PDA

View Full Version : Blessing of the Traveler is a rip off

bradleyforrest
02-22-2011, 12:11 PM
This year's egg hunt is giving a number of rewards for the Ultimate Aura that are below the cost of the Blessing. Either the cost of the Blessing needs to be reduced to below the lowest reward value for Ultimate, or the Ultimate rewards need to be increased.

I understand that the lower tiers could get something that was worth less than the Blessing, but we shouldn't be paying more than the value of an item when we achieve the top reward tier.

Lerincho
02-22-2011, 12:13 PM
de ja vu. is it really 2010 again?

Schmoe
02-22-2011, 12:13 PM
Details please?

Gleep_Wurp
02-22-2011, 12:14 PM
its free...

Lerincho
02-22-2011, 12:14 PM
you get some for free, but if you buy from store, they are not priced appropriately.

bradleyforrest
02-22-2011, 12:25 PM
Details please?

From another thread in General

Blessings cost 200 points this year. List what you've gotten so we can learn if its worth spending Turbine points on them this year.

Out of 6 blessings turned in on Ultimate Aura I've gotten:

-2 Medium XP Elixers 190 points
-Another 2 Medium Elixers 190 Points
-2 Supreme Ability Pots 195 points for 5 so 78 Points worth
-Another 2 Supreme Ability Pots 78 Points
- Yet another 2 Supreme Ability Pots 78 Points
- 1 Greater Siberys Spirit Cake 250 points

So out of 6 blessings I got 1 item worth more TP than the cost of a Blessing.

That would be a total of 864 TP worth of items for 1200 Turbine Points of Blessings.

Schmoe
02-22-2011, 03:07 PM
From another thread in General

Ah, I see. The egg hunt is a form of gambling, and you're unhappy about it. The house always wins. I can't say it makes me happy, either, but what did you expect?

Uska
02-22-2011, 03:09 PM
I got one of those repair anvils glad it was my freebie for that character not gonna buy any at 200

Asketes
02-22-2011, 03:09 PM
wasn't the supreme aura and a blessing mostly giving teleport rods last time?

I loved that

Lurzifer
02-22-2011, 03:10 PM
Well got pretty lucky, bought 7 blessings and got out of one of them a 5 stack greater siberys spirit cakes.

muffinlad
02-22-2011, 03:18 PM

I loved that

It was. I got 30 of them, and got tired of it...but then I used most of them...and now I wish it was a good as last year.

Regards,

muffinporter.

Schmoe
02-22-2011, 03:28 PM

I loved that

I remember that! I was pretty bummed when I got a teleport rod from my one Ultimate Aura turn in. Now, a year later, I love it. I would totally take another TP stick over some potions.

ChaosEmperorDragon
02-22-2011, 03:37 PM
Ah, I see. The egg hunt is a form of gambling, and you're unhappy about it. The house always wins. I can't say it makes me happy, either, but what did you expect?

I'd expect for Turbine to want to enjoy their birthday event. How about you?

DragonRage40X
02-22-2011, 03:42 PM
- 1 Greater Siberys Spirit Cake 250 points

... well, don't I feel special. I ended up getting five of those off the free Blessing item.

Sorry guys. :o

Rumbaar
02-22-2011, 03:46 PM
Is the drop rate part of the known issues?

Have they reduced the DDO Store prices to match?

Asketes
02-22-2011, 03:50 PM
I more than likely won't be participating if it's going to be this pathetic

good job turbine

/puke

[EDIT]
if there is a mistake somewhere, i'll offer my apologies. otherwise, it's a complete waste of time and literal money

Missing_Minds
02-22-2011, 04:01 PM
de ja vu. is it really 2010 again?

You know how people are. New shinies and they must have it. I mean it explains bass boats and rednecks.

No.. I easily got 4 times the cakes that I did rods. And I loved those rods. resloc in the refuge and then just self port to meridia. Then again, that 4 to 1 could very easily had just been my luck with dice also.

donfilibuster
02-22-2011, 04:02 PM
Last year the most common drop seemed to be the rod of teleport, and the item to look for was the +3 heart of wood since it wasn't in the store.
What'd be the big prize this year?

Also note it is all luck you can spend big and still not get the good item, while some may get lucky and have it in a few tries.

