PDA

View Full Version : Add glancing blows to the Sun Blade

Tsuarok
02-22-2011, 07:09 AM
Ok, I know that the Sun Blade (http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Weapon:Sun_Blade) is a short sword, which do not normally get glancing blows. However, from the item description:

This golden bastard sword is as light and easy to use as a short sword. Its purpose is to destroy all evil creatures and the undead.

Bastard swords get glancing blows, so I think that the Sun Blade should too.

As this would be neatly inconsequential to game play, I don't think a lot should go into it, but if it is just a matter of going in and changing a line or two, make it happen.

God I'm bored. Shouldn't the servers be back up by now?

Shade
02-22-2011, 07:13 AM
Probably would require more work then its worth.

Since it's internally coded as a shortsword, to make it finessable, they'd have to do some weird coding to add a special case to it.

It also does not take advantage from IC/weapon focus slashing, nor kensai bastard sword specs.. As it's fully treated as a shortsword, so weapon focus piercing.

Maybe if they make a epic sunblade it would be worth the work heh.

re: servers, around 2 hours..

Senator
02-22-2011, 07:20 AM
Actually....

i managed to pick one of these up last night, from the Deneith vendor, what a stroke of luck, i've had one in my bank slot for a while. But i did notice that it states that it is "slash" & not "pierce" ??

Not sure if this has been changed, because i always thought it was "piercing" ?

Tsuarok
02-22-2011, 07:38 AM
Never noticed that. Hell, maybe it already has glancing blows, lol. I'll check it out when the servers are back up. According to the link in the OP, none of the ICs work on it:

IC: Piercing does work on the sunblade. Yes, this is a bug, but it's pretty low on the priority list, so don't expect it to be fixed anytime soon (IC: Slashing is actually IC: Bastardsword/Battleaxe/Dwarvenwarxe/Falchion..., and for this purpose the sunblade registers as a shortsword, so falls into IC:Piercing)

Might be old information though.

Shade
02-22-2011, 07:41 AM
Actually....

i managed to pick one of these up last night, from the Deneith vendor, what a stroke of luck, i've had one in my bank slot for a while. But i did notice that it states that it is "slash" & not "pierce" ??

Not sure if this has been changed, because i always thought it was "piercing" ?

It's always delt slashing damage.

In PnP it's fully a bastard sword, that allows finesse.

In DDO it's fully a bastard sword - except in regards to feats like THF, Wep Focus, Improved crit, etc.. Due to lazy coding.

several weapons actually deal different dmg types then there actual "internal" type. The quarterstaff from mindsunder for example, deals piercing, slash and blunt dmg.

Tsuarok
02-22-2011, 12:22 PM
Just checked, no glancing blows.

And no smuggler's rest guy :(

t0r012
02-22-2011, 12:25 PM
I'll give this a thumbs up.

I don't expect it to happen with the weird coding (like handwraps) but the suggestion is solid.

Eladrin
02-22-2011, 12:37 PM
Glancing blows on the Sunblade is one of the bugs we've fixed for Update 9.

It's still a shortsword for Weapon Feat purposes, however.

t0r012
02-22-2011, 12:41 PM

Win!

Magnyr_Delorn
02-22-2011, 06:40 PM
Any word on fixing Anthem on the Stormsinger Cloak(the one from Attack on Summerfield)? This issue is causing many bards unhappiness.

Ganolyn
02-22-2011, 06:48 PM

It should not be. It is NOT a shortsword. It is a bastard sword that is as light as a shortsword per the description. I don't give a damn about the glancing blows, but the thing should do slashing damage. Having it do piercing makes it only good against ghasts and ghouls. How can this be such a feared undead weapon when it is sub-par against the majority of undead types you meet? Come to think of it, it should be ghost touch as well as slashing.

Tsuarok
02-22-2011, 06:48 PM
Any word on fixing Anthem on the Stormsinger Cloak(the one from Attack on Summerfield)? This issue is causing many bards unhappiness.

I don't think that has anything to do with the Sun Blade... or glancing blows... or anything else we were talking about.

Wicked awesome! :)

Tsuarok
02-22-2011, 08:28 PM
It should not be. It is NOT a shortsword. It is a bastard sword that is as light as a shortsword per the description. I don't give a damn about the glancing blows, but the thing should do slashing damage. Having it do piercing makes it only good against ghasts and ghouls. How can this be such a feared undead weapon when it is sub-par against the majority of undead types you meet? Come to think of it, it should be ghost touch as well as slashing.

