as trolling but if you look back through my post history you'll never find a curse directed at someone or any kind of threat etc.

Elite access...wooopppeeeedoooooo.
Early access...only like 4 days at the most and I think it is actually 2 days. Usually they have a hotfix on the day that the premium can purchase the content so the VIP are basically debugging.
500 TP. Meh.

I think that event items should have a tier that only VIP can get and no one else. I do think that F2P should not be able to get all the tiers of any event items.

I also think that you calling others trolling is trolling. Look in the mirror before you start calling other people names.

Lerincho
02-24-2011, 10:25 AM

You realize that what a VIP unlocks is purely for that server, not game wide? Whereas, when someone becomes a premium player, they get it game wide, not server specific? Which one of those has more value, 1 server or 1 game? Premiums end up owning the game while a VIP is still just loaning the game.

Favor unlocks for entire game, not just a single server
Ability to permanently own things currently on loan as a VIP

You do realize that every day another premium/F2P whines about the small advantages that VIPs get right? Constant complaining directly equals whinning on the forums.

You do not have to curse at someone to be a troll. All you have to do is be derogative, dismissive, and derailing.

Battlehawke
02-24-2011, 10:33 AM
Only in the US could someone who has paid and contributed so little expect to be treated the same way as someone who has paid the full amount from the very begining.... I love my country.... but... Honestly... Be for real...

Buggss
02-24-2011, 10:43 AM
Sooooorry I forgot the part where disagreeing is frowned on. Must remember that. I'll be quiet. :rolleyes:

Although I will add that I've not accused anyone of anything, merely trying to manage a discussion without being told what to say and think.

You realize that what a VIP unlocks is purely for that server, not game wide? Whereas, when someone becomes a premium player, they get it game wide, not server specific? Which one of those has more value, 1 server or 1 game? Premiums end up owning the game while a VIP is still just loaning the game.

You're saying a VIP account don't have VIP status on all servers? What part of the game do VIP's need to unlock? They have everything available on every server. Honestly that's not how I remember things being when I paid a VIP sub for a year or so. In all sincerity, enlighten me.

Only in the US could someone who has paid and contributed so little expect to be treated the same way as someone who has paid the full amount from the very begining.... I love my country.... but... Honestly... Be for real...

I'll take the risk and assume you're referring to me and respond accordingly.

1) I'm not from the US as my sig and several of my posts explain.
2) If you add up the amount I've put into DDO since I started playing on the EU servers and moved to the US it's probably much more than a VIP of the same amount of time.
3) PLEASE if you're going to respond to a post do so after reading the whole thing and related posts otherwise posters end up stating and re-stating things and it starts looking offensive which I certainly don't intend.

Lerincho
02-24-2011, 10:56 AM
Sooooorry I forgot the part where disagreeing is frowned on. Must remember that. I'll be quiet. :rolleyes:
That is not what was said, but take it however you wish. It makes very little different to me.

You're saying a VIP account don't have VIP status on all servers? What part of the game do VIP's need to unlock? They have everything available on every server. Honestly that's not how I remember things being when I paid a VIP sub for a year or so. In all sincerity, enlighten me.

No what I am saying, is that when you buy something in the store (i.e. adventure pack, class, race) it is unlocked on ALL servers. Whereas, a VIP that unlocks Favored Souls with 2500 favor points, only does it on that 1 server. So if a VIP decided to relocate servers, that individual would not share all the same benefits from the original server.

Buggss
02-24-2011, 11:06 AM
No what I am saying, is that when you buy something in the store (i.e. adventure pack, class, race) it is unlocked on ALL servers. Whereas, a VIP that unlocks Favored Souls with 2500 favor points, only does it on that 1 server. So if a VIP decided to relocate servers, that individual would not share all the same benefits from the original server.

Ahh ok, thanks for clearing that up for me, you didn't mention unlocking related to favour. However that's the same as a F2P or Premium unlocking something with favour so I don't see how it applies. You pay a sub as a VIP for all server unlocks, we pay for TP's to do the same.

flynnjsw
02-24-2011, 11:09 AM
2) If you add up the amount I've put into DDO since I started playing on the EU servers and moved to the US it's probably much more than a VIP of the same amount of time.

Just to touch on this one point;

You would have to assume that any other VIP does not spend their own money on additional points or have multiple accounts for this to be true. Even with paying for the server transfers (if you did during the CM move), there is the possibility that other VIP's have put just as much into the game.

Buggss
02-24-2011, 11:15 AM
Just to touch on this one point;

You would have to assume that any other VIP does not spend their own money on additional points or have multiple accounts for this to be true. Even with paying for the server transfers (if you did during the CM move), there is the possibility that other VIP's have put just as much into the game.

