PDA

View Full Version : New player, least responsible class?

Velius2820
02-18-2011, 12:33 PM
Hello, I'm fairly new to ddo. I've played dnd so I'm familiar with the basics but I still find the game very confusing at times. I would like to play a starter character to 20 just to get my bearings and learn the ropes before deciding on a concrete main character. I'm really hoping to play a class that doesn't have tons of responsibilities. Being new to the game, I would rather not be in any stressful situations that will put a damper on my learning experience. For instance, healing or tanking will probably be a no go for me the first time around, and I really enjoy rogues but I wouldn't want to play my rogue through a quest for the first time not knowing where any of the traps are and having to lead the party. So I'm looking for a class that doesn't have much responsibility, so when I inevitably make mistakes it wont be a huge deal.

I'm assuming any class that fills a dps role would be a good option, but I also know that fighters/barbarians for example can be tanks as well as dps so I wouldn't want any misconceptions and get roped into tanking a quest. I was thinking maybe a bard? Taking on a support role seems like a very laid back experience to me. If anyone has any ideas I would be glad to hear them.

Thanks.

bryanmeerkat
02-18-2011, 12:38 PM
Hello, I'm fairly new to ddo. I've played dnd so I'm familiar with the basics but I still find the game very confusing at times. I would like to play a starter character to 20 just to get my bearings and learn the ropes before deciding on a concrete main character. I'm really hoping to play a class that doesn't have tons of responsibilities. Being new to the game, I would rather not be in any stressful situations that will put a damper on my learning experience. For instance, healing or tanking will probably be a no go for me the first time around, and I really enjoy rogues but I wouldn't want to play my rogue through a quest for the first time not knowing where any of the traps are and having to lead the party. So I'm looking for a class that doesn't have much responsibility, so when I inevitably make mistakes it wont be a huge deal.

I'm assuming any class that fills a dps role would be a good option, but I also know that fighters/barbarians for example can be tanks as well as dps so I wouldn't want any misconceptions and get roped into tanking a quest. I was thinking maybe a bard? Taking on a support role seems like a very laid back experience to me. If anyone has any ideas I would be glad to hear them.

Thanks.

Bard would do you well :) they can back up heal but noone expects them to be responsible for any healing , they give good group buffs , which you can do at the begining of each quest and then everyone will be happy with your input ,
Nobody cares if you kill anything , nobody cares if you heal or not . Your only responsibility is to hit your songs and away they go to do all tyhe hard work :)

Nobody cares if you are top of the killcount , or pulling your weight in the kill count . If you go spellsinger , clerics and mages love you , if you go warchater all the melees love you

YOu obviously can still get involved as well and gives you a taste for different aspects of the game without people depending on you to do any one thing well :)

Nobody ever blames the bard for a wipe :)

cdemeritt
02-18-2011, 12:38 PM

Thanks.

fighter or barbarian...

easy to build hard to ruin beyond repair, and generally just beat things in front of you...

Stay away from rogue... good class, but easy to ruin quickly when you don't know...
Rangers another solid class when the player knows what they are doing.
Casters tend to need more care of playing
healers are great fun, but difficult for a new player, more about the social interactions and resources...

bards are good, usually not a lot expected from a bard after they sing...

Kaeldur
02-18-2011, 12:46 PM
Bard would do you well :) they can back up heal but noone expects them to be responsible for any healing , they give good group buffs , which you can do at the begining of each quest and then everyone will be happy with your input ,
Nobody cares if you kill anything , nobody cares if you heal or not . Your only responsibility is to hit your songs and away they go to do all tyhe hard work :)

YOu obviously can still get involved as well and gives you a taste for different aspects of the game without people depending on you to do any one thing well :)

Nobody ever blames the bard for a wipe :)

Nobody ever blames the bard for a wipe... plus occasionally you'll hear/read "woah, awesome we got a bard!".

Just avoid Hound of Xoriat runs, cause people tend to put Bards on stones duty, that's the only time you might get blamed for a failure.

