PDA

View Full Version : Permadeath Support

knchmpgn
02-18-2011, 01:05 PM
Just a thought that occurred to me and I thought I might share it and get some feedback.

Many players, although in no way the majority of the game population, enjoy the idea of a permadeath character. While they are few and far between, many guilds have been established that dedicate themselves to a permadeath type of play. Therefore, my suggestion is this:

Perhaps, it might be possible to have a server or some such that is reserved for permadeath. Maybe a checkbox at character creation that, if checked, will automatically delete the character once he or she has died and all party members have left the instance.

Also, is there any way do away with this whole "status effect, stat damage, curses, etc" disappearing over time thing? Just for people playing in permadeath mode? I miss having to carry around potions of Lesser Restoration so I didn't accumulate so much str damage that I couldn't move then being forever stuck in a trap-filled basement en route to slay a spider named Redfang.

Khanyth
02-18-2011, 01:12 PM
This is NO disrespect to any permadeath players at all.

What percentage of people play a permadeath character? Less than 1%?

That's why there's no support. Why pay coders to code for something that less than 1% of people will use? It's an individual's choice to do so and there is no benefit to the player base en masse to do so. If you choose to play this way, this is the way it goes.

Again: this is NO disrespect to any permadeath players at all. It is what it is.

Hordo
02-18-2011, 01:15 PM
Just a thought that occurred to me and I thought I might share it and get some feedback.

Many players, although in no way the majority of the game population, enjoy the idea of a permadeath character. While they are few and far between, many guilds have been established that dedicate themselves to a permadeath type of play. Therefore, my suggestion is this:

Perhaps, it might be possible to have a server or some such that is reserved for permadeath. Maybe a checkbox at character creation that, if checked, will automatically delete the character once he or she has died and all party members have left the instance.

Also, is there any way do away with this whole "status effect, stat damage, curses, etc" disappearing over time thing? Just for people playing in permadeath mode? I miss having to carry around potions of Lesser Restoration so I didn't accumulate so much str damage that I couldn't move then being forever stuck in a trap-filled basement en route to slay a spider named Redfang.

1. Countless threads on same topic.
2. Don't need a server to serve so few folks.
3. What the heck are you doing in Memphis? I know a few folks here, but not all...and I'm on Khyber to boot.
4. I don't have a four, I got carried away.

Four20
02-18-2011, 01:22 PM
no one is stopping you guys from setting rules in your permadeath static group

if you can't trust the people you play with to follow the rules and not cheat, find new people to play with

i've said it before, adn ill say it again. i'd rather not see resources spent adding silly features like this into the game, when there is such a high demand for new content(or rebooting old content)

knchmpgn
02-18-2011, 01:22 PM
Yes, as I stated in my original post, I am aware that permadeath players are a minority. I used to play old ASCII based rogue-like games and I always thought that it was fun to have that rush of death being real. I also made this suggestion under the assumption that the proposed Permadeath Support would also provide incentive to play it. For example, a public scoreboard that showed players rank based on kill count, quests completed, chests looted, lvl achieved before death, etc.

I am very aware that I will never hope to see this....but like I said. Mostly just a bored Idea.

bryanmeerkat
02-18-2011, 01:27 PM
Yes, as I stated in my original post, I am aware that permadeath players are a minority. I used to play old ASCII based rogue-like games and I always thought that it was fun to have that rush of death being real. I also made this suggestion under the assumption that the proposed Permadeath Support would also provide incentive to play it. For example, a public scoreboard that showed players rank based on kill count, quests completed, chests looted, lvl achieved before death, etc.

I am very aware that I will never hope to see this....but like I said. Mostly just a bored Idea.

It would be nice , but as you say an idle fantasy . If they could click there fingers and it was done , great , but we know it dosent work like that so it will never be implemented

sephiroth1084
02-18-2011, 01:34 PM
FLOOD OF THE FAIL TOPICS!

I will throw my vote toward going back to debuffs that didn't expire over a short period of time (curse, stat damage, etc...).

Hordo
02-18-2011, 01:37 PM
FLOOD OF THE FAIL TOPICS!

I will throw my vote toward going back to debuffs that didn't expire over a short period of time (curse, stat damage, etc...).

