PDA

View Full Version : Are mic capabilities required for team play?

ArmedCitizen
02-19-2011, 06:54 PM
Greetings all-

I am a new player playing out of Costa Rica in Central America. My internet connection speed is limited and I see problems mainly when listening to the mic conversations of others, at times the lag is anywhere from 10 - 30 seconds behind. For such a fast, team oriented game, this can seem like an eternity. When everyone in the group is using mics for communication, and it takes me 30 seconds to hear what has already been said, people tend to resent me as a crappy player. I tell everyone that I do not have mic capabilities and to type basic commands if they need me, but I feel this is a huge point against me.

I am F2P now, and find myself trying to solo instead of going through the whole issue of explaining my limitations to every new player who joins my group. I love the game and am willing to upgrade to P2P, but the grouping issue is a big one... I guess I want to know if you guys think;

1.) is a fix to my mic delay problems?

2.) if I cant fix it, is there a way to find others who are not mic oriented so I dont always feel like a pain in the azz?

Thanks!!!!!

Wrendd
02-19-2011, 07:10 PM
Voice chat is very handy, but with the limitations that you have then it seems that voice chat is not for you. Personally, I would have no problem with this, and most of the people I play with would also have no problem. But some people apparently DO "require" voice chat, for good or ill.

I reccomend that you continue to play the game, and (as you have said you already are doing) let the people in the group know that you have no voice chat available to you. If they ask you to leave the group then do so, and have no hard feelings to the group you left.

Personally, I make concessions to my party members that ask for them. If you say that you are a poor typist, or that you do not read English as well as you speak it then I will make sure everything I need to say to you is in voice chat. If you have no mic then I will pay better attention to party chat and will try to give you time to respond by typing. If you have no sound then I make sure that I type what needs to be said. Many of my friends in DDO play after their family has gone to sleep, and they have to turn off the sound so they do not wake them up, and I have been in the same boat myself, so I try to be accomidating so that others will do the same for me.

Hang in there, find some people that do not hold your lack of voice chat against you because in my experience more people are willing to work with you than it might seem right now.

Calebro
02-19-2011, 07:57 PM
Hang in there, find some people that do not hold your lack of voice chat against you because in my experience more people are willing to work with you than it might seem right now.

This.
Turn VC off so you don't have all that lag that can be avoided.
When you join groups, fudge the truth a bit and tell people that your kids are sleeping, or that you are hearing impaired or something. Communicating that you cannot hear VC is more important than being able to hear it. The majority of players that you want to be running with will be accommodating.

Truth be told, few quests require you to hear chat. Chat just makes it easier, that's all. Any relevant instructions can also be typed in almost all circumstances.

tihocan
02-19-2011, 08:55 PM
Yes it'll be a problem sometimes for team coordination... you'll probably have to say something like "Hi, be aware that due to tech issues, voice chat is delayed, so please rely on party chat for fast communication".

What I'm curious though is how come the rest of the game is running fine for you... In my experience with crappy connections, voice chat is *less* delayed than the game itself (I hear people talk about how the quest is over while I'm still fighting the boss).

stille_nacht
02-19-2011, 09:17 PM
i play very frequently, and am even moderately well known on my server :], i almost never use mike when not leading a hard raid. I just type pretty quickly when not in combat, and when in active combat it usually doesn't come up.

MsEricka
02-19-2011, 09:33 PM
Voice chat is NOT required

Listening IS required

That is all

ArmedCitizen
03-01-2011, 05:54 PM
Thanks a ton guys, I really appreciate the honest answers!!

sephiroth1084
03-01-2011, 06:07 PM
Had a guildy (for a little while) who was hearing impaired. We did plenty of raiding.

It's entirely possible to get through everything okay without voice, just make sure you let people know up front, and that they've noticed your saying so. My ex-guildy didn't do this, assuming that everyone at level 20 would notice that his player icon didn't show the VC icon as being sufficient (apparently...maybe he just didn't like bringing it up?) and some folks would get pretty ****ed at him. Be clear and upfront about it and you shouldn't have a problem.

Heck, back when the cap was 16 and we were occasionally having really horrendous game issues, I did a PUG Shroud wherein voice and party chat didn't function, and we had to use /say and /tells in order to get anything done. Still one of the more fun runs through the Shroud I've had. :)

LezChap
03-01-2011, 08:39 PM
When I hear "can't do Mic/no Mic capabilities" I think of someone like me...I can hear just fine, but my on-board (laptop) mic doesn't seem to want to pick up any sound...so I have to type all my replies.

So I'd word it that you can't hear voice comms/voice chat for whatever reason you decide works best (kids sleeping/hearing impaired/can only read but not understand spoken english/whatever).

Roman
03-01-2011, 09:13 PM
When I hear "can't do Mic/no Mic capabilities" I think of someone like me...I can hear just fine, but my on-board (laptop) mic doesn't seem to want to pick up any sound...so I have to type all my replies.

So I'd word it that you can't hear voice comms/voice chat for whatever reason you decide works best (kids sleeping/hearing impaired/can only read but not understand spoken english/whatever).

I had the same problem with my old laptop. I upgraded no a newer system and have a headset now, but the truth is I would still prefer using my AKG 702 reference headphones and forget the mic altogether.

But to answer the op.. No, voicechat isnt necessary- at least thats true on Sarlona. The typical pug on this server run raids and epic without much event. VC is fun for other reasons, but certainly not needed to complete a quest.

Solmage
03-02-2011, 12:36 AM
I think HEARING voice chat is very close to necessary. Typing is just fine, no mic required.

I would suggest playing with the performance options in the game, and seeing whether manually throttling the maximum connection speed down doesn't improve your experience some. Couldn't hurt to browse the technical forums for possible tips either.

If you REALLY can't make it work, then you may still wish to leave chat option on - hearing it 15 seconds later is still better than not at all - and just type in chat : "Sorry folks, having audio issues, please type anything important to me." - I'd make sure to type it more than once, like say on the first shrine on the way to Hound or something.

You will otherwise REALLY upset a lot of folks when they take their time to explain stuff that everyone else knows by heart just for the benefit of someone new, and you then go ahead and do it anyway because you weren't able to listen.

My 2 coppers.

fuzzy1guy
03-02-2011, 12:47 AM
Voice chat is not required at all.

Voice chat IS very handy for some quests where rapid cordination are needed. But if you have some experience with the quest even that isn't imporant anymore.

About the biggest demand for voice chat is shroud or hound raids. Plus the cove pirate event, And the last event had zero use for voice chat.

But you really do need to be able to hear voice at least.

ReaperAlexEU
03-02-2011, 06:25 AM
mess about in the settings, i think one of the options increases the compression on the voice, which in turn might make the data stream small enough to get through your connection easily.

there are many players who have no "ears" and its a real pain for co-ordinating a group, especially when things are going south. having said that there are plenty of players using voice who sound completely garbled making the voice commands redundant any way!

being able to hear voice commands is a massive bonus, but its not the end of the world. if you cant get voice working at speed then i suggest you turn it off completely so your team can at least see that you cant respond to their voice commands. i've been in many raids where the leader is issuing voice instructions for the next part and i've been typing them up for any players that cant hear voice, get an important bit garbled by lag, or who snuck out to grab a tasty sammich without telling us they were AFK. written instructions can be read later and are a very good backup to voice commands.

DrenglisEU
03-02-2011, 06:41 AM
Voice chat is NOT required

Listening IS required

That is all

Well said!