Bard is #1 piking class. But they're easy to gimp beyond repair, so just pay attention to what you're doing and search around the forums for bard builds...

The fact that you actually know what a forum is puts you ahead of 60% of the player base...

EKKM
02-18-2011, 12:50 PM
This one is pretty newb-proof and is only expected to kill stuff.

Level 20 Barb

Max STR
10 points into CON (EDIT: add 10 build points to CON, not 10 CON 'cause then you would suck. Thx Fejj)
Rest somewhere else besides charisma

Don't be an Elf

Feats
Power Attack
Toughness
Cleave
Improved crit - weapon you like (slash most likely)
Two Handed Fighting
Improved Two Handed Fighting
Stunning blow
Human - feat if applicable, Greater Two Handed Fighting

No one will expect you to tank unless you offer to. Face mob, swing wepaon, things die.

Bards are good to - not quite so newb-proof though. I would suggest a spellsinger style bard for a new player (see bard forums)

Khanyth
02-18-2011, 12:56 PM
Barb.

Dwarf, WF, Human or HOrc.

Despite what people say, if you're just trying it out, the Savage of the Wild premade character path is decent for a barb. Just add water and it makes its own sauce.

unbongwah
02-18-2011, 12:59 PM
It's hard to go wrong with a THF barb as a 1st-time 28-pt char, esp. if you don't want to have to deal with anything more complicated than "press Rage - hit things - chug potions - repeat." :) Shade's barb guide (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=296816) is a good place to start.

Impaqt
02-18-2011, 01:02 PM
Fighter is the Ultimate Piking/No Responsibility class in DDO Right now.

Barbarians almost always make better "Main Tanks"

You dont have a Blue bar so you will never have to worry about buffing folks.

You have no abilities that can effectively add to the DPS of the group as a whole.

You get so many feats, its really hard to make a "Bad" or "Gimped" build

grodon9999
02-18-2011, 01:04 PM
Fighter is the Ultimate Piking/No Responsibility class in DDO Right now.

Agreed, just go fighter. Nobody will expect you to do anything other than hit things. It's pretty hard to foul up, and barbs are asked more often to meatbag tank so you'll rearely be tasked to do anything more than hit things.

In my opinion, the best race for a first life is a dwarf. The extra CON is like having a built in HP item.

Fejj
02-18-2011, 01:06 PM
This one is pretty newb-proof and is only expected to kill stuff.

Level 20 Barb

Max STR
10 points into CON
Rest somewhere else besides charisma

Don't be an Elf

Feats
Power Attack
Toughness
Cleave
Improved crit - weapon you like (slash most likely)
Two Handed Fighting
Improved Two Handed Fighting
Stunning blow
Human - feat if applicable, Greater Two Handed Fighting

No one will expect you to tank unless you offer to. Face mob, swing wepaon, things die.

Bards are good to - not quite so newb-proof though. I would suggest a spellsinger style bard for a new player (see bard forums)

He means ADD 10 build points to con, not go with a 10 con. Just to clear that up for a new player. :)

licho
02-18-2011, 01:52 PM

Thanks.

Hi,
Getting your first toon to lv20 is a noble goal, however not many achieve that, maybe take it easy, and prepare to reroll your first character, or freeze it and make another, this time for serious. Its generallt nice to collect 100 favor, and get to the first PrE. Leveling second toon will go much faster. Also it takes the weight of "i must be epic ready" so it makes play more fun.

Less responsibilieties can be tricky, since you can feel useless, whats not so fun. Generally play smth you think is cool, even if its suboptimal.

The DPS role is good to think about, since there is always need for more dps. You do not need to worry about tanking, since AC tanking its not seen as the popular option, and untill you say so, or start intimi nobody will expect you to tank.
Both Fighter and Barbarian with 2h are the good option as 1st toon.

Rogues are a little tricky, since they have to care for agro, and works better with TWF for which 32p are welcome.