The way you play, I figured they already had for your toons....;)

sephiroth1084
02-18-2011, 01:40 PM
The way you play, I figured they already had for your toons....;)
Hahaha! Whatever you say Backpack Cooler.

Hordo
02-18-2011, 01:41 PM
Hahaha! Whatever you say Backpack Cooler.

Keep it up Autocrit...the more you speak/type the more material you give us. :eek:

sephiroth1084
02-18-2011, 01:47 PM
Keep it up Autocrit...the more you speak/type the more material you give us. :eek:
Us? You and Tico are going to start to grow into one another pretty soon. You'll be this writhing mass of biting sarcasm and hapless deaths. :p

wonkey
02-18-2011, 01:48 PM
I'll start by saying I only play permadeath. Since discovering Mortal Voyage near when I started playing, I haven't done anything else. Because I think it's so much better than the experience I had before.

However, there is absolutely no need for the suggestions you're making. Even if they could snap and it would happen, I'd question whether it was worth the effort of the snap. The game doesn't exactly make it hard, mechanically, to delete your character. They don't need to help you do that.

I could get behind the idea of removing the timers from some things (not blindness, though. Maybe make it a bit longer, but I think it should never have been permanent. Also stat damage goes away at what I feel is a reasonably slow pace).

Now, if you want to talk about a dream that is unrealistic, I would rather see a 'hardcore' server. The problem being, of course, that 'hardcore' means something else to every single person, and this could never really satisfy a large portion of the population who would like a harder challenge. For example, just a few ideas range from no transferring loot between characters (including AH), no shrines, simply no rez shrines, returning to a significant death penalty (I'd LOVE this one, personally), hard and/or elite options only, etc. with different people wanting different things.

Again, not asking for this, because it simply could never be done 'well' in enough people's eyes. But it would be nice.

Hordo
02-18-2011, 01:56 PM
Us? You and Tico are going to start to grow into one another pretty soon. You'll be this writhing mass of biting sarcasm and hapless deaths. :p

Not bad. But if so, it will be the only writhing mass you'll see outside of downloads to your laptop...

sephiroth1084
02-18-2011, 02:07 PM
Not bad. But if so, it will be the only writhing mass you'll see outside of downloads to your laptop...
I can live with that.

Hordo
02-18-2011, 02:09 PM
I can live with that.

Absolutely...with the right hand cream you can even "live with it" more often...

sephiroth1084
02-18-2011, 04:47 PM
Absolutely...with the right hand cream you can even "live with it" more often...
If I "lived with it" any more often, I'd probably need to go to the hospital.

Impaqt
02-18-2011, 05:00 PM
oh boy! another permadeath server thread... at least its been a while since we saw one of these... guess we were due.

It would never be a viable way for Turbine to make money.

First and foremost, there is no universal Permadeath ruleset. the permadeath guilds would still use their own rules set... Like they do now.....

second, and most importantly, most permadeath guilds by no means force anyone to delete a character. the "Dead" character almost always has to leave the guild of course... but delete? Completely up to the person playing the charcter.

Mister_Peace
02-18-2011, 05:02 PM
"Hello, this is permadeath support. My name is Sam. How may I help you?"

"Hi Sam. My character died in a dungeon and my guildies told me to reroll. What does that mean?"

"What you need to do is log out, delete your character, and create a new character with the same name."

"Okay, thanks Sam."

Drakos
02-18-2011, 05:04 PM

Why would such a thing be needed. Permadeath is a play style that is entirely doable with the current game engine, but requires you as tha player to enforce. I see no need to devote any resources (dev time, servers, ect...) to allow for this since it can already be done.

/not signed

azrael4h
02-18-2011, 11:12 PM
1. Countless threads on same topic.
2. Don't need a server to serve so few folks.
3. What the heck are you doing in Memphis? I know a few folks here, but not all...and I'm on Khyber to boot.
4. I don't have a four, I got carried away.

All us Memphians go to Khyber!

This has been brought up before, time and time again. The costs of a server are high, much much higher than all of the permadeath players would bring in to support it. Especially since they're the types who never buy some of the top sellers in the store. That's even making the assumption that you could get them to agree with a standard PD ruleset, and furthermore move to another server.

Simply put, there are not enough of them, and they all have their own rules that they play by.