PDA

View Full Version : wanting to build a ranger/somethin...

egerstner
02-20-2011, 06:46 AM
i got a lvl 9 human tempest ranger and want to multiclass with either a fighter or rouge. problem is, I dont know which level to do it at where i can get good perks from each class, or which one i should go for. any thoughts and advice would be cool.

pie2655
02-20-2011, 07:02 AM
Omg!
Dont Multiclass! If You Didnt Already Plan And Build For It It Is A Bad Idea!

Morlen
02-20-2011, 07:11 AM
i got a lvl 9 human tempest ranger and want to multiclass with either a fighter or rouge. problem is, I dont know which level to do it at where i can get good perks from each class, or which one i should go for. any thoughts and advice would be cool.

Multiclassing is generally considered a bad idea unless you've planned for it from stage 1. However, as a Tempest Ranger there aren't really any reasons to go pure. Many Tempest builds are 18/2 or 18/1/1. A Fighter level can be taking at any point really, and the bonus feat you gain is going to be worth it.

Rogue is very often taken as a splash level since Rangers get a fair amount of extra skill points. However, as you are already level 9 this wouldn't be the best way to go. You lose out on a ton of skill points by not taking Rogue at 1st level, and will be hard pressed to get your skills up to par. This isn't to say that a level of Rogue would be useless. You still get a small sneak attack bonus, and you would be able to still get one or two usefull skills up to a high level (Say UMD and Open Lock).

Monk is a very popular choice for Tempest builds, but one that requires a lot of planning and gear investments. You again gain an extra feat, and also your Wisdom modifier to AC if you are wearing a robe/outfit. HOWEVER, if you did not plan on this choice from stage one DO NOT take this splash.

Personally, I took a level of Barbarian on my Tempest. I enjoy the 10% speed increase, the one rage (which I use for boss fights), plus you get Barbarian Power Attack I (+1 damage/-1 to hit.)

All in all, there are many good reasons and choices to multiclass your Tempest into an 18/2 or an 18/1/1. Just making sure you are making the right choices. ^_^

jwdaniels
02-20-2011, 07:48 AM
Ask yourself what would be the purpose of adding a level in either class at this point and if it's worth giving up the bonuses from staying pure.

If you decide to add fighter, that might not be the worst thing in the world, but rogue is pretty much always taken at first level for extra skill points and to open up access to the skills that rogues have as class skills that other classes don't. Adding rogue at level 10 because you have become frustrated with locked doors (or something like that) is generally not a good idea.

If you decide that you really want a rogue level, and you also have veteran status unlocked, your best bet would be to re-roll starting at level 4. Otherwise, you can lesser/greater reincarnate with a +1 heart to change your first level.

NJsteez
02-20-2011, 05:00 PM

Some of the most powerful builds IMO are multi-classed builds, but they have to be well thought out each level in order to be successful. My advice is if your going to multi-class... plan it out from the start, do your research, and use a character planner.

*One more thing you should understand, if you are going to 'splash' any amount of rogue levels, take rogue your first level because you get many extra skill points.*

AndyD47
02-20-2011, 05:25 PM
From my understanding of it,you can splash rogue at any point if you didn't want trap skills.

I.E. If you wanted to catch up on umd only,and get a little sneak attack damage too.

Might even be able to put more points into umd than you otherwise would be able to at level 1,but I haven't tried it out myself.

egerstner
02-20-2011, 06:14 PM
dam, i didnt think i would get so many replies so soon. But in any case, alladvice considered, i guess its just best if i stay on the pure path and just ranger it up. go go power rangers....thx all for advice

Nevid
02-20-2011, 07:06 PM

If you are splashing fighter and rogue, level 10 is a nice level to take fighter. You already have your evasion and barkskin. You can use that extra feat for some toughness or improved critical or whatever else.

If you splash monk for AC (you did not say you were going to, but an 18 1/1 exploiter is pretty common build), I would wait until you have your Tempest II obtained. The monk AC bonus really does not feel so great until you get icy rainments or DT armor, so no need to take it until you can actually use those armors.

egerstner
02-21-2011, 04:03 PM
now ive decided to go ahead and multiclass with fighter. My next problem is i dont know what lvl i should do this at. I want to get the good bonuses for my ranger , but dont want to wait to long and miss out on some good, minor bonuses with the fighter. BTW, 30k xp till im lvl 10 =D...............my first and only toon, also

FlyingTurtle
02-21-2011, 06:09 PM
Get to at least L12 with Ranger for Tempest II and GTWF.

Then take at least 6 levels of Fighter for Kensai.

That makes 18 levels. The other 2 levels, I dunno: can go with 2 monk for 2 extra feats and the possbility of getting enough AC to matter, or if you don't have monk, maybe go Ranger 14 for the level 4 Freedom Of Movement spell if you solo a lot without a cleric and don't have the Kundarak Delving Boots from Vault of Night. OR, maybe 2 barb for even more HP and a bit of rage and DR.

tihocan
02-21-2011, 06:18 PM
now ive decided to go ahead and multiclass with fighter. My next problem is i dont know what lvl i should do this at. I want to get the good bonuses for my ranger , but dont want to wait to long and miss out on some good, minor bonuses with the fighter. BTW, 30k xp till im lvl 10 =D...............my first and only toon, also
If you're only planning to splash 1 or 2 levels of Fighters, it's not a big deal when to splash the first one (but you can probably wait till L20 for your 2nd level).

egerstner
05-25-2011, 07:04 PM
its been a long time since i played but i think im just gonna go ahead and be pure tempest.... DPS baby...just sucks cuz im f2p so im on a budget lol