Bards are also nice alternative, since with song, blur for all and occasional rage ppl will like you, self healing also helps, however its better to read more about melee bards, to avoid mistakes like overinvesting in cha or bluff.

Talon_Moonshadow
02-18-2011, 01:56 PM
I'm actually going to suggest Ranger. Cause no one will actually ask you to fill any role....ever.

You will not be asked to main tank in any raid.....they will ask a Brb or Ftr. And will expect any Brb or Ftr to be capable of filling the role.
But they will not ask a Rgr.

Oh...many Rgrs might volunteer. any are built like trucks and do just fine in those roles. But I have never seen a Rgr get asked to fill those roles. It was always the Rgr who spoke up about his build first...not the other way around.

And I have sen Brbs and Ftrs get forced into main tank roles, when they clearly did not know what to do. I've also seen Pals get asked to tank too.

But Pal would be my second choice. I think once, when I was lvling up my Pal, I got asked if I could tank in the Hound raid.

Brd might be a choice as well, but people expec a Brd to have certain spells. They ask Bards to do things for them. Many people assume Bards can heal too.
So I personally do not think Brd is a good choice.

Ftr and Brb is ok. As generally people just expect you to melee things without instruction. But the expected Tanking role can bite an inexperienced, poorly equiped and built, new guy in the butt sometimes.

But my experiences playing Rgrs is that I was seldom asked to do anything.
In fact, most people don't even know what role that a rgr fills in a party.
They know some can be good tanks, but they consider tat the exception, and don't know wat the rest of them are.

doubledge
02-18-2011, 01:58 PM
don't listen to any of them. here is the answer to your problems. HORDO'S GUIDE TO PIKING; (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=287904&)

Velius2820
02-18-2011, 01:59 PM
Wow, i didn't expect to get so many responses so quickly. Thanks for all of the advice, I've looked at some builds and will decide between barb, bard or fighter. Thanks for the help.

bryanmeerkat
02-18-2011, 02:01 PM

Be warned though that if people dont know what you are for they may not want to play with you :)

don't listen to any of them. here is the answer to your problems. HORDO'S GUIDE TO PIKING; (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=287904&)

Hey , when you say dont listen to anybody you missed that Id pretty much said what Hordo says in that post . Except I dont go to do my Grocery shopping midraid ;)

doubledge
02-18-2011, 02:28 PM
I'm actually going to suggest Ranger. Cause no one will actually ask you to fill any role....ever.

You will not be asked to main tank in any raid.....they will ask a Brb or Ftr. And will expect any Brb or Ftr to be capable of filling the role.

Oh...many Rgrs might volunteer. any are built like trucks and do just fine in those roles. But I have never seen a Rgr get asked to fill those roles. It was always the Rgr who spoke up about his build first...not the other way around.

And I have sen Brbs and Ftrs get forced into main tank roles, when they clearly did not know what to do. I've also seen Pals get asked to tank too.

But Pal would be my second choice. I think once, when I was lvling up my Pal, I got asked if I could tank in the Hound raid.

Brd might be a choice as well, but people expec a Brd to have certain spells. They ask Bards to do things for them. Many people assume Bards can heal too.

Ftr and Brb is ok. As generally people just expect you to melee things without instruction. But the expected Tanking role can bite an inexperienced, poorly equiped and built, new guy in the butt sometimes.

They know some can be good tanks, but they consider tat the exception, and don't know wat the rest of them are.

wrong, they expect you to pike, or pew pew things.

Sarisa
02-18-2011, 02:56 PM
I'd go with a Kensai fighter. If you tell them you're Kensai, you're likely not going to be asked to in the average group. It fulfills a necessary part of a raid, but one where there is little responsibility besides beating on what the leader tells you to. Tempest Ranger is another good choice. With a Ranger, you may be asked to pass out resistances, Freedom of Movement, and Jump, along with Barkskin to the people who actually care about AC.

This doesn't mean you don't have any responsibility. You need DR breakers or solid DPS weapons to use against the raid bosses. You need to carry and use curse removal potions. You need to know when to back off and let a hate tank gain aggro; and when to go all out to kill a boss before you get destroyed (by explosive bats for instance).