Yes, I considered that when I said it but knowing how much I've bought over the years I thought it a reasonable guess but put a "probably" in just in case. 90% of what is written on here makes assumptions anyway.

That's an assumption by the way. :D

Lerincho
02-24-2011, 11:22 AM
Ahh ok, thanks for clearing that up for me, you didn't mention unlocking related to favour. However that's the same as a F2P or Premium unlocking something with favour so I don't see how it applies. You pay a sub as a VIP for all server unlocks, we pay for TP's to do the same.

That is not the same. It is completely different from what F2P and Premi's do. Yes you earn favor and get points; however primarily you are unlocking by TPs which is GAME wide, not server wide. VIPs unlocked things with favor (as many of us had the 2500 prior to F2P being introduced) and there for are limited by default to just 1 server. Yes we can purchase the favored soul, but that is not how a majority earned it.

Your "that's the same" is stating an apple is an orange.

Tumarek
02-24-2011, 11:35 AM
The part i don't get is why people are saying VIP is more expensive then Premium but offers no real benefits. I mean isnt that like saying: "We VIP's are all morons and should learn some basic economics"?

As that obviosly isnt the case and not all VIP's are bad at math, I would sum things up as following(from a Premium perspective who has all content, shared bank, 8 slots, 32 point build, most races and all classes...):

1) As mentioned before there are a few VIP things that are really nice... opening elite: While you may have to grind all quest nnnnhe (no use for the elite opner) as double TR, there is absolutly no reason to do this if you are a first TR or non TR. Opening elite is great for XP, Favor loot and such.

2)Do you realise how much it cost to get all content, classes, char slots, shared bank, and extras? If you dont take every deal there is it will pan out at at least 200$... thats over a year subscription. Plus most updates cost around another 10$ to get everything. So you spend a big amount at the beggining and spend money on a monthly basis to keep up with a VIP AND you dont get 500 TP a month.

So premium really pays off if you play the game for around 2 years. At this point it will get cheaper then VIP, but you still dont have the monthly TP and the elite opener.

If you think you will be playing this game for a while and dont care about the opener or the TP, go premium and stop complaining. Do the math and find out what is the best for you. Premiums pay their share and so do VIP... just in different loads. No reason one ot the other has to be treated any better or worse.

Missing_Minds
02-24-2011, 11:42 AM

I've lost track of how many EUbies have tried riding that same tripe.

It is a gamer thing, not a location.

Kreaper
02-24-2011, 11:45 AM
I gave up on reading the entire thread. Much has been said about F2P and Premium members buying points and spreading word of the game. For starters, what makes you think VIPs don't spread word of the game? As for the "percs", they aren't all they are cracked up to be. You grind favor for points, we do the same. We were grinding favor before points were introduced. And the money SOME of you spend on points, some of us spend it as well. 500 TP doesn't get you much. Also, op mentioned the last two years, I spent $360 for membersip over the last two years and about $1,000 over the last five. How much did you spend?

All this over the look of a hat? Really? :rolleyes:

Thornton
02-24-2011, 11:53 AM
That's unbelievably presumptious of you.

(Check the Yellow in my sig before continuing please.)

I played and paid the month-by-month sub (the most expensive but flexible because of financial commitments) for something like 99% of the time the EU servers were up, then paid VIP for about a year in the US. I switched to Premium and bought well over 20k TP's to purchase all parts of the game because the birth of my son meant I may have needed to stop playing for a while at any time. Considering the VIP monthly charge is now $9.99 (about £7-8 depending on exchange rates) I've probably put more into the Turbine coffers then many VIP players have and I see it as something of a long-term investment and expect to continue purchasing more TPs when the feeling strikes me for other store items.

Now the short version, I consider the 2 days extra VIPs get on new content, the "open straight to elite" and the monthly TP retainer to be MORE than enough of a benefit for the meagre monthly payment you make. Also please stop confusing F2P players with Premium players, there's a world of difference and you VIP's already get more than enough extra stuff. ALL "paying" customers should be treated equally, only the F2P players who have never contributed towards the game should be worse off.

Have enough sense to see what is a quote in my post as opposed to whatever it was that I actually wrote. Talk about being unbelievably PRESUMPTUOUS.

THOTHdha
02-24-2011, 12:25 PM

Done deal.

Not at all. A business needs predictable, regular income in order to keep sustaining development. That means subscriptions. I say this as a Premium player with all account options purchased, the people who decide to be VIP need perks.

Buggss
02-24-2011, 12:30 PM
Have enough sense to see what is a quote in my post as opposed to whatever it was that I actually wrote. Talk about being unbelievably PRESUMPTUOUS.