AZgreentea
02-22-2011, 04:07 PM
I understand that the lower tiers could get something that was worth less than the Blessing, but we shouldn't be paying more than the value of an item when we achieve the top reward tier.
If you dont want to gamble, then just buy the item you want directly. Why should Turbine sell you an item where you are guaranteed to get a different item at a deeply discounted rate.

Embrace the F2P cheapskate in yourself. Just play with the one they gave you and call it a day. ;)

ChaosEmperorDragon
02-22-2011, 04:16 PM
^ Sweet logic in action. /sarc

bradleyforrest
02-22-2011, 04:41 PM
If you dont want to gamble, then just buy the item you want directly. Why should Turbine sell you an item where you are guaranteed to get a different item at a deeply discounted rate.

Embrace the F2P cheapskate in yourself. Just play with the one they gave you and call it a day. ;)

I don't mind getting a random award, so long as the award is worth paying for.

LordDamax
02-22-2011, 11:16 PM
Whats the point if the reward is 9 out of 10 times worth LESS than the cost of the ticket to play?

And its not a simple pull of the lever, it's also work. You need to work for that ultimate aura.

Yes, you can choose to not participate, but isnt the POINT of an anniverssary event TO participate?

Aztek
02-23-2011, 11:07 AM
Whats the point if the reward is 9 out of 10 times worth LESS than the cost of the ticket to play?

And its not a simple pull of the lever, it's also work. You need to work for that ultimate aura.

Yes, you can choose to not participate, but isnt the POINT of an anniverssary event TO participate?

So... like a raffle, a lottery, etc. the reward is often not worth the cost of entry.
It's not that much work anymore from what i read. it's more time than work compared to last year, which took quite a bit of practice to get the ultimate aura and the lag was somethin awful. and my small toons didn't stand a chance without a kind gracious patron of haste/jump (which I was more than happy to do on my wizard in the spirit of things for others).

but yes if you're going to buy them for 200 from the turbine store and get zip i'd be annoyed, so i think they shoudl up the chances or lower the price. or just be a VIP, create way too many toons (guilty) and get a blessing and 15 tokens on each toon and get tired of it quite quickly :)

Eh... who am I kidding, i think this was way more fun than the purple coin jumps because i am better at it and have fun regardless of the rewards. it's a nice distraction from the normal stuff and only take a few minutes per run so i don't have to sink a whole 30 minutes into a long quest etc. when i don't have tons of time/focus.

boricua_in_cali
02-23-2011, 11:31 AM

Exactly. If u wanted pots, or cakes, or shrines, etc, then why not just buy the items u wanted, instead of gambling?

kernal42
02-23-2011, 11:35 AM

Actually, the question at hand is the average payoff. For example, if 9 times out of 10 you get something worth half the cost, and 1 time out of 10 you get something worth ten times the cost, it's still a great deal!

However, by all appearances the average payoff is in fact less than the cost.

Cheers,
Kernal

elixer1
02-23-2011, 12:24 PM
I had fun with it, although I didn't bother doing more than one ultimate aura run with my toons that were under 16th level. In total I got 14 Medium Experience pots, 3 greater siberys cakes, and a ridiculous number of superior ability pots, which if I could would glad sell them or give them to newer members of my guild, but I can't.

Last year I got, a ton of teleport wands, which gave me such an addiction to teleport that I still on occasion buy one from the store for my toons, who can't teleport themselves.

I also got (3) +3 Lesser hearts last, which was awesome, and they weren't bound to account.

I found the ultimate aura run much easier this year. All of my toons ran it without the need for any speed boosts (haste, ER, sprint boost, etc) or jump. Last year many of my toons needed haste and jump pots to get the aura. But maybe I'm better at it this year, and not just that it's easier.

Also last year, the non-blessing turn in's were ok (talking 16th level and higher toon turn ins), but this year they seem to be much better, I got a ton of items that were all ML 16+, and in total I made about 200k platinum with my 16+ lvl toons. (not bad for an afternoon's work). I ran a few times with my toons that were sub 16th level, and I decided it was not worth my time.

All in all, I think I liked it better last year, although it may be unclear why.

Myznar
02-23-2011, 08:15 PM
just wondering, with the MAJOR aura, not the ultimate, i got several potions of elixir and a forge, with 4 ultimates i always got the supreme pots

elixer1
02-24-2011, 09:21 AM
just wondering, with the MAJOR aura, not the ultimate, i got several potions of elixir and a forge, with 4 ultimates i always got the supreme pots

Interesting, I'd prefer mnemonics over superior ability poitions.