A Bard CAN be a good choice, as in an average group you won't be expected to do much besides keep the songs, Haste, and Rage up. The problem is once you get into higher levels (not levels as in 1-20, but in play quality), you will be expected to do much more. A well played Bard is almost vital for certain high end raids, and makes other quests throughout the game much much easier.

Paladin requires difficult stat planning, and works far better as a 32+ point build than a 28 point build. That said, they can be a great learning character because in the lower levels, they're hardy and self-healing melees that can still dish out good damage.

Arcane Archer can have a steeper learning curve in how to avoid damage and, while great in a group if played well, it is very noticeable when played poorly.

Barbarians can be easy to play, but a Barb is often times asked to tank certain raids. This may be a responsibility you said you don't want to do. Barbarian is best if you want to see big damage numbers.

Rogues, while a very interesting class that appeals to a lot of new players, are a poor choice. There is a lot of responsibility put onto the Rogue's back, and Rogues are a VERY equipment dependent class. Rogues are also far better off with a 32 or higher point build than 28. In the lower levels, 3-7 or 8; even if you are able to keep up with good tools and the best search and disable swap-in items you can, you can still blow traps. Without keeping up with your gear, you will have a lot more trouble. Blowing up a trap box is very embarrassing, and people will notice. On top of the gearing concerns, Rogues are on the squishier side, only gaining 6HP per level. You need to be far more careful with aggro management.

Impaqt
02-18-2011, 03:05 PM

No true. they just dont ask you anymore... ;)

there are a couple big reasons to NOT play a ranger..

1.. You do have a blue bar. You will be asked to provide some buffs. Not a hardship by any means, but if you are looking to stay under the radar, that s not it.

2: the Ranged Factor. As we all know, ranger melee dps is quite good, but many new players feel "Ranger" = "Archer"

Pulling out a bow for a new player can be a horrifying experience. accidentally pulling aggro after a manyshot.... Getting too much aggro on ya from Improved Precise shot.... Running for your life as the party tries in vain to catch the mobs you are kiting...

not a good plan.

Tobril
02-18-2011, 03:08 PM
Don't be an Elf

This sounds like my plan for Godzilla, which is as follows:

Don't be Japanese.

(I <3 Japanese people, but face it, Godzilla eats a lot of you guys)

Propane
02-18-2011, 03:08 PM
If I had to start over (or new on a different server) I would go bard.

Warchanter or Spellsinger - max Haggle, Perform, and UMD. CON at least 14.

Buff, sing, and follow others around - swing a few times, through a few heals - you will be fine.

With a high Haggle - you will have more than enough coin to fund your other alts :)

pie2655
02-18-2011, 03:10 PM
Bard or Ranger probably AA (arcane archer). Bards are pikers and arent many healers all youll need is to buff at the beginning of quests. And rangers arent usualyl main DPS and arcane archers can just stand back and range.

Pape_27
02-18-2011, 03:13 PM
The real answer to the question posed by the op is "Battle Cleric".

and even name your toon "Ima Battlecleric" or "Meesa BattleKlerik" and put it in your bio, too.

Go hit things with your mace, drop a few spells, and cure yourself of any hp loss or maladys and dont worry about anyone else.

Oh, and if anyone says anything to you about it (most likely those that die the most will) just say "Sorry, I can't heal stupid".

Sholia
02-18-2011, 03:18 PM
I'll have to recommend a Bard as well. Sing a few songs, be generous with buffs, and it doesn't seem to matter what you do after that so long as you stay out of trouble. I started a Spellsinger a little while ago and I still feel guilty that I'm often just a tourist, but I know those buffs and occasional well-timed CCs or spot heals are appreciated. The fact that I hit like a wet noodle (when I do manage to hit) is thankfully, inconsequential.

Get the Extend Spell feat. Learn Rage, Haste and Displacement. Cast them with whatever frequency your spell pool can manage. Enjoy the ride.