HAH! Well I took another look and you're absolutely right. I apologise. It seems I assumed that as you correctly entered a quote into your post elsewhere you would do the same with all quotes. My mistake.

That is not the same. It is completely different from what F2P and Premi's do. Yes you earn favor and get points; however primarily you are unlocking by TPs which is GAME wide, not server wide. VIPs unlocked things with favor (as many of us had the 2500 prior to F2P being introduced) and there for are limited by default to just 1 server. Yes we can purchase the favored soul, but that is not how a majority earned it.

Your "that's the same" is stating an apple is an orange.

Well to a degree they are, they're both fruit. Everything's in degrees.

Lerincho your point's not including every fact.

Premiums as well as F2P and VIPs all unlock parts of the game through renown, I completely understand both methods of unlocking and what parts of the game they include.

Buggss
02-24-2011, 12:31 PM
Not at all. A business needs predictable, regular income in order to keep sustaining development. That means subscriptions. I say this as a Premium player with all account options purchased, the people who decide to be VIP need perks.

We're all still making a lot of assumptions though, we have absolutely no idea how many VIP's, Premiums or F2P players Turbine have at the moment. Without those figures it's kinda hard to come to any useful conclusions.

SardaofChaos
02-24-2011, 01:01 PM
I got a top-tier hat for my monk just because he's about 7 months old or so. Expected it to require a lot longer than that. The only real claim you can make is that it's unfair for people with altitis, but it's still just a doubloon bonus.

markusthelion
02-24-2011, 02:33 PM

LOL, way to be subtle Snuff. I agree though, f2p players should be happy with A FREE GAME.

stoolcannon
02-24-2011, 02:37 PM
- EDIT

This man has seen the light!

Probably took you about 30 min to get your hat upgraded to the top level.

dodger72
02-25-2011, 10:35 AM
.....and all epic items are bound to account.....

makes all the items that folks have been farming out that are always in game....just about....useless.

Why bother when you can just trade these items around your toons? anything for anyone. all works well...all epic.

One guy last night showed our group that by the end of the day of grinding....6 items...all epic, 5 to the 3rd tier, only one left to get to 3rd was at second....and interchangeable with his toons.

wow....

So...DDO....gonna do that with the rest of the Epic Items in the game too? That way when I bring a rogue to VoN and the Sword of Shadows drops for him I don't have to give it away instead of just transferring it to my pally?

wow....

justplayingthegame
02-25-2011, 11:22 AM
[QUOTE=X, and so many people wonder why vets still refer to virtually anyone with a join date of sept 09 or later as froobs even now... well see the op please, thats all you really need.[/QUOTE]

my join date is 2010.
but i started before you did :P

rule #1 don't believe ANYthing you hear.
rule #2 only believe half of what you see.

justplayingthegame
02-25-2011, 11:34 AM
Originally Posted by Spoonman457

Huh? You spent ALMOST as much as you did when V.I.P., but it's NOT true that V.I.P.'s spend more?

not true et all, I was vip from launche with 2 accounts.
and went premium/f2p not long after froob launch.
I have spent at least as much buying packs, woods etc etc.

granted in the long run I won't be spending as much.
because I won't be playing as much, alas I would have killed my sub, anyway.
BTW I bought one stack of pots when the price was listed incorrectly.
none since.

on a side note I think the guild reknown Idea was one of the worst turbine has ever come up with.

justplayingthegame
02-25-2011, 11:50 AM

ok let me get this straight, you have now quoted yourself as to having paid VIP for a year or so,.
that would leave at least 2+ years you
1 either didn't play et al.
or ,,,
ya thats about it.
so YA might wanna change your SIG about how much you've played.
oh yea.
quit yer belly aching.
and stop trying to MANAGE $hit.

Seikojin
02-25-2011, 12:11 PM

makes all the items that folks have been farming out that are always in game....just about....useless.

Why bother when you can just trade these items around your toons? anything for anyone. all works well...all epic.

One guy last night showed our group that by the end of the day of grinding....6 items...all epic, 5 to the 3rd tier, only one left to get to 3rd was at second....and interchangeable with his toons.

wow....

So...DDO....gonna do that with the rest of the Epic Items in the game too? That way when I bring a rogue to VoN and the Sword of Shadows drops for him I don't have to give it away instead of just transferring it to my pally?

wow....

I would love it if all non-consumable bound to character items became bound to account, non-trade, non-sell. Because they would get used. Why keep more than one SoS when you only need one. Now as it is, in order to get something like that for a few characters, you would have to grind your way to the item for each of them. Making it less of a fun and enjoyable game and more like a job.

