PDA

View Full Version : Multiclassing and changing paths

Mwncisee
02-18-2011, 01:19 PM
Hi hopefully just a quick question. I am wanting to follow the arcane archer path but i am going to take my first character level in rogue (to gain most benefit from the extra skill points allotment to put max points in rogue skills as I will be taking just one level in it). In character creation it asks me what path I want to follow but these are all rogue paths. Do these matter at character creation and can when I level up to lvl2 as ranger take the arcane archer path then or is it unavailable to me because I have said I am following a rogue path?

Thanks

Bozone
02-18-2011, 01:42 PM
Almost everyone will advise you to use the customize option rather than using the pre-built paths. The paths will automatically choose your skills, feats, etc. They tend to waste points on some useless skills, feats, etc.

I'm afraid I don't know what happens to the path choices when you change classes, as I've never used them. You are right in choosing rogue for your first level, but I would recommend doing a little research and using the custom choice.

unbongwah
02-18-2011, 01:51 PM
Pick "Customize" so you can assign your feats, skills, etc. manually. Also, if you haven't already, plan your build out using the character planner (http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO/DDOCharGen.html).

wonkey
02-18-2011, 01:52 PM
As Bozone said, if you can handle it (and don't multiclass if you can't), use the custom build option, instead of taking a pre-built.

Having said that, even if you take a pre-built build, at any level-up you can multi-class by talking to that class' trainer. It will warn you that you are leaving your path (and from this point on, you are effectively running a custom build - it won't help you along anymore), and then proceed as if you had been custom all along.

NJsteez
02-20-2011, 05:14 PM
Always make your own CUSTOM path tailored to YOUR needs.

Dysmetria
02-20-2011, 07:47 PM
Hi hopefully just a quick question. I am wanting to follow the arcane archer path but i am going to take my first character level in rogue (to gain most benefit from the extra skill points allotment to put max points in rogue skills as I will be taking just one level in it). In character creation it asks me what path I want to follow but these are all rogue paths. Do these matter at character creation and can when I level up to lvl2 as ranger take the arcane archer path then or is it unavailable to me because I have said I am following a rogue path?

ThanksWhy would you want to splash a level of rogue for a ranger arcane archer? You lose out on the 25% speed bonus to ranged attacks you get for staying pure ranger.