It's true that Bards are capable of piking like no other, but you can still be a contributor if you wish to. But I've found that so long as I'm not draining the healer's spell points and I'm putting up icons across the tops of people's screens, no one asks for anything more.

bryanmeerkat
02-18-2011, 03:18 PM
The real answer to the question posed by the op is "Battle Cleric".

and even name your toon "Ima Battlecleric" or "Meesa BattleKlerik" and put it in your bio, too.

Go hit things with your mace, drop a few spells, and cure yourself of any hp loss or maladys and dont worry about anyone else.

Oh, and if anyone says anything to you about it (most likely those that die the most will) just say "Sorry, I can't heal stupid".

If the battlecleric is playing like that the appropraite answer to that statement is "but I saw you healing yourself?"

Dont play battlecleric on your first toon as its playing them badly that gives the build a bad name

doubledge
02-18-2011, 03:20 PM
The real answer to the question posed by the op is &quot;Battle Cleric&quot;.

and even name your toon &quot;Ima Battlecleric&quot; or &quot;Meesa BattleKlerik&quot; and put it in your bio, too.

Oh, and if anyone says anything to you about it (most likely those that die the most will) just say &quot;Sorry, I can't heal stupid&quot;.

gimped battlecleric=warchanter. there is your answer

Pape_27
02-18-2011, 03:27 PM
gimped battlecleric=warchanter. there is your answer

hmmmm... warchanters are fun. Have two of them parked at level 4. Currently they are storage depots.

just trying to have a little bit of fun with the whole issue, sorry if anyone took it badly.

Basically the OP should roll a few different toons, take them thru korthos. By the time he's done with MP, he will get an idea whether or not he likes said class. I rolled (and deleted) a fighter, a ranger, a paladin and a barb before i settled on cleric as my first class. Its more about finding what you like to do in the game as opposed to whats the easiest class to play (pike).

Caine33
02-18-2011, 03:27 PM
This sounds like my plan for Godzilla, which is as follows:

Don't be Japanese.

(I <3 Japanese people, but face it, Godzilla eats a lot of you guys)

Spilt my coffee...+1

doubledge
02-18-2011, 03:31 PM
hmmmm... warchanters are fun. Have two of them parked at level 4. Currently they are storage depots.

just trying to have a little bit of fun with the whole issue, sorry if anyone took it badly.

Basically the OP should roll a few different toons, take them thru korthos. By the time he's done with MP, he will get an idea whether or not he likes said class. I rolled (and deleted) a fighter, a ranger, a paladin and a barb before i settled on cleric as my first class. Its more about finding what you like to do in the game as opposed to whats the easiest class to play (pike).

how can you be a wc if you don't have the enhancement? methinks you need 2 more levels.

Tobril
02-18-2011, 03:34 PM
On a serious note, I'm going to second the nomination for bard.

Even if you decide you don't like it you'll still have a character that can generate significant income.

Pape_27
02-18-2011, 03:34 PM
how can you be a wc if you don't have the enhancement? methinks you need 2 more levels.

Proposed warchanters then, if that suits your sensibilities better. If I ever get around to leveling them.

Loromir
02-18-2011, 03:35 PM
Roll a Human or Half-orc Pure Fighter. Max Strength and Con for your starting Stats (All Level ups in str)and take most if not all THF (Two Handed Fighting)feats at level ups. Pick your favorite Weapon among Great Axe, Great Sword, Falchion, Maul or Great Club. Then just try to beat down everything you see. It may not be the most original of builds, but it will be the easiest for a first timer to play. Not much chance to screw it up.

By the time you get a good feel for the game, then roll your first Cleric. I really enjoy playing Clerics.

WirelessJoe
02-18-2011, 03:39 PM
fighter or barbarian...

Stay away from rogue... good class, but easy to ruin quickly when you don't know...

