PDA

View Full Version : Question about Maiming Rocksplitters



Ryan220
02-16-2011, 03:30 AM
I have a pair of unbound maiming rocksplitters that Im not 100% sure what to do with as I dont have a TWF.

Are they good enough to warrant building a TWF with IC:Piercing to use them?

Im sure they're ML 12 - to what level would they be good for until superceded by better weapons?


Any advice appreciated

FuzzyDuck81
02-16-2011, 04:37 AM
They're decent for general use but can be superseded by a lot of other gear pretty easily which will have higher crit range, better base damage for regular attacks etc. Where they really shine is for beating stuff down in autocrit situations, which naturally wont require IC & wont even require proficiency or the 2wf feats.

blitzschlag
02-16-2011, 04:42 AM
if any of your char regularly runs epics theyre of immense use for every one of your chars.

Brennie
02-16-2011, 05:25 AM
They're decent for general use but can be superseded by a lot of other gear pretty easily which will have higher crit range, better base damage for regular attacks etc. Where they really shine is for beating stuff down in autocrit situations, which naturally wont require IC & wont even require proficiency or the 2wf feats.

I agree that maiming rocksplitters are one of the better choices for autocrit situations, which you will find happen more often in late game (When monks get good stunning wraps and ki generation, when casters get Mass Hold Monster, when earth elementals are being summoned and various auto-hold effects on weapons/items/guard become more common).

However, i disagree about the TWF statement. Without TWF you have a 20% chance for you offhand to "proc", or swing. With GTWF, you have an 80% chance. Thats 60% more offhand DPS with that maiming rocksplitter against a held enemy.

As for building a new character with TWF - Do it. Any character will do, from a good 12 ranger/7 fighter/1 rogue, or warchanter bard, or pure fighter, or barb, or Paladin, or whathaveyou. Frankly, any character with greater two weapon fighting and decent *oomph* behind their hits will make good use of those. However, theres no reason to focus on peircing weapons. Focusing on heavy picks will make you slightly underperform in non-autocrit situations. Being focused on kopeshes or rapier or scimitars for 90% of content, and just breaking those out for autocrit situations is totally viable.

However, if you really want the best bang for your buck, consider a Two-weapon focused Heavy Pick Kensai. Between kensai stacking seeker bonuses, bonus damage from kensai and fighter, high strength, power attack, 10% double strike from the capstone, power surge, and haste boost, you will be an auto-crit damage dealing machine! Toss in Stunning blow, and figure out a way to get a solid DC on it (High strength, kensai bonuses, fighter enhancement bonuses, possibly dwarf for more enhancement bonuses or Horc for strength bonuses) and you can create your OWN autocrit situations :D

Isolani
02-16-2011, 05:49 AM
Agree with Brennie, I made a heavy pick kensai just to play around with maiming rocksplitters. I went WF personally, with all the tactics enhancements you get a pretty solid stunning blow DC even without a stunner equipped. Good enough for most general questing. Swap in a +10 stunner for hard to stun mobs.

FuzzyDuck81
02-16-2011, 08:06 AM
I was only referring to 2wf not being required for chance to hit them in autocrits - though yes, naturally having the 2wf line will make your dps higher from the off hand proccing more often :)

Paleus
02-16-2011, 08:14 AM
I'd hock them on the AH for a decent price personally or use them as trade bait for something you really do want. Yes, they are good weapons and a cheap alternative in terms of effort to the better options so people who value their time more than their plat/trade items will take them off your hands for a good price I think.

However, for you to really benefit from them you would have to pretty much level up a lvl20 twf melee character. That takes time so if you werent planning to do that, I think you would benefit more from converting them into something you really would benefit from. That said, if you have plat and lds already bulging out of your pockets you might as well just hold onto them til the day you do feel like rolling up a toon that would bemefit from them. I just wouldnt feel rushed to put them into service on a character that really wouldnt benefit from the,.

Kinerd
02-16-2011, 04:55 PM
Heavy picks have the same effective critical profile and base damage as rapiers. If you aren't going to use khopeshes, Maiming Rocksplitters are respectable weapons in all DPS situations if you don't have a DPS green steel weapon. With Pierce specialization, you can switch to rapiers when you want to use things like banishing or smiting. It's a pretty interesting set of options.