It does slashing damage. The reason IC: Piercing works for it is because IC: Piercing is really IC: Rapier, IC: Heavy Picks, IC: Short Sword, etc. Same for weapon focus and proficiencies.

And it is a lot cooler to have a bastard sword that only requires Short Sword proficiency (as many classes get this for free), than a finessable Bastard Sword (because who in their right mind would take Weapon Finesse and EW: Bastard Sword on the same build?

Ganolyn
02-22-2011, 10:24 PM
It does slashing damage. The reason IC: Piercing works for it is because IC: Piercing is really IC: Rapier, IC: Heavy Picks, IC: Short Sword, etc. Same for weapon focus and proficiencies.

Then they fixed it? It was giving yellow numbers against zombies. Its IC catagory is moot. You can't crit undead anyway.

And it is a lot cooler to have a bastard sword that only requires Short Sword proficiency (as many classes get this for free), than a finessable Bastard Sword (because who in their right mind would take Weapon Finesse and EW: Bastard Sword on the same build?

Who's asking for that? All I wanted was the slashing issue fixed and it appears they have done so.

Magnyr_Delorn
02-22-2011, 11:05 PM
I don't think that has anything to do with the Sun Blade... or glancing blows... or anything else we were talking about.

Although I appreciate your... enthusiasm, I think you'll find that I was directing my question at the Dev.

Tsuarok
02-22-2011, 11:08 PM
Then they fixed it? It was giving yellow numbers against zombies. Its IC catagory is moot. You can't crit undead anyway.

All I can tell you is that is says slash when examined. No idea if it's lying or not (wouldn't be the first time).

Who's asking for that? All I wanted was the slashing issue fixed and it appears they have done so.

Your post seemed to be upset that the weapon counted as a short sword in relation to feats. I must have misunderstood either what you wrote or what Eladrin wrote.

Maldavenous
02-23-2011, 12:38 AM

But I just finished fighting through Delera's and Catacombs on my Sunblade and Shield wielding Bard :(

Tsuarok
02-23-2011, 04:48 AM
Although I appreciate your... enthusiasm, I think you'll find that I was directing my question at the Dev.

So direct it at him in a thread about the cloak, or bards, or something remotely related to your complaint. You can start your own thread. You can search for the multitude of threads already on the topic.

If you're directing a question only for Eladrin, PM him.

Enthusiasm?

donfilibuster
02-23-2011, 06:41 AM
The sun blade wasn't as iconic as the sun sword but still a special weapon.
And that's on top of lacking proper one-and-a-half hand weapons.

Missing_Minds
02-23-2011, 06:52 AM

So is the mouse over the UI so you can't attack anything fixed yet?

Magnyr_Delorn
02-23-2011, 08:58 AM
So direct it at him in a thread about the cloak, or bards, or something remotely related to your complaint. You can start your own thread. You can search for the multitude of threads already on the topic.

If you're directing a question only for Eladrin, PM him.

Enthusiasm?

Sorry bud, didn't realize they'd made you a forum moderator. That's a pretty cool title for someone who has been here for little more than a year! Grats to ya! :):rolleyes:

Zion_Halcyon
02-23-2011, 10:44 AM
So, the Sunblade is a short sword, but also a bastard sword, is that right?

Which essentially makes it a lil' bastard?

Magnyr_Delorn
02-23-2011, 12:59 PM
To everyone neg repping me(in an attempt, I suppose, to punish me for attempting to hijack an already dev-responded-to issue), I'd like to direct your attention to this thread: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=291482

That thread is currently on Page 4. Should I bump it, as I've already done twice? In your mind, what is the proper interval for bumping?

The issue, which I assume would be easy to solve given the mechanic is already in place(regenerating bard songs are nothing new and exist elsewhere), was brought up over two months ago. It has not been fixed, addressed by a dev, or put in any known issues.

So forgive me for trying unorthodox means to get a dev's attention.

Tsuarok
02-24-2011, 06:44 AM
To everyone neg repping me(in an attempt, I suppose, to punish me for attempting to hijack an already dev-responded-to issue), I'd like to direct your attention to this thread: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=291482

That thread is currently on Page 4. Should I bump it, as I've already done twice? In your mind, what is the proper interval for bumping?

The issue, which I assume would be easy to solve given the mechanic is already in place(regenerating bard songs are nothing new and exist elsewhere), was brought up over two months ago. It has not been fixed, addressed by a dev, or put in any known issues.

So forgive me for trying unorthodox means to get a dev's attention.

Apology accepted :)