I may have been lucky, but my first toon was a rogue and I found it very easy to play. Nothing to mem/change out/forget components for like a caster, not expected to tank, lead or kite like a mele. Because Rogues are so neglected and difficult to build well, you don't get an abundance of flavor builds (or flavor gear, for that matter) to sort through; just search the forums for an Assassin build from a veteran Rogue (anyone who plays pure rogue for more than a few levels, esp to level 20, has a good build) and you're on your way. Basically, you just pay attention to HP, keep your search, spot and disable maxed, keep your +skill gear up to level, remember to carry tools and follow the group. Eventually you'll be at the top of most kill counts.

...I really enjoy rogues but I wouldn't want to play my rogue through a quest for the first time not knowing where any of the traps are and having to lead the party.

You don't have to worry about knowing where the traps are. Either the barbarian will trigger them as he zergs ahead so you know where they are, or everyone will suddenly stop zerging ahead of you at a door or stairway, at which time you just hit the search button. Also, successful rogues never lead, they stay out of the fight until the last moments, then grab all the kills.

Angelus_dead
02-18-2011, 04:14 PM
I'm assuming any class that fills a dps role would be a good option, but I also know that fighters/barbarians for example can be tanks as well as dps so I wouldn't want any misconceptions and get roped into tanking a quest.
Traditional tanking is not used in most DDO quests.

You're getting many suggestions for Fighter or Barbarian, but I suggest Paladin or Ranger instead. They're all melee DPS guys, but the latter two are more self-sufficient in terms of survivability, making your own unfamiliarity with the enemy threats less demanding on you.

LordMond63
02-18-2011, 08:04 PM
Probably going to catch a bit of flack for this but I'll say it anyway.

If you are looking for a class that is pretty much one-dimensional, especially when played by new recruits to DDO, then Fighter is probably the best choice you could make. As has been stated before, they are tasked only with killing stuff via sword or axe. There aren't many subtleties with them and they are pretty much always not only welcomed but indeed sought-after for groups.

If you're looking not to put all of your talents into a single basket, I have to say that Bards are fun. And yes, you can absolutely get by in a group just using your songs as buffs at the beginning of the quest, at rest shrines and before the final fight(s). The advantage that the Bard has over the Fighter is that, as your knowledge and skill grows, so too do the capabilities of the class.

The fact that you came to these forums prompts me to conclude that you might get bored with a Fighter fairly soon, as the typical order players follow is getting bored with the class first and THEN coming here to rant/complain about being bored with the class. You might be ready for more of a challenge than you think.

Faent
02-18-2011, 08:21 PM

Do not listen to this suggestion. It is very bad. Learning how to level a new ranger is not easy. You will very likely be a serious drain on many groups, and people will learn to hate you. Fighter is the best answer. Bard is not a bad choice either.

FlyingTurtle
02-18-2011, 08:28 PM
***, people. Some serious nonsense here. Dude's asking for the most straighforward class to play. It's not like it's a subject for debate.

It's hard to go wrong with a THF barb as a 1st-time 28-pt char, esp. if you don't want to have to deal with anything more complicated than "press Rage - hit things - chug potions - repeat." :) Shade's barb guide (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=296816) is a good place to start.

THIS.

or a 2HF fighter.

t0r012
02-18-2011, 08:43 PM
I see it as you have 2 options.

first the traditional piker bard. sing your songs throw an extended haste & rage and viola`. our all set, pike away. heck grab any weapon you want and swing it if you want but I suggest a repeating crossbow. keeps you out of harms way mostly and they are cheap.

my second suggestion is going to sound a little out of left field.
a THF paladin, yes even a 28 point paladin.
hear he out on this , you still get to have fun and beat on things, gear requirements are minimal and nobody expects anything from you. Unlike a fighter that may need to get dr breakers which can be expensive for a fighter/ranger/barbarian. where as all you have to do is get to level 14 and be able to cast level 4 spells and have 1200 plat to buy a holysword component.
you most of all the fun of being able to run around and beat on things with little to no responsibility coupled with self healing through spells , lay on hands and wands withou anyone expecting you to cast anything on/for them. most people don't even remember that a pally can cast resists on them, so the don't ask. if they do cool you contributed.