SardaofChaos
02-25-2011, 02:12 PM

wow....

wow....
Would you kindly tell us why this is a bad thing?

dodger72
02-25-2011, 05:21 PM
Would you kindly tell us why this is a bad thing?

If you don't get it....you don't have epic items that you've busted your fingers for questing for weeks or months...instead of a few hours.

If you have to ask that sort of question....get a real clue about what a slap in the face these "event" epic items are to those players that actually learned quests and raids inside and out to be able to get the truly cool stuff.

Now I remember why I mostly just read and don't leave too many comments on forums...

SardaofChaos
02-26-2011, 12:55 AM
If you don't get it....you don't have epic items that you've busted your fingers for questing for weeks or months...instead of a few hours.

If you have to ask that sort of question....get a real clue about what a slap in the face these "event" epic items are to those players that actually learned quests and raids inside and out to be able to get the truly cool stuff.

Now I remember why I mostly just read and don't leave too many comments on forums...

First of all, you didn't even read the quote. Which is sad, because it was your own words. It wasn't about grind or no grind, it was about grind on char you want it on or grind on char you would rather grind on and pass item afterwards. But feel free to skip this entire paragraph and move on to a reply ignoring that fact.

Then leave. Go on, we won't miss you. But remember: you have just as much, indeed you even have more of a chance to get these epic items as newer players do. Why? Because you are experienced and are more likely to have at least one capped player. In addition, newer players will still have to grind for the old epic items. Why? Because they're still there. These event items didn't make them go away nor are they leagues above the old items.

waterboytkd
02-26-2011, 01:32 AM

I have epic items that are not event items. Yep, I had to grind for weeks/months to get them. Am I slapped in the face by these event items? Hell no! I love these things. They are way easier to get (and by that, I mean I don't have to spend weeks/months beating on held monsters hoping against hope that I win the lottery and pull what I want; making these items to their full, epic potential is a serious grind still, it's just packed into a shorter time span and has a reward that's actually in sight).

And as for the BtA, that's just icing on the cake. As for making all epics BtA, that has problems. Mainly that many/most of those epics are made from BtC items. If they made epics BtA, you would never see people rolling on that Sword of Shadows, because everyone would just loot it in the hopes that they can make it epic and put it on anyone they want. But that is not an issue with these items, so BtA away!

redoubt
02-26-2011, 11:32 AM

Done deal.

So you are above someone who's paid 15 bucks a month for five years? Why? (I'm not saying you are any less of a customer, but I'm astonished that you would think you are more of one...)

Also, most of the store sales are only for F2P and Premium players. VIPs get no advantage from any of the adventure pack sales (which there seem to be a lot of.)

bryanmeerkat
02-26-2011, 11:51 AM

I hear ya , must of taken you 5 minutes to come up with the plan "ok so if the wizard casts mass hold then we hit them til they are dead ", then we do it again for 12 months Ill have my gear .

All reports lead me to beleive that Epics are not diffcult but time consuming .

Kominalito
02-26-2011, 11:55 AM
'With all due respect, the F2P and the premium players are the players that deserve just as much as VIP's...

actually, no. no they dont at all. when you pay for a service that is exclusive, it has to be exclusive in some way. so no. you couldnt be more wrong here. you accidentally the whole plot.

Fundamental
02-26-2011, 12:05 PM
At least people are reacting, lol.

And if you think I missed the point, actually I didn't it's just my perspective on things.
You VIP players should be very happy a MMO like this gets a second chance to actually reinvent and reinstall a huge new player base.
Most MMO's never get that 2nd chance.
You can say all you want about exclusiveness of VIP's but the free to play folks and the premium folks are actually as important now for turbine, cause they can all be potential VIP players, or long term customers and this game's updates have been coming out steadily, for a large part cause 'DDO is very popular at the moment, as a Free to play MMO, and P2P model'.
Expect the lines between VIP and Premium, F2P to dissolve more and more, cause Turbine will get income by promotion and various means due to more people playing, more revenue.

And the Festival is already a ' Huge thank you from Turbine ' to all the players, new and old supporting this game.
We should start appreciating what we have.
No matter what you are, f2p, premium or vip.

And if you want to pay for services yes, I don't have any problem with that at all.

M.

Fundamental
02-26-2011, 12:07 PM
'on a side note I think the guild reknown Idea was one of the worst turbine has ever come up with.'

Plz enlighten me on that part ? lol.

locus
02-26-2011, 02:22 PM
Sweet. Nice job, Fundamental - making a complaint thread before you even know how the festival was set up, and how easy it was to buy infinite hats.