You get to have fun do damage and worry about little else that every other class has to worry about.
I'd go
16 str (all level ups here)
8 dex
14 con
8 int
10 wis (to help ease the equipment requirement)
16 cha

grab the highest str,con and cha items you can as you level. wear the highest fortification item you can as soon as you can. swing the best two hander you find, doesn't mater what , maul, great axe, great sword. (i'd avoid the great club unless its an undead beater)

Bart_D
02-18-2011, 08:46 PM
I'd go with a warchanter bard, it was the first character i capped and i had a fun, easy time doing it.

You can find many versions/builds with thw/twf, adding 2-5 levels of 1-2 of fighter, rogue, barbarian. I like a khopesh+twf'ing human (starting stats can be 16 15 14 8 8 12 with 28pt) with fighter and rogue levels, bard15/rogue3/fighter2 or 16/2/2. Rogue levels are nice for evasion but might make people expect you to do traps...

Some quick links:
http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=2789906&postcount=6
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=195090
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=302253

Edit: Why are bards called pikers? You're *always* buffed and can have good dps with a little effort. Oh well, best to keep expectations low i guess :)

Alexkawasaki7
02-18-2011, 09:02 PM
Start with whatever you want to play. Ddo is the only mmo, or rpg I've ever played or liked. Before that, I was all about halo. I started on an elf caster. Anyway, my point is. Do whatever you want to. You're the one paying for your character slots, so have fun with them.

Alex301
02-18-2011, 09:04 PM
A bard is a great first toon. Not only because very little is expected from you but also because you get a taste of lots of different roles; you have some limited healing ability, melee ability and crowd control. By having some experience of these roles you will also have a greater appreciation and consideration for the group and how it is your combined efforts that lead to success, allowing you to be a more effective player.

For example, it is sadly quite common for new barbarians to run ahead of the group and get all the aggro while the healer is desperately trying to keep you alive before running out of sp long before you'll reach the next shrine. Instead, waiting for the tank to grab the aggro and then cleaning up will lead to a much smoother and effective run.

While this is a simple example, it highlights that you need to be aware of people's strengths and weaknesses and how your actions affect the group, i.e. letting the tank get the aggro means he will be getting hit less and in turn means the healer is spending less sp on healing which will increase the groups survivability dramatically.

This basic awareness and insight into how the different classes, that make up your group, work will make you a better player no matter what role you assume.

Starjumper327
02-22-2011, 12:02 AM
I'd either go Vanguard Warrior (fighter) or Classic Rocker (bard). Vanguard Warrior because you just go around killing stuff with a big sharp stick, but you might need a cleric at times. Classic Rocker because you sing a song then kill bad guys. I have a Classic Rocker and its pretty easy to play.

Fenrisulven6
02-22-2011, 12:28 AM
Fighter is your best bet. Most PUGs I run with look for 2-3 melees, so its much easier to get invites to quests.

No to Ranger because they have a bad kiting rep - first time you pull out a bow and draw too much aggro, everyone will come down on you hard because of all the other rangers who have ticked them off.

No to Bard because too many PUGs think more than 1 Bard in group is 2 too many.

No to Barbarian because they also have a bad rep for being mana sponges (although this is really a good 2nd choice if you play him smart)

When you can handle a bit more, Cleric is actually your best choice - you'll learn more about party roles, class abilities and teamwork from watching in the back. And you'll never have to worry about finding a group. Just remember that command and soundburst are your bread and butter till you get greater command at 9th.

MrWizard
02-22-2011, 01:42 AM

Thanks.

I would suggest, to learn the mechanics and not be in a terribly responsible role, a straight fighter is best. There is a lot of room to make mistakes at first and still be of value.
Many easy builds are available.

Not having to worry about spell casting, range, and so much of the extra stuff allows you to concentrate on the basics of inventory, toolbars, and the like. A not so good fighter is less of a problem than a bad caster or healer..in my opinion.